You and ...tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

You and ...tennis

marifline
08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Just a few question about your tennis relationship...I'm so curious :p

1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ?
2/ Who was the first player you like ?
3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?
4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Wich ? Wich match did you prefer ?
5/ Your favorite match ?
6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ?
7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)

Thanx if you take the time to answer... :worship:

Papakori
08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
1. It was in a maths lesson a few years ago, Wimbledon 2001. We were randomnly given mens and womens seeds and had to put the info into excel for something. I got Sebastien Grosjean and Martina Hingis and I became stuck to Wimbledon and when it ended, I decided to follow the tennisworld.
2. Gambill, I saw a highlight of when he lost to Woodruff and mentioned that he helped a ball girl who had fainted so I immediately thought he was a very nice player and cool too!
3. I watch a lot of tennis and am satisfied :)
4. I have been to Queens (And two ladies tournaments) with a friend earlier this year after he won a competition. I watched Draper vs Hanescu, Rusedski vs Goodall and Berdych/Stepanek vs Knowles and someone else. There were other matches on that day like Murray vs Ventura and Arthurs vs Beck but my friend would not let me watch it because he wanted me to stay with him to watch Roddick and Hewitt practise so he can get their autographs and I nearly fell asleep just standing there. My favourite was the doubles with Radek and Tomas although I had to be dragged off towards the end because we had a train to catch
5. The best match I have seen is, well I don't know! haha
6. No not really because I talk tennis on here which is good enough
7. Nope, never

marifline
08-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanx for your answers Gambillfan..

Regenbogen
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
1. i think it was when i was really little, just b/c my mom was watching it
2. sampras
3. there could never be enough tennis to watch.
4. i've been to ams cincinnati a few times, dunno which match was my favorite though
5. um...there isn't really one in particular....and i tend to remember random points instead of matches '_'
6. my friends and family think i'm insane to like tennis that much, so yes, it's frustrating to talk with them about it lol
7. omygosh...more times than i can count...LOL...and mostly for these really weird reasons...which are too ridiculous to post :o

marifline
08-22-2005, 08:36 PM
6. my friends and family think i'm insane to like tennis that much, so yes, it's frustrating to talk with them about it lol

same thing for me... :o

Alvarillo
08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
... the oldest match i remember watching live on tv was the Fed Cup Final in 1998, Spain def Switzerland in the 5th match Arantxa/Conchita def Hingis/Schynder, then i remember watching some RG matches but as any other sport, but the time i realised i loved tennis was in 2000 when Spain won the Davis Cup, i began to buy magazines, to look for web-sites ...

JC Ferrero !!! it's my tennis idol !

3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?
Since i got tv-stellite and i can see more tennis in different channels yesss

Fed Cup Finals 2001, Madrid Masters-Series 2002/03/04, El Espinar Challenger 2002/03/04, WTA Madrid 2002/03, Spain-The Netherlands 2004 Davis Cup Tie (in Mallorca), ATP Barcelona 05, ATP Valencia 05 (as a lineman), my fav match live .... Chela-Massu Madrid03, a tough battle!

5/ Your favorite match ?
Ferrero def Agassi Us Open SF03, Ferrero def Verkerk RGF03, Safin def Federer AUSSF05, Nadal def Coria RomeF05 ... and a lot more!

a little bit !!!

7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)
no....

savesthedizzle
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Growing up as a kid in the US, as soon as you get out of school for the summer, the only thing on was "Breakfast at Wimbledon". It became a summer tradition for me to turn on the TV and watch Sampras :)

Naturally... Sampras because of the reason I got into tennis in the first place. Then because of the way our TV coverage here is, it was Henman. I didn't REALLY get into tennis though until 2002 when I saw Roddick for the first time, lol, yes I used to be a Roddick fan. I followed him for a while and slowly started getting more and more interested. In 2003 I started liking JCF and started adding on players since then :)

I have enough now that I've started taping EVERYTHING that is televised. lol. Thank goodness I have my tapes to go back to. I wish I had a few matches of my favorites that I didn't tape like the 2003 French Open final, but I'll get those someday.

Yup. I went to Legg-Mason 2003 and Montreal this year. When I went to Legg-Mason we got the ticket package that gave us tickets to the quarterfinals, semis and finals. For Montreal I was there for just the first two days. I liked Montreal better, mainly because I knew what I was doing more, and since my knowledge and appreciation for the sport has grown a lot since 2003, I was watching more players than I did at Legg-Mason. I barely stepped foot inside the stadium court at Montreal. I was running around from outside court to outside court watching the practices and matches. I might have liked Legg-Mason more if I went during the early rounds and could have had the same experience. That's what I like. I'd rather be able to see all my favorites early on rather than the big matches at the end.

5/ Your favorite match ?

Ever? Oh man. I don't even know. I liked the Nadal/Coria matches this spring. It's funny how much more I prefer watching matches on clay since I got into tennis with Sampras and Roddick :lol:

I have trained my family to either smile and nod or just ignore me. My dad is a sports fanatic, but not tennis. He's a football (American), basketball or baseball guy and tennis was the one sport he knew nothing about. Once I started spouting out facts and information it made him mad that I knew more about a sport than he did, so he's started watch. (We have a bet on who will win the USO, lol) He's a big Federer fan but I am trying to push the Spaniards on him. We'll see.

I get annoyed with certain players *cough* Tommy Robredo and JCF *cough* often but not ever seriously mad. I just wish my boys would play up to their potential more often. lol.

Damita
08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
1/ I was 14 i think, and during RG everyday my friends at school were talking about the matches they had seen the day before. I was already watching RG and Davis Cup sometimes, but not much. But then it started pissing me off that i couldn't chat with them because i didn't know what they were talking about :lol: so i started watching it a lot

2/ hmmm, i think it was Hicham Arazi

3/ Noooooo :mad: not satisfied at all! here not only do we have not a lot of tennis on tv, but when we have some those bastards stop broadcasting before the matches end :smash:

4/ Bercy 2002, 2003, 2004, and RG 2004 (only the charity day) and 2005. I think the match i prefered was the Hewitt-Srichaphan semifinal in Bercy in 2002 because of the atmosphere, but it is also the one i dislike the most (still because of the atmosphere :rolleyes: :o).

5/ I don't know if i have any.... There are a few i liked, Safin-Federer AO 2005 for sure (and a lot of Safin's match ;)), the final between Kuerten and Norman in RG, the 5th match between Escudé and Hewitt in the DC final in 2000 (or 2001? :scratch: )

6/ Not really. Some of my friends follow tennis too so it's ok. The rest, i think i bore them :p but they come to me when they're looking for the name of a tennis player to do their crosswords :lol: and my parents don't care about tennis, but they've noticed i cheer for Russia vs France in DC and they don't understand why :p

7/ A gazillion time. And it's quite pathetic to react so much about sports, and about people you don't even know in real life :o ;)

1sun
08-22-2005, 09:08 PM
1)ive always liked ball games since i was like 5 years old and in primary school i use play against a wall with my mates. they use to get lesson and i joined them and have played ever since. sicne i played i naturaly liked watching tennis but i was too young, 10 or so to be a avid fan(i was more interested in playing). few years later i became one and have a been a huge fan since.
2) federer, first saw him play at wimbledon 2001 and became an instance fan(not avid one though coz i was like 12 or so). few years later i really became a huge fan and followed him on the tour ever since.( before i would just follow him at wimbledon)
3)No! :sad: i only get to watch wimbledon, queens and a few british DC matchs. but due to recent streams, and downloads ive bin watching more.
4)yes. wimbledon, 3 or 4 years ago, court 1, i only got to see a few doubles matchs, martina nat and sum other people.( it rained that day).
5) fed/sapras wimbledon 2001, wimbledon 2005 final fed/roddick, us 2004 final fed/hewit.
6)Yes! none of them no shit about tennis. when wimbledon is on, they're like 'oooo hes federer isnt he, hes good isnt he?' or 'whos the yank? rod something?'. and when they hit aces they're like 'oooooooooooooo.amazing.wow' and then they're like 'why did he hit it out? hes not very good' :o shamefull family :o
7)yes. i use to throw my racket and shit and still do sometimes.
some of rogers losses have pissed me off. either i sit there stunned in silence, shocked or i go really mad sometimes, shout, scream, swear, slam my door punch my wardrobe. i get really pissed sometimes :rolleyes:

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
3/ Noooooo :mad: not satisfied at all! here not only do we have not a lot of tennis on tv, but when we have some those bastards stop broadcasting before the matches end :smash:
Er FUCK FRANCETELEVISON ! Die Motherfucker Die ! :lol:
Are you going to Bercy this year ? I will be there

Lucky are the guys whom friensds understand tennis... :rolleyes:

7/ A gazillion time. And it's quite pathetic to react so much about sports, and about people you don't even know in real life :o ;)

You're right...pathetic I can become dangerous when my sisters want to change the channel while I'm watching a thrilling match

1sun
08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
there could never be enough tennis to watch.

so true

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
6)Yes! none of them no shit about tennis. when wimbledon is on, they're like 'oooo hes federer isnt he, hes good isnt he?' or 'whos the yank? rod something?'. and when they hit aces they're like 'oooooooooooooo.amazing.wow' and then they're like 'why did he hit it out? hes not very good' :o shamefull family :o

it must be very difficult to you but it's so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

1sun
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
it must be very difficult to you but it's so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
its funny at times just because they're so un educated about tennis but somes im like shut up.

piccola_romana
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
i completely fall in love wth tennis this year, in australian open, safin-federer... suspance and thriller!!!!...ehm i betted this match...and i won!

marat....

my relationship??? my virtual relationship between tennis and me or between my boyfriend and me?? i have not enough tennis to watch, but i have to study, so it is a good thing to have no tennis to see...

4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Which ? Which match did you prefer ?
i worked in telecom masters series in roma, this year! i watch for free all the matches!!! ;) but i prefer to see match played on fast court...

5/ Your favorite match ?
safin-federer, australian open 2005

yes because no one understands me!!!! :sad: only working at the tournament made me meet a lot of friends crazy for tennis like me...and here!

this year for wimbledon, sky-satellite showed live matches from 8 courts...it was like a drug! i didn't go away from my home, i had to see tennis from the first match to last one. when i went to sleep i dreamed tennis all night... a nightmare!!!

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
its funny at times just because they're so un educated about tennis but somes im like shut up.

the way you said it... my mum just comes, watchs the screen and asks : Who is this handsome man ? :lol:

karenrac
08-22-2005, 09:20 PM
I was sick at home for about 2 weeks (a flew gone bad) and there was nothing else to watch on TV, so I watched tennis. I've been a fan since. :D

Andre Agassi

We have tennis on TV here now more often than before, we have Eurosport, espn (a strange version of espn) and Fox Sports (that show very little tannis). The only problem is- I'm usually home after the matches end.

I'm been to many Davis Cup matches, but the only real tennis tournament I've been to is Rolland Garros. :worship: Me and my friend flew from Israel to France just for the tennis, and we went there for 4 days. :D

5/ Your favorite match ?
Probably every final of Agassi at the OZ Open.

Yep. My parents make stupid comments about it. My friends are ok, I went with some of them to see Israel's matches at the Davis Cup, and with one of them to Rolland Garros.

I dunno

Damita
08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Er FUCK FRANCETELEVISON ! Die Motherfucker Die ! :lol:
Are you going to Bercy this year ? I will be therelol, have you read the article this month in Tennis Mag? about the 4 GS tournaments? they were comparing the 4 of them, and about tv coverage they say we really have the poorest coverage here :sad: no need to tell us that, we knew already!
And no i won't go to Bercy this year :sad: i'll probably have exams during the whole month of November so i can't go. Too bad. And it's weird not going there as it's been now 3 years in a row i did. And this year i wanted to go to the final, cuz i've been there twice for the semis (2002 and 2004.... and oh that was frustrating to leave the place at night knowing Marat would play the day after and i'd have to watch him on tv :p ;))

You're right...pathetic I can become dangerous when my sisters want to change the channel while I'm watching a thrilling matchme too! ;)

PinkFeatherBoa
08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
1/ My first tennis match I remember is the Wimbledon final 92, when I was 6 and a half. I just fell in love with the sport- also I already played tennis as a hobby so it was natural for me to watch.
2/ Goran and Andre because they made up my first 'memorable tennis experience.
3/ I'm never satisfied. Too hard to please.
4/ Yes, several, including Wimbledon (multiple times since 97), Queens (several times since 2000), Davis Cup matches involving Britain, Old English Tournaments, Roland Garros (two years), Paris Bercy (four times), Madrid masters (once, soon twice), I'm sure there's more. Too many matches to choose from, but one that stands out is the Goran/Henman semi-final at Wimbly 2001 (I was at all 3 days, though I couldn't go to the final on the Monday, unfortunately). :worship: Also Wimbledon final 2004 was very special, though Andy lost.
5/ Goran/Rafter Wimbly final 2001 (classic) Henman d Pavel TMS Bercy 2003 (sentimental reasons). Roddick d Henman TMS masters cup 2004 (my two faves playing high-quality tennis). Roddick d Ferrero USO 2003 (self-explanatory). That's just a few from the top of my head, hence why they are all fairly recent.
6/ Yes, they don't understand my obsession with tennis, although my parents both like the sport.
7/ Yes, when I play and my game doesn't work/the circumstances that caused me to quit playing, eventually. Also watching annoys me sometimes, when my faves lose or just plain suck (not to mention the eternal heart failures I get as a faithful Henman fan).

1sun
08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
the way you said it... my mum just come, watch the screen and ask : Who is this handsome man ? :lol:
lol. my mum does the exact same thing! one time she said (about safin), ' he looks like a caveman, not a tennis player but could be a pretty boy if he got rid of the hair.' :o

Damita
08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
the way you said it... my mum just comes, watchs the screen and asks : Who is this handsome man ? :lol:
:rolls:

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:27 PM
lol, have you read the article this month in Tennis Mag? about the 4 GS tournaments? they were comparing the 4 of them, and about tv coverage they say we really have the poorest coverage here :sad: no need to tell us that, we knew already!
And no i won't go to Bercy this year :sad: i'll probably have exams during the whole month of November so i can't go. Too bad. And it's weird not going there as it's been now 3 years in a row i did. And this year i wanted to go to the final, cuz i've been there twice for the semis (2002 and 2004.... and oh that was frustrating to leave the place at night knowing Marat would play the day after and i'd have to watch him on tv :p ;))

me too! ;)

Yes I read the article in TM...and what I noticed too was that they said french players had always priority :mad: wich is certainly patriotic ( yeah I'm chauvine too ) but sometimes " desesperating" ( et tant pis si ce mot n'existe pas :lol: )

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
lol. my mum does the exact same thing! one time she said (about safin), ' he looks like a caveman, not a tennis player but could be a pretty boy if he got rid of the hair.' :o
LOL

Turkeyballs Paco
08-22-2005, 09:30 PM
It's a nice little distraction, and the ATP has plenty of eye candy! :inlove:

