:worship:

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
how did Andy react??
similar to wimbly??

congra to Roger, he can lengthen the gap a bit between him and Nadal finally

onewoman74
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
good win FED!! Time to defend your US Open title!!!

darnyelb
08-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Go Fed man! Congrats!

Only saw the last 3 games, but how did they both play overall?

4th Masters title this year... wow.

El Legenda
how did Andy react??
similar to wimbly??

congra to Roger, he can lengthen the gap a bit between him and Nadal finally

Andy didnt really react much....i think he was more worried about his foot, after the injury time out.

mitalidas
it is 10 and 6 straight
4 wins, 1 loss, 6 wins ;)

Tennis Fool
Who the hell is Jesse McCartney?

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Go Fed man! Congrats!

Only saw the last 3 games, but how did they both play overall?

4th Masters title this year... wow.

Roger played at his usual standard. His standard is back
andy played his own standard -- leaned on his aces,w hich did not work out, volleyed REALLY BADLY

Breakaway
08-21-2005, 06:57 PM

He is an actor (Summerland) and singer. :)

Billabong
08-21-2005, 06:57 PM
YEAH Well done Fed, congratulations man:banana: Awesome win, and you deserved it:worship: Now continue that great play for the US Open:banana:!!!!!!!!!!!!

FED YOU ROCK:woohoo:!!!!!!!!!

Breakaway
08-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Congrats Roger! Clearly the best.

oneandonlyhsn
Roger great performance especially after his earlier performances

Roger returned Roddicks serves so low and didnt give Andy much room to work with.

I hope Andy is okay, I thought I heard the trainer say Plantar fas.. whatever Roger has :scared: get better Andy

onewoman74

no one important..unless your a teenybopper :rolleyes:

DanEd
pretty boring final :zzz:

this was another routine win for fed

Raquel
Well done Roger. Some of those forehand down the line winners were just amazing. And the 4 points in a row he won when Roddick led *3-2 30-0 was classic Roger and the main turning point. After a few rusty matches this week, he produced some of his best yet again. 22 consecutive finals won, only person to win 4 Masters Series in 1 season :worship:

Castafiore
Congratulations, Federer! :)

Andy...come on, man. :sad: This is getting painful. Start believing!

Corey Feldman
Great week roger :yeah:
first player ever to win 4 TMS titles in one season :bounce:

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 06:59 PM
at first i thought Andy can really put Roger to the edge this time as he played so well throughout the week or so (at least better than Roger in my opinion)

what really impressed me was Andy's volley, he played serve & volley throughout this week to perfection

his volley obviously improved a lot

he could win wimbly in sometime, maybe when master Roger doesn't play :P

savesthedizzle
08-21-2005, 06:59 PM

I am ashamed to even know. But he was on All My Children when he was like 10 and then joined the adolescent boyband DreamStreet. Since then he's had a solo singing career on the kid stations like Radio Disney and recently was in the WB television show Summerland which all of a sudden put him on Top 40 radio stations. The new teen heartthrob and all that jazz.

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Great week roger :yeah:
first player ever to win 4 TMS titles in one season :bounce:
maybe more to come this year :P

Carlita
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
:bigclap: go Roger! :D

TheBoiledEgg
08-21-2005, 07:02 PM
it was never in doubt ;)

Roger :worship:

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
4 in a year! :woohoo: :aparty:

I haven't seen the match yet, but it's great to hear that he played to his usual, high standard in the final. That's what I was hoping for, what I was waiting for all week, and now he produced it when it mattered most.

These reports of foot problems for Roddick... Andy, please get better soon. I may not be anything close to a fan of his, but the last thing we need is another injury at the top of the game.

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
what did Andy say in the ceremony?

did he say something funny or interesting again? :D

nermo
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Congratualtions Fed,.. :bigclap:

Guys..any news what went wrong with Andy??

wcr
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
what did Andy say in the ceremony?

did he say something funny or interesting again? :D

A few things but the one that comes to mind was wishing his father happy birthday at 173 years old. And, after today's match he's 186 years old.

onewoman74
08-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Quote of the week...Fed during the trophy presentation...

