Nadal : Metrosexual of the moment [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal : Metrosexual of the moment

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 03:02 AM
.. Move over, David Beckham -- Iberian tennis superstar Rafael Nadal is the to-die-for metrosexual of the moment. ..

http://www.gay.com/style/package.html?sernum=1211&navpath=channels/style/

:haha: :haha: :cool: :yeah: Well, Rafa is getting more people into tennis :D

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 03:07 AM
.. And, most notably, he competes in tight Capri pants that show off his impressive assets. He also constantly calls attention to this region by frequently adjusting the wedgie his Capris give him before he serves, a habit the unofficial Web site VamosRafael.com claims is "a nervous tic he developed as a young player." ..

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Scotso
08-22-2005, 03:15 AM
:yawn:

Rafa isn't a metrosexual.

Doctor Dance
08-22-2005, 03:16 AM
what does this mean?

(sorry my english is still not the best :o )

alfonsojose
08-22-2005, 03:18 AM
:yawn:

Rafa isn't a metrosexual.
i agree. But he's getting attention, so that's :cool:

Paul Banks
08-22-2005, 03:23 AM
The "metrosexual" label is so stupid. Most people, men and women, take care of how they look.

Talk about an empty article. Gay dot com seem to be good at producing that.

Mistaflava
08-22-2005, 03:29 AM
.. Move over, David Beckham -- Iberian tennis superstar Rafael Nadal is the to-die-for metrosexual of the moment. ..

http://www.gay.com/style/package.html?sernum=1211&navpath=channels/style/

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tall_one
08-22-2005, 04:18 AM
what does this mean?

(sorry my english is still not the best :o )
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Metrosexual :)

Éowyn
08-22-2005, 04:25 AM
metrosexuals are as sex in the city put it "the gay straight guy"

the straight guy who is well dressed and looks after himself

Éowyn
08-22-2005, 04:26 AM
.. And, most notably, he competes in tight Capri pants that show off his impressive assets. He also constantly calls attention to this region by frequently adjusting the wedgie his Capris give him before he serves, a habit the unofficial Web site VamosRafael.com claims is "a nervous tic he developed as a young player." ..

:haha: :haha: :haha:

i still say if he can't leave his undies alone i will have to remove them for him :p

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Rafa doesn't seem like the metrosexual type to me.

Eléa
08-22-2005, 06:31 AM
i agree in a way.. i've always thought and said that Rafa is slashy :lol:

Clara Bow
08-22-2005, 06:46 AM
I don't think that Nadal is metrosexual in the slightest. I think Nike chooses his clothing for the court- so he's not even deciding there. Outside of that, Rafael, doesn't seem to really care about clothing at all- he has about 6 shirts that he rotates in his off court appearances.

Nikki♥
08-22-2005, 06:52 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Metrosexual :)

You might be "metrosexual" if:

1. You just can't walk past a Banana Republic store without making a purchase.

2. You own 20 pairs of shoes, half a dozen pairs of sunglasses, just as many watches and you carry a man-purse.

3. You see a stylist instead of a barber, because barbers don't do highlights.

4. You can make her lamb shanks and risotto for dinner and Eggs Benedict for breakfast... all from scratch.

5. You only wear Calvin Klein boxer-briefs.

6. You shave more than just your face. You also exfoliate and moisturize.

7. You would never, ever own a pickup truck.

8. You can't imagine a day without hair styling products.

9. You'd rather drink wine than beer... but you'll find out what estate and vintage first.

10. Despite being flattered (even proud) that gay guys hit on you, you still find the thought of actually getting intimate with another man truly repulsive.

:haha:

its.like.that
08-22-2005, 06:57 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

lol... this is your type of thread partner ;).

joyk
08-22-2005, 06:57 AM
I don`t think Nadal is a metrosexual.

Castafiore
08-22-2005, 07:07 AM
But anyone familiar with Nadal's powerful strokes won't be surprised that he isn't letting himself get pushed around by American tennis yahoos: He's sticking with his "piratas," or pirate pants.
It's a combination of things:
1. Nike asked him to wear them. Most players just wear what the sponsors ask them to wear. However, Nadal said that he would not have worn them if they were uncomfortable and they are so he wears them.
2. Those American yahoos (to use their term) need to get over the fact that three quarter pants are part of everyday male fashion in large parts of Europe. They need to get over the fact that in some corners of the world, people have a different view on fashion.
3. So, if taking care of yourself and wearing those pirate pants is proof of being "metrosexual" than many European men are metrosexual. Fine by me if you like labels but it's silly.

