ATP Player blog... Justin on McEnroe/Hingis/Anna K. (link on last page). [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Player blog... Justin on McEnroe/Hingis/Anna K. (link on last page).

Fee
08-22-2005, 01:46 AM
The good news: a pofessional player is going to write a real player's blog, in conjunction with Sports Illustrated.

The bad news (for some of you): It's Justin Gimelstob.

I'll post the link as soon as I get it, but it is due to be up later this week sometime. :D

Paul Banks
08-22-2005, 01:47 AM
That's cool. ;)

RodLo
08-22-2005, 01:48 AM
Hm.

cobalt60
08-22-2005, 01:49 AM
What? Justin? OMG too funny!

zethand
08-22-2005, 01:49 AM
I couldnt sleep

ae wowww
08-22-2005, 08:33 AM
The good news: a pofessional player is going to write a real player's blog, in conjunction with Sports Illustrated.

I'll post the link as soon as I get it, but it is due to be up later this week sometime. :D

:lol:

But joking aside, that's awesome :D! Can't wait!

Nikki♥
08-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Wow...terrific. :eek:

MariaV
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM

Wow, that's great. :) I liked his Wimbledon interviews. He said something like he might take up journalism.

Ferrero Forever
08-22-2005, 09:41 AM
i dunno whether to laugh or cry

Papakori
08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't really have an opinion of Justin, but I will be interested to read it!

~EMiLiTA~
08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
even if it is Justin, it's still interesting

flip_fan
08-22-2005, 10:51 AM
cool... mark use to do a journal back in 97' and 98', its pretty funny reading it now.
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj.htm - most of the entries are there, but the first 3 links werent typed properly.

October 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj10.htm
September 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj9.htm
August 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj8.htm

ae wowww
08-22-2005, 11:38 AM
A very interesting week long journal or so in September's ACE Magazine, by Judy Murray-Andy's mum :)

Whistleway
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
link please?

Turkeyballs Paco
08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
That's pretty cool. Justin seems like he's smart enough to make it interesting. Can you imagine a James Blake blog? It would go on, and on, and on, and on.... He'd spend all day typing that thing, and wouldn't have time to practice!

savesthedizzle
08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
:woohoo: Justin!

Fee
08-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Looks like it will be up on Friday. I just read a rough draft and I was nearly in tears. It's very funny (and of course it will be completely different by the time it's published).

Does anyone have any ideas for a name for his blog? PM me right away if you do. Thanks!

Whistleway
08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
cool... mark use to do a journal back in 97' and 98', its pretty funny reading it now.
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj.htm - most of the entries are there, but the first 3 links werent typed properly.

October 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj10.htm
September 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj9.htm
August 98: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/8832/mpj8.htm

:yeah:

savesthedizzle
08-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Looks like it will be up on Friday. I just read a rough draft and I was nearly in tears. It's very funny (and of course it will be completely different by the time it's published).

Does anyone have any ideas for a name for his blog? PM me right away if you do. Thanks!

Hmmm... a cool name? I will think on it and let you know if I come up with anything. :lol:

Action Jackson
08-23-2005, 08:47 AM
The GimelBlog.

ae wowww
08-23-2005, 09:54 AM
The GimelBlog.

:lol: Excellent stuff!

Action Jackson
08-23-2005, 09:56 AM
:lol: Excellent stuff!

I don't like the guy much, but the name is perfect for it.

Geniey2g
08-23-2005, 12:54 PM
The GimelBlog.
hey hey hey! Get out of my mind! :(
That was my idea :sad:

Fee
08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Well thanks, but it doesn't matter after all. Turns out SI didn't want a clever name for it (mine were This Just In or JustInSanity). Still planning to have it up on Friday, so I'll post the link when I get it.

And if you have any topics that you would like Justin to take a stab at, or get his opinions on, let me know and I will pass it on to him.

tennischick
08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
That's pretty cool. Justin seems like he's smart enough to make it interesting. Can you imagine a James Blake blog? It would go on, and on, and on, and on.... He'd spend all day typing that thing, and wouldn't have time to practice!
ha ha ha :lol: cruel but correct. ;)

Turkeyballs Paco
08-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Well thanks, but it doesn't matter after all. Turns out SI didn't want a clever name for it (mine were This Just In or JustInSanity). Still planning to have it up on Friday, so I'll post the link when I get it.

And if you have any topics that you would like Justin to take a stab at, or get his opinions on, let me know and I will pass it on to him.

If he can confirm Lleyton Hewitt's penis size, or happens to have any photos, that would be great. ;)

superpinkone37
08-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Justin! :banana:

Fee
08-26-2005, 06:32 PM
It's up now, here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/justin_gimelstob/08/25/nobody.safe/index.html

Rex
08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
thnks fee

alelysafina
08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
thanks so much fee! If you dont mind me asking, how do you know justin?

Edit: just read it, its good :yeah:

superpinkone37
08-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks Fee! :kiss:

Fee
08-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I've driven Justin at the San Jose tournament a number of times. That's how I know most of the players I know, they've been trapped in a car with me. :D

alfonsojose
08-26-2005, 07:17 PM
If he can confirm Lleyton Hewitt's penis size, or happens to have any photos, that would be great. ;)
:bounce: :bounce: I'd pay him to hide a camera for taking pics of half of the tour naked. i could pay him cash or .. whatever he wants. I mena, he's that bad :shrug: :drool:

Angle Queen
08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Excellent first effort from Justin. And SI went with Gimel's Blog...not too far off from GWH.

It's funny! I highly recommend reading it.

So true what he says about the women practicing...and their attire...and the hangers-on they have to "compete" with.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-26-2005, 07:33 PM
His first entry is ok. I guess he's got to watch what he says and can't be specifically catty about anyone in particular... I wonder who the beached whale is. :shrug:

Saumon
08-26-2005, 07:35 PM
So true what he says about the women practicing...and their attire...and the hangers-on they have to "compete" with.
yeah :lol: I noticed that guys always practice with each others and girls practice with their coach too :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
08-26-2005, 07:37 PM
:lol: at his first entry. I saw that at Wimby. Kiefer, Horna, Misha, Feña, everybody practicing together while Kutzie and Groenfeld i think where hitting wiht their coaches/partners in the next court :tape: :cat:

alfonsojose
08-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I've driven Justin at San Jose tournament a number of times. That's how I know most of the players I know, they've been trapped in a car with me. :D
And the car appears abandoned near some motel later ;) :devil:

Fee
08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that was the name SI first proposed to him and he wasn't real thrilled with it. I really don't think he's watching what he says, but there's no reason to name names in a coulmn like that. The 'beached whale' was just a general observation (but he might have been thinking of Chuck Gambill, eww). Trust me, if you've seen any of his quotes before, he's not afraid to speak his mind.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, that was the name SI first proposed to him and he wasn't real thrilled with it. I really don't think he's watching what he says, but there's no reason to name names in a coulmn like that. The 'beached whale' was just a general observation (but he might have been thinking of Chuck Gambill, eww). Trust me, if you've seen any of his quotes before, he's not afraid to speak his mind.

I hope he does speak his mind, that will make a great blog!

tennisgirl19
08-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks, that was great. I can't wait for more.

flip_fan
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
that was hilarious! lol, i love reading stuff like this! its gives more of an insight to the mayhem behind the scenes, very good effort i thought! :bigclap:

MariaV
08-26-2005, 11:06 PM
A great read indeed. :lol: Thanks for the link Fee!

Papakori
08-26-2005, 11:43 PM
wow, its good! I think I may be becoming a Justin fan

The Pro
08-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Does he go on about his upper class uprbringing :rolleyes:

Castafiore
08-27-2005, 10:20 AM
A bit too condescending towards the WTA players for my taste but it's still great to read!
Thanks....keep us posted about this, please.

Paul Banks
08-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Weak first entry. This is really uninteresting, superficial stuff.

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Fee.

Fee
08-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Weak first entry. This is really uninteresting, superficial stuff.

Okay, what would prefer to see? I'll pass it on.

oneandonlyhsn
08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Gimelstobb is already ruffling a few feathers

from Andrew.. at WTA

Gimelstob, Davenport exchange words

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
NEW YORK -- New York awakened to rain and Justin Gimelstob awakened to his blog on the Sports Illustrated Web site, in which he took a few potshots at the women's tennis tour.

"As dysfunctional as the men's tour is, the women's tour blows it away," wrote Gimelstob, who spent three days at Wimbledon amusing reporters with his opinions. "For example, it's impossible for there to be enough practice courts for men and women to share without some kind of bickering.

"It's insane. They literally would prefer to hit four on a court with their coach than two on a court with another player. They live in Bizarro World. However, one of the benefits of having the women around is the ever-increasing desire for each and every young sassy player trying to outdo or in this case, under-dress the next.

"My prediction: Pretty soon the WTA practice courts and maybe even the match courts will resemble a women's volleyball court, with bikinis being the only logical next step.

". . . But I'd like to recommend to players both female and male . . . if you resemble a beached whale, keep your gear on."

It wasn't long before at least one woman, world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, was taking a bit of a rip back at Gimelstob.

"I'm always curious what the fascination is about men having to judge women constantly. What they look like. What they wear. Who they hang out with.

". . . And men have this endless fascination with, and Justin especially, about just picking on everything about the body. And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time."

Raquel
08-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree with everything Lindsay said.

Nikki♥
08-29-2005, 04:09 PM
". . . But I'd like to recommend to players both female and male . . . if you resemble a beached whale, keep your gear on."

:haha:

Castafiore
08-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Lindsay :yeah:

Noelle
08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
A full article on the backlash can be found here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-opennotes29aug29,0,2344676.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis

Personally I found his first two articles interesting. :yeah: Lindsay has a point, but it IS his column.

gillian
08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
This will be fun reading during the USO.

Paul Banks
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay, what would prefer to see? I'll pass it on.

I would like to read more about him. His goals, his everyday life, how he deals with a match before, during and after. Something more personal.

Fee
09-02-2005, 07:57 AM
I think that subject is coming, to be honest, because I pretty much told him the same thing, to get inside his own head. Anyway, he's up to 5 columns now. I hope SI lets him keep writing after the USO ends, it could get really interesting if he keeps pissing people off.

kundalini
09-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Having just read the blog - all 5 entries, I think he has, at least to date, missed the opportunity to speak as a player. His subject matters are dull, obvious - hey the pretty girls get all the marketing cash - I think we knew that one already........

How about explaining what is going through his head when he is serving for the match?

What is it like when you have lost your last 4 matches?

What about "choking"?

What does it feel like to be in the zone?

Does he get nervous before a match? Excited?

What about playing with injuries?

Does he think he could be a top 30 player or is that way above his level?

What about playing to your strengths as against playing to your opponent's weaknesses?

What were his hopes for his career when it got going?

Are some matches won or lost even before they have started?

What is it like to play a long 5 set match?

As someone who watches a fair amount of tennis and has played a bit, it is fairly clear that the mental side of the game is very important. One player can control a match, be a set and a break up, then fall to pieces over a line call, over a missed smash, over a failure to put away a 0-40 lead.

Players like Gilles Muller for example, play brilliantly against Andy Roddick then can barely get the ball in play in their next match. What is going on there?

These are the sort of topics I would be more interested in. Surely Justin has experience of losing matches he should have won, of playing one fantastic match followed by a truly terrible one?

Fee
09-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Good ideas, can I have your permission to just copy and paste that into an email for him?

ae wowww
09-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Good work, Fee :yeah: I really enjoyed his entries so far, but agreed - some of those other sentiments would additionally be very interesting, although I'm sure JG will pace himself :D

Some funny quotes in there :lol:

Castafiore
09-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I think that he is missing a huge opportunity in this blog.

His first entry was condescending and had very little to do with tennis.
He said that he was planning to do a follow-up piece with some good comments about WTA players. :scratch:
Couldn't he have started with the good comments and follow that up with some funny comments on outfits (or whatever?)
His comments that many of the WTA players don't like to practice against each other was an interesting one but he went over-the-top with the comments on looks (beached whale,...)
He then had to do some damage control in other episodes of his blog and the thing is: he's only making things worse IMO. His last episode is another missed opportunity. Come on, man...start talking about more interesting things please. You're a professional tennis player...give us some insightful comments.

This for example is a weak argument in my opinion:
I have one thing to say to all of them, and anyone else who has a problem with what I wrote: Take it up with human nature, not me. :rolleyes: Blame his bluntness on human nature?

No doubt that he's a good guy deep down but he underestimated a couple of things.
Lindsay Davenport's reaction in her press conference yesterday:
Q. Justin did follow up and he said he didn't understand the position that you took that men are preoccupied with the appearance of women. Any comments about that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I mean, the funny thing is he's one of my closest friends. We've been on vacation like four times in the last two years together, we practice together. He knows the different stances that we all take. We obviously have conversations about it. His quote to me was that all men are like him; he just expresses it. I said I have higher hope for men than that (laughing). I don't believe that they're all that bad. So, you know, it's just a philosophical difference, but it wasn't really, you know ‑‑ we believe different things, that's all.

Q. His position was that all men are naturally drawn to beautiful women.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: All men are like what he said in the article. And I said, "You can't really represent all men." He said "I do." So then I just said okay, walked away (smiling).

alfonsojose
09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Final question to Davenport on this subject: "What about Justin's body?"

She replied: "Yeah, really. I asked him if he wanted me to get into that. He said no."

Lindsay :devil: :yeah: that's why i like her so much. No weird clothes, no expensive earrings. Her words and actions stand for her :bowdown:

kundalini
09-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Good ideas, can I have your permission to just copy and paste that into an email for him?

Assuming that was referring to me - sure.

Fee
09-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, I was, thanks.

As for Justin's body, I'll let him speak for himself, from his Wimbledon interview (roughly): 'You can just take one look at me and see that there is no anabolic-ness there.'

The blog is evolving, and I think it will get better, especially now that he's only got a mixed doubles match to play and he has to hit the road in about a week for Beijing. If SI lets him keep doing it, it could get interesting.

The Pro
09-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I love how Lindsay is handling this. She's not getting on her soapbox and throwing a wobbler. She's just quietly, with minimum effort, exposing his opinions as the sexist nonsense that they are.

He may indeed have made some valid observations about the lack of camaraderie between the women, but at the end of the day it would seem his comments come from either sexism or a biased, immature mind.

Either way, she wins.

ae wowww
09-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah good on Lindsay. Love her ;)

Fee
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, judging by the number of discussions about James Blake's girlfriend on this and other tennis boards, I would say that Justin has been proven correct. I don't see the sexism in his first column. He made observations about the behavior he has witnessed, and if you've ever been to the practice courts at Indian Wells you know that many of the WTA players wear less material there than you would need to make 2 decent size dinner napkins. To me, Lindsay's comments sound like she didn't even read the column. I just wish the rest of his columns were as interesting as his first one, they've kind of slacked off since then.

Fee
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Justin has a new entry up today, and I think its worth a read. Its a little bit more personal than the previous entries. Also, there is now a feedback form on his columns, so feel free to write to him and tell him what you think and what you'd like to see him discuss. Those forms do get forwarded to him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/justin_gimelstob/archive/index.html

star
09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Having just read the blog - all 5 entries, I think he has, at least to date, missed the opportunity to speak as a player. His subject matters are dull, obvious - hey the pretty girls get all the marketing cash - I think we knew that one already........

How about explaining what is going through his head when he is serving for the match?

What is it like when you have lost your last 4 matches?

What about "choking"?

What does it feel like to be in the zone?

Does he get nervous before a match? Excited?

What about playing with injuries?

Does he think he could be a top 30 player or is that way above his level?

What about playing to your strengths as against playing to your opponent's weaknesses?

What were his hopes for his career when it got going?

Are some matches won or lost even before they have started?

What is it like to play a long 5 set match?

As someone who watches a fair amount of tennis and has played a bit, it is fairly clear that the mental side of the game is very important. One player can control a match, be a set and a break up, then fall to pieces over a line call, over a missed smash, over a failure to put away a 0-40 lead.

Players like Gilles Muller for example, play brilliantly against Andy Roddick then can barely get the ball in play in their next match. What is going on there?

These are the sort of topics I would be more interested in. Surely Justin has experience of losing matches he should have won, of playing one fantastic match followed by a truly terrible one?

Great post!!! :yeah:

Fee
12-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Since everyone seems so bored these days, thought I'd prod you into reading Justin's latest blog entry and his thoughts on the return of Hingis, McEnroe, and possibly Kournikova. SI specifically asked him to write on this topic, so off he went...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/justin_gimelstob/12/22/comebacks/index.html

buddyholly
12-24-2005, 02:36 AM
I think that subject is coming, to be honest, because I pretty much told him the same thing, to get inside his own head. Anyway, he's up to 5 columns now. I hope SI lets him keep writing after the USO ends, it could get really interesting if he keeps pissing people off.

Well it seems he got inside his own head and what he found there was a jealousy of women players that make more in a day than he makes in a year.