if federer doesn't lose this weekend's final... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

if federer doesn't lose this weekend's final...

federer express
08-20-2005, 08:06 PM
will he ever lose a final again?

(hewitt/roddick could not ask for him to be playing worse)

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Dont jinx him, but I have to admit he is playing like shite

VingaRafel
Eventually..... but it might take a looong time! Federer is one of a kind, he is definitively going to make history.

The US Open will not be easy though. Too many good players, too many contenders. Still, I see him as the favorite to win.

mickymouse
Roddick and Hewitt aren't playing their best game too

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Roddick and Hewitt aren't playing their best game too

:eek: Have you seen Roger lately

In_Disguise
08-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Despite, Roger winning the last 8 meetings against Hewitt...I'm always have the feeling, Hewitt will rise to the occasion one day...It reminds me of the Sampras Agassi rivalry in the 90s, when Sampras was dominating, then in '95, Agassi was arised and began to seriously rival and beat Pete that year...I always sense a similar thing happening with Hewitt

VingaRafel
08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Roger didn't look like the Roger we all know. He was very offish.. but you know, everybody can have a bad day in the office. He still won though, so .. go Roger!

federer express
08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Despite, Roger winning the last 8 meetings against Hewitt...I'm always have the feeling, Hewitt will rise to the occasion one day...It reminds me of the Sampras Agassi rivalry in the 90s, when Sampras was dominating, then in '95, Agassi was arised and began to seriously rival and beat Pete that year...I always sense a similar thing happening with Hewitt

federer-hewitt is a completely different match-up

mickymouse
08-20-2005, 08:16 PM
:eek: Have you seen Roger lately

Yes. Have you seen Roddick and Hewitt lately? :)
They're all playing below their best so Fed still holds the advantage over them

Cervantes
08-20-2005, 08:26 PM

Yeah right, Hewitt doesn't have any influence on the outcome of his matches against Federer. Mayer if Roger plays really badly (like he did tonight against Ginepri) Hewitt has an outside chance, but really having seen their last 8 meetings you can't see Hewitt standing any kind of chance.

RodLo
08-20-2005, 08:27 PM

Yes.

yanchr
08-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Do you remember last year Toronto? I don't know which one is more shit, I mean the semi and actually the whole tourney, but see the final...

disturb3d
08-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Nadal, Safin, Berdych and Gasquet are all capable of taking him down.

federer express
08-20-2005, 10:00 PM

u mean they have all beaten him. doesn't mean they are likely to in a final...with the exception of nadal the rest are struggling to make finals!

Skyward
08-20-2005, 10:07 PM

You are a genius.

mitalidas
08-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Gee thanks --you forgot to include Hrbaty and Henman in that mix

WF4EVER
08-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I really have to wonder, has Roger ever played worse at a tournament and still made the Final? He is really playing strangely. His footwork is not as sharp as before (I don't know if that's because he's not 100% or he's just being cautious) and his forehand is all awry. OTOH despite losing his serve several times he's been serving well and he's not double faulting a lot. In fact of the matches I've seen of Rog's I can only think of one which was worse: the Montreal SF in 2003 when Roddick beat him. He had tons of errors and tons of DFs.

Personally if Roger's not going to win the Final I would have preferred for Ginepri to beat him. Hewitt and Roddick must never beat Roger again, IMO.

That said, it's amazing that playing as badly as he has been he still made it to the Final in CIncinatti, where prior to 2005 he had a record of 1-4. SOmetimes I don't think people realize that when players improve previous results are likely to improve as well. To think that Roger couldn't make a go here was unfair to him considering he only came into his own in 2003 and has had tough conditions heading into Cincy previously. Yet, after being off for 6 weeks Roger was able to come into this tournament and make the final in total un-Federer fashion.

Good luck in the Final, Roger. Keep that streak going.

K-Dog
08-20-2005, 10:47 PM
The thing is Fed below his best, is still better than most players. He has not had to play a top tenner this week, and that could hurt him. I think Fed will try to raise his level tomorrow and not to mention his head-to-head over both as of late. Roger played this way at Toronto last year, and look at the final he played. AMAZING!! Roger is the best ever!! GO ROG!!

mp3junkie
08-20-2005, 11:20 PM
I really have to wonder, has Roger ever played worse at a tournament and still made the Final? He is really playing strangely. His footwork is not as sharp as before (I don't know if that's because he's not 100% or he's just being cautious) and his forehand is all awry. OTOH despite losing his serve several times he's been serving well and he's not double faulting a lot. In fact of the matches I've seen of Rog's I can only think of one which was worse: the Montreal SF in 2003 when Roddick beat him. He had tons of errors and tons of DFs.

Personally if Roger's not going to win the Final I would have preferred for Ginepri to beat him. Hewitt and Roddick must never beat Roger again, IMO.

That said, it's amazing that playing as badly as he has been he still made it to the Final in CIncinatti, where prior to 2005 he had a record of 1-4. SOmetimes I don't think people realize that when players improve previous results are likely to improve as well. To think that Roger couldn't make a go here was unfair to him considering he only came into his own in 2003 and has had tough conditions heading into Cincy previously. Yet, after being off for 6 weeks Roger was able to come into this tournament and make the final in total un-Federer fashion.

Good luck in the Final, Roger. Keep that streak going.

Think about it.... If Roger is sucking ass in this tournament and still make the final, it should tell all of us that the current ATP players suck big time. Why is Roger in the finals when he has played so poorly? Why has no one beaten him? It has to be the quality of the rest of the players. It's just ridiculous that no one came seem to challenge Federer with the exception of Nadal.

ATP players need to step it up and challenge Federer. It's becomming a joke in my opinion.

federer express
08-21-2005, 12:20 AM
if roddick doesn't beat him now, he never will again

star
08-21-2005, 12:34 AM

What a question.

Of course, he'll lose in a final sometime -- that is unless his career is cut short by injury or accident. That's just the way tennis goes.

Although I realize the thread title is more a rhetorical Federer worshiping question. :)

federer express
08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
What a question.

Of course, he'll lose in a final sometime -- that is unless his career is cut short by injury or accident. That's just the way tennis goes.

Although I realize the thread title is more a rhetorical Federer worshiping question. :)

thread title is not that at all. if u read and understand it then you will know i am saying that federer is playing like shit!
anyway, not a serious thread. jokingly suggesting that if he was to beat roddick or hewitt (we now know it will be roddick) whilst playing the worst tennis of his life then when will he lose?! maybe on clay in a final against nadal....

star
08-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I said I understood it was a rhetorical question -- meaning you were simply making a point and not really wanting an answer.

federer express
08-21-2005, 12:45 AM
I said I understood it was a rhetorical question -- meaning you were simply making a point and not really wanting an answer.

no u said it was a rhetorical federer worshipping question. i dont see any federer worshipping in saying that hewitt/roddick could not ask for him to be playing worse. wow...praise and worship indeed :p

star
08-21-2005, 12:52 AM
No the question was: If Federer doesn't lose this weekend's final, will he ever lose a final again?

That's asking if he will ever lose a final again in his entire playing career. To think that Federer will never lose a final again in his entire playing career is definitely Fed worshiping.

As the question reads, you weren't limiting it to him playing only hewitt/roddick in a final as you now seem to do.

federer express
08-21-2005, 12:56 AM
No the question was: If Federer doesn't lose this weekend's final, will he ever lose a final again?

That's asking if he will ever lose a final again in his entire playing career. To think that Federer will never lose a final again in his entire playing career is definitely Fed worshiping.

As the question reads, you weren't limiting it to him playing only hewitt/roddick in a final as you now seem to do.

oh dear. was not an entirely serious question. the point (which u have missed) is that he is unlikely to ever be in worse form whilst playing in a final. so, it stands to reason that this would be as good an opportunity as anyone may get for a long long time to defeat him in a final.

guinevere_79
08-21-2005, 02:18 AM
This is Roddick's best chance to beat Federer, of all their recent meetings.

As was previously mentioned, Roger has not met a top 10 player and has "struggled" in some of his matches. On the other hand, Andy just had an encouraging win over Lleyton, who beats him on a regular basis. That will surely boost his confidence.

Then again, how many times have we seen Roger play like crap for the entire tournament, only to play a brilliant match in the final? :)

Nimomunz
08-21-2005, 04:20 AM
roddick played a very clean game against hewitt, i think this could be it!

Fedex
08-21-2005, 04:29 AM

Oh, please, he will lose eventually. I hope the streak continues tomorrow as much as anybody, but its simply ludicrous to think that the streak wont end at some point.

Paialii
08-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Heh.

For this forum and the fans of Roddick, it's a double-edged sword. Should Andy lose tomorrow, it'll be a great thing that he beat Hewitt and atleast made the finals for the Andy fans. For the Roger fans, it'll be a celebration that Roger has gone from playing like my grandfather to beating Roddick...again. However, should Roddick WIN, it won't be, atleast HERE anyway, looked at with much appreciation BECAUSE of how Roger has been playing this past week.

But maybe I should just wait until the match, eh? My instincts tell me that Roddick is going to venture into net at the wrong times tomorrow and get passed by Roger's short angle passing shots that Andy, for some reason, doesn't pick up on. Roger will step up his game in the finals and hopefully the match will go to three sets.

If Roger DOES win, and he's my pick by far for the match, I think his finals record will last until the next time he plays Nadal in a final. ;)

Beforehand
08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Am I the only one who fully expects Federer to somehow regain his game tomorrow, and beat Andy comfortably again?

Paialii
08-21-2005, 04:42 AM
Am I the only one who fully expects Federer to somehow regain his game tomorrow, and beat Andy comfortably again?

Nope, I'm on the same boat as you are. :)

nobama
08-21-2005, 04:47 AM
I think Roger played Ginepri and Blake once before. Not sure about the others, but I don't think there was anyone in the draw he played frequently or really knew their game well (Ollie maybe?). I expect him to play better against Roddick because he's played him often enough and knows his game well. But I'm not prepared to put a 'W' next to his name yet.

Beforehand
08-21-2005, 04:50 AM
I've just seen it so many times, where Federer underwhelms during the tournament, and then absolutely explodes in the final with no real rationale.

Beforehand
08-21-2005, 04:51 AM
It will be real interesting to see how Roger deals with Andy Roddick's new "Taylor Dent is a wonderful player" style game.

sigmagirl91
08-21-2005, 12:07 PM
It will be real interesting to see how Roger deals with Andy Roddick's new "Taylor Dent is a wonderful player" style game.

Oh, you're funny. Anyhow, Roger should win.

MariaV
08-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I guess some day he will... :)

federer express
08-21-2005, 01:27 PM
i think he will lose this final. in his favour are...

1. he is the superior player...by a long way
2. he pretty much always kicks roddick's ass
3. his record in finals

but against...

1. he is playing the worst tennis of his life (professional life anyway)
2. roddick beat hewitt, who had been owning him
3. he has to lose to roddick again some day
4. he has to lose a final again some day

Experimentee
08-21-2005, 01:31 PM
If Roger is playing as bad as you guys say, he wouldnt be in the final in the first place :rolleyes:
If you think its the worst of his life, when did you start following Roger? 2003?

federer express
08-21-2005, 01:32 PM
If Roger is playing as bad as you guys say, he wouldnt be in the final in the first place :rolleyes:
If you think its the worst of his life, when did you start following Roger? 2003?

actually said professional life. and he is playing that badly!! if you have been watching, you will already know this

bad gambler
08-21-2005, 01:35 PM
i think it's a case of having too high expectations on the guy

he will win tomorrow and normal service will be resumed around here, showering him of praise

Experimentee
08-21-2005, 01:44 PM
actually said professional life. and he is playing that badly!! if you have been watching, you will already know this

You have too high expectations on him. You cant expect him to play 100% in every tournament. And if he was playing the worst of his life he wouldnt be in the final. I've seen him play matches in 2001 and before which wouldnt have got him past the first round of this tournament.

federer express
08-21-2005, 01:46 PM
You have too high expectations on him. You cant expect him to play 100% in every tournament. And if he was playing the worst of his life he wouldnt be in the final. I've seen him play matches in 2001 and before which wouldnt have got him past the first round of this tournament.

his standard this week, and i am talking about the whole week has been as bad as i think he has ever produced, for that length of time. and its no good saying 'he cant have played that badly or he wouldn't be in the final!' because he has played that badly and he is the final. and he is there because of his name and what it means to beat him!!

Beforehand
08-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh, you're funny. Anyhow, Roger should win.
:angel:

nobama
08-21-2005, 02:52 PM
his standard this week, and i am talking about the whole week has been as bad as i think he has ever produced, for that length of time. and its no good saying 'he cant have played that badly or he wouldn't be in the final!' because he has played that badly and he is the final. and he is there because of his name and what it means to beat him!!True, but that just means Roger didn't fold under the pressue, he's able to close it out and win when he's not playing his best. That certainly wasn't the case in his earlier years on the tour. Obviously he's just mentally tougher than some of these other guys, they choke he doesn't. If he was playing so horribly yesterday how come Robbie only had the one break point opportunity? Yeah I know Roger had over 30 UE's, which is way to high. But his serving stats were decent - in fact first serve %, and points won on first serve stats were better than Robbie, Andy or Lleyton. And Andy fired 23 aces in his match.

PamV
08-21-2005, 02:55 PM
roddick played a very clean game against hewitt, i think this could be it!

Yes he did, however, Hewitt was playing impatiently and was not himself. Hewitt tried to become a one-two punch player rather than a grinding backboard. It looked like Hewitt was distracted and the commentators said he was subdued.

Of course the win will still pump up Roddick's confidence. Anything can happen.

PamV
08-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I've just seen it so many times, where Federer underwhelms during the tournament, and then absolutely explodes in the final with no real rationale.

I love it when that happens. There's nothing better than Roger letting the Ninja out of the bottle in a final.

PaulieM
08-21-2005, 08:07 PM
his next loss in a final will be the next time he plays jiri novak in a final ;)

Shabazza
08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
his next loss in a final will be the next time he plays jiri novak in a final ;)
:lol: :yeah:

WF4EVER
08-21-2005, 09:38 PM
I think Roger played Ginepri and Blake once before. Not sure about the others, but I don't think there was anyone in the draw he played frequently or really knew their game well (Ollie maybe?). I expect him to play better against Roddick because he's played him often enough and knows his game well. But I'm not prepared to put a 'W' next to his name yet.

I think this is exactly why Roger has beaten Andy today. He knows his game inside and out, reads him like and open book and can handle whatever he's coming with. Tragically for Roddick, what he did against Youzhny he failed to do against Roger. He did not change his tactics after that first set loss and I'm sure that was due to fear. He knew he had already lost a set and was afraid to try anything else for fear of failing at it.

Roger reminds me so much of Venus when she was dominating. She could whip the hell out of any top 10 player but then she would be pushed or the limit or beaten by nobodies. Life's like that, I guess.

megadeth
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
federer-hewitt rivalry is more like a sampras-chang rivalry... that blown out

sweetiepiedoll
08-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Roger will lose a final when the time is right for him to lose one. This will happen when we will least expect it. I believe that RF's streak in GS finals will end soon (courtesy of Rafael Nadal) because I don't think that RF will be able to handle the pressure (having not loss a GS final) too much longer. I think that RF needs to lose a final because it will make the ATP more competitive & it will help define his career. Laver, Borg, Sampras, Agassi all had some great wins & some devasting losses, but it is the combination of both (wins & losses) that help define their careers among other things.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 12:19 AM
so how does losing in a final define one's career?

career definition would be more based on what you've accomplished.

from your thread, you're saying that RF has to lose if he wants his career defined. which doesn't make much sense.

if that's the case. i'd rather keep winning rather than lose just to have my career "defined"

i think RF doesn't need a loss in the final to mature because he's matured enough as it is. he's even more mature than agassi and sampras. so if losing develops maturity, RF has enough losses to bounce back from, only thing is that those losses don't happen in the finals for the past 22 times.

federer express
09-11-2005, 11:35 PM
this thread was made before the cincinatti final. like i said then, will he lose another final?

Doris Loeffel
09-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Ooooppppsss he did it again!!! Not playing great (as of Federer standards) and still winning the title!!

Keep it up that way Roger!! ;)

bad gambler
09-12-2005, 02:16 AM
he won't win forever