US OPEN WINNER TO GET A LEXUS?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US OPEN WINNER TO GET A LEXUS?!

Fumus
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Why not an American car, wtf?

I guess Lexus makes good stuff but it's not Mercedes. Where's GM? Weren't they the usual sponsor?

http://www.usta.com/presentations/imgs/05/08/NWL/Lexus/open_email_img.jpg

For the first time ever, the US Open Men's Singles Champion will be awarded an all-new 2006 Lexus GS 430. Tennis and automotive aficionados alike can view the GS 430 up close and in person on the grounds of the US Open. This athletic vehicle is a champion on any surface with a powerful V8 engine, standard 18-inch wheels and performance tires. It's the ideal sport sedan for the driver who demands the precise fusion of power and control.

http://www.usta.com/presentations/imgs/05/08/NWL/Lexus/open_event_logo.gif

Later this year, Lexus will be releasing the all-new IS. And as an Official

Sponsor of the 2005 US Open, Lexus is proud to offer US Open.org newsletter subscribers access to the IS prelaunch site. You are also invited to sign up for communications about Lexus concept vehicles, technological innovations and other privileged information.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
if merceds supports atp tour how can lexus sponsor us open?

Fumus
08-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Well that's a good question but an easy answer. The Atp is nothing...lol. The slams are their own seperate group and they do whatever they want. The slams could take over tennis if they wanted. So slams have their own sponsors, ad campagins etc., they just chose to co-operate and use the ATPs ranking system. I wish all the organizations would just join together.

Fee
08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
The previous sponsor was Lincoln-Mercury.
Yes, Mercedes sponsors the men, and I think Porsche may still sponsor the women, but the Slams are allowed to do whatever they want.
Lexus makes better, longer lasting cars than Mercedes-Benz, in my opinion (and based on the JD Power consumer satisfaction survey). :D

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 06:22 PM
The previous sponsor was Lincoln-Mercury.
Yes, Mercedes sponsors the men, and I think Porsche may still sponsor the women, but the Slams are allowed to do whatever they want.
Lexus makes better, longer lasting cars than Mercedes-Benz, in my opinion (and based on the JD Power consumer satisfaction survey). :D
A mercedes is just a status symbol cars like Audi to me are much better!!:drool:

jazz_girl
08-24-2005, 06:23 PM
They get a car? This is great! David will be extremely motivated :banana: :lol:

JMG
08-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Interesting news for Federer and a nice car.

lau
08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
I donīt know how it works with slams, but there are ATP tournaments that are sponsored by others..... For example, Barcelona is sponsored by Seat and there are no Mercedes logos anywhere in the courts.
:scratch: I know there is at least other tournament more, but I canīt remember it right now....

Kyla
08-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Car is always good - Nalby needs another one for his fleet and I'm sure he hasn't got a Lexus already :lol:

Kyla
08-24-2005, 06:36 PM
I donīt know how it works with slams, but there are ATP tournaments that are sponsored by others..... For example, Barcelona is sponsored by Seat and there are no Mercedes logos anywhere in the courts.
:scratch: I know there is at least other tournament more, but I canīt remember it right now....

Munich's sponsored by BMW and of course the FO by Peugeot :D

Fee
08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
The Mercedes deal is with the ATP tour and they extend that deal to some, but not all of the tournaments (San Jose uses Mercedes cars, but I've heard that Memphis does not). Must be some provisions of the contract that allow this to happen and I think it may be based on their exposure in each particular area where a tournament is held. The last few years at San Jose there has been a rumor that MB is pulling out because their sales in the bay area are declining (but then we show up for the meeting and all of the cars are there, so who knows).

Saumon
08-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Will Rafa get a 5th car even if he's not able to drive it?? :tape:

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
toni should teach nadal to drive already...........aisshh that shit is embarassing!!

DanEd
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I was thinking the same :haha:
that is great for david hehe
They get a car? This is great! David will be extremely
motivated :banana: :lol:

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 07:17 PM
a LETSUCK car would be better :retard: :crazy: ;)

Geniey2g
08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
5th?! I knew he won one in Stuttgart, but when did he win the other 3?

Saumon
08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
he won one in barcelona too i think
and he got 2 from kia (one of his sponsors)

smucav
08-24-2005, 08:02 PM

I guess Lexus makes good stuff but it's not Mercedes. Where's GM? Weren't they the usual sponsor?http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=41271

Fumus
08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Yea, but it's dumb the largest tennis event in America should feature an Amercian vehicle as a prize.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Yea, but it's dumb the largest tennis event in America should feature an Amercian vehicle as a prize.
:secret: American cars are generally not that nice!!! :bolt:

Fumus
08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
:secret: American cars are generally not that nice!!! :bolt:

That maybe but atleast they are made here by Americans. :)

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Imagine giving out a Ford Focus
The finalists might be too embarrassed to win

Seleshfan
08-24-2005, 09:01 PM
a LETSUCK car would be better :retard: :crazy: ;)

Why not Lixass? Who we kidding, you'll do both in any car, regardless of its name. :)

Clara Bow
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Imagine giving out a Ford Focus

Heee! Or they could rock it, grandpa style in a Mercury Grand Marquis.

RogerRocks
08-24-2005, 09:13 PM

I guess Lexus makes good stuff but it's not Mercedes. Where's GM? Weren't they the usual sponsor?

I hope I'm just misinterpreting the quoted statement and u don't really think Mercedes is an american brand

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I hope I'm just misinterpreting the quoted statement and u don't really think Mercedes is an american brand
No, but I think he intended to imply that, like Mercedes, it has German origins but doesn't have the same snobvalue as a Merc

RogerRocks
08-24-2005, 09:25 PM
No, but I think he intended to imply that, like Mercedes, it has German origins but doesn't have the same snobvalue as a Merc

Merc :confused:

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Merc :confused:

No? Never heard it being called a Merc? Not that I own one, but several colleagues who do talk casually about their silver mercs

RogerRocks
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
No? Never heard it being called a Merc? Not that I own one, but several colleagues who do talk casually about their silver mercs

I don't get if Mercedes and Merc is the same or somethign different. It sounds confusing now

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't get if Mercedes and Merc is the same or somethign different. It sounds confusing now
yes, same thing. Merc is short for Mercedes
Read more here --scroll down-- http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,752100,00.html
It's commonly used among people, thought everyone said it

RogerRocks
08-24-2005, 09:43 PM
yes, same thing. Merc is short for Mercedes
Read more here --scroll down-- http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,752100,00.html
It's commonly used among people, thought everyone said it

It's rather just called a Benz here. Never heard Merc

Fumus
08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Yea, I don't think Mercedes is American, gimmee more credit than that. Thanks Mitalidas ;-)

Yea, I think the winners should get a Dodge Viper or Caddy or sumtin.

Fee
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Lexus is Japanese, the luxury brand of Toyota.

American cars are not necessarily made in America, quite a few of them are made in Mexico or Canada. Lincoln-Mercury had the contract for a number of years, but I don't think they ever gave a vehicle to the winner (here you go Roger, here's your Escape Hybrid!).

RogerRocks
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Yea, I don't think Mercedes is American, gimmee more credit than that. Thanks Mitalidas ;-)

Yea, I think the winners should get a Dodge Viper or Caddy or sumtin.

as long as it's not a Hummer. Ugly those are

Fumus
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM

Yea, I think if Roger wins they should give gime a Hyundai Accent or Geo Metro.

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Yea, I think if Roger wins they should give gime a Hyundai Accent or Geo Metro.
why would they show so much love for him? How about just a KIA

njnetswill
08-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Kia beats a Metro. :o

Clara Bow
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM

I agree with you Yoda! ;)

sigmagirl91
08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
They get a car? This is great! David will be extremely motivated :banana: :lol:

I had the same thought. ;)

sigmagirl91
08-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Or a Ford Pinto :o

blosson
08-24-2005, 10:51 PM
oh no it got to be a Fiat Cappuccino

Scotso
08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I'll take one.

Kias aren't bad cars. They're nice for us poor working class folk.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Unless his clothing sponsor changes, shouldn't Nadal get a Ford Capri instead?