Fed says, "He likes playing Andy...not just because he wins"!!!

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 07:08 PM
A few things but the one that comes to mind was wishing his father happy birthday at 173 years old. And, after today's match he's 186 years old.
what's the meaning of it?? :confused:

howardean
08-21-2005, 07:08 PM
roger said "i always enjoy playing against andy...and not just because i win" and then he patted him on the back. so funny!! :-)

Dirk
08-21-2005, 07:10 PM

I haven't seen the match yet, but it's great to hear that he played to his usual, high standard in the final. That's what I was hoping for, what I was waiting for all week, and now he produced it when it mattered most.

These reports of foot problems for Roddick... Andy, please get better soon. I may not be anything close to a fan of his, but the last thing we need is another injury at the top of the game.

Roger played well. It was not near his Wimbly performance but he was more than good enough to win today. I think Andy's foot will be fine. He just maybe pulled a muscle in there or something.

croat123
08-21-2005, 07:10 PM
roger still didn't even play near his best and easily beat the duck.

Jennay
08-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Federer is so impressive - takes 6 weeks off then comes back and wins a Masters Series. :retard: Congratulations to him.

Andy, please stop coming to net so frequently when you're volleying like shit. ;)

onewoman74
08-21-2005, 07:12 PM
roger said "i always enjoy playing against andy...and not just because i win" and then he patted him on the back. so funny!! :-)

that was funny!! Andy had a "no u didn't look on his face", but he laughed w/ Fed.

Andy was funny also... he has a good sense of humor.

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Roger played well. It was not near his Wimbly performance but he was more than good enough to win today. I think Andy's foot will be fine. He just maybe pulled a muscle in there or something.
looking forward for another master roger in the Open

still remember that performance against hewitt..........impressive :worship: :worship:

azinna
08-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Good solid win for Federer.

Meanwhile, Andy is with every loss revealing fundamental Hewitt-like limitations in his game. Needs more than a fast serve and streaky forehand, and the truth is that he doesn't (yet) have more than that. We're seeing some changes and improvements, but he really has to get comfortable thinking, massaging a point, being aggressive at the right time, but also at the 1st opportunity. Also needs a Net Game, much better Defence and Groundstrokes that make it hard for Federer to tee off.

That's a lot of improvements to ask of any player. And it is in fact easier to ask Nadal to improve his serve and Safin to get more consistent....Oh well, Roddick just has to keep trying......

Tennis Fool
08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
He is an actor (Summerland) and singer. :)
Oh, I thought he was a new junior or something :o

Pea
08-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Roger!! Class above crass. :worship:

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 07:16 PM
did Andy volley well today?

i watched his match against hewitt and he volleyed really well, also the quarter final

thrust
08-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Andy needs a coach, how about John McEnroe? Perhaps he can teach Andy the art of the volley. It seems to me Andy^ game has gone slightly downhill since he let Gilbert go. Whatever, a new coach may help as improvement time for him is running out.

oneandonlyhsn
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Andy needs a coach, how about John McEnroe? Perhaps he can teach Andy the art of the volley. It seems to me Andy^ game has gone slightly downhill since he let Gilbert go. Whatever, a new coach may help as improvement time for him is running out.

:scratch: Really I think his game has improved, but we are talking about him playing Fed who realy made it hard for Andy to volley by keeping the returns low. Sure he can improve but I think his new coach is doing okay

victory1
08-21-2005, 07:20 PM

i watched his match against hewitt and he volleyed really well, also the quarter final

No, he kept coming in behind a 2nd serve and getting passed or missing the volley! :o

nobama
08-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Roger :worship: All that can be said is never on a Sunday. I like Andy's sense of humor though. The both seem like great guys who do like each other - even if they don't spend much time together.

Mary Carillo said that Tony Roche wasn't going to be with Roger until the TMC in Shanghai.