Anyway, thanks for the link. Fluffy and without contents but still fun enough to read on a grey monday morning..

MariaV
08-22-2005, 08:27 AM

That's a good thing isn't it! :yeah: :D :cool:

irma
08-22-2005, 09:27 AM
He is hardly what I call vain well at least judging on his hair otherwise he would have combed his hair to look good with the french open trophy;)

~EMiLiTA~
08-22-2005, 09:34 AM
i wouldn't call rafa metro...i would say that's more FLo or Verdasco...

sigmagirl91
08-22-2005, 10:54 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Metrosexual

This is funny....

Eléa
08-22-2005, 11:38 AM
it's not Necessarily a bad thing to call Rafa metrosexual, i like metrosexual boys :inlove: ;) Feli is one too i think :D

mitalidas
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
the ATP winner of the metrosexual award is gambill

amierin
08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
i still say if he can't leave his undies alone i will have to remove them for him

I'll get right on that for you... ;)

PamV
08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
The "metrosexual" label is so stupid. Most people, men and women, take care of how they look.

Talk about an empty article. Gay dot com seem to be good at producing that.

I thought it had something to do with ambiguous sexuality. In any case I saw a film on F. Lopez in which he states that HE IS as metrosexual. So I am not sure what he was trying to say. He said that as if it were a good thing.

PamV
08-22-2005, 01:08 PM
it's not Necessarily a bad thing to call Rafa metrosexual, i like metrosexual boys :inlove: ;) Feli is one too i think :D
Yes, read my last post. Feli states that he is one. I am wondering if the meaning is different in different countries. I don't think in the US it is considered a good thing. I think the term has become a joke. Maybe in Spain it means something else.

PamV
08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
It's a combination of things:
1. Nike asked him to wear them. Most players just wear what the sponsors ask them to wear. However, Nadal said that he would not have worn them if they were uncomfortable and they are so he wears them.
2. Those American yahoos (to use their term) need to get over the fact that three quarter pants are part of everyday male fashion in large parts of Europe. They need to get over the fact that in some corners of the world, people have a different view on fashion.
3. So, if taking care of yourself and wearing those pirate pants is proof of being "metrosexual" than many European men are metrosexual. Fine by me if you like labels but it's silly.

Anyway, thanks for the link. Fluffy and without contents but still fun enough to read on a grey monday morning..

My complaint on the 3/4 pants is that they don't look good. I don't blame Rafa because he didn't design them. Even in every day life people look dorky to wear big shoes and 3/4 pants. Everyone knows you have to wear high heels in order to make 3/4 pants work.

Now I wish you'd define the entire meaning of Metrosexual because I thought it was more than just taking care of one's appearance. Isn't it also something like a man who doesn't feel the need to look masculine....and who might wear make up and worry about getting wrinkles?

Saumon
08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
My complaint on the 3/4 pants is that they don't look good. I don't blame Rafa because he didn't design them. Even in every day life people look dorky to wear big shoes and 3/4 pants. Everyone knows you have to wear high heels in order to make 3/4 pants work.

:confused: many guys wear 3/4 pants here in europe and it looks good imho, not metrosexual at all :scratch: i think it looks better than baggy shorts :shrug:

but yeah 3/4 pants with high heels for GUYS would definitly look metrosexual :tape:

PamV
08-22-2005, 01:47 PM
:confused: many guys wear 3/4 pants here in europe and it looks good imho, not metrosexual at all :scratch: i think it looks better than baggy shorts :shrug:

but yeah 3/4 pants with high heels for GUYS would definitly look metrosexual :tape:

I didn't say that 3/4 pants look metrosexual. I was just saying that Feli states he is metrosexual. I was also trying to guess at the true meaning and thinking that it might be taken differently in the US vs in Europe. In the US I believe the term has become a joke.

In the US the only times men are wearing 3/4 pants they are the ones so baggy they are falling off....that would be a sort of hip hop style. That is a fad that should be over. Here well dressed men will wear knee length shorts or pants. However.....what I mean about big shoes are that tennis shoes look clumsy with 3/4 pants.

Castafiore
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
PamV,

I can't speak for the US but there's no such thing as one European viewpoint on these matters so, it's not really possible to give the one European viewpoint on metrosexuality IMO.
Like I said before, I live in a country where the hot southern culture clashes with the cooler northern culture.
In the southern culture, it's quite normal for a man to kiss another man on the cheek as a form of greeting without it having sexual undertones. In the same way, it's quite normal to wrap your arms around the shoulder of another man if you're having a good conversation.
In the northern culture, there's more distance between men. When a man greets another man...they do that by shaking hands. Anything else leads to gossip,...
People used to the southern culture (and even within that culture, there are many subcultures) like to touch people: touch your arm for example when they want to draw your attention whereas, in the cooler cultures, some men even get uncomfortable when a man touches their arm. :rolleyes:

In general, I think that Europeans have broken down the man/woman clichés a bit more (but I could have the wrong impression) but there are many different cultures that influence a viewpoint.

Like Saumon says, those 3/4 pants are quite normal here and they come in all sizes and shapes (a clean, tight cut or baggy or...).

So, to get back to the tennis player we're talking about: I think that the pirate pants look good on Rafa: you get a good look at those thighs (because the pants are not too baggy) + a great view from behind. ;)

victory1
08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
No wonder the gay guys love him, he spends so much time digging his cheese, they probably wan't to help him! :p That will only attract guys not girls, digging back there! :D

blosson
08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I already told Rafa to buy his g-strings a couple of sizes bigger but he doesn't listen

JuchuPati
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I already told Rafa to buy his g-strings a couple of sizes bigger but he doesn't listen

jaaaaaaajajajaa :bigclap:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
the capri's are not half as dumb as blacks who wear their oversized trousers starting at their thighs.

delsa
08-22-2005, 05:14 PM
the capri's are not half as dumb as blacks who wear their oversized trousers starting at their thighs.
It's the basketball fans who do that. They aren't necessarely black... :rolleyes:

PamV
08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
PamV,

I can't speak for the US but there's no such thing as one European viewpoint on these matters so, it's not really possible to give the one European viewpoint on metrosexuality IMO.
Like I said before, I live in a country where the hot southern culture clashes with the cooler northern culture.
In the southern culture, it's quite normal for a man to kiss another man on the cheek as a form of greeting without it having sexual undertones. In the same way, it's quite normal to wrap your arms around the shoulder of another man if you're having a good conversation.
In the northern culture, there's more distance between men. When a man greets another man...they do that by shaking hands. Anything else leads to gossip,...
People used to the southern culture (and even within that culture, there are many subcultures) like to touch people: touch your arm for example when they want to draw your attention whereas, in the cooler cultures, some men even get uncomfortable when a man touches their arm. :rolleyes:

In general, I think that Europeans have broken down the man/woman clichés a bit more (but I could have the wrong impression) but there are many different cultures that influence a viewpoint.

Like Saumon says, those 3/4 pants are quite normal here and they come in all sizes and shapes (a clean, tight cut or baggy or...).

So, to get back to the tennis player we're talking about: I think that the pirate pants look good on Rafa: you get a good look at those thighs (because the pants are not too baggy) + a great view from behind. ;)

I still prefer to see tennis players wearing shorts that are knee length or up to mid thigh....depending on who's wearing them.

In every day life.....I would think that 3/4 pants or knee length shorts could look good if the guy is wearing leather sandals or leather slip on shoes. The big tennis shoe looks too bulky with 3/4 lenght pants.

What city are you from in Spain?

Castafiore
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
What city are you from in Spain?
Erm...none...I'm from Belgium...I've never even been in Spain.

I still prefer to see tennis players wearing shorts that are knee length or up to mid thigh....depending on who's wearing them.
Ah well, each their own taste + You've got to get used to the idea that men can look cool in those pants and some of them even look hot in them. :cool:

In every day life.....I would think that 3/4 pants or knee length shorts could look good if the guy is wearing leather sandals or leather slip on shoes. The big tennis shoe looks too bulky with 3/4 lenght pants.
leather sandals or slip on shoes? Yes, but most guys here do wear sport shoes underneath them in every day life but they wear these ultra low socks (you know the ones, the ones you don't see because they are as short as the top of the sport shoes).
http://www.tenniscompany.com/images/Socks/socks_newbalance_low-2pack_SK260.JPG
Maybe an idea for Rafa but then he won't get to fiddle with his socks all the time and I guess that he will miss doing that. ;)

RogiFan88
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM

Now I wish you'd define the entire meaning of Metrosexual because I thought it was more than just taking care of one's appearance. Isn't it also something like a man who doesn't feel the need to look masculine....and who might wear make up and worry about getting wrinkles?

Don't forget the makeup and cologne. :p

Feli, definitely metrosexual material -- he could easily be a male model -- far better than those fakey vacant models they have already -- Feli doesn't need to be "fakey" vacant, he is naturally -- the perfect look. ;)

PamV
08-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Erm...none...I'm from Belgium...I've never even been in Spain.

Oh, I though you posted about the difference between southern and northern Spain .... so I assumed.

Ah well, each their own taste + You've got to get used to the idea that men can look cool in those pants and some of them even look hot in them. :cool:

I don't think so. Everyone can have their own opinion. I wouldn't think that looks good just because someone else thinks so.

Clara Bow
08-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Oh, I though you posted about the difference between southern and northern Spain .... so I assumed.

She was actually speaking about the difference between northern Europe and southern Europe. :)

I wasn't too keen on the pirates initially, but I have gotten more used to them. (I do think the tighter ones look better though) And I have actually had a pirate sighting in Austin, Texas. There is this kid who I see riding his bike leisurely when I go out running a bit who has been prone to wear these black pirates weather permitting. And they rather suit him, surprisingly- and he isn't really the metrosexual type- more of the funky/artist/could-be-in-a-band type that we have here.

PamV
08-23-2005, 12:19 AM
She was actually speaking about the difference between northern Europe and southern Europe. :)

I wasn't too keen on the pirates initially, but I have gotten more used to them. (I do think the tighter ones look better though) And I have actually had a pirate sighting in Austin, Texas. There is this kid who I see riding his bike leisurely when I go out running a bit who has been prone to wear these black pirates weather permitting. And they rather suit him, surprisingly- and he isn't really the metrosexual type- more of the funky/artist/could-be-in-a-band type that we have here.

I usually decide right away whether I like a style or not and that's the end of it for me. I wouldn't care how many people I would see wearing the pirate pants. So far I haven't seen any where I live. I've seen thousands of guys wearing the low rider baggy pants falling off and I hate that and think it looks impractical and stupid. It wouldn't matter if Prince Albert started wearing them.....I would still have my own opinion.

I still think a knee length short is the most flattering style for a man's legs. Besides.....if it's hot why not wear shorts? What's the benefit of wearing pirate pants?

amierin
08-23-2005, 01:10 AM
I live in New York City and there were a lot of men wearing "pirates" this summer, whether in a cargo style with lots of pockets or plain, "capri" style. They were all races, all body types, (None built like American footballers though) and wore them with sneakers, sandals, and slip ons. They look good, and made the men look cool without being too preppy with knee length shorts or thug with jeans.

It's not a style for every man but it's nice to see men have fashion options without being labeled metrosexual, which is a pejorative term at least in NYC anyway.

BTW Rafa is not a metrosexual. He's too laid back in his personal choice of clothing and he doesn't look like he's been to a Clinique counter lately. :angel:

Geniey2g
08-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Too much time spent in the mirror, and not enough on the tennis court; hence his ranking :tape:

Geniey2g
08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
And Rafa's not Metrosexual, he's just sexual :o

Nikki♥
08-23-2005, 12:26 PM
I've found a genuine metrosexual!!!!! Look at Marat's GQ pics.

Carito_90
08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Rafa metrosexual? Uh... nope. More like Feli ;)

Though there IS a huge metrosexual wave in Spain right now, I can tell from what I've seen and what my brother, that lives there, told me. So it's not that much of a big deal for them and I think it's okay, as long as they feel good about it :shrug:

JuchuPati
08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Rafa metrosexual? Uh... nope. More like Feli ;)

Though there IS a huge metrosexual wave in Spain right now, I can tell from what I've seen and what my brother, that lives there, told me. So it's not that much of a big deal for them and I think it's okay, as long as they feel good about it :shrug:

ummm...I wonder where they are hiding :tape:

Carito_90
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Well my brother and his wife are living now in Alicante and they say they rarely see a man who is not completely waxed nowadays so... That's what I've been told at least.

PamV
08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Well my brother and his wife are living now in Alicante and they say they rarely see a man who is not completely waxed nowadays so... That's what I've been told at least.

Are they waxing their eyebrows too. How did this trend start? It sounds really sad. By the way, that term got started on the show "Sex in the City" but it was really a joke. In the US no guy is going to say he's a Metrosexual because it's beyond corny to say that.

mitalidas
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Are they waxing their eyebrows too. How did this trend start? It sounds really sad. By the way, that term got started on the show "Sex in the City" but it was really a joke. In the US no guy is going to say he's a Metrosexual because it's beyond corny to say that.

actually, it was started by a UK writer to describe David Beckham in the early 1990s.
much later used --before its overuse-- in Queer eye for the straight guy

EDIT: Sorry I meant early 2000s (Beckham was not an entity in the early 90s!)

PamV
08-23-2005, 05:02 PM
actually, it was started by a UK writer to describe David Beckham in the early 1990s.
much later used --before its overuse-- in Queer eye for the straight guy

Oh, I didn't know that. That would explain why it was a joke on "Sex in the City". I would have think even at it's initial use it was said jokingly.

Men with waxed eyebrows look horribly affected. There is one of those Gotti boys who waxes his eyebrows and that makes him look too effeminate.

Daniel
08-24-2005, 01:51 AM
I imagine Roger with waxed eyebrows :eek:

PamV
08-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Any guy with waxed eyebrows looks horrid. Thankfully Roger's eyebrows are perfect and don't need anything done to them.

star
08-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I think it depends on the eyebrows. If they are really furry unibrows... a little waxing can't hurt.

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 03:07 AM
anyone knows what happened with my "Is Mirka Pregnant thread?"

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 03:15 AM
I was looking for it too Alfonso
Oh sh*t.... maybe Amanda (admin) is enforcing the new policy

Skyward
08-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Mowgli can not be metrosexual.

MariaV
08-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Alfonso, I guess the 'discussion' got out of hand and Amanda deleted it. ;) It was amusing though I must say. :o

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
:sad: :tears: .. it was really fun how people went nuts :tape:

Geniey2g
08-24-2005, 01:40 PM
:sad: :tears: .. it was really fun how people went nuts :tape:
LOL! I was looking for it myself cause I didn't get a chance to read it- has it been deleted? :shrug:

Saumon
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
on some pictures last year it seemed he had done something to his eyebrows :shrug:

Saumon
08-24-2005, 01:48 PM
LOL! I was looking for it myself cause I didn't get a chance to read it- has it been deleted? :shrug:
i think so :crying2:

MariaV
08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
You missed some fun but well, you can live without it. ;) Oops, sorry, it certainly wasn't fun for some people. :o

The Pro
08-25-2005, 02:24 PM
No I was gonna read that thread!

When I saw her in the crowd I had the exact same thought.

I take it she's not preggers then? Cos in that case...

On topic, I wouldn't say Nadal was metro, but as aspect of being a metro is for a straight guy to show off his bod. Which Nadal does & then some.

alfonsojose
08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
:lol:

azinna
08-29-2005, 11:26 PM
I've found a genuine metrosexual!!!!! Look at Marat's GQ pics.

Rafa simply has the kind of raw sexuality (hard, muscled body) that is popular in certain gay circles. Nothing more. Look, even when lusting after a great bod, folks need to be precise with their adjectives. Rafa doesn't even come close to being Metro. Sleeveless shirt and 3/4 pants do not suffice.

Marat, however, is revealing himself a bit too concerned with his looks and image at the moment. What's with the hair and goatee, the increase in bling, the GQ posing and the "leaked" photo with his girl in between his thighs?

oneandonlyhsn
08-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Rafa simply has the kind of raw sexuality (hard, muscled body) that is popular in certain gay circles. Nothing more. Look, even when lusting after a great bod, folks need to be precise with their adjectives. Rafa doesn't even come close to being Metro. Sleeveless shirt and 3/4 pants do not suffice.

Marat, however, is revealing himself a bit too concerned with his looks and image at the moment. What's with the hair and goatee, the increase in bling, the GQ posing and the "leaked" photo with his girl in between his thighs?

Marat is just universal :drool: