Interesting: Nadal includes Basel in his schedule [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Interesting: Nadal includes Basel in his schedule

megadeth
08-24-2005, 03:27 AM
that means roger will really have to play Basel now. i'm sure he would want to win it and not let nadal say "vamos" tere. not in his house for sure!

source: nadal's website

dream finals:

madrid: federer/ nadal
basel: federer/ nadal

if these match ups happen, it would be cool that they can gun at each other alternately in their home countries...

guinevere_79
08-24-2005, 05:02 AM
This is weird. Nadal has already won five optional events, so winning in Basel would not improve his rankings. Plus, Nadal is also entered in the China event right? Is the Basel tournament worth more points than the other optionals Nadal has won?

Then again, Roger could also have five optional wins by then, if he prevails in Bangkok.

jtipson
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes, it could improve his ranking, but not for long (Rafa has six optional slots until Bercy). It's more likely he wants practice indoors, which is his worst surface.

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Nadal's schedule is :retard: If he keeps playing that much ... :sad: :smash:

star
08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I think he is not scheduling with the idea of winning or getting into the finals each time.

Plus, he wants to make the race for number one closer.

Alvarillo
08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
but Rafa will try to do the best in Madrid and if he reaches last rounds he'll withdraw from Basel!

star
08-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I think that's probably true.

And then we can have a thread started here about how Nadal is avoiding Federer, etc. :lol:

PamV
08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe he wants more experience on indoor hardcourt which will be the same as surface as TMC.

Action Jackson
08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Basel is actually carpet and the TMC will be hardcourt, though the ATP said it will be outdoors, then again it will only take 10 mins to make it indoors.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Basel is actually carpet and the TMC will be hardcourt, though the ATP said it will be outdoors, then again it will only take 10 mins to make it indoors.
hows the weather in shanghai at that time of the year? wouldnt it be too cold?!

jtipson
08-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Here's the information on the TMC surface: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/...05ITW/ITW13.pdf

Unfortunately the tournament information on the ATP site still says outdoor hardcourt, and that's probably because it hasn't been updated from last year yet.

Someone on another site spoke with Greg Sharko in Cincy last week to confirm whether the roof would be open, and reported that Greg "wasn't 100% sure, but he was fairly sure the roof will remain closed during the whole event. They don't want the elements to impact the artificial carpet too much."

So it looks like it's going to be carpet, indoors.

Skyward
08-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Plus, he wants to make the race for number one closer.

He's already filled out his 5 optionals.

PamV
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
On Federer's site they listed Basel as indoor hardcourt. That's why I thought it was hardcourt. In any case it all adds up to experience. I wonder if any of this will be on Sports Stars?

Scotso
08-24-2005, 03:23 PM
He's already filled out his 5 optionals.

Some optionals are worth more than others.

oneandonlyhsn
08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Rafa is crazy he is going to burn out

Skyward
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Some optionals are worth more than others.

The best case scenario:

If he wins Basel, it'll give him only 15 points (50-35) in the race. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jtipson
08-24-2005, 03:39 PM
The best case scenario:

If he wins Basel, it'll give him only 15 points (50-35). Correct me if I'm wrong.

It would give him 190 entry points though (assuming he doesn't pick up any in optionals before then) :p

David Kenzie
08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Even though he already has 5 optional wins, there is still a reason to play more : if he doesn't defend his optionals from the beginning of the year he'll still won't loose any points. Obviously this won't affect the year-end ranking but could become handy sometime during 2006.

lucashg
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
That doesn't sound like a lot of tournaments to "burn out", won't he play the exact same numbers of tournaments Federer will? Beijing, Madrid, Basel, Paris and Shanghai (except Federer will play Bangkok instead of Beijing)? Plus he needs the practice on what seems to be his worst surface (haven't seen him playing on indoors/carpet, but I thought his worse was grass) to do well in those events and constantly challenge for #1.

ExpectedWinner
08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
That doesn't sound like a lot of tournaments to "burn out", won't he play the exact same numbers of tournaments Federer will? Beijing, Madrid, Basel, Paris and Shanghai (except Federer will play Bangkok instead of Beijing)? .

Federer played 19 tournaments (12 month period). Nadal-25. Someone like Davydenko and Puerta play 30+ tournaments.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/entrysystem/

jtipson
08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Federer played 19 tournaments (12 month period). Nadal-25. Someone like Davydenko and Puerta play 30+ tournaments.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/entrysystem/

Federer's actually only played 15 in the last 12 months (the ATP counts missed required tournaments as played, and he's missed 4 TMS events).

He used to play a lot more, and has really pared down now. If Nadal continues to be as consistent as he has been over the past few months, he will no doubt cut down too.

ExpectedWinner
08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Federer's actually only played 15 in the last 12 months (the ATP counts missed required tournaments as played, and he's missed 4 TMS events).

Thanks for the correction. I guess it applies to Nadal as well. He's missed Indian Wells and Hamburg.

adee-gee
08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
There's absolutely no way Rafa will ever suffer from burnout. He's not stupid, if he's done well in the previous tournaments he'll pull out. If he feels he can play, he'll play.