Scoville Jenkins (d.) Jarkko Nieminen 2-6 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Scoville Jenkins (d.) Jarkko Nieminen 2-6 6-3 6-4

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow...how impressive was this kid today with his consistent 130mph serves?

Scoville = 17 Aces

:worship:

Does anyone know anymore about this kid?

Papakori
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
wow! Go Jenkins

I don't know much about him but will be interested to learn about him

Nimomunz
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
well at least he's proving he deserves the WC to the US Open!! Go scoville

p.s. that kid has a crap name!! :mad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-22-2005, 07:23 PM
:eek::eek:

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
He almost blew the match by double faulting 3 times while serving for the match but recovered nicely from break point and won the next two points. Impressive to say the least.

njnetswill
08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow a Young American having sucess...about time.

smucav
08-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know anymore about this kid?Today's victory over Nieminen is Jenkins's first ATP main draw win.

Previous posts:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1975081&postcount=7

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1975167&postcount=12

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1975244&postcount=16

Articles:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1975284&postcount=20

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1984455&postcount=31

Fee
08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Yes, me and AJ know about him. We are both big fans of his and have been discussing him in his support thread in the Team USA forum. There have also been a few discussion threads about him here in the General Forum (smucav was not the only person who posted relevant info in those threads).

He is definitely someone worth keeping an eye on. Go Sco! :D

Neely
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
What a wasted chance to do well in this tournament, Jarkko!

PaulieM
08-22-2005, 07:44 PM
good for him! i'd really like to see him play sometime :D

SwissMister1
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
I wonder what the weather was like there today. Nieminen doesn't seem like a guy that likes the heat. Jenkins is from the South and grew up playing in these kind of conditions. The heat can help a player like Jenkins or Ginepri against a guy who spends a lot more time in cooler conditions.

onewoman74
08-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Scoville unlike Donald Young is cutting his teeth on the challenger circuit...now he gets a good win!! That says something about working your way up instead of getting WC into tournies...I know Scoville has a WC for the US Open, but Americans give WC to their up and coming players.

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I wonder what the weather was like there today. Nieminen doesn't seem like a guy that likes the heat. Jenkins is from the South and grew up playing in these kind of conditions. The heat can help a player like Jenkins or Ginepri against a guy who spends a lot more time in cooler conditions.

no excuses, it's tennis

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
If Scoville can serve and play like that against Robredo, I give him a serious shot at the upset...

Golfnduck
08-22-2005, 08:41 PM
WOW!!! :eek: Huge win for Scoville. Good job :yeah:

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Wow has this kid come a LONG way. Remember his match against Roddick last year at the USO? I didn't think he would ever be able to compete at the ATP level because in that match, Roddick basically let him win a couple of games. Congrats Scoville. I hope he makes some noise at the USO.

Neely
08-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Remember his match against Roddick last year at the USO?
Yes I remember, and that's at the same time the last thing I've heard of him *g*
(I also must note that I'm not a big daily follower of Futures or Challengers, so I have heard nothing about him since then)

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
it's true that he hasn't done much in 2005

Fee
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
um, no. Actually Scoville has done a lot in 2005, but he's done it quietly and methodically (and its kind of hard for a young, black American kid on the tour to get much ink behind the Donald Young juggernaut). By working his tail off on the Futures and Challenger circuit, he has steadily increased his ranking every week since the USO last year. He is developing his game at the proper pace, to accomodate his still growing physique. I have spoken to his father and his coach and they are both very conscious of bringing him along the right way so that he doesn't burn out and he doesn't get overwhelmed by it all. He's been a practice partner for the DC team, and the guys seemed to like him a lot, so they kind of keep an eye on him. I saw him play in Aptos and I was very impressed with him.

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 09:38 PM
To win an ATP level match and get good consistent reuslts on the Futures ciruit means a lot of work put in by this kid. I know that match against Roddick wasn't much to go by because he was nervous, he was playing an entirely different calibre of player, etc. but his trokes just looked off and fundamentally flawed. NOw he's won an ATP level match. Much to be proud of.

kundalini
08-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Scoville is making steady improvement. Sure this is a great win for him but right now he is a player still putting together his game and getting to grips with the Challenger circuit.

He made the quarters of Aptos and the quarters of Lexington. He has had a couple of tight matches with Bobby Reynolds, almost beat Kevin Kim and a lot of people have been impressed with his game. But his record in Challengers this year is 5-6.

