Roger Federer has won all the big hardcourt titles now. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer has won all the big hardcourt titles now.

Dirk
08-21-2005, 06:43 PM
He joins Andre as the only player to win all the outdoor hardcourt masters and the two hardcourt slams. Discuss. :worship:

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Incredible
But then what about this guy's wins, stats, game and demeanor are not incredible :worship:

disturb3d
08-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Roger is gonna erase all evidence that Andre was the best player of time.

sharpeirob
08-21-2005, 06:45 PM
quite amazing , is this streak of finals the longest?

1sun
08-21-2005, 06:46 PM
the stats and records just keep coming. good man rog

victory1
He joins Andre as the only player to win all the outdoor hardcourt masters and the two hardcourt slams. Discuss. :worship:

That's why I was excited about this win, after last year performance I was in doubt that he would ever win Cincy. This complete the picture, both slams and all the master series on HC. :worship:

PamV
Incredible
But then what about this guy's wins, stats, game and demeanor are not incredible :worship:

Hard to say which aspect is more incredible the wins, the game, the demeanor? There's also the incredible wavy hair and deep brown eyes to think about.

1sun
yes. hes nearly doubled the record of 12 by borg and mcenroe

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 06:47 PM

it is a record and I want to go out on a limb and say it is not beatable
But I used to think that about Pete's 14 slam record and I don't know anymore if I can believe that that's not beatable

bandabou
08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
amazing...and only 24!!

Tennis Fool
08-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Pete didn't do this?

Also, what Masters hasnt Fed yet won?

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 06:50 PM
When I think of impressive things about Federer, that spidery mess on the top of his head is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Only one other player has won all the outdoor hard TMS events besides Agassi and Federer, and that is the Changster. He was a finalist at both hardcourt Slams, in the same year no less, but couldn't deliver on either occasion. I think Federer was only able to win here because of his post-Wimbledon break; yes, Roddick won in Canada and Cincy back to back two years ago, as Rafter did in 98 and Agassi in 95, but I remember how much Roger complained about the scheduling of these two events back in 2003 when he came here on the back of that tough loss to Roddick.

nobama
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Pete didn't do this?

Also, what Masters hasnt Fed yet won?Paris, Madrid, Rome and Monte Carlo I think.

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Pete didn't do this?

Also, what Masters hasnt Fed yet won?

Never won in Canada - in fact, did he ever reach the final there? I'm not sure.

Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid, Paris. Notice a pattern there? I'll start a thread about it in the Federer forum...

nobama
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
All Roger needs to do is get into the finals, then it's over. He can play like shit all week but come Sunday we see a different player out there. And he knows all that matters at the end of the day is winning the title, not really how you played along the way.

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 06:55 PM

Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid, Paris. Notice a pattern there? I'll start a thread about it in the Federer forum...

Im very hopeful about the Paris masters this year
He;s lost to henman and hewitt in the past, both of whom were among the few who had his number in the past

federerfan7465
08-21-2005, 06:56 PM
he won in Canada- last year Toronto- Beat Roddick in the final

victory1
08-21-2005, 06:56 PM

He was the defending champion to the Rogers Cup, the one that nadal just won, so yes he has won in Canada! :p

Ginger
08-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Roger still has to win the AMS Canada in Montreal... :)

mitalidas
He was the defending champion to the Rogers Cup, the one that nadal just won, so yes he has won in Canada! :p

that comment was about pete

lorry86
They are referring to Sampras never having won Canada.

nobama
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Roger still has to win the AMS Canada in Montreal... :)Um, sorry he did that last year, beat Andy in the finals. I know it was Toronto, but same tournament. :)

PamV
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM

You know the AMS Canada Toronto is the same tournament.

victory1
08-21-2005, 07:02 PM

He's been there and done that! ;)

Ginger
08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
You know the AMS Canada Toronto is the same tournament.
I want to see his name as a winner each time I go on the site of the tournament in Montreal... :) For the moment, Roger's name is not there...

victory1
08-21-2005, 07:17 PM
I want to see his name as a winner each time I go on the site of the tournament in Montreal... :) For the moment, Roger's name is not there...

Impossible, since he chose to skip it this year. He needed a break from the tour, he said so himself during his winning speech in Cincy. ;)

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Im very hopeful about the Paris masters this year
He;s lost to henman and hewitt in the past, both of whom were among the few who had his number in the past

True. It's amazing to look back on that now, his loss to Henman in Paris was almost the end of his "first career". He had been suffering from a back injury, he was in mediocre form for the rest of the year post-Wimbledon, he said after the defeat, "This gives me no confidence whatsoever for Houston".... and the rest is history.

Guess which other player has defeated Federer in Paris? A clue: he's likely to be the answer to a tennis trivia question in future, considering Federer has now won 22 finals in a row.

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 07:23 PM
True. It's amazing to look back on that now, his loss to Henman in Paris was almost the end of his "first career". He had been suffering from a back injury, he was in mediocre form for the rest of the year post-Wimbledon, he said after the defeat, "This gives me no confidence whatsoever for Houston".... and the rest is history.

Guess which other player has defeated Federer in Paris? A clue: he's likely to be the answer to a tennis trivia question in future, considering Federer has now won 22 finals in a row.

ferrero? guga? novak? agassi?
EDIT: novak
because he was the last one to beat him in the finals

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Yep - he had a 3-1 record against Federer at one stage, though most of those were when the latter was a teenager, and then they met four times from 2002-03, three of them being finals on three different surfaces. I'm pretty sure the only players Federer has played more are Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi and Henman.

LLeytonRules
08-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I think he has an excellent shot at Madrid, didnt he say that Carpet was one of his favorite surfaces? He can play in any.

Mrs. B
08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
now go win Basel, Roja!

victory1
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I think he will win at least 1 more master series this year if he plays them! Federer will probably skip them if he wins the US Open, but I hope he does play them either way.

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I think he will win at least 1 more master series this year if he plays them! Federer will probably skip them if he wins the US Open, but I hope he does play them either way.

Not this year. It is his primary goal now to finish #1. He knows that he cannot afford to not play, because nadal has a shot in catching up. He is definitely going to play (barring injury) and he said as much at one of his interviews during cincy --mentioned paris indoors in particular

lucashg
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I think he has an excellent shot at Madrid, didnt he say that Carpet was one of his favorite surfaces? He can play in any.

Isn't Madrid hard indoors and Paris it's actually the one that's played on carpet?

Well, I find it hard to win Madrid and Paris back-to-back because he plays Basel in the week of rest between the two. I hope he's able to win both in a matter of a couple of seasons, and I think he can do it. Safin seems to be the best player on that surface, but I believe in Roger's chances. If indeed he plays them this year, hard to imagine he won't win at least one of them.

And Federer continues to impress with his records and mentality. He played so crappy during this whole week and was still able to put up a good performance to defeat a red-hot Andy (at least from his previous match) in straight sets. Now he has won 4 AMS titles, a new personal record, and there's still 2 left to go. I think this will give him enough confidence for a very possible defense of the US Open.

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
paris is indoor (carpet), madrid is hard (not clay as many people seem to think because its played in spain)

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Now he has won 4 AMS titles, a new personal record, and there's still 2 left to go.
Its a tour record I think-- first person to win 4 in one season
It can improve of course, because there are some more

Federer Federer nadal Nadal Federer nadal Federer is how the masters have played out so far

NYCtennisfan
08-21-2005, 08:28 PM
4 TMS in one year, 20 titles over 2 years (only MAC, connors, Nastase and Lendl have done that), 27 titles over 3 years, 64-3 this year, 95-5 in his last 100 matches.....

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
95-5 in his last 100 matches.....

that is just sick! almost as sick as 22 consecutive finals won

revolution
08-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Stunningly impressive achievement, and well deserved too.

Just the clay and the indoors to conquer now.

Satanic Pasteur
08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Since his loss to Berdych one year ago he has a record of 80-3 (Mcenroe was 82-3 in 1984 absolute record I think for a calendar year).

jtipson
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM

I'd expect him to play Bercy this year, as it will be a good warm-up for Shanghai, which will be played on the same surface. Whether he plays in Madrid will probably depend on what happens at the US Open, as you say. If he wins that and Nadal loses early, then he's got number one almost sewn up and perhaps can afford to skip it.

Dirk
08-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Roger must play Madrid. He can pull out of Thailand.

1sun
08-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Roger must play Madrid. He can pull out of Thailand.
yeh i want him to pul out of bank too. but i herd he is getting a big sum for playing so that may tempt him to play.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 01:32 AM

that can only happen when:

1. roger finally wins FO
2. he wins at the olympics
3. wins davis cup for his team
4. surpasses andre's career titles number
5. and achieves being the oldest player to be ranked number 1

if he stays healthy and focused, roger can achieve this in due time...

mitalidas
08-22-2005, 01:34 AM
that can only happen when:

1. roger finally wins FO
2. he wins at the olympics
3. wins davis cup for his team
4. surpasses andre's career titles number
5. and achieves being the oldest player to be ranked number 1

and surpasses andre's record of 101 weeks at #1 (Roger is at 82 starting next week, and can do this if he goes #1 through early Jan 2006)

megadeth
08-22-2005, 04:51 AM
i also forgot to add that andre has 17 TMS, winning 7 out of 9...

roger might catch up through the years, having 8 TMS, 5 out of 9

Art&Soul
08-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Incredible ROGI, keep it going :worship: :worship: :worship:

RonE
08-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Incredible achievement :worship:

But Dirk, Madrid is also hard (granted, INDOOR hard but still ;) ) so to claim that title he has to win there.

Correct, Pete never won in Canada but did reach the final there once in 1995 losing a tough three-setter to Agassi.

Dirk
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Indoor hard is very different from outdoor hard. They are not the same thing. Roger's accomplishment stands. :)

Whistleway
08-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Yep - he had a 3-1 record against Federer at one stage, though most of those were when the latter was a teenager, and then they met four times from 2002-03, three of them being finals on three different surfaces. I'm pretty sure the only players Federer has played more are Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi and Henman.

Sjengster :yeah:

Daniel
08-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Roger :worship: :worship:

oz_boz
08-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Federer always easy draw. If play him opponents, I win also.

Dirk
08-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Federer always easy draw. If play him opponents, I win also.

Sweden's Alexito ladies and gentlemen.

Sjengster
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Sweden's mock-Alexito, I think Dirk.

skel1983
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Even though we all know how good Roger is, to beat Sampras GS record is going to be very very difficult, i mean tennis is such a hard sport to stay at the top witht the amount of event's and competitors, i mean for me is only real hope is of he wins Wimbledon for the next five or six years ala Sampras, because on the hard court's and the red clay he is obviously going to be going in favourite for the near future anyway, but as we have seen at AO and FO he is no cert as there any many players capable of beating him. I am a betting man and i wouldn't bet on Roger beating Sampras's record, anything could happen he would need to stay healthy for at least the next five years to have any shot, my prediction would be another 4 or five GS top's.

oz_boz
08-24-2005, 03:42 PM

But probably not the evidence that either Borg, Sampras or Laver was the best tennis player of all time. ;)

oz_boz
08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Sweden's mock-Alexito, I think Dirk.

I felt something was missing before this Fed-praising thread was complete, hence the addition.

skel1983
08-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I would love to know when was Agassi the best of all time???????

he has never been and never will be lol to Andre, but he is no way near the best of all time.