"Hand of God" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Hand of God"

El Legenda
08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
cheater :tape:

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Diego Maradona acknowledged that he struck the ball with his hand in the famous "Hand of God" goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarterfinals.

Speaking on his local television talk show Monday night, Maradona called one of soccer's most controversial goals "something that just came out of me. It was a bit of mischief."

Maradona appeared to punch the ball into the net, and officials allowed the goal to stand despite protests by the English team. Argentina went on to win the 1986 quarterfinal match 2-1 and then win the World Cup.

In his most detailed comments yet, Maradona said he was unable to reach the ball for a header when he went up against the taller English goalkeeper, Peter Shilton.

Shilton "was very tall. He didn't see anything, and a teammate told him" afterward what happened, said Maradona.

After the score, Maradona said he quickly realized the line referee had allowed the goal but none of his teammates had rushed to celebrate with him -- themselves figuring the goal would be waved off.

"I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me and no one came," said Maradona, who was the team captain. "I told them, 'Come hug me or the referee isn't going to allow it."'

In his 20-year career before retiring in 1997, Maradona starred at Argentinos Juniors and Boca Juniors and in Europe. He also led Argentina to the 1990 World Cup final and won Italian and Argentine league titles.

In 1991, Maradona failed a drug test and was banned for 15 months. Nine years later, FIFA chose him and Pele as the best players in soccer history.

Recently, he was appointed vice president of Boca Juniors. And with his new TV show, Maradona, 45, has returned to the limelight after years of dealing with cocaine addiction and health problems.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=340282&cc=5901

Daniela_CABJ
08-24-2005, 02:31 AM
:worship: Diego Maradona :worship:

bad gambler
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
it's not like he had to admit it

Action Jackson
08-24-2005, 09:09 AM
It was a volleyball spike and bilbo's blind grandmother in a wheelchair saw it for what it was.

The second goal was a thing of art though.

Jim Jones
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Well, the referee should be more to blame than Maradona. chetaing is an acceptable tactic that is used by footballers. In any case when Germany defeated argentina in the finals in 1990, the penalty that Germany was awarded was highly disputed. I was for Germany too and I was a child when I saw that game but that's how I remember the game.

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
non-tennis :yawn:

Neely
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Maradona was a stupid ........ at his best and a non-capable person to properly manage his life aside from football, but he was a tremendously good and talented football player, especially when he did distinguish between his fist and his head to strike the ball.

He admitted what was already clear for almost everybody who had eyes in their heads.

Neely
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
In any case when Germany defeated argentina in the finals in 1990, the penalty that Germany was awarded was highly disputed. I was for Germany too and I was a child when I saw that game but that's how I remember the game.
Yes, it was no penalty. It was more like nothing special and not worthy at all to call a penalty for that and I personally think it was a concession decision because of a penalty-worthy situation earlier in the game where the ref missed to award a penalty in these deciding seconds as he had to decide whether to make a call or not.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
you're a bastard you're a bastard your a bastard referee........... (sing along)

El Legenda
08-24-2005, 03:33 PM
non-tennis :yawn:

yeah, thats why its in NON TENNIS section :yeah:

adee-gee
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Absolute genius :worship: If he'd done it against Scotland I might be thinking differently but how can you hate someone for knocking out the English :p

And as GWH said, his 2nd goal was the greatest thing I've ever seen and shouldn't be forgotten.

Aurora
08-24-2005, 08:22 PM
non-tennis :yawn:sex-threads also find their place in non-tennis, even those with Rainer these days I guess.

Jorge
08-25-2005, 06:08 PM
well finally he did accept it ;) He knows that everybody knew about "the hand of Diego".
He has "revelled" the truth because he has to do it say some day and because he wanted rating for his new show.

What did call my attention are three things:
1. he said that Shilton lies when he says that "he saw" Diego using the hand to score. Diego told that it was a defender (Fenwick?) the one who saw the hand and later he told it to Peter Shilton about it.
2. He said that her teammates didn't want to hug him and to celebrate the goal because they knew that the goal was scored with his hand. so he had to tell them to hug him and to celebrate the goal in order to make the referee stick to his decision.
3. He said that he doesn't regrets about it, that he would do it once again because at that time Argentina and England had a recent war, and for the argentines the english "robbed" the "falkland islands" (or Islas malvinas), so he used a very common saying "ladrón que roba a ladrón tiene cien años de perdón" which means: "Thief that stoles another thief has 100 years of forgiveness".

finally I am happy to see maradona in a good shape, without many kilos and apparently recovered from his addiction problems. I am not agree with "cheating" on any sport but let's face it: Maradona cheated on style!. Finally the ones to blame are the linesman and the referee. Anyway after that goal he scored one of the most beautiful goals ever made (if not the most); just for that goal (the second one) Argentina deserved to win, and also because they were the best team on the pitch that day.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 06:12 PM
That's the thing people remember the Hand of God, but that 2nd goal beating 6 players and having a defender tackle him from behind and score that goal was beautiful at the same time the Falkland comments doesn't surprise.

He has his show and is doing some work with Boca, it's good now, but how can he keep off cocaine in the entertainment world.

Jorge
08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
but how can he keep off cocaine in the entertainment world.
This is going to be his biggest challenge. Good luck to him.

joeb_uk
08-25-2005, 08:41 PM
That's the thing people remember the Hand of God, but that 2nd goal beating 6 players and having a defender tackle him from behind and score that goal was beautiful at the same time the Falkland comments doesn't surprise.

He has his show and is doing some work with Boca, it's good now, but how can he keep off cocaine in the entertainment world.
This was really an awful goal for england to concede! Maradonna should have been fucking nailed hard onto the canvas, many players had chance to chop him down (but they didnt). Its really pathetic how he could walk through half a team, sure its alot of skill from him (but it should never have been allowed).