He is not ready. That is why he "hasn't done much"

He must be a couple of years away from breaking into the top 100. Give him some time.

Chris Seahorse
08-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Scoville is making steady improvement. Sure this is a great win for him but right now he is a player still putting together his game and getting to grips with the Challenger circuit.

He made the quarters of Aptos and the quarters of Lexington. He has had a couple of tight matches with Bobby Reynolds, almost beat Kevin Kim and a lot of people have been impressed with his game. But his record in Challengers this year is 5-6.

He is not ready. That is why he "hasn't done much"

He must be a couple of years away from breaking into the top 100. Give him some time.

Good balance post. I agree.

Grinder
08-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I think the best US teens are Wayne Odesnik, Brendan Evans, Alex Kuzentsov and then the likes of Scoville Jenkins, Phillip Simmonds, Neilly, Lipsky, Querrey,Young, etc.

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 11:20 PM
I just downloaded quite a few of his matches and have seen some impressive stuff so far. Would love to see him do well and by the looks of things, the ATP could really use a black TOP 25 player. Gael Monfils is almost there but I don't think he is as marketable as the young black American. Can you imagine how Tennis would takeoff in the US if Jenkins became huge? Tiger Woods did it for golf, Jenkins could do it for Tennis with one big tournament.

Have you seen this kid? He isn't nerdy like Malavea Washington or Gael Monfils. He actually has 'cool' appeal and could really be huge in some parts of America. I heard he is huge at some tennis clubs in Atlanta.

Fee
08-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Where did you find his matches? (And how can I get you to burn them onto DVD's for me? stupid dial up connection....)

Did you just add his name to your signature? Cool, welcome to the club! :D

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Where did you find his matches? (And how can I get you to burn them onto DVD's for me? stupid dial up connection....)

Did you just add his name to your signature? Cool, welcome to the club! :D

i'll send you a private message once they are done downloading.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Stupid Jarkko!

Scotso
08-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Pf Jarkko.

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 01:09 AM
it's pretty tough to win when you get aced 17 times by a kid

jole
08-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Another tennis product of Atlanta.

smucav
08-23-2005, 01:38 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/08/22/bc.na.spt.ten.pilotpen.ap/index.htmlThere also was an upset Monday on the men's side when 18-year-old Scoville Jenkins of Atlanta, ranked 372nd, won his first ATP match in three tries. He beat Jarkko Nieminen, ranked 55th, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"I was pretty nervous in the first set," said Jenkins, whose first ATP match was against Andy Roddick in last year's U.S. Open. "I was excited (to win) but I know that this is only the first round."

His next opponent is fourth-seeded Tommy Robredo.

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 01:39 AM
thanks for the article...can't wait to see this kid develop...

smucav
08-23-2005, 01:58 AM
I just downloaded quite a few of his matches and have seen some impressive stuff so far. Would love to see him do well and by the looks of things, the ATP could really use a black TOP 25 player. Gael Monfils is almost there but I don't think he is as marketable as the young black American. Can you imagine how Tennis would takeoff in the US if Jenkins became huge? Tiger Woods did it for golf, Jenkins could do it for Tennis with one big tournament.I think that's why so many people are so obsessed with Donald Young. Ironically about half of the young American players--both male (Scoville Jenkins, Phillip Simmonds, Timothy Neilly, Marcus Fugate) & female (Angela Haynes, Jamea Jackson, Shenay Perry, Jewel Peterson, the Uberoi sisters)--under the age of 21 are non-white. Why not give them the same promotion that Young has been getting? One of them might be "the one" years before Young is ready (particularly considering most of them are more mature & already fulltime professionals).Have you seen this kid? He isn't nerdy like Malavea Washington or Gael Monfils. He actually has 'cool' appeal and could really be huge in some parts of America. I heard he is huge at some tennis clubs in Atlanta.I saw a lot of Phillip Simmonds in Washington--he qualified for the main draw, but lost to Wayne Arthurs in three sets-- and he has as you describe it a "cool appeal" as well. (He reminded me a little of LeBron James). He hung around for a few days after he lost to watch his buddy Scott Oudsema play doubles & to practice with the top guys (James Blake one day) and there was quite a buzz around him wherever he went. So many people young & old alike were asking him for autographs & pictures (he & his parents seemed a little surprised that anyone recognized him). I think a lot of them were people who saw him play the qualifying or first round, liked what they saw (both tennis-wise and personality-wise), and wanted to get up close to a future star.

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 02:02 AM
I think that's why so many people are so obsessed with Donald Young. Ironically about half of the young American players--both male (Scoville Jenkins, Phillip Simmonds, Timothy Neilly, Marcus Fugate) & female (Angela Haynes, Jamea Jackson, Shenay Perry, Jewel Peterson, the Uberoi sisters)--under the age of 21 are non-white. Why not give them the same promotion that Young has been getting? One of them might be "the one" years before Young is ready (particularly considering most of them are more mature & already fulltime professionals).I saw a lot of Phillip Simmonds in Washington--he qualified for the main draw, but lost to Wayne Arthurs in three sets-- and he has as you describe it a "cool appeal" as well. (He reminded me a little of LeBron James). He hung around for a few days after he lost to watch his buddy Scott Oudsema play doubles & to practice with the top guys (James Blake one day) and there was quite a buzz around him wherever he went. So many people young & old alike were asking him for autographs & pictures (he & his parents seemed a little surprised that anyone recognized him). I think a lot of them were people who saw him play the qualifying or first round, liked what they saw (both tennis-wise and personality-wise), and wanted to get up close to a future star.

thanks for the great info. I have yet to see Simmonds play but would love it for him and Jenkins to both make it big. Can you imagine the reaction in some countries should two American black males make the TOP 50? Tennis badly needs the (not to be racist because I am the furthest things from it) but 'Gangsta Appeal' or 'Cool Appeal'. This doesn't mean they are criminals or gangsters or anything. It's just a way of putting it. The Lebron James of Tennis would be amazing to watch...sure would put Tennis on ESPN for more than Roddick or Agassi matches.

Grinder
08-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Scott Oudsema's got the "Abercrombie" look that a lot of chicks go for. He could be big if he cracks the top 100.

amierin
08-23-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm glad to hear Scoville is still playing and I look forward to seeing him along with all the young people mentioned in this thread. I'm making note of them and will follow their progress.

Fee
08-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Simmonds struck me as very down to earth and laid back the few times I've seen him. I've never really spoken to him, but I think Scoville Sr introduced me to to him. I didn't get to see him play, but it seems like he was always heading to or coming from the practice courts in Aptos.

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Still playing? Where would he have gone?

smucav
08-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Scott Oudsema's got the "Abercrombie" look that a lot of chicks go for. He could be big if he cracks the top 100.Abercrombie must think he has the "Abercrombie" look too since they hired him as a model last year. Oudsema is endorsed by Polo, the new clothing sponsor of the U.S. Open. He's their only tennis player and is supposed to be featured in all their U.S. Open advertising, but that wasn't enough to even get him a qualifying wild card (he got one last year as the Kalamazoo finalist).

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/112375560161670.xml&coll=7Oudsema becoming teen heartthrob
Thursday, August 11, 2005
pshebest@kalamazoogazette.com 388-2730

If a pro tennis career doesn't work out, Portage native Scott Oudsema could try modeling.

He has already done a photo shoot for Polo Ralph Lauren and will be featured as the ``face'' of Ralph Lauren in an ad campaign during the U.S. Open in September.

His latest gig is a feature in the September issue of Teen Vogue magazine, which hit the stands Wednesday.

Oudsema, 19, is featured as one of three up-and-coming tennis stars, said Amy Astley, editor-in-chief of the magazine.

The other two are American Scoville Jenkins, 18, who defeated Oudsema in last year's USTA Boys' 18 National Championships singles final, and Spain's Rafael Nadal, 19.

The article is called ``Open season -- Introducing the new kings of the court: three of the hottest up-and-coming players on the tennis circuit.''

``We appreciate their talent and sportsmanship,'' Astley said. ``It's good to have a good-looking all-American type who's not a movie star. All three are at different points in their careers.''

Astley said the fact that Oudsema won three junior Grand Slams and five junior titles helped seal the deal.

``I was intrigued that he's working with Ralph Lauren,'' she said. ``The editors brought him to my attention and I'm from East Lansing, so it was a no-brainer.''

Oudsema's opening quote of the story is, ``I'm not famous yet, but I do get noticed a little bit in Kalamazoo.''

Oudsema's photo shoot took place in Auburn, Calif., two months ago following a long day of tennis.

``They took the photos in California, but I answered the questions by phone,'' Oudsema said. ``They shot Scoville in New York.''

Oudsema has been settling in on the pro circuit, earning points so he gets into the main draw of tournaments instead of having to play the qualifiers.