Rosa Luxembourg
well done, Roger! :kiss:

Now get Mirka back in shape ;)

Tennis Fool

He probably can volley Hewitt but wrong tactic for Fed. He overhit every shot. In fact, there's nothing he could do to penetrate Fed, except ace every point.

nobama
08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Didn't some people say that Fed needed to dump Roche after he lost in the semis at RG? And this week when Roger was playing like shit, PMac and Cliff were wondering why Roche wasn't here with Roger. :scratch: Andy's fine. He just has trobule with a certain player named Roger Federer. I think a lot of it is mental, he's beat before he even steps on the court. Same thing with Hewitt.

nobama
08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
well done, Roger! :kiss:

Now get Mirka back in shape ;)She's got a nice tan going, though.

1sun
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
another straight sets beatdown. and people actualy thought roddick might win :haha: roger wasnt at his best but still delivered a bitchslap.
i think roddick wants to catch up with hewitt, 6 straight loses, 12 straight sets. only 2 more loses and 3 more sets and your equal with rocky :yeah:
well done roger :bigclap:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Congrats to Roger, he makes a great champion. :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
excuse me but...*sighs* :zzz:

Tennis Fool
08-21-2005, 07:29 PM
It seems to me Andy^ game has gone slightly downhill since he let Gilbert go.
Andy (according to MaryC) had to take a few steps backward (undo some of what Gilbert taught???) in order to go forward. He said the steps were coming into play. Beating Hewitt with s/v seems like a step forward, but he will never rival Fed.

Tennis Fool
08-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rosa Luxembourg
well done, Roger!

Now get Mirka back in shape

She was beyond out of shape. What do they eat in Dubai?

PamV
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM

I actually think that his level in the SF and F were similar and the difference was only that Ginepri didn't miss as much as Roddick. Ginepri has quicker reflexes, volleys better and hits on the run better.

disturb3d
08-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I actually think that his level in the SF and F were similar and the difference was only that Ginepri didn't miss as much as Roddick. Ginepri has quicker reflexes, volleys better and hits on the run better.You mean he's a better player? Yeah, I agree.

Kip
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
roger still didn't even play near his best and easily beat the duck.

That's what I took away
from this match and entire week.

Roger wasn't any where near the Roger we know
yet and he still wins these matches w/o working
up too much of a sweat.

PamV
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM

No Andy didn't volley well today. I think his win over Hewitt was misleading. Hewitt was not playing with any sort of patience yesterday. He was trying to get points over too quick.

PamV
08-21-2005, 07:42 PM
You mean he's a better player? Yeah, I agree.

Ginepri did beat Roddick in Indy this year. I think Ginepri has a better ground game than Roddick and he's in much better shape. Ginepri's serve was giving Roger more trouble than Roddick's serve. However, that doesn't mean over time Ginepri would be as consistent as Roddick.

PamV
08-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Andy (according to MaryC) had to take a few steps backward (undo some of what Gilbert taught???) in order to go forward. He said the steps were coming into play. Beating Hewitt with s/v seems like a step forward, but he will never rival Fed.

I think once Hewitt's baby is born and he settles down with all of that he will be back to beating Roddick regularly.

yanchr
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Congrats Roger! Good performance despite the poor form throughout the whole tourney:yeah:

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 08:09 PM
No, he kept coming in behind a 2nd serve and getting passed or missing the volley! :o
that tactic works well against hewitt
but maybe andy was juz stucking with his game plan too stubbornly

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Didn't some people say that Fed needed to dump Roche after he lost in the semis at RG? And this week when Roger was playing like shit, PMac and Cliff were wondering why Roche wasn't here with Roger. :scratch: Andy's fine. He just has trobule with a certain player named Roger Federer. I think a lot of it is mental, he's beat before he even steps on the court. Same thing with Hewitt.
i think it's benefical for roger to have a full time coach
though he can manage to squeeze it thru most of the time when he's not playing his at his best

Fergie
08-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Congrats Rogi! :bounce:

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 08:14 PM
andy either does not have a Plan B, or apparently the courage to switch to a Plan B, to adjust if he needs to

sawan66278
08-21-2005, 08:24 PM
In my opinion, the ONLY real chance Andy has IS to serve and volley. He should take a little off his first serve, and come in...He HAS to work on his volleys...that is the problem...Fed can only usually only bunt back Roddick's first serve...If Andy can work on his net game, he has a shot...Fed neutralizes Andy's first serve by simply getting back into play...if Andy could volley decently (I haven't seen such poor volleying since Agassi or Lendl in the early 90's)....This is ONLY hope...because his ground game and footwork do not match up...

LLeytonRules
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
The duck tried to serve and volley, thats not his game, also Federer could hit passing shots all day.Again, its Federer and everybody else.

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Roger realized very early how insecure roddick is to volley against him, and so used every opportunity to draw him in (won all but 3 times)

Mrs. B
08-21-2005, 08:28 PM
erm, Andy got cheated by two points. A serve from Roger which was off the t line and called ace, and a ball that hit the tape on the baseline called out. :p

;)

auwkeung
08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
erm, Andy got cheated by two points. A serve from Roger which was off the t line and called ace, and a ball that hit the tape on the baseline called out. :p

;)
that's the game
hardly can blame on anyone

you gonna deal with it

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 08:37 PM

;)

I saw at least 3 serves by duckface which looked wide/long and were called aces. I remember writing on Roger's forum that they should be called blindsmen not linesmen
Overall it evened out. both had good/bad calls

Mrs. B
08-21-2005, 08:40 PM
that's the game
hardly can blame on anyone

you gonna deal with it

i don't have a problem with it. it favored my boy! :p

Tennis_Mad
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
The Fed Express just keeps on going....

:) :D

foul_dwimmerlaik
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Congrads to Roger. New-York is trembling.

Andy, punch him next time.

JBrocks
08-21-2005, 08:46 PM
congrats Roger

sawan66278
08-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I understand that volleying is not Andy's strength, but that is the only real shot he has...He could try to hit with a little more topspin and off-pace shots (like Ginepri)...but with his serve, he HAS to develop this part of his game...it is possible...look at Mats Wilander in 1987 and 1988...

Rex
08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
played roger, i thought he might lose to day- but he proved me wrong, which i like from roger. Well done.

cleverdutchclogs
08-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Don't forget, Federer also defeated Roddick 6-4 7-5 in the final of Kooyong this year! This effectively means that Federer has a 11-1 career head-to-head record against Roddick, has beaten him on the past seven times that have played (6 times in finals) and the only time Roddick won was 7-6 in the final set (Montreal, SF, 2003).

Merton
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Congratulations to Roger for his win and he was clearly the better player today. It is impressive how he is able to step up consistently in finals. Andy had an excellent tournament and he won 2 close, important matches. (Ferrero, Hewitt) He should be very excited and motivated for the U.S. Open.

Merton
08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
In my opinion, the ONLY real chance Andy has IS to serve and volley. He should take a little off his first serve, and come in...He HAS to work on his volleys...that is the problem...Fed can only usually only bunt back Roddick's first serve...If Andy can work on his net game, he has a shot...Fed neutralizes Andy's first serve by simply getting back into play...if Andy could volley decently (I haven't seen such poor volleying since Agassi or Lendl in the early 90's)....This is ONLY hope...because his ground game and footwork do not match up...

I think it is a mistake to serve and volley all the time because Roger sends back short balls keeping them low and making the volley hard. It is also a mistake to sit back on the baseline as Roger will just float balls back in play. Andy should try to mix, (on both serves) because when Roger keeps the ball short Andy has the chance of a forehand winner from the baseline and when he floats the ball he has an easy volley.

Merton
08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
I saw at least 3 serves by duckface which looked wide/long and were called aces. I remember writing on Roger's forum that they should be called blindsmen not linesmen
Overall it evened out. both had good/bad calls

Line calling was terrible the entire tournament. At least they were consistent in the final (they kept being terrible). Trully embarrasing for a masters series event.

darnyelb
08-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Oh, I thought he was a new junior or something :o

heh... no, but he did play a character by the name of Junior on All My Children.

and yeah, I'm pretty ashamed that I know that...

