MARY CARILLO Please SHUT UP [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MARY CARILLO Please SHUT UP

wcr
08-21-2005, 05:49 PM
When the points start, stop talking.

NYCtennisfan
08-21-2005, 06:01 PM
When the USO gets going, we will be saying that a lot. The fact of the matter is that she will never shut up---never.

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Commentators of any kind should always keep quiet during the points. That's one thing I've noticed from seeing clips of matches that were on US TV, they tend to keep on chattering during long and exciting rallies.

TheBoiledEgg
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
they should send her over to the BBC for lessons :lol:

wcr
08-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Mary has some good things to offer, especially in the gossip department. But she's clueless that her job as a commentator is to help build the tension of a point, a game, a set a match. She needs help. She should watch old matches called by Pat Sommerall. She should hire Billie Jean King. If players can continue to improve their professions (game) Mary can as well.

Sjengster
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
The three point plan for commentators everywhere:

1. No talking during points.
2. No mentioning the score after every single point (this also tends to happen on US TV, although if the score was kept on screen in the corner the whole time then this wouldn't be an issue)
3. No more lazy cliches. OK, so that's an impossible dream.

star
08-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Mary is a good commentator, and used to be better. I can't fathom why she rattles on and on and on and most of the time not even about what is happening on the court.

She's like my nightmare person in a seat next to me. One who just talks and talks and talks and not even about the tennis.

I put it on mute.

wcr
08-21-2005, 06:15 PM
The three point plan for commentators everywhere:

1. No talking during points.
2. No mentioning the score after every single point (this also tends to happen on US TV, although if the score was kept on screen in the corner the whole time then this wouldn't be an issue)
3. No more lazy cliches. OK, so that's an impossible dream.

LOL. Hey Sjengster. Where the heck is Sjeng Schalken? Love to see him play.

Dirk
08-21-2005, 06:17 PM
HEY!!!!!!!!! She kisses Roger's ass real good so she can talk anytime for Dirky. :inlove:

NYCtennisfan
She'll probably throw something in about the decline of the Williams sisters next.

Sjengster
LOL. Hey Sjengster. Where the heck is Sjeng Schalken? Love to see him play.

Outside the Top 200, and probably returning to the Challenger circuit sometime soon. I think 2003 was his last gasp as a Top 20 player, sadly.

Seles3
08-21-2005, 07:12 PM
puhlease....she has the best things to say. NEXT!

1sun
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
HEY!!!!!!!!! She kisses Roger's ass real good so she can talk anytime for Dirky. :inlove:
ditto ;)

disturb3d
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Haha, you have a female commentator!

victory1
08-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Mary is a good commentator, and used to be better. I can't fathom why she rattles on and on and on and most of the time not even about what is happening on the court.

She's like my nightmare person in a seat next to me. One who just talks and talks and talks and not even about the tennis.

I put it on mute.

Exactly how I felt, I too put it on mute. It's like watching a good movie and during each exciting scene there's a chatter box. I find myself yelling shut-up to the TV, that's when I put it on mute! :(

star
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: It's best to take corrective action when you find yourself yelling at the TV.

Of course, I was talking to Andy quite a bit, but that's not the same thing, is it? :angel:

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Today Mary was a Godsend
Who was that other ass commentating? She gave a bit of balance to his midwestern corn-fed rahrah US patriotism

wcr
08-21-2005, 08:13 PM
puhlease....she has the best things to say. NEXT!

Mary has great things to say. She should just SHUT UP when the points start. Or, are we tuning in for a 2 hour Mary Carillo monologue?

victory1
08-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Mary has great things to say. She should just SHUT UP when the points start. Or, are we tuning in for a 2 hour Mary Carillo monologue?

Yes, that's all we're asking for, not for her to stop talking, just shut-up during points! :rolleyes:

Socket
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I think Carillo is burnt out on tennis, and she talks non-stop to keep herself amused. She didn't do this in the early 90s.

LLeytonRules
08-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Would Federer accept Head from Carillo, knowing Mirka is looking? :devil:

partygirl
08-21-2005, 09:12 PM
thank you...lady shut up!

wimbledonfan
08-21-2005, 11:48 PM
I think Mary Carillo masturbates to Roger Federer . :)

star
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
I think Carillo is burnt out on tennis, and she talks non-stop to keep herself amused. She didn't do this in the early 90s.

That's what I think too. :)

blosson
08-22-2005, 12:04 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: It's best to take corrective action when you find yourself yelling at the TV.

Of course, I was talking to Andy quite a bit, but that's not the same thing, is it? :angel:

at least we couldn't hear you. :D

Tennis Fool
08-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Today Mary was a Godsend
Who was that other ass commentating? She gave a bit of balance to his midwestern corn-fed rahrah US patriotism
Bill McAtee.

I think you're too hard on Mary. What sports doesnt' have the commentator talk through points? Nobody hear has watched a football game, I guess.

revolution
08-22-2005, 12:40 AM
She can't be as bad as Andrew Castle. He got nowhere in tennis and is now a morning TV presenter here, but still gets to commentate at the AO, RG and Wimbledon. How I laugh when I see him next to McEnroe in the commentary box when there's such a gulf in class, on court and off it.

Womble
08-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Andrew Castle is nowhere near as awful as Chris Bailey. not only does he have a droney, monotone voice, but adds absolutely nothing. Andrew Castle's OK as a presenter/commentator, but pales into insignificance when sitting alongside McEnroe, Becker et al at Wimbledon.

Don't get me started on Sue Barker's presenting style and interview technique...

MissMoJo
08-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I like Mary, but yeah she does seem to forgot what she's doing sometimes and ramble. Still, i'll take her over pmac and his condiment metaphors and lame catchphrases any day

uNIVERSE mAN
08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
What's worse than John McEnroe's "let's be honest..."?

mangoes
08-22-2005, 01:44 AM
I said the same thing to my television. And she spends the majority of the time gossiping.

swellde
08-22-2005, 06:24 AM
The one thing that stands out for me was during a Wimbledon semi this year I believe, when she kept going on about the history of men's tennis shoes. There were things she said about shoes I didn't know, but come on, it's a Wimbledon Semifinal, and when she had to stop talking during the climax of a good rally, the second it was over, I remember her jumping right back in like... Anyways, back to tennis shoes.

pikespeak
08-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I said the same thing to my television. And she spends the majority of the time gossiping.

I didn't get a change to see the match--yet.

Someone please tell me, I'm intrigued, what the bloody hell was she gossiping about?

Was it anything spicy?

:devil: :devil:

Nimomunz
08-22-2005, 03:53 PM
The one thing that stands out for me was during a Wimbledon semi this year I believe, when she kept going on about the history of men's tennis shoes. There were things she said about shoes I didn't know, but come on, it's a Wimbledon Semifinal, and when she had to stop talking during the climax of a good rally, the second it was over, I remember her jumping right back in like... Anyways, back to tennis shoes.
i really hate when they go back to the dreary subject they were talking about without mentioning anything that happened in the point!!

Mrs. B
08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
i dont mind some Carillo commentating in exchange for the guy who talks during points and nonstop on Swiss Italian tv when Roger's playing.

victory1
08-22-2005, 04:24 PM
i dont mind some Carillo commentating in exchange for the guy who talks during points and nonstop on Swiss Italian tv when Roger's playing.

She does it too. In fact the better the point the louder she gets.

mitalidas
08-22-2005, 05:24 PM
What's worse than John McEnroe's "let's be honest..."?
Pat McEnroe's HELLLOOO

njnetswill
08-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Pat McEnroe's HELLLOOO

Amen to that. add "the EYEDROPPER!!!!" to that as well.

Nimomunz
08-22-2005, 07:03 PM
i thik thats hilarious when he says that!! Cliff sounds sometimes like he wants to say STFU!!

PaulieM
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
that is the worst, and almost as bad is the mustard. :(

Whistleway
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
hehe.. someone should find her email and send these posts to her. :)

NYCtennisfan
08-22-2005, 10:05 PM

EXCELLENT point. She didn't go on and on about stuff not relating to the match nearly as much back then.

boliviana
08-22-2005, 11:23 PM
. . . only if Brad Gilbert shuts up first and someone (please) do something about his hair . . . a neanderthal looks better than he does. Don't they have a makeup person there or something??????

The Pro
08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Andrew Castle is nowhere near as awful as Chris Bailey. not only does he have a droney, monotone voice, but adds absolutely nothing. Andrew Castle's OK as a presenter/commentator, but pales into insignificance when sitting alongside McEnroe, Becker et al at Wimbledon.

Don't get me started on Sue Barker's presenting style and interview technique...

How can you knock Sue? Wimbledon without her would be :confused:

I bet she masturbates to Andy Roddick tho.