NYC Hotels [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NYC Hotels

tennisman.
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know which hotel the players are staying during USO?

Nimomunz
08-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Groupie alert!! :P

Honestly no idea have you tried the website they usually have those things (BTW you probably already have)

Fee
08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Someone asked this question last year, and got no answer. Since its a slam, I believe the players can stay wherever they want to. Some stay at the hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center, some stay at hotels along the Subway line, and some stay in the Manhattan area. Let us know if you see any of them.

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Some of them rent apartments as well. Well, the really wealthy ones anyway.

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Groupie alert!! :P

Honestly no idea have you tried the website they usually have those things (BTW you probably already have)
:p you beat me, but i think this is gay groupie alert ;)

Socket
08-22-2005, 09:58 PM
As a security measure, they use several hotels as the "official" hotels. As Fee says, the players are free to go where they want to, though. In past years, the Parker Meridien was one of the most popular official hotels, and if you just sat in the lobby (at least until security threw you out), you could see loads of players come in and out. But I don't know if it's still on the list. These days, the players almost always stay on secured floors, or in secured areas, anyway.

tennisman.
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM

Yes that is exactly what this is :rolleyes:

No seriously if i decide to go there i would like to meet some players,to get signatures,pictures etc.
So if anyone know please help!

tennisman.
08-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Come on,surely someone who has been there before knows something?!
In AO most of the players stay at Hyatt hotel,could it be the same hotel in NYC?

basil333
08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
In 2001 - Intercontinental was a Player Hotel, Lexington Avenue. - also 3 other hotels in the same road had players coming and going - the local deli did really well that fortnight....

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 11:32 PM

:haha:

blosson
08-22-2005, 11:45 PM
During Wimbledon they stayed around the corner from me :p

Fee
08-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm staying at the W on Lexington (I think). If you catch me, I'll be happy to give you a photo and autograph.

{of course that's a joke :D }

keev26
08-23-2005, 12:40 AM
On my way to work today, I walked passed the Parker Meridian Hotel on 57th street between 5th and 6th, and there were 30+ players and coaches outside, waiting for some kind of transportation to the Tennis Center.

boliviana
08-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Someone asked this question last year, and got no answer. Since its a slam, I believe the players can stay wherever they want to. Some stay at the hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center, some stay at hotels along the Subway line, and some stay in the Manhattan area. Let us know if you see any of them.

I can't think of any hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center (I live here) . . . Flushing Meadows is in the middle of Queens between two major highways and in the middle of a low-income area of mostly immigrants. Even in Forest Hills, there aren't any hotels. Great restaurants and shopping but not a hotel.

The two major attractions near Flushing Meadows are LaGuardia Airport (loud!) and Shea Stadium (ugly as sin). Gotta figure the players with any kind of bucks get apts and the others pay exorbitant rates at the hotels mentioned earlier.

NYCtennisfan
08-23-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm staying at the W on Lexington (I think). If you catch me, I'll be happy to give you a photo and autograph.

{of course that's a joke }

LOL!

switz
08-23-2005, 03:10 AM
Come on,surely someone who has been there before knows something?!
In AO most of the players stay at Hyatt hotel,could it be the same hotel in NYC?

a lot stay there but not all. it's different as well because Melbourne Park is so close to the CBD that you can walk from the hotels the grounds in ten minutes unlike Flushing Meadows.

Fee
08-23-2005, 03:22 AM
I can't think of any hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center (I live here) . . . Flushing Meadows is in the middle of Queens between two major highways and in the middle of a low-income area of mostly immigrants. Even in Forest Hills, there aren't any hotels. Great restaurants and shopping but not a hotel.

This was posted in the tournament forum, in response to one of my posts. Is this information incorrect?

>>>>The Ramada Plaza Hotel at 37-10 114st Queens/Laguardia, NY 11368 is within walking distance to the Open. It's about a 15 minute walk to the National Tennis Center, i think that hotel is a safe choice. However, the rates do start at 170.

The Best Western (Eden Park Hotel) 113-10 Horace Harding Expressway in Flushing, is half a mile from the Tennis Center so its within walking distance. The rates start at 129. I think it also offers a continental breakfast. <<<<

boliviana
08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
You're right about the hotels . . . I forgot about them and I was thinking about tennis players with money who would prefer to stay in "the city" versus next to a really loud airport.

You can walk from those hotels I guess but you have to cross highways, etc. Flushing Meadows is on the other side of the Grand Central Parkway from the first hotel and from the second one, it wouldn't be necessarily the easiest walk . . . as with all things in NY anything is possible but you have to pick and choose what you want . . . there are walkways across the Grand Central but you have to get to them and that might mean going out of your way a lot (i.e., beware of their description of time and distance) . . . the 7 train stops right there and that is THE best bet for getting there. The hotels closest to the Center may have shuttles those two weeks . . .

WARNING: DO NOT BRING BAGS TO THE OPEN . . . THEY WILL TAKE THEM AWAY AND MAKE YOU PUT YOUR THINGS IN A CLEAR PLASTIC BAG . . . PUT MONEY AND CELL IN POCKET . . . CARRY CAMERA . . . NO KNAPSACKS ALLOWED. LAST YEAR IT WAS BAD AND I CAN'T IMAGINE IT WILL BE ANY BETTER THIS YEAR . . . AND BRING LOTS OF MONEY $$$$$$ . . . WATER IS LIKE $4 A BOTTLE . . .

star
08-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Obviously, you carry a water bottle to a tennis tournament and fill it up at the water fountains. Every tournament I've been to charges outrageous amounts for bottled water.

I wonder if you could take a clear plastic tote in.

tennisace
08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
This was posted in the tournament forum, in response to one of my posts. Is this information incorrect?

>>>>The Ramada Plaza Hotel at 37-10 114st Queens/Laguardia, NY 11368 is within walking distance to the Open. It's about a 15 minute walk to the National Tennis Center, i think that hotel is a safe choice. However, the rates do start at 170.

The Best Western (Eden Park Hotel) 113-10 Horace Harding Expressway in Flushing, is half a mile from the Tennis Center so its within walking distance. The rates start at 129. I think it also offers a continental breakfast. <<<<

I honestly can't believe any player would stay at either of these hotels. They're in Manhattan, or at rented homes on LI. And no one walks any further then the train/subway station or a parking lot to the USO.

leahwurth
08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
in 2003, i went to the us open and stayed at the waldorf-astoria. james blake was the only player i saw there, but i imagine more were there. also, i heard that agassi stayed at the W on lexington avenue.

mitalidas
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Obviously, you carry a water bottle to a tennis tournament and fill it up at the water fountains. Every tournament I've been to charges outrageous amounts for bottled water.

I wonder if you could take a clear plastic tote in.

They give away Plastic (transparent) totes at the entrance for free

Last year, I packed our sandwich lunches and snapples, and was asked to drink my 3 bottles of snapple at the gate because they were in glass bottles and potentially a WEAPON. Freaks. Of course I couldn't drinkk them all, but I emptied one into a water bottle , drank half of another, and donated one to the damn security

I was really pissed off. And then I see a hotdog for $6.

Socket
08-23-2005, 04:35 PM
They give away Plastic (transparent) totes at the entrance for free

Last year, I packed our sandwich lunches and snapples, and was asked to drink my 3 bottles of snapple at the gate because they were in glass bottles and potentially a WEAPON. Freaks. Of course I couldn't drinkk them all, but I emptied one into a water bottle , drank half of another, and donated one to the damn security

I was really pissed off. And then I see a hotdog for $6.
Glass bottles have beeen banned at many sports events for years now, because drunks can (and do) throw them where they can do damage. Can you imagine if a player were hit by a glass bottle thrown from the top seats in Armstrong Stadium?

Socket
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
If you want to find nice, convenient hotels, look on the web sites for the companies that offer grand slam packages, like Grand Slam Tennis:

http://www.grandslamtennistours.com/grandslamtours/US.html

I've stayed in past years at the Sheraton LaGuardia East, which is only a few blocks from the subway.