Will He or Wont He [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will He or Wont He

stebs
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Do you think that during his career Roger will ever win the grand slam? It is possibly the hardest feat in tennis and i personally think he probably won't quite manage it although obviously there is no way we can say as Roger has a lot of time left to play.

iliketennis
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Not a chance.

Kyla
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
I voted "he will" - simply coz I WANT HIM TO :D

iliketennis
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Let's not be biased. I can see him winning 2 or 3 in a year a few more times in his career. The pressure of acheiving a Grand Slam is too much for Roger.

disturb3d
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Nadal could do it in a few years time... But Roger? Hell no.
His time at the top is almost over.

Angle Queen
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
I believe Roger will win a "career" GS...by eventually adding RG to his resume. But as for winning all four in one year...no-no. There are too many other good players.

Fedex
08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
No, I dont think so. As dominate as he has been, the game remains far too competitive for one player to win all 4 slams in a single season.

jtipson
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM

You might as well say that for Nadal too :)

I don't think Roger will win the GS, as much as I'd like him too. Nadal probably has less chance than Gasquet.

Fedex
08-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I think Federer is the only guy with a legitimate chance of winning the slam. I could see Nadal winning 3/4 majors(though not in one season), but I dont see him winning Wimbledon.

Castafiore
08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Again: it's too soon to talk about a career slam for Nadal and most certainly for Gasquet.
So, that's not relevant here.

Federer? Does he stand a chance? Yes, sure but that's not the question, is it?
Will he get it? My answer? I hate predictions so I say that it's too difficult to tell. A lot of things can happen in the mean time. (can I be more vague? ;) )

In short: yes, he has a chance for a career slam.

Corinna
08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
it is difficult to tell - but i don't think so, he will has to defeat nadal at the french open etc....t is too difficult - you always have to play on your best, so i doubt it

Mistaflava
08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Roger will never win at Roland Garros. much like Pete Sampras, he can't win on clay. As long as Rafa is around (which is for the rest of Roger's life), he will never take the FRENCH OPEN.

RogiFan88
08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
haven't we done this one already???

Dirk
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Roger will never win at Roland Garros. much like Pete Sampras, he can't win on clay. As long as Rafa is around (which is for the rest of Roger's life), he will never take the FRENCH OPEN.

Stop comparing Pete and Roger on clay because it's not a fair comparison. Roger could beat Rafa at RG some year. The idea that he won't be able to adapt long enough to not error himself to death against Nadal is ridiculous. Roger only has a few clay titles because he doesn't play much clay tennis. Roger is one of the top clay courters in the world.

Blaze
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
here we go again

oneandonlyhsn
08-24-2005, 04:23 PM
To hard to tell, Nadal will not be winning Wimby soon as long as they are big servers around. Its only a matter of time before Roger wins RG, he needs to be more committed to it, once he does he has shown that he can play on the dirt. As for the career slam I think its too much to ask for from a player. But I hope he can do it, just so that I can witness a tennis legend.

Scotso
08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
No. I'm not convinced he'll ever win RG.

Art&Soul
08-24-2005, 04:28 PM
As a fan i wish he could, that would be awesome :)

guinevere_79
08-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Can Roger win all the four major titles in a single calendar year? NO, it's just too impossible for any player to do this, especially considering how close Wimbledon and Roland Garros are. It's hard to imagine any player winning these two tournaments back to back, let alone winning all four GS titles in a year! The days of Bjorn Borg are long gone...

Can Roger achieve a career Grand Slam? YES. He might even be able to accomplish it next year. Roger has proven in the last two years that all he has to do is to focus on achieving something, and he usually achieves it. Sure, Rafa is the top clay courter right now, he is the only obstacle really. I truly believe that Roger can dominate all the other noted clay courters out there, as shown by his domination of Coria. Despite Roger's loss to Rafa at the semi-final of Roland Garros this year, that match proved to me that he can compete with Rafa on clay.

jacobhiggins
08-24-2005, 06:37 PM
If Federer can learn to play this good on grass and hard courts, he can learn how to play on clay, he's the best talent the game has ever seen, it's all up to Federer really, I predict in 2 to three years he will have the french open title!

disturb3d
08-24-2005, 09:24 PM
If Federer can learn to play this good on grass and hard courts, he can learn how to play on clay, he's the best talent the game has ever seen, it's all up to Federer really, I predict in 2 to three years he will have the french open title!Roger's only slam hope is Wimbledon. Where he might pull a 'Sampras'.
Nadal will dominate clay and hardcourt for atleast 4-5 years.

marifline
08-24-2005, 09:30 PM
No..because Nadal wont let him the FO..or perhaps if Nadal can't play it...perhaps on a very lucky year it could happen but I thing in normal time NO