Hmmm. Little League or Federer? Espn chooses little league! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hmmm. Little League or Federer? Espn chooses little league!

BHH1988
08-19-2005, 09:12 PM
WTF! I was watching Federer vs. Acasuso, and I have a feeling it's going to be a great match. They were on serve and everythign and it looked like it was gonna go on and then without warning, Cliff Drysdale starts busting out his closing espn words "this has been a presentation..." THEY CHOOSE TO SHOW LITTLE LEAGUE INSTEAD? WTF!!! W T F!!! PLEASE! I really think this is gonna be a big match. Acasuso is so talented. Maybe even an upset. CAn someone please please record this? Maybe that way there's a chance to have it up on the bittorrent tennis match website.

Mistaflava
08-19-2005, 09:15 PM
believe me they willl have 10 times more viewers watching Little League than they did watching Roger 'Bore me to death' Federer. Anytime, anyplace they would do it again. Old topic.

RoddickBabe10
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Stupid ESPN. :banghead: :banghead:

Little League is sooo boring!!! And Fed is World #1- totally deserves to be televised. And I bet if it was an Andre Agassi or an Andy Roddick they will show the whole match :o :o

BiancaUL
08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
You'd be surprised at how big a deal LLWS has become in this country (at least ratings wise) compared to what it used to be.

ESPN2, however, never should have started airing a match they won't likely ever finish doing so. :o

Socket
08-19-2005, 09:23 PM
If ESPN bumps tennis, tennis fans post nasty messages on the Internet.

If ESPN bumps Little League, parents march on their Connecticut HQ with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

You do the math.

bad gambler
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
:lol:

alfonsojose
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Little league of ..:confused: baseball, soccer ?

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 09:32 PM
believe me they willl have 10 times more viewers watching Little League than they did watching Roger 'Bore me to death' Federer. Anytime, anyplace they would do it again. Old topic.

incorrect
the ESPN schedule had already been made a week prior to knowing who would be playing the second match. they have given plenty coverage to Roger, and repeated his live matches as reruns as well

And for the same reason that hewitt will only be shown if there is any time left after roddick plays tonight. guess that makes him also bore-me-to-death-hewitt

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Roger hating is getting old. Fact is Tennis isnt 1 of the most popular sports, ofcourse ESPN will go for better ratings. Comprende

Deboogle!.
08-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately, I think the Little League WS probably gets more viewers than tennis. They show what people will watch. It's the nature of running a BUSINESS.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Roger hating is getting old. Fact is Tennis isnt 1 of the most popular sports, ofcourse ESPN will go for better ratings. Comprende

not as old as potato hating!

Little League? all week it's little league all over the place! Who cares about the little brats anyway? :shrug:

1sun
08-19-2005, 09:42 PM

If ESPN bumps Little League, parents march on their Connecticut HQ with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

You do the math.
:haha: :lol: :rolls:

wimbledonfan
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
If it was an american player they would be showing this match instead of showing a foreign world number 1 in Roger Federer. I remeber everytime Pete Sampras was playing they would televise the match no matter how boring his matches were . however , since he was an american player that everyone knew and recognized , that match would get precedence over a non american player playing tennis .

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM

Little League? all week it's little league all over the place! Who cares about the little brats anyway? :shrug:

Lleyton :hug:

Socket
08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Or Roddick. Or Venus. Or Serena. Or Andre. Or all four of them playing grand slam finals at once. Little League gets HUGE ratings, and sells its rights very cheaply, so it's a guaranteed money-maker for ESPN.

AJ, Little League is baseball for kids (or at least the ones without faked birth certificates).

croat123
08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
starsports is showing badminton and cctv5 is showing athletics :sad: the federer match isn't being shown anywhere online :(

SwissMister1
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
I never understood showing the Little League World Series, I'm sure someday I will be at tons of my kids' random little league games. I see no reason to subject myself to that now.

Edit to note that I don't have any kids now (that I know of ;) so maybe I see it differently.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
starsports is showing badminton and cctv5 is showing athletics :sad: the federer match isn't being shown anywhere online :(

None of the matches are online today, they will be showing the semis tomorrow though

croat123
08-19-2005, 09:55 PM
None of the matches are online today, they will be showing the semis tomorrow though
damn, oh well, espn is only showing one semi live so we can watch the other one live (with better commentators) online at least :)

joycomesmorning
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately, I think the Little League WS probably gets more viewers than tennis. They show what people will watch. It's the nature of running a BUSINESS.
Exactly! It's a business decision.

1997...Wimbledon semis...Pete Sampras and somebody??? :confused: ...The BBC (yes, I wrote the BBC) cancelled TV coverage of their own Wimbledon semis for CARTOONS!!!

True story!!

It happens.

jcm

nobama
08-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Why couldn't they switch over to ESPN Classic? I know not everyone gets that channel, but some do. I'm sure they weren't showing anything that important on ESPNC. Just the fact they showed the 1/2 hr or so is amazing. I thought they'd show reruns of Roddick or something.

Clara Bow
08-19-2005, 10:10 PM

And not as young as the new virulent Nadal hating going on here. I guess mean-spirted hating goes in cycles here.

Anywho- the LLWS is pretty popular. And can actually be fun to watch in the latter stages (the team from Curacao a couple of years ago was a blast to watch). So I'm not surprised that they turned to that at the established time. I do agree with Mirkaland that they should have switched the remaining match coverage to ESPN classic or something.

Castafiore
08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Roger hating is getting old.
Yes, and so is Hewitt hating or the Roddick hating and the recent Nadal hating is already getting old in my opinion (and I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody in particular - nor at you, oneandonlyhsn) BUT a number of people here are a bit hypocritical about this IMO.

They defend their own favorite when they see a so-called attack but they have no problem turning up the heat towards players they don't like when they see one of these negative threads.
Practice what you preach. :angel:

1997...Wimbledon semis...Pete Sampras and somebody??? ...The BBC (yes, I wrote the BBC) cancelled TV coverage of their own Wimbledon semis for CARTOONS!!!
Why? Did they give any explanation about that decision?

agaseles
08-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I enjoyted the little leauge. federer is so damn boring to watch play

nkhera1
08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
ESPN should give users the option as to what they want to see. That would be wicked cool but I doubt that will happen for a while. Anyways we should still be greatful that ESPN is showing something and we have to remember that the point of ESPN is to make money and they make money depending on what people watch so if you guys want more tennis you should tell all your friends to leave the tv on tennis even if they don't want to watch it.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes, and so is Hewitt hating or the Roddick hating and the recent Nadal hating is already getting old in my opinion (and I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody in particular - nor at you, oneandonlyhsn) BUT a number of people here are a bit hypocritical about this IMO.

They defend their own favorite when they see a so-called attack but they have no problem turning up the heat towards players they don't like when they see one of these negative threads.
Practice what you preach. :angel:

Why? Did they give any explanation about that decision?

I wasnt a fan of Hewitt, but all the bashing and seeing how he fights so hard just made me a fan. I'm not saying that Rogr gets bashed more, its just annoying to see how threads turn into bashing of any player. Seems like there is no tennis talk anymore

Blaze
08-19-2005, 10:35 PM
It get pretty tiresome how people will complain about anything.

Even at the beginning of the Fed match Cliff said they will show it for the remaining 30 minutes and show the rest after Roddick or Henin-Hardenne.

PamV
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Stupid ESPN. :banghead: :banghead:

Little League is sooo boring!!! And Fed is World #1- totally deserves to be televised. And I bet if it was an Andre Agassi or an Andy Roddick they will show the whole match :o :o

Right. It didn't matter even if Federer won easily, both guys are cute and it was worth watching. If they make such a big deal out of hyping the USOPen Series then why not show ALL of the later round matches? I am also wondering why it looks like Hewitt v. Davydenko will be played tomorrow? With only 4 remaining matches today why couldn't they all be played on the same day......so that everyone has an equal chance in the SFs?

PamV
08-19-2005, 11:11 PM
ESPN should give users the option as to what they want to see. That would be wicked cool but I doubt that will happen for a while. Anyways we should still be greatful that ESPN is showing something and we have to remember that the point of ESPN is to make money and they make money depending on what people watch so if you guys want more tennis you should tell all your friends to leave the tv on tennis even if they don't want to watch it.

Well they have 3 ESPN channels plus digital channels, so I don't see why they couldn't have shown Federer's match live. They want US fans to be excited about tennis yet they are always cutting short the coverage.

The sensible thing to do would be to turn all tennis coverage over to The Tennis Channel which has loads of air space and just keeps on showing reruns of Murphy Jensen interviewing Lindsay Davenport all the time. The Tennis Channel should be made a basic cable channel and it could show all matches of every tournament.

If you want to complain to ESPN about not showing the Federer v. Acasuso match here's a link to send that in :

http://sports.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

lucashg
08-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Little League of Baseball? :puke:

I understand how that gets huge ratings in the US, but I actually prefer to watch some of Federer's shitty matches like his' today than that. Well, different sports for different... ops, doesn't rhyme.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Totally unfair for Hewitt to be playing so late :mad:

lucashg
08-19-2005, 11:35 PM

Like that increases Roddick's chances if they're to meet in the SFs. :o CMON Potato!

Socket
08-19-2005, 11:56 PM
I wasnt a fan of Hewitt, but all the bashing and seeing how he fights so hard just made me a fan. I'm not saying that Rogr gets bashed more, its just annoying to see how threads turn into bashing of any player. Seems like there is no tennis talk anymore
This is very true. And sad.

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:06 AM

It looks like the match is scheduled for 1am Saturday! How can they do that to him? The whole day was available for matches and they only had 4 singles matches. Why wouldn't they schedule Hewitt in at 9am before the other matches? It seems like this manuever would leave the winner of Hewitt/Davydenko less fresh to play their SF match on Saturday.

Pheobo
08-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Who watches little league? o.O

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Little League of Baseball? :puke:

I understand how that gets huge ratings in the US

I don't know one person who watches Little League on TV. I've never even heard of that being on TV before. That was insane to put that on right at that moment. I should think only the parents of the Little League teams cared about that and they would have been there in person watching.

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:14 AM

What's the reason that Hewitt's match had to be scheduled 1am Saturday. It can't be because of television schedules since they aren't televising all of the matches any way. Is it for the benefit of Australian television? You think they'd rather make sure their guy is fresh for the SF.

ugotlobbed
08-20-2005, 12:15 AM
tennis fans are outnumbered by surburban driving moms

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:23 AM
tennis fans are outnumbered by surburban driving moms

I think Little League is more of a local interest sport where the families just go to the local games. They don't care about watching national Little League of players they don't know.

Socket
08-20-2005, 12:33 AM
What's the reason that Hewitt's match had to be scheduled 1am Saturday. It can't be because of television schedules since they aren't televising all of the matches any way. Is it for the benefit of Australian television? You think they'd rather make sure their guy is fresh for the SF.
Where are you seeing Lleyton's match scheduled for 1 am Saturday? The Cincy site has it following the first night match. Perhaps you're looking at a site that uses GMT? That will show 0100 as the estimated time, but that's GMT, not Cincinnati local time.

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Where are you seeing Lleyton's match scheduled for 1 am Saturday? The Cincy site has it following the first night match. Perhaps you're looking at a site that uses GMT? That will show 0100 as the estimated time, but that's GMT, not Cincinnati local time.

Yes, it was a GMT time. If that's the case, then I find it more strange that they said they will show some of Fed's match after Roddick's match. Why not show us the LIVE Hewitt v. Davydenko match? It seems to me that match has two players that are more closely ranked than any of the other QFs. As much as I love Roger.....I'd like to see Hewitt's match live.

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 12:40 AM

That is still very late, if Andys match goes on for 2 hours or more, Lleyton could start at 10pm that doesnt give him as much time to recuperate. Thats okay if anyone can do its Rusty, C'mon Lleyton

Socket
08-20-2005, 12:45 AM
That is still very late, if Andys match goes on for 2 hours or more, Lleyton could start at 10pm that doesnt give him as much time to recuperate. Thats okay if anyone can do its Rusty, C'mon Lleyton
Oh, I don't disagree that it would more fair if Lleyton were playing at the same time as Roddick (on the grandstand), but I just wanted to clear up any confusion about the 1 am start time. That's all.

Socket
08-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Yes, it was a GMT time. If that's the case, then I find it more strange that they said they will show some of Fed's match after Roddick's match. Why not show us the LIVE Hewitt v. Davydenko match? It seems to me that match has two players that are more closely ranked than any of the other QFs. As much as I love Roger.....I'd like to see Hewitt's match live.
I'd like to see Lleyton's match, too, but they have to fill at least 20 minutes between matches, so I guess that's their filler.

I've decided to stop getting upset by ESPN's broadcasting decisions, since getting upset doesn't change anything except how many gray hairs I have.

Socket
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Like that increases Roddick's chances if they're to meet in the SFs. :o CMON Potato!
I guess somebody decided that, with his record against Lleyton, Andy needed some handicapping. ;)

PamV
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Oh, I don't disagree that it would more fair if Lleyton were playing at the same time as Roddick (on the grandstand), but I just wanted to clear up any confusion about the 1 am start time. That's all.

I still wonder why they start any of the matches as late as they have been. Why not have some start at 9am and then have some start later like 7pm when the heat subsides?

Little League is still on! Don't those kids have some homework to do?

Socket
08-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Little League is still on! Don't those kids have some homework to do?
:haha:

Actually, the Guam kids look more impressive than some of the MLB teams do right now. :rolls:

Little League rocks!

nkhera1
08-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Well they have 3 ESPN channels plus digital channels, so I don't see why they couldn't have shown Federer's match live. They want US fans to be excited about tennis yet they are always cutting short the coverage.

The sensible thing to do would be to turn all tennis coverage over to The Tennis Channel which has loads of air space and just keeps on showing reruns of Murphy Jensen interviewing Lindsay Davenport all the time. The Tennis Channel should be made a basic cable channel and it could show all matches of every tournament.

If you want to complain to ESPN about not showing the Federer v. Acasuso match here's a link to send that in :

http://sports.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

OK now I'm mad. ESPN said they would start showing tennis at 5:00 but they didn't. I don't see why they stop showing tennis once the alloted time is up but they keep showing 12 year olds play baseball.

nkhera1
08-20-2005, 01:19 AM
:haha:

Actually, the Guam kids look more impressive than some of the MLB teams do right now. :rolls:

Little League rocks!

They could probably beat K.C.

bad gambler
08-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Roger hating is getting old.

is there such a thing? :eek:

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 01:51 AM
is there such a thing? :eek:

:lol: where have you been lately from character, sexual stuff just to name a few things that have been popping up lately. Nowhere as bad as Lleyton :hug:

bad gambler
08-20-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm not complaining, now I get to watch rusty at perfect time for me :p

PaulieM
08-20-2005, 04:37 AM
there are actually a lot of people who watch little league so it's not really a shocker, however when they show eating contests instead of tennis that makes me a little sad because i can't imagine who the hell is watching that. :confused:

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 04:59 AM
there are actually a lot of people who watch little league so it's not really a shocker, however when they show eating contests instead of tennis that makes me a little sad because i can't imagine who the hell is watching that. :confused:

Hey you are talking about America the land of the obsese

PaulieM
08-20-2005, 05:04 AM
i know, but still...

Socket
08-20-2005, 05:18 AM
It's always the little Japanese guy who wins the eating contests.

Not that I ever watch them.

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 05:20 AM

No worries its a :secret:

World Beater
08-20-2005, 03:22 PM
yep and the japanese guy isn't obese. How ironic is that!?

Golfnduck
08-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Little League can be interesting. Those kids are freaking awesome.

nkhera1
08-20-2005, 04:23 PM

It was funny when ESPN compared him to other great sports dynastys like Lance Armstrong. :eek:

1sun
08-20-2005, 04:55 PM
lol. those eating contests crack me up. a load of fat dudes stuffing their faces. gotta love it

tangerine_dream
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
GO ESPN! :rocker2:

Nimomunz
08-20-2005, 05:12 PM
go espn!!!

amierin
08-20-2005, 05:24 PM

You do the math.

No matter how much I disagree with it this is the truth of sports in the USof A.

But would someone explain why the Spelling Bee delayed match coverage last weekend? Please?

As I've said other places, thank the gods that the USA network still has Open coverage. They show all matches and give practically wall to wall coverage of all the players.

BTW I think they'd pre empt Venus or Serena. Only Roddick and Agassi matches get aired no matter what.

Nimomunz
08-20-2005, 05:26 PM
espn is staying true to its roots!!

thrust
08-20-2005, 05:34 PM
What I saw of the Federer Acuso(?) match, wasn^t worth much. Roger was just too good for him.

thrust
08-20-2005, 05:37 PM
I really enjoyed the Roddick match last night. The Russian guy has a great game to watch, he just needs a bit more power. Andy got inspired in the last two sets, hope he beats Hewitt today, though I wouldn^t bet on it.

BlackSilver
08-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Buahahahahahah :haha: :haha: :haha:

Little League? I didn't know that this exists

Again....... Buahahahahahah........

mitalidas
08-20-2005, 11:51 PM
wow -- thought that roddick would get some respect, you know being american and all. but nada
And get this --they showed Federer live! Incredible ;)

Fumus
08-21-2005, 01:31 AM
haha...yea it's true.

but if Roddick played at Fed's time and Fed played at Roddick's time we would be hearing about what assholes ESPN is for being all about the Americans and they suck because they don't show the euro guys...funny how this forum works.

nkhera1
08-21-2005, 01:32 AM
haha...yea it's true.

but if Roddick played at Fed's time and Fed played at Roddick's time we would be hearing about what assholes ESPN is for being all about the Americans and they suck because they don't show the euro guys...funny how this forum works.

So true

mitalidas
08-21-2005, 01:33 AM
haha...yea it's true.

no, i was just belittling the last thread which made a big deal of this. in fact, these schedules are planned way in advance, so there is no control. its not --as someone stupidly said-- boring Federer matches versus sometihng else
it is jsut random

Fumus
08-21-2005, 01:37 AM
of yea of course. That's my point entirely, I think ESPN coverage this year as a whole, has improved sooo much over last year and years past. I mean, they have showed lots of live tennis, they showed the aussie open final live at 4am or whatever, I mean, I couldn't be happier. I know they have obligations but as long as they show the match it's ok.

oneandonlyhsn
08-21-2005, 01:40 AM
ESPN is just pathetic, but funny thread

star
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
ESPN has time slots.

You know, it makes sense to put little league early because kids are going to want to watch that. They have little league on once a year and tennis many times a year. I don't mind them catering to the little boys and girls who are fanatic baseball players. :)

Fumus
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
well, c'mon guys. I think you would be pretty pissed if you were a little leauge fan, and there are alot of them whether that suprises you or not....and they didn't show your championship live, instead they show the semifinals of a quasi-important tennis tourny...I don't know, I have to side with ESPN in that respect.

tangerine_dream
08-21-2005, 02:19 AM

El Legenda
08-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Little League has been on ESPN FOR YEARS...its a tradition no one gives a shit about roddick

star
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Right. No tennis tournament is going to bump little league out of a good time slot. It's not going to happen, and really it shouldn't happen. The kids deserve to have baseball in a time slot where they are awake.

Neely
08-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Clear choice. LLSW is 10 ten days a year, it has to be more important than a Swiss/American tennis player who are playing almost the whole season.