Damita
08-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Yes I read the article in TM...and what I noticed too was that they said french players had always priority :mad: wich is certainly patriotic ( yeah I'm chauvine too ) but sometimes " desesperating" ( et tant pis si ce mot n'existe pas :lol: )
i know. hence why i never managed to get tickets. this year i went there because my friend has a friend who plays tennis in a club, and that girl bought tickets for us :) and i also ended to go there the first two days thanks to a MTF poster who had extra tickets for me :D

When you don't play tennis it's too difficult. it sucks :(

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Time to answer my questions

My first tennis match was RG 2004 semi Coria/Henman..I watched because well, because of Guille he's so cute :p I did not understand anything..and then of course I watch the final :sad: awful time alone with my TV . Then I start following Guille's tournament and discovered others players etc...
Guille
No ! Fucking Frenc TV ! I lost Eurosport and Sport + but I'm getting it back...
I went to Bercy 2004 and RG 2005 I loved both first matchs of Monfils in Bercy because of the atmosphere just crazy ( especially against Hewitt :D ) in RG ( just the little courts) I loved the Santoro/Hantuchova MD match ( atmosphere atmosphere) and Baghdatis and Wawrinka mathcs I saw they are both nice french talking players ( Oh ! you must thing I'm an old chauvine now ... :lol: )
5/ Your favorite match ?
Gasquet/Federer...thrilling match I was dying in the t-b of the last set really dying..I couldn't help close my eyes on match points ( very clever ! miss the match point !) actually I did not miss the match point ! :D Well, I could have answer Safin/Federer SF in AO but I didn't watch the match ! I was in sport lesson so... :sad:
Of course...I'm trying to make my bestfriend become as crazy as I am and hippo is a good argument :p
When my syster tried to change the channel during important match...have some scars to prove it was a hard battle

siobhan
08-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I started watching tennis when I was a kid, because we always watched a lot of sports in my family. I stopped to care when I was 14/15 (puberty, I guess ... :rolleyes: ), and I've only started to really get reacquainted this year.

I used to be a fan of Stefan Edberg, and the player who got my attention back to tennis was Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Definitely not. There's almost no tennis on German TV ever, and watching it via the internet is just not the same thing.

Unfortunately not. Hope to change that next year, though.

5/ Your favorite match ?
I can't really say, my memory sucks big time. :o

Yup, none of my friends care about tennis, but my mum at least knows some players (she's a Federer fan, I guess mainly because she likes all things (and people) Swiss :lol: ) and during the slams we sometimes watch matches together, because I love having someone to discuss the points with.

I only get mad when commentators talk bullshit or when I can't watch a match I really want to see. (For example, I couldn't watch the end of Safin-Robredo at the French Open this year and was really nervous until I got back and saw the result.)

marifline
08-22-2005, 09:47 PM
i know. hence why i never managed to get tickets. this year i went there because my friend has a friend who plays tennis in a club, and that girl bought tickets for us :) and i also ended to go there the first two days thanks to a MTF poster who had extra tickets for me :D

When you don't play tennis it's too difficult. it sucks :(

Er in fact I was talking about TV coverage lol..but I agree with you..I 'll kidnap a licencied ( ?) and buy RG tickets next time ( week end on PC or SL court because I want the ATMOSPHERE whan a french player play !)

Damita
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Er in fact I was talking about TV coverage lol..but I agree with you..I 'll kidnap a licencied ( ?) and buy RG tickets next time ( week end on PC or SL court lol sorry, i thought you were talking about the tickets as they mentioned it too...
because I want the ATMOSPHERE whan a french player play !)well, i'm not sure i like it when they play. this year i was there for the end of the match Nadal-Grosjean. It was okay. But if i had been there for the beginning of it, the day before, i would have hated this atmosphere :o :rolleyes:

marifline
08-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Je pense être assez chauvine pour tenir le coup LOL

jenanun
08-22-2005, 10:09 PM

When Stefan Edberg won wimbledon the 2nd time! so it's been 15 years! :eek: on and off after he retired..
picked up again last year....

Stefan Edberg

actually i think i should cut it down....

nah....but planning to watch wimbledon next year.... (queue for the 1st round....) well, i said that every year...

5/ Your favorite match ?

Ivanisevic bt rafter in wimbledon
Agassi won in RG...

when i was small, i always argue with my friends who is better, edberg or becker, feels really frustrated when they prefer edberg as they thought edberg was boring :mad:
but no... i dont talk about tennis alot with friends or family...

only when i lost money.... :rolleyes:

smartminddesi
08-22-2005, 10:13 PM
hmm.. bcos my brother was watching it and he wouldn't give me the remote.
that's got to be agassi. my bro's a big fan of sampras. i can't pick the same guy u see, sibling rivalry at that age. so i picked andre.
hmm.. okay i think. atleast the quantity. the quality could've been better with espn broadcasting american player's matches all the time.
yes. my first. yesterday. it was okay. it looked a little too real. i prefer watching it on tv.
5/ Your favorite match ?
roger vs marat SF AO 2005, for now
yeah i do. mostly they r not interested. even if they r they know nothing bout players outside top 5 or torneys other than gs. so i lose my interest right away.
can't think of any. may be its gonna happen in future.

boliviana
08-22-2005, 10:21 PM
1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ? - Always liked the game - even when I was really little. Started watching it when Connors and Evert were the darlings of Wimbledon. (yes i am that old). I was home sick and couldn't stand up for a week . . . it was heaven.

2/ Who was the first player you like ? Jimmy Connors

3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ? Yes I am satisfied with my hubby . . . but there is never enough tennis to watch!!! Wish i could see the smaller european tournaments . . . there should be better coverage. If I can watch guam vs russia in little league . . . :confused:

US Open . . . going again. Like the first rounds because you can see everyone . . . lots of activity and buzz . . .

5/ Your favorite match ? Live: Capriati vs Williams last yr - 1/4s of USO . . . it was hot . . . on TV - Coria vs Nadal - Rome Final this year

6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ? Not really - they are frustrated with me because I either talk about tennis or politics ( I hate Bush) . . . both subjects of great passion for me. Used to get very angry with people who thought McEnroe was better than Connors . . . inconceivable . . .

7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....) . . . Not mad but sick. took a day or more to get over 2004 RG final. Sickest feeling in my tummy . . . really bad. It was also the longest day of my life. (Until Bush won a second time and then I was really sick (sorry I digress . . . :devil:))

six days and counting til USO . . . :wavey:

Damita
08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Je pense être assez chauvine pour tenir le coup LOL
Je ne le suis pas du tout, donc je sais que ça me taperait sur les nerfs! ;) d'ailleurs quand j'ai vu la fin de Nadal-Grosjean, ce n'était pas le public de la veille et donc ça allait mieux, mais Rafa s'est quand même fait sifflé sans raison (et par la tribune présidentielle en plus! :retard: ) et j'ai détesté ça.

Damita
08-22-2005, 10:27 PM
hmm.. bcos my brother was watching it and he wouldn't give me the remote.
lol, good reason :yeah:

marifline
08-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Je ne le suis pas du tout, donc je sais que ça me taperait sur les nerfs! ;) d'ailleurs quand j'ai vu la fin de Nadal-Grosjean, ce n'était pas le public de la veille et donc ça allait mieux, mais Rafa s'est quand même fait sifflé sans raison (et par la tribune présidentielle en plus! :retard: ) et j'ai détesté ça.
c quand même un peu la faute de seb ça..lui il connaissait le réglement... :rolleyes:

pryss
08-22-2005, 10:34 PM
1/ Friday afternoon, it was, incidentally, Wimbledon 2004 QF weekend and there were hot men on TV. (i'm a newbie in disguise. shh)
2/ Mario Ancic is the very first player whose match I watched. (that being Wimbledon QF...and him being the hot dude)
3/ Meh. It's okay. I wish Toronto held men's tourney every year though.
4/ Just one, Montreal this year.
5/ Gasquet/Ferrer vs Grosjean/Niemeyer. Kiefer vs Massu close second :p
6/ Yesss they hate me for it ):
7/ I'm really not one to get mad at tennis...but recently i got horribly angry when Mario got schooled by Hewitt.

HappyAndie
08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, I watched it when I was like eight, I think. Whenever it was, it was when Kournikova was just starting to get a lot of publicity. But, I didn't watch it much at all, and I never paid attention.
I started watching it again during the Masters Cup last year because as a result of being kicked off of speech team at school(long story), I had a lot of time on my hands. I was hooked, and have been watching it since religiously.

Andre Agassi. Why? As a little eight year old, that was the only male player I knew. LOL. And he was my Grandmother's favorite, so of course I would like him too. :)

I wish there was more tennis on TV, but I wouldn't have time to watch it if it was. So, I think I would prefer just better quality! (Though watching the crappy ESPN commentary and pickin out ambiguously gay comments does amuse me)

No. Aren't I just uncool?

5/ Your favorite match ?
Federer and Nadal in the Miami final this year.

Always. Because to them, tennis is the nerdiest thing on the face of the planet. I only have one friend who appreciates tennis in any way whatsoever, but that is only when Nadal or Andy Roddick are on the screen. My family is probably the worst about making fun of me, but that is probably because I don't tell my friends, it is too embarassing.

So many times that the details would take up a whole page.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 11:43 PM
1.I started watching when I saw agassi playing in the USO ’94. I thought, hey, tennis players aren’t boring at all. After that, I started following tennis on tv

2.agassi was my first favorite. I liked his style of clothes. I was a nike freak back then and kept buying his signature apparel. Then I learned tennis adapting his style of play.

3.yes. Although some GS coverage suck.

4.never been in a live one. I live in the Philippines and whenever I went to the US, there were no tourneys scheduled every time I got there (went to NY on April)

5. goran and rafter in 2001 wimby and all agassi-sampras matches in '95.

6. no one in my family understands tennis. it's all nba. sucks.

7. i was losing badly once i threw my racket down hard, it bounced up and hit my face. i got a black eye, and never went back to the same club again.

Jennay
08-22-2005, 11:58 PM
1) A] My mom was a college player, so she always had it on T.V.
B] I tagged along to my older sister's tennis lessons, and since she didn't like them, I took them instead. ;)

2) Pete Sampras was the first player I watched. JC Ferrero was the first I liked.

3) Not enough clay season. :p

4) TMS Miami.

5) Too many.

6) Yes, because they don't love it as much as I do.

7) I've gotten angry playing my own matches.. but not because of the professionals that I follow. :)

Kristen
08-23-2005, 03:53 AM
1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ?Back in...1999(ish), I was clearing some space in my drawers, which happened to have a television on top. There was nothing else on tv, and I was being entertained by some swedish guy doing impersonations ;)

2/ Who was the first player you like ?Jonas Björkman. For his personality and impersonations.

3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?Never enough tennis on tv. We get Australian tournaments, USO and Wimbledon. I won't pay money for PayTV subscriptions which will only show the top ten players.

4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Which ? Which match did you prefer ?Davis Cup
-vs Sweden, 2001 (Sydney) ToJo df Rafter
-vs Sweden, 2004 (Adelaide) Jonas df Philippoussis, sealing the tie
-vs Austria, 2005 (Sydney) Knowle/Melzer lt Woodbridge/Arthurs
-vs Argentina, 2005 (Sydney) Nalbandian df Hewitt
Adelaide - 2005 Enqvist
Sydney - 2002/2003/2004/2005
Australian Open - 2003/2004/2005
Various wheelchair tennis tournaments

5/ Your favorite match ? Jarkko Nieminen df Kafelnikov, 2003 Aus Open.

6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family?My friends aren't particularly interested. The people I talk 'tennis' with, are people I've met from the internet / tournaments. However, my parents are well aware of Jonas Bjorkmans achievements, and a couple of close friends know the names of my top 4 players :yeah:

7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)I do get emotional. I often cry at Davis Cup, e.g. the first time I saw Jonas in 2001. Things which have made me a little angry over the years... Stupid Australians (non-tennis fans) who will barrack for someone because they're Aussie, Gaston Gaudio bitching about a line call against Rainer Schuettler a few years back. Nice tantrum, made the tournament ref come out. :retard: My first introduction to player outbursts (aside from Hewitt, in 2001). Tennis "fans" have a tendency to p!$$ me off due to their ignorance and stupid comments involving linespersons or umpires, mocking the opponents' style/name/appearance.

angelical
08-23-2005, 09:09 AM
It was the summer holidays in 2002 (yes, I'm a fairly new tennis fan). I was bored, the only remotely good thing on TV was the Heineken Open (back in the day where they used to show the whole tournament as opposed to just 3 days now). It was Goran against Jarkko Nieminen, I thought 'hey, these guys aren't bad looking' :p and Goran was being his usual animated self on court, I cracked me up so I continued watching. I didn't understand too much about the rules and that before then. It's amazing how much I picked up in one arvo, lol.
Goran and Marat (who played on that same day as Goran and he was totally funny too)
No no no way! I suffer from severe lack of tennis coverage! There is nowhere near enough tennis on NZ TV. The only free to air tennis is the last 3 days of the Heineken Open and we're lucky we get full Wimbledon courtesy of Prime Oz. It's a bit better on Sky but unfortunately we don't have that :(
Only one and once. The Heineken Open in Auckland in January this year. I went for the whole week and I saw most of the matches (well, I saw all the ones that were played on centre court).
5/ Your favorite match ?
Hmm... maybe Goran vs. Pat in the 2001 Wimbledon final (even though I saw it like 3 years too late. I was lucky they showed it during a rain delay at Wimbledon last year) or maybe Goran's final match at Wimbledon last year against Lleyton
6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ?[b]
Not really... not a lot of my family and friends know that much about tennis so it's not really a common talking point.
[b]7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)
I get mad at the lack of coverage we get but I've not (yet) gone totally mad over a tennis match or anything... lol

Harriet
08-23-2005, 09:14 AM
A guy I was sleeping with took me to his club as he had a match, I got bored on my own so started playing there... tennis that is ;)
I wanted to play so I could show off my body without being considered a slut :lol: Although that's not such a bad thing, right?!
Wesley Moodie :drool:
We don't get as much coverage over here as we should, but often friends send me DVDs which is great :) Thanks guys!
Yeah I have been to many, as I love to travel... My favourite has to be Stella Artois Championships held at the Queen's Club in London. I love England, and everything about that event is so sexy :lol:
5/ Your favorite match ?
How could I choose?!
I just don't bother, it is easier to keep it seperate :D
Only TV scheduling, I don't play seriously so nothing like that... I only play to meet sexy guys and girls, and act like a whore :devil: God my legs are great!

Ferrero Forever
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ? I used to stay home on the hot summers day and watch the Australian Open with the air conditioning on with my mum when i was 5, and i do it every year now
2/ Who was the first player you like ? Lindsay Davenport
3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ? HELL NO
4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Wich ? Wich match did you prefer ? Australian Open 2005, the best match I saw live was Ferrero/Van Gemerden
5/ Your favorite match ? Ferrero/Van Gemerden coz I was there
6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ? Sometimes because they don't care
WHEN FERRERO/FEDERER AT WIMBLEDON 2005 DIDN"T RECORD ON EITHER OF MY 2 VIDEO TAPES! I CRIED. Wimbledon has made me cry 2 years in a row:(

HybridTheory
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Since I was very young, but I started following it since 2001 .
When I was very little I liked Jonas Bjorkman, but the first player I really supported was Alex Corretja .
LOL Sure, if I want I can watch :p
No, never ..
5/ Your favorite match ?
Probably Alex Corretja def. Arnoud Clement in RG 2002, and Rafael Nadal def. Roger Federer RG 2005 :) AND of course when Gaudio won RG last year! :D
No .
Yeah hehe during that match Corretja-Clement, I were sooo nervous :lol:

Viveletennis
08-23-2005, 10:22 AM

It was during a trip in England. I was in an English family with my sister, and the family was watching Wimbledon. They kept screaming 'Henman, Henman" in front of the TV(I thought it was very funny, now I do the same when I watch tennis). So I watched Wimbledon with them, and I kinda liked it. Then I watched Roland Garros the next year, and so it started....

I think it was Paul-Henri Mathieu, but I also liked Juan Carlos Ferrero and Guillermo Coria. Now I could add amongst my favorite players Marat Safin and Richard Gasquet.

No. I wish I could see more doubles. French TV really sucks. I really hate when they don't show the end of matchs !!!!! They would never do that if it was soccer !!! However I think I'm very lucky to have Sport + and Eurosport (although this channel now only shows WTA tournaments, and I don't like women tennis)

I've never been to a tournament yet, but I think I'll go to Roland Garros next year (maintenant que j'ai mon bac !!!!)

Your favorite match ?

Don't know. I like when my favorites play.

Yes ! I try to explain my sisters a little bit of tennis, but they don't remember anything. For example I told them Federer is the number one player in the world, and the next day when Roddick lost to him they said "Roddick ?! Isn't he the number one player ???" It's so frustrating. I think I'd better not to tell them anything about tennis (they don't care at all), but I can't help talking about it !

7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason,
the way it happened...consequences....)

I often got mad about french TV, but especially the day when they stopped showing the davis cup quaterfinals double match in the middle of the match ! I could have broken my TV !!!

jtipson
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Wimbledon final 1976 between Borg and Nastase. Can't remember what happened, only that Borg won and all the grass was really dry as it was the *year of the drought* (showing my age here).

Borg, of course :) and then when he retired, Mats Wilander.

The relationship is too demanding, but apart from the 3 non-American GS I don't get to see much tennis on the TV. Fortunately I have a nice friend who records most matches for me.

Yes, quite a few; I am currently trying to do the spectator Grand Slam ;) Favourite match that I've attended in recent times has been Henman beating Roddick in the semi-final at Bercy in 2003.

5/ Your favorite match ?
What, ever? Er, lots from the past, but the Federer v Roddick Wimbly semi was particularly memorable as that really made me a tennis fan again.

No, I've learnt to shut up now. Took 20 years though.

Oh yes, used to get really upset and throw things when I was a teenager. Now I just get a bit sad for a few hours, and depressed before big matches. I try to avoid watching matches if they are going to be stressful, although at the venue it can be a bit difficult - at one point during this year's Wimbledon final I could be found pacing up and down with my fingers in my ears next to the practice courts at Aorangi Park! Fortunately that didn't last too long.

marifline
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I often got mad about french TV, but especially the day when they stopped showing the davis cup quaterfinals double match in the middle of the match ! I could have broken my TV !!!
Ne m'en parle pas :rolleyes: :mad: :banghead:

nermo
08-23-2005, 12:00 PM
1)How/Why do you start watching tennis ?
that was a looong time ago,when i was about 6 or 7 years old..i used to watch an interesting T.V.serial (don't remember it now by the way..)and there came some days( which were for RG and Wimbledon) when this show was always postponed.. :mad: ,i used to get very annoyed with that sport that took much time for a player to win. :mad: .and delay my fav. serial.., so ,i used to sit infront of the T.V. waiting for it to end,then i got the game basics..and then time goes by ..and here i am addicted to tennis ;) ..
2) Who was the first player you like ?
Stefan Edberg..
3)Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?
there's never enough tennis to watch, ppl.here are mostly interested in Football, then comes other sports basket or volley ball, so..t.v. is interested in covering these sports more than anything else..but now thanks to some other satellite sport channels, u can still watch some tennis
4)Have you ever been to a tournament ? Wich ? Wich match did you prefer ?
no
5)Your favorite match ?
plenty..Wimbledon 1990 final:Edberg vs.Becker
US open 1992 final:Edberg vs Sampras
RG 1993 final :Sergei bruguera vs jim Courier
RG 1995 final Thomas Muster vs. Chang
Wimbledon 1997 semifinal :M.Stich vs. C.pioline (inspite of the sad result for me..Stich was defeated)
Rome Final 2005: Nadal vs. Coria
RG final 2005; Nadal vs. puerta
Wimbledon 2005: Federer Vs. everyone he played against
6) Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ?
Family: no..cuz they like tennis too....not as much as me, but we enjoy watching it together most of the time.. :)
Friends; only one or two are interested in the game..so we share some opinions..
7)Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)
mad? not to that extent..except, when i used to have important college exams and i still insisted to watch matches..(i still remember that .. Graf/ Hingis RG final 1999)there's no way leaving this match..(Thank GOD i got A in the exam too ;) )..when one of my favorites lose, i used to get sad for hours..it's getting shorter by age, i guess( except for Coria/Gaudio RG final 2004, this one i'll remember for life :sad: :smash: )..
thanx if you take the time to answer
thanks, if u take the time to read.. ;)

marifline
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
thanks, if u take the time to read.. ;)

I read all the answers...it's interesting to see how different people live with tennis..

tennisace
08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
1) It was ages ago - in the late 60's/early 70's. My father played, so I watched whatever was broadcast at the time. Here in the states, if I recall correctly, what little tennis there was on TV was broadcast on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) and only the USO was on network tv, and it was probably only the final weekend. Wimby final was broadcast, too, but on tape delay and might have been shown weeks after the match. I really don't remember clearly because back then I was more interested in hanging out with my friends, getting stoned, and listening to music, tbh.

2) JohnnyMac - cause he was a bad boy.

3) most of the time, especially since I have TTC now.

4) yes - USO, Wimby, Miami, Toronto/Montreal, Cincy, Hamlet, New Haven - all many many times - except only once at Wimby & Cincy.

4) Favorite match I saw in person would have been Rafter's semi final win over Chang USO '97. Favorite on TV - Both of Pat's USO wins, and over Andre in both Wimby semis.

5) no. I play a couple times a week with friends - and we discuss, also talk about it with my family - and friends from other boards who've I've met at tourneys all over and who have become "real" friends.

6) mad? Just when Espn chops up matches due to time constraints, or shows boring lopsided matches just because an American is playing. And needless to say, when the commos don't shut up and say stupid things.

jmp
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM

I think I was just flipping through TV channels and saw it one day. I was hooked!

B:inlove:RG!!

YES!! Yes, I get enough to watch. But, I'm always greedy for more.

Yes, TMC Houston 2003. Every match was a thrill for me. The players hit the ball SO hard with such accuracy. It's amazing. My favorite players to watch at that tournament were Andre and Roger.

5/ Your favorite match ?

There are too many to mention. But, if I had to choose it would be Andre winning Wimbledon over Goran in 1992.

EDIT TO ADD: I actually cried when Marat won AO '05. It wasn't a GREAT match. But, it was so emotional for me and proved to be a catalyst for great personal things in my life in 2005.

No, they tolerate my obsession and I have MTF friends to chat with.

Tons of times I get mad at the sport organizations, a situation or a specific player. Generally I get over it quickly. Here are some times I got mad:

* the rain delay debacle of USO '03
* I could have strangled Kimmy for losing to an injured Venus after the rain delay in the semis of Wimbledon '03(?). I'm almost over that.
* I was mad at JCF for about a year when he didn't win his first French final.
* I wanted to ban that umpire who called (or didn't call) the Serena/Jennifer quarter at USO '04. This was another UTSA screw up like the rain delay mess the previous year because the umps who call high profile matches were on some sort of suspension from the Olympics. So, they let this woman who was not rated for this level match do it and she lost control of the situation. I wrote a couple of angry emails and got form letters back.

