Ginepri slaps Safin around the court 6-2, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ginepri slaps Safin around the court 6-2, 6-3

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Safin played pretty awfully but Ginepri was incredibly solid on serve and off of the BH side. That's a win against Safin and Roddick this summer. Pretty good for a no talent bum.

alelysafina
08-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Damn you Marat!!!

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
He never had a break point and couldn't seem to return Ginepri's serve at all. He didn't seem like he was there at all.

User ID 4783
Marat :sad:

rofe
Slight correction 6-2, 6-3. Yeah, Ginepri basically outclassed Safin. No other way to put it.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Very impressive from Ginepri, he has a good overall game. I dont get why the press is pimping other players from the States and not him.

Safin :crying2: I just hope he gets seeded 4th for the Open

jole
Hats off to Ginepri. I'd be lying if I said he didn't play an extremely solid match.

onewoman74
Ginepri's serve won him that match...very solid and very impressive

TheBoiledEgg
08-19-2005, 07:22 PM
who cares........... :o
what matters is New York
Marat got some matches in.

NYCtennisfan
Made the correction. :) Marat hit some really good deep shots off of bot the BH and FH sides but Ginepri chased them down and then Marat hit errors.

disturb3d
Safin was afraid of losing... Thats exactly what he got.

nobama
Ginepri :worship:

Now if Roger doesn't make it to the final with the remaining draw then... :smash:

NYCtennisfan
who cares...........
what matters is New York
Marat got some matches in

As a Marat fan you don't care that he got slapped around by Ginepri?

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:23 PM

This is very true.

rofe
08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Ginepri's serve won him that match...very solid and very impressive

Yeah but his ground strokes were much better than Safin today as well. All around solid performance from a guy who seems to have come out of nowhere this summer. Lets see if he can consistently produce these results.

BlackSilver
08-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Ginepri is playing first class tennis, defeating Safin was unnecessary to prove it, he defeated Puerta, Ferrer and Moya in a row, in my opinion a way bigger accomplishment

Bibir
08-19-2005, 07:25 PM
He is afraid of playing...because of the knee.

Good luck for the USO.

Take care of your health!

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
inepri is playing first class tennis, defeating Safin was unnecessary to prove it, he defeated Puerta, Ferrer and Moya in a row, in my opinion a way bigger accomplishment

He has been playing really well this tournament but this is the biggest win. Puerta and Ferrer aren't known for their hardcourt prowess and Moya has been off of his game for a while now. Actually, I was thinking that Marat was going to go down like this sooner or later after seeing him early but was really surprised at how he blew Hrbaty off of the court. I was hoping to see Federer vs. Safin but Ginepri deserves this.

TheBoiledEgg
08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
As a Marat fan you don't care that he got slapped around by Ginepri?

not when he's not totally 100%

Bagel Boy having his usual streak, he'll go back to what he does best in 4 weeks.

Effka
08-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Marat played like crap, and Robby was just too solid. Safin often gets frustrated when his opponent isn't hepling him winning the match :)

But that's just savoury. Us Open will tell who's da man. Good luck Marat. Keep your knee tight.

Bibir
08-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Actually, I was thinking that Marat was going to go down like this sooner or later after seeing him early but was really surprised at how he blew Hrbaty off of the court. I was hoping to see Federer vs. Safin but Ginepri deserves this.
Hraty played like crap yesterday...Marat was just a little bit better.

onewoman74
08-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah but his ground strokes were much better than Safin today as well. All around solid performance from a guy who seems to have come out of nowhere this summer. Lets see if he can consistently produce these results.

I totally agree...he didn't for absolute winners...he kept the ball in play and struck winners at the right time

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Marat will improve. Some signs were there today. He hit some of his usual deep shots off of both wings and some great angles but would follow them up with one into the net. He's going to play in New Haven next week so we will probably see some improvement there.

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by rofe

His BH crosscourt was really good especially since he hit them off of very deep Marat Fh's and BH's. He stayed in a lot of points with that shot until Marat made a mistake.

Winston's Human
08-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Congratulations to Robby on his first Master Series semifinals!!

BlackSilver
08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
He has been playing really well this tournament but this is the biggest win. Puerta and Ferrer aren't known for their hardcourt prowess and Moya has been off of his game for a while now. Actually, I was thinking that Marat was going to go down like this sooner or later after seeing him early but was really surprised at how he blew Hrbaty off of the court. I was hoping to see Federer vs. Safin but Ginepri deserves this.

Not true. Defeating Safin in Master Series, taking off Paris, is not something rare to happen, actually is something frequent. Defeating Puerta, Ferrer and Moya together already is harder. I don't care if they are playing in hard-courts or if Moya hasn't been playing well, it's already superior. And considering that safin is coming back from a injury, defeating these three in a row is way bigger than beating Safin

hablovah19
08-19-2005, 07:41 PM
:o:o:o marat :smash:

alfonsojose
08-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Robbie :drool:

foul_dwimmerlaik
08-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Pathetic.

Oh well, that was a first try.

NYCtennisfan
Not true. Defeating Safin in Master Series, taking off Paris, is not something rare to happen, actually is something frequent. Defeating Puerta, Ferrer and Moya together already is harder. I don't care if they are playing in hard-courts or if Moya hasn't been playing well, it's already superior. And considering that safin is coming back from a injury, defeating these three in a row is way bigger than beating Safin

OK. If he beats Federer then we all know that the world is coming to an end. :)

GermanBoy
Robby :hearts:
Marat :( :sad:

Papakori
08-19-2005, 07:45 PM
woah, Robby

Jennay
08-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Ouch.

Ginepri is having a good summer.

Socket
08-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I just have this strange feeling that Marat isn't going to play the Open . . .

alfonsojose
08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I just have this strange feeling that Marat isn't going to play the Open . . .
It would be the best decision. Better rest for a good indoor season, get TMC and be ready for defend Australia

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Marat's play was substandard, but this match was won by Ginepri not lost by marat. Ginepri has improved a lot even since the earlier part of this year

roberta
08-19-2005, 07:57 PM
marat!!! :rolleyes: :o :sad: :smash: :banghead: ......noooooo!!!!!! :(

well... it doesnīt matter...... i still love you!!!! ;)
please take care of your knee!!!!!

good luck for the us open!!! (i think he will be better there...i hope.. :rolleyes: )

alfonsojose
08-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Hold me in your arms, Robbie :drool: :yeah:

bad gambler
08-19-2005, 08:19 PM
well played ginepri

K-Dog
08-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Marat was struggling with his movement BIG time today. His knee might have tightened up on him. He looked aggravated the whole match. Marat clearly wasn't all there. Robby was basically pushing the ball in and Marat was missing. Doesn't prove that Robby have more game, just made more balls today. We will see if Marat plays in New Haven and the US Open or not. He looked to be in agony today.

*Viva Chile*
08-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Pathetic Marat :smash:

Frederick16
08-19-2005, 08:31 PM
gone is the vcash haha i will never get around the 2000

shanks
08-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Good job Ginepri

Saumon
08-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Marat, you rock! :yeah: :rolleyes:

RogiFan88
08-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Perhaps Marat s not have played Cincy to completely heal his knee?? and he's still playing New Haven next week?? Is that wise? [w Marat, wise does not come into the conversation] ;)

RonE
08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Not a totally unexpected result considering Marat's current condition and his form in his first few matches. A shame since I was looking forward to a rematch between him and Federer in the semis but I guess that will have to wait for now.

Kudos to Ginepri, he seems to be taking out some fine scalps as of late. He will be no pushover for Federer that much is for sure.

gillian
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Damn you Marat!!!

LOL. My thoughts exactly. Probably just as well that he lost. He needs to rest the knee before coming to NYC.

lucashg
08-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Not a totally unexpected result considering Marat's current condition and his form in his first few matches. A shame since I was looking forward to a rematch between him and Federer in the semis but I guess that will have to wait for now.

Kudos to Ginepri, he seems to be taking out some fine scalps as of late. He will be no pushover for Federer that much is for sure.

Well said. Safin must've played really bad that first set, he seemed like he could go at least to a tiebreak as he held serve more easily, but then one game he went to space and Ginepri took over. His movement was poor, and his groundstrokes were inconsistent, to be expected considering his conditions, so not a lot to worry about except his health. He really should take next week off and rest his knee well enough for the the US Open. Unless he wants to make another early exit.

Ginepri was so solid today, and he's been for most matches this summer, having seen Roger's performance against Acasuso, I'm worried. He needs a good start of the match (that 3-0 in the first set was purely Acasuso's poor play - as was most of the match anyway). :scared:

Anyway, congrats to Ginepri!

bavaria100
08-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Well done Robby! :bigclap: :woohoo: Congratulations on reaching you first semi in a TMS event. I am soo proud of you, keep it up!

marcelwks
08-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Ginepri - top 20 is waiting for you :woohoo:

binkygirl
08-19-2005, 10:24 PM
He never had a break point and couldn't seem to return Ginepri's serve at all. He didn't seem like he was there at all.

So it was one of those matches where Marat decided not to show up mentally. I wish he wouldn't do that, it seems such a waste.

PamV
08-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Ginepri is playing first class tennis, defeating Safin was unnecessary to prove it, he defeated Puerta, Ferrer and Moya in a row, in my opinion a way bigger accomplishment

Ginepri has definitely improved and is perhaps playing better than ever right now. However, I don't feel like we truly know how much his beating those guys means. Safin's knee was bandaged and he couldn't move well. Likewise, Moya is not playing well lately.

Ginepri also beat Roddick in Indy, but Roddick had a mental melt down at the end and gave him the match. I am not putting Ginepri down, I am just saying I am not sure yet about where his level really is. I guess playing Federer will show more. I am not discounting the match at all. They've only played once before and that was back in 2001. Genepri looks like the fittest American right now.

PamV
08-19-2005, 10:42 PM
So it was one of those matches where Marat decided not to show up mentally. I wish he wouldn't do that, it seems such a waste.

I thought it was more of a physical limitation because of his knee.

PamV
08-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Very impressive from Ginepri, he has a good overall game. I dont get why the press is pimping other players from the States and not him.

Safin :crying2: I just hope he gets seeded 4th for the Open

The funny thing is that I saw Ginepri play in Indy where he actually wore a shirt with sleeves and NO hat.......he looked way better that way. He's actually got nice hair, and he should show that off some times. He had a certain Patrick Rafter quality to his face that was never evident when he wore the dumb backwards cap. He looks better with a shirt with sleeves because that broadens the look of the shoulders. He's also got to stop wearing those baggy shorts down to his knees because that makes his legs look too short.

Pheobo
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Good win for Robby! :D

But Marat :sad:

roberta
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
:ras: i donīt like ginepri!!

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 11:16 PM

He did have problems moving to his BH side and hit a lot of weak slices in the 1st set and some in the 2nd set. Ginepri played really well though. He saw that Safin was having one of those days so he just kept on putting the ball in play with good depth in the 2nd set and Safin eventually made the error. Ginepri came out attacking though and I think that set the tone.

VingaRafel
08-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes ! :yeah: :yeah: Go Ginepri :worship:
You are becoming.... HHHHHHOOOOOTTTTTT :bigclap:

PamV
08-19-2005, 11:19 PM
:ras: i donīt like ginepri!!

I am neutral on Ginepri. In the past he's acted like an idiot on court....all reaction and no thinking. However, maybe he's changed.

PamV
08-19-2005, 11:21 PM

Binkygirl......F Lopez looks like a girl in that link. NTAWWT

jacobhiggins
08-19-2005, 11:37 PM
He's *cough* overratted *cough*

1sun
08-20-2005, 12:01 AM
he is at times

Havok
08-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Woah :scared: didn't expect this at all. Way to go Marat, now I'm down to 25$ in vcash :woohoo:.

tangerine_dream
08-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Um, wow. :eek: Biggest upset of the tournament so far, yah? Well done, Robby. :bigclap:

Off to get a spanking by Roger now.

komson
08-20-2005, 04:41 AM
I have to accept that Safin isn't good enough to challenge Federer, Hewitt and Roddick, and to be in top 5. It disappoints me as one of his fans, so I won't expect anything from him anymore. :mad:

lau
08-20-2005, 04:47 AM
I have to accept that Safin isn't good enough to challenge Federer, Hewitt and Roddick, and to be in top 5. It disappoints me as one of his fans, so I won't expect anything from him anymore . :mad:
Being a Safin fan, lesson nš 1 , honey ;)
When you donīt expect anything, he wins :p
(BTW, why expecting something special from him when it`s his first tournament in weeks and he almost didnīt practise?? :shrug: I`m really thrilled he didnīt lost in 1st round!! :lol: )

komson
08-20-2005, 06:11 AM
(BTW, why expecting something special from him when it`s his first tournament in weeks and he almost didnīt practise?? :shrug: I`m really thrilled he didnīt lost in 1st round!! :lol: )

I mean his performances as a whole, not only this tournament.

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 06:18 AM

:worship: Safin is such a http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/images/smiles/spineyes.gif , dont worry if there is anyone who can turn him around its Lundgren

GermanBoy
08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
All the "Robby fans" who have never visited his forum here on this board but are there to celebrate his big wins.... :rolleyes:

bad gambler
08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
All the "Robby fans" who have never visited his forum here on this board but are there to celebrate his big wins.... :rolleyes:

no one is claiming to be a fan, just saying congratulations :shrug:

Neely
08-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Certainly a good result reaching this Masters SF for this "I have muscles but no game" Ginepri :) :p

Marat was not good in this match, but then again, on the other hand, he could have done a lot worse than a QF playing his first tournament again after his injury break.

safdem
08-20-2005, 01:11 PM
marat :crying2:

roberta
08-20-2005, 02:39 PM

soooo true!!!!!! ;)

it was his first tournament........he will be better for the us open!!!! :) ((i hope :rolleyes: )

Nimomunz
08-20-2005, 04:04 PM
overrated =playing on a bum knee against an incredibly fit ginepri whose on a roll!!
:rolleyes:

komson
08-21-2005, 08:51 AM

He will in US Open, may be 2nd round. :smash: