Are Things A Little Unusual Right Now? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are Things A Little Unusual Right Now?

switz
08-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Seems to me like things are a little stagnant right now when you get below the big 5 or 6 (Roger, Rafa, Lleyton, Andy, Marat, Andre). Some players are playing pretty poorly but still rising in the rankings (eg Coria, Nalbandian), some big names are gradually sinking down the rankings (Carlos, Grosjean, Massu, Haas etc) and it seems like one decent performance and anyone in the top 30 could be challenging or in the top 10.

Don't get me wrong i think think the ATP is in a pretty great place right now but is something changing?

I don't know - probably a stupid thread

Action Jackson
08-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Sport is cyclical, people whined when there were 4 different Slam winners in 2002, claiming it was no quality and now there is alleged stagnation on the tour with a smaller concentration of winners. It just depends on what appeals more to individuals.

As for stupid thread, there are so many of these on GM at the moment I am going to include a category in the MTF awards for it and no this one isn't going to be nominated.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 07:05 AM
it's the effect of having roger and rafa dominating this year in tandem. both are getting the bigger piece of the pie, leaving scraps for everyone else...

switz
08-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Sport is cyclical, people whined when there were 4 different Slam winners in 2002, claiming it was no quality and now there is alleged stagnation on the tour with a smaller concentration of winners. It just depends on what appeals more to individuals.

i understand that but it wasn't really what i was talking about because i was excluded the big guns from my question. i was talking about the sport in general and i guess i was in fact asking if we in a change in the cycle where new names are establishing themselves etc.

Action Jackson
08-22-2005, 07:11 AM
i understand that but it wasn't really what i was talking about because i was excluded the big guns from my question. i was talking about the sport in general and i guess i was in fact asking if we in a change in the cycle where new names are establishing themselves etc.

As for being it cyclical, you mentioned players that were going down from previous and they have to be part of any cyclical trends in tennis as they are players.

Sport moves on in and tennis is no different, well it's only those 6 that are clearly best on hardcourts and not necessarily on clay, there are variables and it would be better to view this later on within next year to get a clearer picture.

Puschkin
08-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't know - probably a stupid thread

Not at all. I also think this is a very strange year, two guys are dominating the sport, and hadn't Marat won AO, Roger and Rafael would share all the major titles (and many minor ones) between them. I would not want to be in all the others' shoes. It must be quite frustrating. But they'll have to keep trying ;) .

switz
08-22-2005, 07:12 AM
it's the effect of having roger and rafa dominating this year in tandem. both are getting the bigger piece of the pie, leaving scraps for everyone else...

yeah that's true but it's not just them i think. a lot of players we're accustomed to winning most of there matches don't seem to be doing it as much anymore. seems like every week it's a different player having a good week

megadeth
08-22-2005, 07:21 AM
well, like i said, if 2 players get a bigger piece, that only leaves small ones for the rest of the field.

kudos to those who make the most of those chances:

1. roddick
2. gaudio
3. er who else has won 3 or more events other than the big 2?

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM

As for stupid thread, there are so many of these on GM at the moment I am going to include a category in the MTF awards for it and no this one isn't going to be nominated.
MTF awards :rolls: :aparty: :aparty: Can i ask for a bigger trophy for "Horniest poster of the year" :o I think i could have a chance :angel:

Skyward
08-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Now that vcash is given for opening a new thread, you'll have even more choices. :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Now that vcash is given for opening a new thread, you'll have even more choices. :rolleyes:
:speakles: no idea

Skyward
08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
:speakles: no idea

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=49950&page=2

Read Amanda's post. You'll be rich soon :p

Neely
08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
But keep in mind that it can prove costly if threads or posts do get deleted by mods because they are so pointless, completely useless or all the time made by the same person only to collect vcash. There are not only vcash rewards, but also penalties.

Skyward
08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
But keep in mind that it can prove costly if threads or posts do get deleted by mods because they are so pointless, completely useless or all the time made by the same person only to collect vcash. There are not only vcash rewards, but also penalties.

Then why are the threads like" Is JMG officially out?" and " Is Mirka pregnant?" still here? ;)

Action Jackson
08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Then why are the threads like" Is JMG officially out?" and " Is Mirka pregnant?" still here? ;)

That's a fair point.

For sure, but I need to have quality control when I am announcing the categories.

sigmagirl91
08-23-2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.

tangerine_dream
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
But keep in mind that it can prove costly if threads or posts do get deleted by mods because they are so pointless, completely useless or all the time made by the same person only to collect vcash.
I'm not buying this because GM is loaded with useless and pointless troll threads and I don't see the mods doing anything about it.

To answer the original poster's question, if I understand you correctly, then I would agree that I think we are witnessing the next great generation come of age right now.

Haute
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
and it seems like one decent performance and anyone in the top 30 could be challenging or in the top 10.

Puerta a perfect example. ;)

Right now, there's really only about 400-500 points separating 10-30.