Nymeria
08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Dunno, I have been watching tennis for ages, just like a lot of other sports. So I did prolly just start watching it coz it is a sport :p
Goran Ivanisevic :worship:
3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?I wanna be able to see more atp-tennis, it's just wta here all the time :zzz: and that gets boring after a while. I wanna see men!
I've been to some tournies before. First time was Rotterdam2001, last time was Dusseldorf2005 and next time will be Davis Cup Switzerland vs. Great Britain. I am so looking forward to it! I dunno if there was a match I prefered, there were more matches I liked.
5/ Your favorite match ?
hard to say, there are so many matches, can't compare them with each other.
Most of my friends dont'understand why I love to watch sport, so they rolleyes at me when I am talking about it. My parents do understand me luckily, as long as I dont'talk too much about it
I can get mad really easy if there's taken a wrong decision, esp. when it is against my faves (logically) but also when there is a wrong decision against him. But I also know that is in the game.

marifline
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
I wanna be able to see more atp-tennis, it's just wta here all the time :zzz: and that gets boring after a while. I wanna see men!

You're right WTA is just so boring :rolleyes: In France, for Wimbledon there were a crypted channel for men tennis and eurosport for women ( and of course I didn't have this crypted channel) :mad:

Angle Queen
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, between jtipson and tennisace...you have most of my answers but I'll add my 2-cents worth just because ;)

My very earliest memory was of an Arthur Ashe - Ilie Nastase clash at the USO. Since I didn't remember the year right offhand, I had to look it up. So...1972. Ashe was a Richmond native and it was a BIG deal around here. Everybody played (or wanted to) and I remember my mother and her girlfriends dragging us little kids along to the public parks so they could try hitting the ball across the net. It was cheap entertainment.

I'd like to say I've been watching since but I got bored during the Sampras years and drifted away so my tennis memories of the 90s are few and far between.

Like jtipson, I liked Borg...and his anti-thesis, bad boy McEnroe (like tennisace).

It has become a recent obsession to both play and watch. I would like to do more of both but I have a job and family so things have to be prioritized. Fortunately, my husband has a hobby he is passionate about too (hunting) so we're able to schedule our time appropriately. As for if there's enough on TV...there is more now than I can ever remember before (and I don't even have TTC)...but...it's never enough. :devil:

Only the Legg Mason. I wandered around too much and never really watched any match in particular to have a favorite. I'm hoping to attend the USO this year.

5/ Your favorite match ?
Impossible to select one of all time...there have just been too many. But a recent fav is the Hewitt/Roddick SF from Houston last year. Federer/Roddick SF at Wimby is also a top-notch match I'll be hard pressed to forget.

I had to laugh at jtipson's answer: No, I've learnt to shut up now. Took 20 years though. I'm still learning how to shut up. Fortunately, I play several times a week and my hitting partners seem to be equally obsessed. I can be rather bit¢hy if I miss one of those sessions and my poor husband has to hear all about it.

Yes, but because of a match I lost and consequently...my team lost. It would have put us in the District finals. The team we lost to...is headed for the National tournament in October. :(

bad gambler
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I played it throughout school and uni, so logical thing was to watch it as well!

Stefan Edberg

satisfied
Been to plenty, but always like Davis Cup - best match i have seen there is Rafter v Pioline 1997 in Sydney. Safe to say that was the turning point in Rafter's career.
5/ Your favorite match ?
See above

no

Only reason i get mad is when i play - got DQ'd for verbally abusing the umpire when playing in a tournament as a 15 year old. Not the fondest or proudest moment.

Kat!
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
When I first moved to Australia they would show the Aus Open during summer holidays.... and there was A LOT of it on TV so I naturally started watching.... but I only started following it more closely in 2001.

JC Ferrero

NO WAY! I don't have cable TV so there's hardly ever any tennis on TV.... doesn't look like we're getting USO this year too..... :mad:

Yes - TMC 01, Hong Kong 02, Sydney 03 & 04, Davis Cup Final 03, Adelaide 05, Auckland 05, Aus Open 03, 04 & 05.

5/ Your favorite match ?
JC Ferrero v Carlos Moya - Hong Kong Final 2002 ;)

I don't talk to my family about it - looool, some of my friends know a little, so it's okay.

I would say "really mad" - but I did get really upset watching one of the matches in TMC 01, but now I'm used to it.... and get over it pretty quickly.

JuchuPati
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
my 1st memory was the Roland Garros 1989 final, Steffi Graff-Arancha Schez.-Vicario. I remember my dad explained me how the points system worked :rolleyes:

ummm I think it was Sergi Bruguera

yes, I have enough cos I watch all the GS, also the Master Series. and other small tournaments that TV shows sometimes. :bigclap:

yes, Master Series Madrid. I have gone all the years since the 1st time here, in 2002. so 3 years already going. ummm I've watched many matches, but probably the most I liked was last year Agassi-Safin in semis.

5/ Your favorite match ?
pufff I couldn't choose. lately, I remember the Roger-Nadal final in Miami 2005. umm that Andy Roddick- El Aynaoui (Aus.Open 1/4 in 2003) was amazing too. :worship:

I talk with my dad about tennis, and with some friends who enjoy tennis alot too. ;)

umm watching tennis , sometimes. I get really nervous. :rolleyes: jejej and I was so touched (jajaI almost cried) when Spain won Davis Cup in Seville last year :banana:

Viveletennis
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
You're right WTA is just so boring :rolleyes: In France, for Wimbledon there were a crypted channel for men tennis and eurosport for women ( and of course I didn't have this crypted channel) :mad:

It was the same for me.

J'espère que Canal+ ne va pas acheter tous les droits de retransmissions des grand chelem masculins, sinon j'vais devoir changer d'abonnement !!!!

marifline
08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
It was the same for me.

J'espère que Canal+ ne va pas acheter tous les droits de retransmissions des grand chelem masculins, sinon j'vais devoir changer d'abonnement !!!!

Le truc c'est qu'ils n'ont pris que les MECS ! ils savaient ce qu'ils faisient les salauds :mad:

Damita
08-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Le truc c'est qu'ils n'ont pris que les MECS ! ils savaient ce qu'ils faisient les salauds :mad:
non ils ont montré les filles aussi! moi j'ai squatté la chambre de mon frère parce qu'il a Canal+, et le salon de ma milleure amie car elle a CanalSat (donc Canal+, Canal+Sport, et Sport+.... c'était Byzance! :p). J'ai jamais regardé Eurosport une seule fois. Et donc je peux te dire que Canal &co ont montré les filles aussi (j'en pouvais plus de râler après Myskina parce qu'elle jouait lamentablement par moments :o ;))

marifline
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
non ils ont montré les filles aussi! moi j'ai squatté la chambre de mon frère parce qu'il a Canal+, et le salon de ma milleure amie car elle a CanalSat (donc Canal+, Canal+Sport, et Sport+.... c'était Byzance! :p). J'ai jamais regardé Eurosport une seule fois. Et donc je peux te dire que Canal &co ont montré les filles aussi (j'en pouvais plus de râler après Myskina parce qu'elle jouait lamentablement par moments :o ;))

ça les rend que plus odieux...voler les mecs et oser montrer les filles en prime :mad: :lol: :lol:

Saumon
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
ça les rend que plus odieux...voler les mecs et oser montrer les filles en prime :mad: :lol: :lol:
:spit:

The Pro
08-25-2005, 03:16 PM

Always liked it really, first game I remember seeing was Goran vs Andre in that Wimby final where Goran went and lost. I was about 8 or 9.

Becker / Novotna.

Only get to see Wimbledon really and the US/RG finals, would like to see more.

WILL go to Wimbledon one day.

5/ Your favorite match ?

Tricky, maybe would be that US Open Semi of Hingis vs Venus (even though Hingis lost) I think it was 00. What a match. Also, the year of Capriati's comeback, her Wimbledon semi against Serena was gold. Plus when Zvereva won Eastbourne against Tauziat.

There all WTA, lemme see... Goran V Rafter the year Ivansevic finally did it (I'm crap with dates).

My friends are irritating cos they know sweet FA about tennis. And my brother has narrow interest, he hasn't supported anyone since Korda, Tod Martin and Kournikova stopped playing. :speakles:

I get annoyed when I play badly, or at least, when I disappoint myself (when my backhand goes either long or short but not in between).

I also hate it when I can't see the doubles matches I want, cos it either rains or they show some british no one instead.

Damita
08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
:haha:

Hendu
08-26-2005, 12:38 PM

My brother and my sister (both older than me) played tennis... so I didn't have a choice.

Probably Moya... Argentine tennis wasn't in a great moment in those days.

I liked Sampras and Rafter too.

Yes, I have lots of tennis to watch... :D

The first time I went to a tournament was in 1995 (I was 11 years old). It was the Buenos Aires ATP, in those days called Topper South American Open.
I watched a young Moya in his run to his first ATP title... (I don't remember if I went to the final though... I think I didn't). I still have a ball signed by Berasategui from that tournament.

If I have to choose a match I attended, then it would be an impressive and devastating performance of Dominik Hrbaty against Gumy in the Qualifying Rounds of the WG in the 1998 Davis Cup... there was so much dissapointment in that stadium... we had to wait for three more years to finally go back to the World Group.

5/ Your favorite match ?

Arnold/Nalbandian against Kafelnikov/Safin in 2002 Davis Cup Semifinal...

That was Nalbandian's first Davis Cup match
Lucas and David won 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 19-17 :eek:

so much suffering, so much happiness...

no.

I got mad with the officiating of the Kafelnikov/Gaudio match in the semis of the 2002 Davis Cup.

He was robbed! :mad:

Well, I guess I'm still mad...

Action Jackson
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM

Older brother and father were watching it and just followed along.

Borg and Wilander.

Of course. There used to be when I was growing up and as a teenager, but now it's not enough.

Yes, all the Slams, Båstad, Kitzbuhel, Geneva, Vienna, Stockholm, Sydney, Monte Carlo.

5/ Your favorite match ?

Too many to name.

I used to but not so much anymore.

More disappointed. Corretja and Mecir failing to win Slams. Jorge Dias having a brain fade at the DC 2002 against Argentina. Many other things have left me irritated it's more with the organisation.

Choupi
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I was sthg like 15, was watching tv, bored...and when skimming through the chanels, I've discovered a guy playing tennis in RG who I thought was revolutionary- I used to consider tennis so strict and boring beforehand! :rolleyes:

Andre Agassi, the Revolution Man! Jeans shorts, long and died hair! Funny and who didn't seem to care about the common rules, taking an umbrella to somebody from the crowd, because it was raining...I've decided to follow that guy, and since that moment, I've discovered what tennis was all about. And of course, I don't find it boring at all... :D

I guess so, yes. Though it's not always been the case.

1st rd DC 05 Sweden/France: the doubles match Clément/Llodra vs Björkman/Aspelin
RG 05 2nd rd: Malisse vs Nadal, Gonzalez vs Behrend, Gasquet vs Wessels
Stuttgart 05 1st & 2nd rd: Zabaleta vs Oli Rochus

5/ Your favorite match ?
The final of RG 04! AO 05 semi between Federer and Safin, Miami 05 Zabaleta vs Federer and many others!

I have friends who like tennis so that's ok. I simply don't talk tennis with the ones who dislike it. As for the family, well, we have other kinds of talks! But no frustration at all.

I've cried like a baby when Gaudio won RG...I felt like going down in the street, kissing somebody to share my joy, but nobody in sight, unfortunately!
But I'm sure there's more mad than this! :D

Lalitha
08-27-2005, 01:27 AM

5/ Your favorite match ?

1) My first match - 1992 FO final - Seles / Steffi.
2) Monica Seles & Goran Ivanisevic.
3) Not at all.. Hardly get to watch tennis except for GS's. (Damn the cricket crazy country)
4) Nope :bigcry:
5) a lot - Pete's final match at USO, Guga's victory at FO in 1997 and 2001, JC victory at FO 2003 and Gorans Wimbly achievement...................................
6) Yes, they think I'm mad and dont understand my passion for it :(
7) every time when my fav is doing badly.

Rex
08-27-2005, 09:07 AM
1.i started watching and playing tennis when my dad introduced it to me, he is a doctor and loved teh sport and started a league between different hospitals in free time, and so i would watch him, and the love for the sport has rubbed off on me.

2. First i liked Ferrero he was and is my favourite player, but i began to hear of this new kid called nadal, and now these are my favourite players,, for the way they play and their life off-court.

3. i have sufficient tennis to watch, its good enough , i get to see all 9 master series events, and the four grand slams on tv, then i get to see some tennis here and there.

4.Unfortunately, the sad thing is that im still looking for the day i see a pro match. I habe never been to a tourny, i was planning to go wimby this year though, but it didnt pan out, :sad:

5. Def. Roger vs nadal, earlier on this year, not many peaple realise that they where both playing a their best, and had great matches throughout the year.
But if we go a few years back, i would say all the various meetings agassi and sampras had, they where toooooooooooooooooo good.

6. i dont get frustrated when talking about tennis to friends and family, should i?????????

7.not really , just get overjoyed when any one of my many favourites do well. However i am known for always surporting the underdog in most matches

Aleksa's Laydee
08-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I played it since i was 4 then i was off school one day and saw Lindsay v Venus and Venus was winning and i didn't like her at all so i started supporting Lindsay. I got more and more into it then i started to follow her. Then i began to support Greg Rusedski more and more too :D

Lindsay Davenport then Greg Rusedski and then Thomas Johansson

Yep i can watch tennis whenever morning, afternoon or night!

Yeah I've been to Wimbledon (so many times!) Queens, Davis Cup, Eastbourne, Nottingham, Surbition and Roland Garros :D Wimbie and Roland Garros are the best then Queens and Nottingham :D

5/ Your favorite match ?
Hmmm thats hard...gotta say Lindsay d Maria 6-0 6-0 earlier this year and when Tojo beat Nalby at Wimbie easily! Also cinci 03 final between Mardy and Andy...that was a good match

My mum yes...because she doesnt get tennis, my dad is better he likes the Brits so thats not bad. Iv made a lot of friends through tennis on the net so i just talk to them about tennis so i dont get frustrated as they know how i feel!

Yeah when Lindsay lost to Maria last year in the Semis of Wimbledon i started shouting, cursing and crying (couldnt stop crying for ages)...it was a bad time for me :sad: :o

endymion
08-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Over at a friend's house. He's a huge sports fanatic, we were watching Maria Sharapova and another play. I started playing tennis at about the same time, which was the reason why I started watching it.

Maria Sharapova or Andre Agassi
Tennis has been on TV a lot lately, but it seems it's not available when you best feel like it.

Nope

5/ Your favorite match ?
Don't have much to chose from, but perhaps Agassi vs Federrer @ Australian Open 2004

Don't talk about it too much, generally we just play.

I don't think tennis has really ever pissed me off. Not the touring professionals or me screwing up bad. I can get a little mad but not REALLY mad. However once I got so pissed that I missed a rediculous close-court two handed over powered backhand (I only do one hand) and then did a very hard forehand into the net. I didn't care that I had lost the game at all, and that's not why I was mad it was outside of tennis things. Still with rage from the same reason I threw my racquet for the first time, almost twice.

superpinkone37
08-27-2005, 08:27 PM
1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ? I used to watch tennis a little bit when I was younger because my parents watched it and I was semi interested since I took lessons as a kid. It wasn't until I started getting more serious about tennis when I started highschool that I began watching it a ton and really following the tour (about USO 2003)

2/ Who was the first player you like ? Andre and Pete. My mom loved Andre, I think my dad was a little more pro-Pete. When I started liking tennis for myself, it was Andy.

3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ? I guess it's getting better with more tennis coverage lately, but I wish they would show a bigger variety of players. I wish I had TTC though.

4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Wich ? Wich match did you prefer ? I've been to IW the past two years, DC (US v Croatia), and qualies at Mercedes Benz LA. Best match? ummm I guess I would have to say that the atmosphere at DC was pretty cool :D

5/ Your favorite match ? Oh wow, there's no way I can pick a favorite match. But I've like Nadal since IW '04 and I love watching any of his matches :) There's never a boring match of his, lol.

6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ? I only have one friend who likes tennis (other than online) and I don't talk to him all that much anymore. My dad knows a lot about tennis...though not as much as he thinks he does lol. Yeah, I would say that I get frustarated talking about tennis with my family and friends.

7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....) Mad? I get upset at some outcomes of matches but I guess nothing too bad. :shrug:

liptea
08-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I've never been to a tournament. Carlos Moya is my favorite and I like Andy and Rafael and Mardy, but I like Roger too (that way I have at least one reliable player). And my parents usually just tell me to "turn the tennis off and go do homework." :sad: I cry sometimes when Carlos loses. And after last's years FO Quarterfinal, I threw a glass candle holder on a public sidewalk to relieve myself.

Truc
08-28-2005, 10:15 AM
1/ When I was a kid my family was watching the final of Roland-Garros and Wimbledon every year, so Borg became my hero. He brought me to tennis.

3/ Not satisfied, because the TV coverage of men's tournaments really sucks in Germany. On the other hand, since we practically only get the Grand Slams to see, that makes them really special and so thrilling like it was 15 years ago, it's nice too.

4/ RG and Bercy are my favourites. I know the crowd sometimes is annoying, but there is an incredible atmosphere.

6/ I'm glad my friends/family have other centers of interest! I already spend too much time reading stuff about tennis.

7/ Not anymore, thanks God. But I must admit that the FO final 2004 was kind of traumatic.

Primal
05-11-2006, 05:08 PM
At the age of 6 started to watch/play. (Thanks to Mom)

Becker (I was too young to analize, i just liked him)

Primal
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
At the age of 6 started to watch/play. (Thanks to Mom)

Becker (I was too young to analize, i just liked him)

4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Which ?

3 consequitive Dubai Opens.

5/ Your favorite match ?
safin-federer, australian open 2005 (may be not :))

No :)

:yeah:

Never enough...

oneandonlyhsn
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Very young, my dad was an avid Borg fan, he liked his style, composure and the fact that nothing seemed to rattle him. I guess that explains why I like Fed too. I lost interest for a while and then I saw Martina Hingis :worship:

Borg :drool: although I was too young at the time and only got to see his matches on tape

4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Which ?

Sadly none :sad:

5/ Your favorite match ?
Fed-Roddick Wimby 2003, Fed-Agassi US Open 2004, Goran-Rafter Wimby 2001 :sad:

Yes sometimes, my siblings are more into soccer and swimming

Earlier Fed losses used to drive me nuts, and Safin still does

No I want more more

DayTripperGH
05-18-2006, 01:38 AM
My friends got me into watching tennis.
Hewitt
no. no.
Yes, Chennai Open. Ljubicic d Moya
5/ Your favorite match ?
Federer d. Roddick
Wimbledon 2005
Yes, how can you think that Federer is not amazingly good?
When people kept complaining about Hewitt's on court antics, while they turned the other cheek to Nadal's.

Godiva
05-18-2006, 02:25 AM

Always been some vague sort of sports buff. Became a fan of Venus Williams when Serena won her first slam. Tennis and I are now inseparable.

First player i liked was Sanchez Vicario. I was a fan of her before I became a fan of tennis.

I get to see all of the Masters Series tournies, all of the slams and a couple of north american smaller tournies around summertime. It's not enough.

I've been to Indian Wells once and to miami three times. Indian Wells has too many old fuddy duddies. I prefer Miami. Can't remember which match I prefer. there were lots of good matches.

5/ Your favorite match ?

Guga v Mirnyi US open '02
Safin v Federer Australian '05
Guga v Russell RG '01
Guga v Agassi Portugal '01
Guga v Sampras Portugal '01
Venus v Davenport Wimbledon '00

Yes, they all think I'm nuts.

I get mad sometimes because I sometimes miss important fianls because of some personal commitment and usually have to settle for the taped version.

Thanx if you take the time to answer... :worship:[/QUOTE]

zicofirol
05-18-2006, 04:59 AM
1/ I was 10 years old was in my grandmas house for summer when GI Joes ended I kept watching early morning tv and it was Wimbledon coverage and just liked the game ever since. Although I already watched some matches before that as my dad also watched the bigger tournaments in tennis so I watched some matches here and there.

2/ Sampras, lol because I always got "teased" by my curly/bushy hair, and when I saw smapras I was like, he has the same hair as me I will root for him, lmao.

3/ No, thanks to fucking TTC who cant get on a decent package on Dish network. Some masters, all GS, and any south american future and challenger that TYC shows.

4/ 4 including 1 challenger. Indian Wells 2006, Amersfoort 2004, Stuttgart 2004. Favorite match was the Amersfoort final, Verkerk def. Gonzalez :(

5/ Hmm, so many Sampras Corretja 5 set US open match, Ivanisevic winning his only Wimbledon on Monay, and me in school getting late and then having to get updates through the phone. Federer Nalbandian was also exciting because Nalbandian won and it was a great match teh first 2 sets and final games. The olympics finals where also very exciting.

6/ Not really because I talk about tennis almost all day with my family, brother and cousin, however other family members do act like WTF, again talking tennis.

7/ When a favorite player blows a big opportunity to win a big tournament.

andys_gurl
08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
1/ How/Why do you start watching tennis ?Because i started playing it in junior school.
2/ Who was the first player you like ? ermmm Henman i think
3/ Are you satisfied in your relationship ? Do you have enough tennis to watch ?Yes theres normally a lot on all the time
4/ Have you ever been to a tournament ? Wich ? Wich match did you prefer ?Yeh went to wimbledon this year it was great. Saw the doubles.
5/ Your favorite match ? too many to name...
6/ Do you feel frustrated about talking about tennis with your friends/family ?Sometimes becuase they don't really no as much about tennis as me.
7/ Have you ever got really mad because of tennis ? Tell us more... ( the reason, the way it happened...consequences....)nope.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 12:19 AM

5/ Your favorite match ?

1. Cause I just liked the look of it.
2. Henman
3. Masters series + slams but not enough international ATP events.
4. Never.
5. Ivanisevic - Rafter 2001 Wimbledon final.
6. Yes, because they act like they know stuff and argue with me when they know shit.
7. Yes, broken rackets cause of stupid shots, not bothered about losing but get very angry when I hit a retarded shot when im capable of much better. Broke a racket once cause my opponent was giving me the point when I knew that it wasnt mine, i kept arguing but broke a racket to get the point accross, then they gave themselves the point.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 12:20 AM
oh and I started to play when I was 11 and a half.