Table Tennis "Grand Slam" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Table Tennis "Grand Slam"

TennisGrandSlam
08-24-2005, 02:47 AM
http://photoimg9.qq.com/cgi-bin/load_pic?verify=%2FzBrlTDxew2%2BS3TS4TyOwQ%3D%3D

Table Tennis "Grand Slam" = Olympic Games + World Cup + World Championships for Table Tennis Tournament! (Not necessary in the same calender year)

Liu Guoliang, Kong Linghui, Jan-Ove Waldner

(In the world, only these 3 guys won this honour in Men Singles)

Jan-Ove Waldner (Sweden) :
1989 World Table Tennis Championships
1990 Table Tennis World Cup
1992 Bareclona Olympic Games
1997 World Table Tennis Championships

Kong Linghui (China) :
1995 World Table Tennis Championships
1995 Table Tennis World Cup
2000 Sydney Olympic Games

Liu Guoliang (China) :
1995 World Table Tennis Championships
1995 Table Tennis World Cup
1996 Atlanda Olympic Games

http://photoimg9.qq.com/cgi-bin/load_pic?verify=%2FzBrlTDxew2%2BS3TS4TyOwQ%3D%3D

Neely
08-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the definition of a Grand Slam is a bit more generous compared to the one in tennis :)

I actually like and have a lot of respect for table tennis, and I think it's a very underrated sport because lots of people don't realise what ambition, practise, talent and hard work is needed to get to the top. :yeah:

TennisGrandSlam
08-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the definition of a Grand Slam is a bit more generous compared to the one in tennis :)

I actually like and have a lot of respect for table tennis, and I think it's a very underrated sport because lots of people don't realise what ambition, practise, talent and hard work is needed to get to the top. :yeah:

Both Tennis Grand Slam and Table Tennis Grand Slam are respectable!

Neely
08-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Both Tennis Grand Slam and Table Tennis Grand Slam are respectable!
Sure, I don't doubt they are respectable. If you achieve one of them, no matter if tennis or talbe tennis player you are one of the best all time of your sports. But it's still harder to win all four tennis Grand Slams in the same season than winning World Cup, World Champs and Olympics in any year of your career.

bad gambler
08-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I love a good game of TT :) (playing that is, not watching :silly: )

Neely
08-28-2005, 04:59 AM
I love a good game of TT :) (playing that is, not watching :silly: )
Lots of people are thinking like you, watching TT is not interesting enough and many consider it as boring. Except in China where it's very huge (#1 sport) and where they show a lot of matches. In Europe, I'm already glad if they show the semifinals/finals of the most important tournaments.

SaFed2005
08-28-2005, 04:43 PM
I love playing table tennis too. I am pretty good at it too but my long tennis swings really dont help when i play someone who is fast.

JMG
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Timo Boll won the World Cup for the second time today, beating the no.1, no.3 and no.4 in the world with 4-3 sets. So the German player defeated the 3 top Chinese players in the QF, SF and Final. He was 2-3 (4-8) down in the final, before he had a 13-0 points run to get the comfortable lead. :yeah:

But the Olympics and World Championships titles are still missing.