Pheobo
08-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Fed :worship:

bavaria100
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Congratulations Roger! :rocker: I really thought that Andy could win this time, but he stepped it up once again. Good luck for the US Open!

Sinnet
08-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Congrats to Federer.

I think it's when playing Federer that we all truly see why Andy Roddick will never have a shot at becoming the top player in men's tennis again, with OR WITHOUT Federer around. Andy Roddick doesn't think.

Andy served and volleyed extremely well last night against Hewitt -- he looked like he had been doing it all his life, and while Hewitt missed a lot of shots that he should have gotten over, a lot of it was just intimidation from Roddick being aggressive. It's good that he's trying that, however...

In today's final, Andy attempted serving and volleying early on and it was CLEARLY not working. It wasn't that Federer was even doing anything but getting the ball back (and low), Andy was missing easy volleys. He was completely goofing up any and all volleys, yet he would CONTINUE to venture to net, even on approaching shots that gave Roger PLENTY of time to line up any shot.

And it's not even that particular aspect that shows the lack of "thinking" on Andy's part... he doesn't adjust himself to match situations. It's as if he goes out there with ONE gameplan in his mind and if it doesn't work, he's sunk and he doesn't care. When a gameplan doesn't work and it's failing you miserably (uh, HELLO, wasn't he broken twice in that first set? A lot of it was due to his poor volleys) you don't continue on with it. ESPECIALLY not against someone like Roger Federer.

Andy Roddick's best bet at ever beating Federer is to use his weapons, which is power and athleticism. I've seen more than enough times where Andy will have Roger stretched out to his forehand side with the open court for Andy to blast a forehand winner, and Andy puts too much topsin on the ball, thus allowing Federer back in the point. The old Andy Roddick put the balls away -- he went for his shots -- he took some risks. He did NOTHING today to try to beat Federer. Federer didn't have to do anything but keep the ball in play and wait for Roddick to come to net so he could hit a hooked-angle passing shot (like always) and pass him.

I'm NOT basing the following statement on this tournament or today's match, however I truly do see, Andy Roddick falling to somewhere between 7-10 in the rankings within the next twelve months. His game just isn't flexible enough to consistently beat the big guys, and it's only a matter of time before all of the ATP players begin to realize that if you just bunt the return back against Roddick, you have a very good chance of winning the point.

Roger Federer will win the US Open this year, I'm calling it now. Good win, Rog. Sorry you had to be bored with a pathetic final with Andy again.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Congrats to Federer.

I think it's when playing Federer that we all truly see why Andy Roddick will never have a shot at becoming the top player in men's tennis again, with OR WITHOUT Federer around. Andy Roddick doesn't think.

Andy served and volleyed extremely well last night against Hewitt -- he looked like he had been doing it all his life, and while Hewitt missed a lot of shots that he should have gotten over, a lot of it was just intimidation from Roddick being aggressive. It's good that he's trying that, however...

In today's final, Andy attempted serving and volleying early on and it was CLEARLY not working. It wasn't that Federer was even doing anything but getting the ball back (and low), Andy was missing easy volleys. He was completely goofing up any and all volleys, yet he would CONTINUE to venture to net, even on approaching shots that gave Roger PLENTY of time to line up any shot.

And it's not even that particular aspect that shows the lack of "thinking" on Andy's part... he doesn't adjust himself to match situations. It's as if he goes out there with ONE gameplan in his mind and if it doesn't work, he's sunk and he doesn't care. When a gameplan doesn't work and it's failing you miserably (uh, HELLO, wasn't he broken twice in that first set? A lot of it was due to his poor volleys) you don't continue on with it. ESPECIALLY not against someone like Roger Federer.

