how many titles will Roger have by the end of 2005? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

how many titles will Roger have by the end of 2005?

megadeth
08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
how many titles will roger have by the end of the year? these are the events scheduled for him - USO, Thailand, TMS Madrid, Basel, TMS Paris, TMC Shanghai

a. 10 titles
b. 11
c. 12
d. 13
e. 14
f. 15

i personally think he'll have around 13 titles by season's end. winning USO, thaland, Basel, and TMC.

he'll probably withdraw from a TMS event

PamV
08-22-2005, 12:39 AM
I don't think he's going to withdraw from Paris and Madrid because those are on carpet and would be nice chances for him to set a record number of TMS wins in one year. If he were to win the USOpen, I think he would still try to win at least one more TMS. He will certainly try to win the TMC.

Regenbogen
08-22-2005, 12:55 AM
i'd say 13 too

megadeth
08-22-2005, 01:27 AM
last year, he had to withdraw from paris and madrid. so it'll be interesting to see if he'll have scheduling problems. the way i see it, he booked himself tight at the very end. around 4-5 weeks straight of tennis.

madrid-basel-paris-shanghai.

so, i think, he'll either skip basel or paris to save himself for shanghai

mitalidas
08-22-2005, 01:38 AM
I don't think he's going to withdraw from Paris and Madrid because those are on carpet

madrid is a hc tournament

cleverdutchclogs
08-22-2005, 03:05 AM
15, I'd say. Can't see him withdrawing from any as he seems to have come through all his injury problems.

lucashg
08-22-2005, 03:31 AM
At the end, I still think he'll withdraw from Madrid or Paris (most likely). As he's likely to go deep in every tournament, it's hard to think he'll play Madrid, Basel, Paris and Shanghai back to back without one single week of rest.

He has 9 titles already, so I'll say he'll beat his personal record of 11. 13 seems reasonable, assuming he doesn't get injured and continues on-form (more Wimbledon like than Cincinnati).

lucashg
08-22-2005, 03:35 AM
15, I'd say. Can't see him withdrawing from any as he seems to have come through all his injury problems.

Even if he doesn't have any problems with injury for the rest of the year, isn't asking too much for him to stay unbeatable 'til then? Personally, I don't think he can win Madrid, Basel, Paris and Shanghai back-to-back. Better withdraw from Paris and have a rest for the TMC. That is, if he goes deep in the first two events.

Not to mention that he has the US Open ahead of him to defend. He's the main favorite, but it's not gonna be easy. Bangkok should be easier to defend, and I think he'll win there.

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 03:43 AM
11 or 12. If he wins the USO, he won't have the necessary impetus i.e. a right-behind-him Nadal to win more TMS events. Thsi is of course assuming that Nadal doesn't win the USO himself or gets to the final. If Nadal does to either one, he is very much in the race for #1 year end ranking. I do think he will win Basel, TMC and probably the USO.

cleverdutchclogs
08-22-2005, 03:48 AM
If Nadal does to either one, he is very much in the race for #1 year end ranking.

Nadal has never been in the race. Players who win 22 straight finals (Federer) are in a class of their own! Federer will only get stronger.

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 05:07 AM
^Of course, but I'm speaking hypothetically. Nadal wins the USO or gets to the final, and one of Madrid or Paris while having a strong showing in both and wins the TMC, he could possibly be #1 by year's end.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 05:20 AM
in this situation, i think roger's best move would be to skip basel even if it's his country's tourney.

it would be good to go to madrid, then rest to prepare for 2 straight weeks in paris and shanghai...

it's an awful lot hard to win 4 weeks straight! last time he did that was last year when he won halle-wimbledon-gstaad in a 4week span.. he then took a rest and won montreal...

Fedex
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I'd say 11-12, maybe 13.

Doris Loeffel
08-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Well if he's going to skip a tournament I thik it might be Bankok - he for sure will play Basel unless he's injured again (keep the fingers crossed that won't happen!!) and then there's a week between Paris and Shanghai

I hope he's going to win USO, Basel and TMC

Art&Soul
08-22-2005, 10:41 AM
I say 13-14, maybe 14 @}-----------------------

Puschkin
08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Well if he's going to skip a tournament I thik it might be Bankok - he for sure will play Basel unless he's injured again

I agree, my feeling is he will never "skip" Basel unless forced by a real injury. I also feel that he'd crave winning Basel more than Madrid/Paris, it is his home-tourney, he was a ball-boy there and :eek: he has to prove something there.
If he indeed skips a tourney, it will much more likely be Madrid, Paris or Bangkok.

As for the question posed: I really don't know. He has already done so much better than I could imagine :worship: .

Cervantes
08-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I think he's gonna skip Paris, so he'll play another 5 tournaments, which could lead him to a possible 14 titles. Assuming he's not invincible, I'm gonna go with 13 titles :)

Deivid23
08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
^Of course, but I'm speaking hypothetically. Nadal wins the USO or gets to the final, and one of Madrid or Paris while having a strong showing in both and wins the TMC, he could possibly be #1 by year's end.

You can relax. Nadal won´t win in Madrid/Paris/TMC

Puschkin
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
You can relax. Nadal won´t win in Madrid/Paris/TMC

Nadal is high on my list for Madrid, though.

Deivid23
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Nadal is high on my list for Madrid, though.

Yeah, I think he´s also in many people´s list and I like that, not in mine though

David Kenzie
08-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't think he'll skip Paris this year. He already skipped it last year and as someone said he might want to increase his record of Masters Series titles in one year. If he is to skip one it should be Basel.
Also Paris and the TMC are not back to back, there are 6 days rest between them.

1sun
08-22-2005, 02:23 PM
he will definately not skip basel. alot depends on nadal, if roger wins the us and nadal loses early then roger pretty much has the no1 spot till the end of the season. but if nadal wins the us or goes deep, he'll up rogers arse or even ahead so roger may be forced to play as many tournies as possible to keep the no1 spot.
i think he will put out of bank, especialy if he goes deep in the us, he then has dc so would have played alot of tennis. plus he only has one optional left, assuming he wins basel there would have been no point in playing bank. but i herd hes gettin $400,000 appearance money for bank so that may tempt him.
if he has the no1 spot sown up b4 the TMS, he will likely pul out of one.
i say he will end with 11 hopefuly 12 titles.(us, MC, and basel)hopefuly anyway.

Verve
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd say he'll go one better than his current record: 12! Would be awesome already :worship:

RogiFan88
08-22-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't think he'll skip Paris this year. He already skipped it last year and as someone said he might want to increase his record of Masters Series titles in one year. If he is to skip one it should be Basel.
Also Paris and the TMC are not back to back, there are 6 days rest between them.

Rest? What rest? He's playing his sentimental fave tourney in betw.: BASEL.

Corey Feldman
08-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I also think roger will WD from one of the Madrid/Basel/paris events...thats 3 straight weeks of playing and im not sure he wants that thesedays, but 2 TMS events and basel (his hometown event and a title he'd love) so who knows
his record in Madrid/Paris isnt great either, by his standards.. but he defends zero points from these 2 as he didnt play them in 2004 so he'd probably be more determind to play this time..

David Kenzie
08-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Rest? What rest? He's playing his sentimental fave tourney in betw.: BASEL.
Basel is between Madrid and Paris. The TMC starts 6 days after the final of Paris.

RogiFan88
08-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes, that's correct -- I think Rogi s pull out of Paris as he's already committed to Madrid.