``So far, (pro tennis) has been good,'' Oudsema said. ``I feel like I'm improving and working my way up.

``It's tough to play through a lot of matches because you're on a back court with no one watching. It's mentally tough, but it's something you've got to do.''

© 2005 Kalamazoo. Used with permission

Copyright 2005 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.I saw a lot of Oudsema in Washington too. I would put him at around the same level tennis-wise as Simmonds (neither of them have played as many challengers as Jenkins). Simmonds is slightly ahead of Oudsema & probably a little mentally tougher was well. Oudsema is a good doubles player (he won three out of four junior grand slams in 2004 w. Brendan Evans) & appears to have finished growing. (Simmonds hasn't completely grown into his height yet & will probably get a little stronger when he does). He can really crack his forehand down the line & has a pretty big serve, but seemed to drop his level whenever he got in trouble & was distracted a little by the close proximity of the crowd on the outer courts.

At one of his qualifying matches, this woman next to me started asking me about Oudsema (& his opponent Smeets). It turned out that she & her niece who was allegedly 16--but looked older--were picking which qualifying matches they went to in the afternoon by who the niece thought was the "cutest" in the first round of qualifying in the morning. Oudsema was the clear winner in that department according to the demographic breakdown of the crowd.

Grinder
08-23-2005, 02:28 AM
I actually played Simmonds at a junior event two years ago, he is an extremely streaky player. He's got a big serve that can even reach 140 but goes for a lot on his groundstrokes when he's on, and when he's not playing well he resorts to pushing. The score was something like 7-5 6-1.

Back on topic, Scoville's brothers Jarmere and Jarmaine are pretty good too. Jarmere is a high ranked junior in 14/16's and Jarmaine is 21 and has beaten Alex Kuznetsov.

Has anyone seed Alex Kuznetsov play? He seemed like a really promising player until that car accident recently. I'm shocked that the USTA gave Scoville a wildcard over Evans and Odesnik.

Tennis Fool
08-23-2005, 02:41 AM
I first heard of SC last year when JMac kept repeating his name over and over. He just liked the sound of it :lol:

Anyway, there was a pix of him on the ATP site. He really has the Meterosexual look down, way more than Nadal :p

Tennis Fool
08-23-2005, 02:42 AM
BTW, did JMac win that tournament he was playing over the weekend?

njnetswill
08-23-2005, 02:44 AM
http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.com/PHOTOS/ScottOudsema3.jpg

That's the face of POLO? :confused:

smucav
08-23-2005, 02:52 AM
thanks for the great info. I have yet to see Simmonds play but would love it for him and Jenkins to both make it big.They actually played against each other as the undercard match at Pam Shriver's charity event in Baltimore last year. Maybe someday they will be asked back to play the marquee match.

http://www.tennischallenge.org/index.html

tennisnut
08-23-2005, 03:07 AM
I have been fan of his after seeing him in miami junior event.I met his coach and his father-down to earth people.This kid has a lot of poise.His coach is a believer in the long term.He will be putting more net play in his game so might see loses because of this.Dont forget he is only going to be 19 shortly.

Pheobo
08-23-2005, 03:09 AM
w00t...

Björki
08-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Jarkko :eek:

aj_m2009
08-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Wow...how impressive was this kid today with his consistent 130mph serves?

Scoville = 17 Aces

:worship:

Does anyone know anymore about this kid?

My Sco site (http://scoville-jenkins.com)
Sco's official site (http://sco93.com)

And if a pm with the link to the matches could be sent to me as well it would be much appreciated.:)

delsa
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Very impressive. :eek: This thread is so interesting. It makes you curious about following the young upcoming American players... I hope he'll keep developping as his fellow contrymen of his generation. If some of them can make it to the top, it will mean another breath of fresh air on the ATP circuit and a lot more ppl attracted towards tennis even more than with the new faces we already have now...
Good luck to them! :yeah:

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Very impressive. :eek: This thread is so interesting. It makes you curious about following the young upcoming American players... I hope he'll keep developping as his fellow contrymen of his generation. If some of them can make it to the top, it will mean another breath of fresh air on the ATP circuit and a lot more ppl attracted towards tennis even more than with the new faces we already have now...
Good luck to them! :yeah:

Exactly what I was talking about. We all know how is America is with their sports. Should a young black American somehow make it into the TOP 50 and somehow win a big event or make some noise in it, it could be the start of something new and amazing. Like I said, all it took for golf was Tiger Woods and now every kid in the Country wants to play. There has not been a black player to play golf on the PGA since Tiger's arrival, however check out in 5-10 years and I bet you there are 10+ black players. Excellent.

silverwhite
08-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Wow. What an upset. Jarkko :(

Herceg Novi
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Go Scoville! I watched him and Djokovic at the AO Junior DOubles last yr and they were awesome!

smucav
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7592&newsid=1508033708/23/2005
Jenkins comes up aces in first tour victory
Brett Orzechowski, Register Staff

NEW HAVEN — Maybe Scoville Jenkins was a little overmatched when he faced Andy Roddick in last year’s U.S. Open. He never tried returning a serve like Roddick’s, nor did he ever play in such a high-profile professional event.
One year later, just a month shy of his 19th birthday, Jenkins entered another ATP event a little more seasoned and physically on par with the field at the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament.

After one nerve-filled first set, Jenkins used a blistering serve and his athletic ability to secure his first career tour win over Jarkko Nieminen 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 Monday on Stadium Court at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

Jenkins will return to the U.S. Open, but for now he advanced to the Pilot Pen’s second round where No. 4 seed Tommy Robredo awaits the Atlanta product.

"First win. I feel comfortable because I’ve been waiting for this," Jenkins said. "I wasn’t relaxed in those final games, but I have to get used to this. I have to realize now that I’m on a stage."

Jenkins used 17 aces to keep Nieminen off balance. It wasn’t until a cross-court winner in the final game of the third set when Scoville sensed the win. A fist pump reassured it. A Nieminen unforced error sealed it.

One of Finland’s top tennis products, Nieminen has struggled to retain his 2003 form after a wrist injury sidelined him for three months that year. He peaked at No. 36 in the world but lost some speed on his left-handed serve after the setback.

Against Jenkins, he managed just three aces. Two years ago, that number would have changed the outcome against the precocious Jenkins.

The Pilot Pen is only Jenkins’ third ATP event. He lost to Roddick in three sets at the Open, and then fell to Kevin Kim earlier this year at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships.

Jenkins gained a small following since he became the first African-American to win the Boys’ Supernational Hard Court Championship in Kalamazoo, Mich., in 2004.

He grew up keeping tennis a secret from his friends, opting to push basketball aside for the Atlanta hard courts. He received some help financially for travel expenses from Hank Aaron, who used to play tennis against Jenkins’ father, Scoville. Now Jenkins is looking for a sponsor, hoping a good showing this week will force someone to take notice.

"Tennis wasn’t the popular thing to do where I grew up," Scoville said. "People started to understand what I was doing when I started missing school for tennis. My friends wanted to do the same thing. Now I hope everyone wants to help me get to where I want to be. A win here is a good start."

Brett Orzechowski may be reached at borzechowski@nhregister.com.

©New Haven Register 2005

ae wowww
08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Inspirational story, although somewhat unconventional :D What a great guy!

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, had no idea Hank Aaron was responsible for this kid's funding...even greater story.

Mistaflava
08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I sure hope he does well today against Tommy's weak brain. The nerves will certainly be somewhat gone.

CMON SCO!

Grinder
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
He's ripped...
http://cache.****************/comp/51250781.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE7F9CD95D1136523214CA59F95C48 B505621B2AC3A62513D3

JMG
08-23-2005, 07:36 PM
http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7592&newsid=15080337

What a bullshit article. "Lost speed on his serve" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tennischick
08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
go Scoville :banana: wow, he's really muscled up between January last year (when i last saw him) and today. he's gotten huge :eek:

NYCtennisfan
08-23-2005, 09:36 PM
It was a great win but Robredo today will be difficult. Go Scoville!

smucav
08-23-2005, 11:28 PM
http://www.mlive.com/sports/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/112375560161670.xml&coll=7Today at the grocery store I checked out the Teen Vogue tennis spread (mentioned in the article about Oudsema). Each player has a page with a posed shot & an "action" shot from a match along with a short blurb/interview. Nadal is wearing Nike, Oudsema is wearing Polo, & Jenkins is wearing Le Coq Sportif. This leads me to believe that his comment about finding a sponsor (other than Hank Aaron) include finding a clothing sponsor as well. He must just be wearing Nike (which gives unsponsored players big discounts) because it's cheap, but he's free to sign with anyone who wants him. Octagon get to work! Get this boy some new clothes.