Andy Roddick's best bet at ever beating Federer is to use his weapons, which is power and athleticism. I've seen more than enough times where Andy will have Roger stretched out to his forehand side with the open court for Andy to blast a forehand winner, and Andy puts too much topsin on the ball, thus allowing Federer back in the point. The old Andy Roddick put the balls away -- he went for his shots -- he took some risks. He did NOTHING today to try to beat Federer. Federer didn't have to do anything but keep the ball in play and wait for Roddick to come to net so he could hit a hooked-angle passing shot (like always) and pass him.

I'm NOT basing the following statement on this tournament or today's match, however I truly do see, Andy Roddick falling to somewhere between 7-10 in the rankings within the next twelve months. His game just isn't flexible enough to consistently beat the big guys, and it's only a matter of time before all of the ATP players begin to realize that if you just bunt the return back against Roddick, you have a very good chance of winning the point.

Roger Federer will win the US Open this year, I'm calling it now. Good win, Rog. Sorry you had to be bored with a pathetic final with Andy again.

The furthest Roddick wil fall is #4. Other than Rogi, Nadal and Hewitt no one else is going to surpass him. Roddick beats people he's supposed to all the time, unlike Safin. What else do you have? You've got Agassi who plays 10 tournaments a year, followed by Davydenko and a bunch of claycourters. The new people like Gasquet etc. aren't going to trouble Roddick.

WF4EVER
08-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Sinnet, while I agree with your assessment of today's match and of Roddick in particular, there are just two points which I disagree with.

One: I just don't agree that Andy's athleticism is that huge a weapon against Federer. Federer is more athletic than Andy IMO, first of all , and second, isn't that what he tried in the final of Wimby 2004? How long could he keep it up for?

Two: I don't know about Andy falling in the rankings because of other players figuring him out. Don't they all know already that he's all serve? At least he's always been all serve until recently when he started to serve and volley (quite improved from Wimby IMO)? The difference between Roger and the other players vs Andy is that Roger reads Andy's serve so well he's always forced to push for more. DO the other players have this 'talent' for reading Andy's serves? I can't really say that they do.

I'm wondering how Roddick and Nadal will match up against each other (non-clay, of course. That's a no-brainer). I haven't bothered to check if they've ever played but I know that recently they haven't. Ok, I checked and I do remember that 2k4 USO match when Nadal was still quite green. I would love to see them play again because I can just imagine Nadal getting everything back and testing that athleticism of which you wrote.

I think Andy will remain top 5 because of his serve and with the improvements to his game because there are tons of players he's still able to outserve and outplay, but perhaps not against the other top 4, whomever they may be.

PaulieM
08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
She's got a nice tan going, though.
so does roger :hearts:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Nadal's game doesn't match well with Roddick on non-clay. He'll wipe him out at the USO.

victory1
08-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Nadal's game doesn't match well with Roddick on non-clay. He'll wipe him out at the USO.

That's right, Andy will probably beat Nadal on anything but clay. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Andy is a very good player, he just don't match-up very well agaisnt Federer. I just never understood why Hewitt has the advantage agaisnt him, Andy should be beating Hewitt. at least most of their matches have been close.

nobama
08-22-2005, 04:22 AM
That's right, Andy will probably beat Nadal on anything but clay. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Andy is a very good player, he just don't match-up very well agaisnt Federer. I just never understood why Hewitt has the advantage agaisnt him, Andy should be beating Hewitt. at least most of their matches have been close.Well Matt Cronin from tennisreporters.net says that Nadal is as good as a hard court player as Fed is. :scratch: I'm still trying to figure that one out as he's won exactly ONE hard court title whereas since the beginning of '04 Roger's won 13 hard court titles (both indoor/outdoor) including two grand slams, five TMS and two TMC. Maybe someday Nadal will be, but he's not right now - regardless of the final in Miami.

sawan66278
08-22-2005, 04:32 AM
While its clear that Roger is better than Andy Roddick, with his serve and forehand, Roddick should NOT have lost to him ten out of the last eleven times (at least in the pathetic manner he has lost)....I agree: mixing it up is the way to go...but more importantly, he has to stop giving Roger SO MUCH respect...Andy is clearly afraid of Fed, and goes out on the court thinking he has NO shot...he is completely psyched out by him...I mean if Ginepri and Blake can give Roger trouble, Andy should be able to...perhaps he should have kept Gilbert as his coach...

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 04:39 AM
The old strategy of coming to net on Fed's BH is just OLD now. He passes people just as well from the BH side. What's amazing to me is that Federer will dump 85 mph 2nd serves into the bottom of the net with the slice return but take 103 mph 2nd serves on the line by Roddick nad slice them down to Roddick's feet.

Roger, you're the king. We're all just lucky to be in your kingdom.

victory1
08-22-2005, 04:43 AM
Well Matt Cronin from tennisreporters.net says that Nadal is as good as a hard court player as Fed is. :scratch: I'm still trying to figure that one out as he's won exactly ONE hard court title whereas since the beginning of '04 Roger's won 13 hard court titles (both indoor/outdoor) including two grand slams, five TMS and two TMC. Maybe someday Nadal will be, but he's not right now - regardless of the final in Miami.

Exactly!!! :worship:

Auscon
08-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Great win Roger!

and good one on the tag team, join forces, power rangers quip Andy :)

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Well Matt Cronin from tennisreporters.net says that Nadal is as good as a hard court player as Fed is. I'm still trying to figure that one out as he's won exactly ONE hard court title whereas since the beginning of '04 Roger's won 13 hard court titles (both indoor/outdoor) including two grand slams, five TMS and two TMC. Maybe someday Nadal will be, but he's not right now - regardless of the final in Miami.

Exactly. Federer has won 28 in a row on hard courts and 54 out of his last 55 matches on hard courts. The one loss he had since Athens Olympics 2004 was to Safin, a match in which he possessed match point. In that stretch, he has beaten among others, Agassi 4 times, Hewitt 3 times, Roddick twice, Safin once and Nadal once. That's one heck of a stretch.

ExpectedWinner
08-22-2005, 06:14 AM
.I mean if Ginepri and Blake can give Roger trouble, Andy should be able to...perhaps he should have kept Gilbert as his coach...

Perhaps Roddick should let his ranking fall as low as Blake's and take on Fed in the first round. :devil:

Art&Soul
08-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Woohooo ROGI, 22 consecutive final victories, you're the King of the World, :hearts: poor Roddick he got no chance except his serve :)

etiage
08-22-2005, 07:44 AM
The old strategy of coming to net on Fed's BH is just OLD now. He passes people just as well from the BH side. What's amazing to me is that Federer will dump 85 mph 2nd serves into the bottom of the net with the slice return but take 103 mph 2nd serves on the line by Roddick nad slice them down to Roddick's feet.

Roger, you're the king. We're all just lucky to be in your kingdom.

well, that's actually one of the things roger can work on, returning slower serves
he even said himself that he had/has? trouble adapting to the slower serves coming at him on clay
and RG proved it

with what he can do with roddick's serve, i would've thought that he could smack off some returns. spin and high bounce taken into consideration

timing off

Fedex
08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Unfortunate for me, I did not see the match. (I slept in :( , which is my fault for staying up too late last night.) I will have to get this match on DVD, I guess. I was suprised to see that Roddick out aced Federer today, which as far as I know, thats the 1st time he's done that in his career.

Cervantes
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
he could win wimbly in sometime, maybe when master Roger doesn't play :P

We've all seen what happens when master Roger doesn't play: everybody except Nadal (and the old master AA) gets really nervous cause this might be a chance to actually win a tournament. And then they all lose early on. It's like they forgot how to win tournaments after the continuous onslaught by Federer and Nadal.

blosson
08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Federer is the only one beating the top players all the time. I haven't seen Nadal playing against Lleyton, Marat or Andy on hard courts recently, yet.

1sun
08-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Well Matt Cronin from tennisreporters.net says that Nadal is as good as a hard court player as Fed is. :scratch: I'm still trying to figure that one out as he's won exactly ONE hard court title whereas since the beginning of '04 Roger's won 13 hard court titles (both indoor/outdoor) including two grand slams, five TMS and two TMC. Maybe someday Nadal will be, but he's not right now - regardless of the final in Miami.
have you got an atricle where wacky matty said that?

mitalidas
08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
While its clear that Roger is better than Andy Roddick, with his serve and forehand, Roddick should NOT have lost to him ten out of the last eleven times (at least in the pathetic manner he has lost)....I agree: mixing it up is the way to go...but more importantly, he has to stop giving Roger SO MUCH respect.....

if this is the case, why did he lose the first 4 matches against Roger? surely he hasn't been afraid of Roger since 2001??
the fact is, Roger has always been the better player. roddick has improved his game, but Roger has not stood still either. Roger is the more complete player and roddick is going to have to get some letdown on Roger's part, or have more game himself, in order to win

PamV
08-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Andy has got a huge serve but Roger reads Andy's serve well so that neuralizes it. I think Roger had a harder time returning Ginepri's serve. That would be because he either isn't used to playing Ginepri or else Ginepri has better placement than Andy.

nobama
08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
have you got an atricle where wacky matty said that?
Yep:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_federer_082105.html

<snip>Maybe not, considering that Rafael Nadal has upped his game to a level that it very close, if not as good, as Federer's on hard courts.<snip>

1sun
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Yep:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_federer_082105.html

<snip>Maybe not, considering that Rafael Nadal has upped his game to a level that it very close, if not as good, as Federer's on hard courts.<snip>
cheers.
theres only two excuses for this comment. either matty boy hates roger dominating or he knows nothing about tennis. silly matty.

WF4EVER
08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Federer is the only one beating the top players all the time. I haven't seen Nadal playing against Lleyton, Marat or Andy on hard courts recently, yet.

Absolutely. Telling, isn't it? I'm sure that's because all but one of his titles was on clay or half of the others were not as important as the other half. He did win 3 AMS' and the FO, but the others.......

Regarding Roddick, I don't honestly believe Roddick was beat before he reached the ocurt yesterday. He may even have believed even more in his chances than he did at Wimby. And I heard a commentator say on ESPN Deportes that American HC was Roddick's best chance of beating Roger. Apparently, he doesn't even stand a chance on grass.

It was after Roddick lost that first set that he started doubting his chances but when he got that break he thought he had it made. He was back in contention; then Roger broke him right back. OMG. That must be frustrating as hell. Butr on the contrary in the SF I thought Ginepri started doubting himself after Roger forced a third, but to his credit he continued to play steadily until that one fatal game.

Like many people I'm sure Roddick is thinking that Fed can't always beat him. The thing is he's either going to have to wait for him to come out in a wheelchair or he's going to have to go out there and take it to him with solid imrovememtns in his game because it's obvious: Federer just has his number; he knows how to read Andy too well, so nothing seems to work. That doesn't mean he shouldn't keep trying, tho. Because even if he doesn't beat Federer he will improve himself trying.

Irish
08-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Congrats Roger!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

nobama
08-23-2005, 03:36 AM
cheers.
theres only two excuses for this comment. either matty boy hates roger dominating or he knows nothing about tennis. silly matty.Don't forget after Roger's match against Kiefer at Wimbledon (where :eek: he dropped a set), Cronin posted this beauty: If Federer doesn't three-pete at Wimbledon, will his reign of dominance will be over? (http://www.tennisreporters.net/news_federer_062505.html) :haha:

Doctor Dance
08-23-2005, 03:39 AM
congrats roger :yeah:

oneandonlyhsn
08-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Don't forget after Roger's match against Kiefer at Wimbledon (where :eek: he dropped a set), Cronin posted this beauty: If Federer doesn't three-pete at Wimbledon, will his reign of dominance will be over? (http://www.tennisreporters.net/news_federer_062505.html) :haha:

Thanks for the article Cronin keeps on proving day after day that he is a nutter

Daniel
08-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Congrats Roger :yeah: