Nadal Nickname Thread. Let's settle this! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Nickname Thread. Let's settle this!

The Pro
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Right, time to settle this once and for all.

Hewitt = The potato. Roddick = Duck. Safin = OAF.

But we refuse to agree on a nickname for Nadal, so let's see if we can now.

Piggy? - cos apparently his high cheekbones and slightly upturned nose give hima piggish appearance.

Mowgli? - cos he kinda looks like Mowgli from the jungle book.

Weasel -used by some, but taken by Coria.

El Nino - complimentary, to do with his speed and power likening him to a 'storm'.

Sitting Bull -native american appearance.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Most players nicknames have nothing to do with their play, like you said

Hewitt - Potato
Roddick - Duck
Roger - Rabbit
Safin -Oaf

We need a poll for this, but my vote still goes to Piggy. I love it

alfonsojose
08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
DaButt :eek:

1sun
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
pig

rofe
08-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I support RonE's choice.

Regenbogen
08-19-2005, 04:13 PM
moose. except it's not a choice '_'

so i guess sitting bull

Geniey2g
08-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm feeling "El Niño".

Papakori
08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
mowgli

Castafiore
08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
You're not giving us much of a choice, The Pro.

The Weasel is already taken as a nickname, like you said so what's it doing in this poll?
Sitting Bull? Wouldn't Raging or Spanish Bull be more suitable?

Either El Nino or Mowgli. :)

RonE
08-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Everyone knows my vote :p

Right, time to settle this once and for all.

Hewitt = The potato. Roddick = Duck. Safin = OAF.

But we refuse to agree on a nickname for Nadal, so let's see if we can now.

Piggy? - cos apparently his high cheekbones and slightly upturned nose give hima piggish appearance.

And the way he tramples and scampers around the court is reminiscent of a pig running and rooting in the mud, plus his high pitched squeals and grunts.

Mowgli? - cos he kinda looks like Mowgli from the jungle book.

Too cute and too childish. Next.

Weasel -used by some, but taken by Coria.

Coria has first dibs on that plus I do not see any resemblance to a weasel neither in appearance nor in character.

El Nino - complimentary, to do with his speed and power likening him to a 'storm'.

Meh. See quoted post below by Hingie.

Sitting Bull -native american appearance.

Again, lukewarm neither here not there.

In conclusion I would like to insert a quote here from the other thread which nails the issue right on the head as to why I think "Piggy" is the perfect choice:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2172113&postcount=30
You're right, he does look like a pig. I've been thinking that since the French, and now finally someone else sees it. I like the nickname. A nickname shouldn't be too flattering. Mowgli is way too cute and flattering of a nickname for a tennis player. Like the "Duck" and "Potato," Piggy can be both cute and unflattering, so it pleases both haters and fans. It's really the best nickname for Rafael. I don't know why his fans are complaining about it. Does Federer have a nickname yet? He needs to get one that sticks. Something that can be both endearing and mean spirited, because that is what this board is.

Nikki♥
08-19-2005, 04:51 PM

:yeah:

Deivid23
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Nadal´s resemblance of a pig can only be justified from either an eye´ patology or from a sick disliking at him. Choose what u want ;)

its.like.that
08-19-2005, 05:16 PM
El Comadreja

:lol:

Castafiore
08-19-2005, 05:20 PM
On the ATP site, they call him "The Raging Bull".

http://www.atptennis.com/nadal/

I prefer that over Mowgli actually.

its.like.that
08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
:lol:

Saumon
08-19-2005, 05:34 PM
:yeah: :drool:

Gonzalo81
08-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Piggy

Castafiore
08-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Nadal´s resemblance of a pig can only be justified from either an eye´ patology or from a sick disliking at him. Choose what u want ;)
Probably a combination of both.
"And the way he tramples and scampers around the court is reminiscent of a pig running and rooting in the mud, plus his high pitched squeals and grunts."

OK, it's probably due to my lack of humour (I'll save you the time of writing this in reply) but there's nothing even remotely cute or funny about this and this is 100% nasty. :(

lucashg
08-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Piggy.

Spanish Bull and The Raging Bull are disgusting. Mowgli is too childish, and how boring is El Nino? Weasel has nothing to do with him and is taken by Coria - respect! Sitting Bull? Didn't like it.

lucashg
08-19-2005, 05:42 PM
"And the way he tramples and scampers around the court is reminiscent of a pig running and rooting in the mud, plus his high pitched squeals and grunts."

OK, it's probably due to my lack of humour (I'll save you the time of writing this in reply) but there's nothing even remotely cute or funny about this and this is 100% nasty. :(

And do you think Rabbit, Oaf, Duck and Potato have nothing nasty about it? I've also seen people call Federer as Snake, Safin as Hippo and Hewitt as Pig (he actually does like it just as much as Nadal, take a look at his profile pic at ATPTennis.com :lol: ).

pryss
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
he'll always be Fetus in my book. Or more recently, Zygote Junior...:o

adelaide
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
he'll always be Fetus in my book. Or more recently, Zygote Junior...:o
Fetus for life.

Meeek
08-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Fetus for life.

Amen to that!

Denaon
08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Alfonso's Da Butt :yeah: or Bootylicious sounds great for me :lick:

Blaze
08-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Alfonso's Da Butt :yeah: or Bootylicious sounds great for me :lick:

The first is cool but I can't see myself typing the latter all the time.
And don't all the players have one good nickname and an animal reference?

Denaon
08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
The first is cool but I can't see myself typing the latter all the time.
And don't all the players have one good nickname and an animal reference?
Well, I don't write about Nadal a lot :D.......I should use it then, B-icious or B'icious for me from now on..... :lol: I don't like animal nicknames :shrug:

Saumon
08-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Sometimes they call me Mowgli. I don't care what they call me. I don't particularly like it, but it doesn't bother me either... I'm sort of clueless about what my image is. I can't evaluate it; the people around me do that better. I always say that if there are people who take a genuine interest in me, I appreciate it with all my heart.
;)

Melissa10
08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
HAHAHA! I like Mowgli! :bounce:

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I dont understand why Rafa fans are so touchy about Piggy, every top player has an animal nickname. Atleast its better than hippo

Saumon
08-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I dont understand why Rafa fans are so touchy about Piggy, every top player has an animal nickname. Atleast its better than hippo
didnt know potatoes were animals :confused: :o ;)

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 06:46 PM
didnt know potatoes were animals :confused: :o ;)

Hewitt is an exception I guess, come to think of it why doesnt he have an animal nickname :scratch: I still think Piggy is cute, Mowgli is boring

TheBoiledEgg
08-19-2005, 07:19 PM
isnt Rafa called Fetus .............
one could well call the thread "the abortion clinic"
but that would be in bad taste :o

nermo
08-19-2005, 07:44 PM
OK, it's probably due to my lack of humour (I'll save you the time of writing this in reply) but there's nothing even remotely cute or funny about this and this is 100% nasty. posted by Castafiore

:yeah: finally, voice of reason,...
wanted to give u good reps. but have to spread some around first..

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 07:56 PM
he would look a lot like mowgli if he roamed around in his undies
but Ron got it right -- piggy fits very well

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Who started Fetus anyways? Did I steal that from TBE?

I don't like Piggy. I don't know why. It just doesn't work for me. But if it works for everybody else, so be it.

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Mowgli is too funny, piggy is kind of mean and nasty. Raging Bull is probably most complimentary but perhaps that sobriquet connotes a use of 'roids??

RonE
08-19-2005, 09:31 PM

I didn't mean it to be nasty it was just the first association that popped into my head when I saw him play. As was said before, most players have a, shall we say, less endearing nickname to them but also other nicknames too. Lleyton is the Potato to some and Rocky or Rusty to others. Roger is the Rabbit according to some and again according to others the Ninja.

Besides, most of those players have a "hunt" thread dedicated to them where people can see that player's losses on a lighter side. We have Duck Hunt, Weasel Popping, Rabbit Season, Potato Peeling and in Nadal's case Piggy Roasting.

Blaze
08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Why is piggy considered nasty?

If anything I thought it wouldd be too feminine because of the cartoon "miss Piggy".

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Why is piggy considered nasty?

If anything I thought it wouldd be too feminine because of the cartoon "miss Piggy".

:lol: I didnt even think about Ms Piggy

Scotso
08-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Can't we call him Cheeks or something?

its.like.that
08-20-2005, 02:42 AM
He is more of a bull fighter than a bull.

megadeth
08-20-2005, 04:50 AM
nadal - the lefty with the wedgie

The Pro
08-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Doh. :banghead:

And The Raging Bull, I knew I missed something. But The Raging Bull is too long and dare I say, complimentary, to catch on, while Da Butt doesn't represent everyone's tastes -impeccable as they are... :drool:

Plus there will be war if we don't end up with something pejorative.

But yeah, I'll be happy to go with whatever wins.

MariaV
08-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Alfonso's seen the light finally, yaaaaay! :yippee: :yippee:

But seriously, I also think Raging Bull is better suited than Sitting Bull, no?

Edit: Too complimentary - I don't think so, too long - may be?

Hingie
08-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry but Mowgli is a stupid nickname. Why would you give a person a nickname that is another name? That's like saying a guy named Kevin's nickname is Johnathan. People should just call him whatever they want to call him. I guess all those people who don't have a sense of humor and who love Nadal so much that he has to have a nickname that is 100% flattering can call him raging bull or (please excuse my laughter for a second) el nino or Mowgli and the rest of us who do have a sense of humor can call him Piggy or whatever. Now that we've made such a big deal about this nickname thing, everyone will know that whenever we say Piggy, Mowgli(which I still think is the dumbest nickname that you can give someone), El Nino, Raging Bull, we know that it's referring to Rafa.

TheBoiledEgg
08-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Who started Fetus anyways? Did I steal that from TBE?

it wasnt me for this one
i thought i got it from you (or was it someone else on Sid's board :o )

and talking about Piggies.......... about about turning him into a Hot Dog :rolls:

David Kenzie
08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
How about just Rafa ? I don't like any of the choices in this poll.

RonE
08-20-2005, 11:39 AM
and talking about Piggies.......... about about turning him into a Hot Dog :rolls:

Pork Chops will do just fine ;) :tape:

Bibir
08-20-2005, 12:58 PM
If Nadal is Mowgli, I want to rename Marat...TARZAN!!!!! ;)

Scotso
08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't even know what Mowgli is.

World Beater
08-20-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't even know what Mowgli is.

Have you heard of the "Jungle Book" by Rudyard Kipling?

World Beater
08-20-2005, 01:54 PM
On a related note, I think Monfils should be "puma". It suits him i think

Castafiore
08-20-2005, 01:57 PM
So, if (big IF) Rafa would be called Mowgli. Baloo the bear is kind of the mentor and big friend of Mowgli so, does that make Carlos Moya Baloo? ;)
http://www.ddshorning.dk/Billeder/640x/Baloo-Mowgli.jpg

Mowgli is not a great choice either but it sure is better than piggy.
I'm going to stick with Rafa for now, I think.

star
08-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Does Mirkaland know about this thread?

Scotso
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Have you heard of the "Jungle Book" by Rudyard Kipling?

I've heard of it.

PamV
08-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Lleyton is the Potato to some and Rocky or Rusty to others. Roger is the Rabbit according to some and again according to others the Ninja.

Besides, most of those players have a "hunt" thread dedicated to them where people can see that player's losses on a lighter side. We have Duck Hunt, Weasel Popping, Rabbit Season, Potato Peeling and in Nadal's case Piggy Roasting.

How did Hewitt get the nickname "Potato"? As for Roger, the "Rabbit" nickname doesn't suit him. A rabbit is a small scared animal that scampers about nervously. Roger is more like a Lion or Tiger. In fact some fans have called him "The Lion King" because he is a Leo and he likes cats and moves like a cat.

World Beater
08-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I've heard of it.

Mowgli is a human character who is raised in the wild. See the pic that Castfiore provided.

mallorn
08-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Mowgli - don’t think it’s too nice but it’s definitely better than Pig/gy, which is much nastier than Duck, Hippo, Rabbit or Weasel IMO.
Do you think this poll or any amount of persuasion will stop RonE at al from calling him Pig? :shrug:
By the way, I believe Marat effectively called himself a hippo in one of his interviews. I don’t think anyone else could have come up with this one! :lol:

David Kenzie
08-20-2005, 02:44 PM
By the way, I believe Marat effectively called himself a hippo in one of his interviews. I don’t think anyone else could have come up with this one! :lol:
This must be the one :
Marat Safin in Canada 2004
Q. Kind of playing off Tom's question of how are you different from when you won here in 2000? When you're here in 2002 you seemed to be fighting yourself a lot. It didn't seem like there was as much of that today. You seemed a lot more playing within yourself. Where are you in relation to where you were then?

A. I'm not fighting with myself. Oh, my God. That's how I am. You know, the story of the hippo? The hippo comes to the monkey and said, listen, I'm not a hippo. So, he paint himself like a zebra. He said but he's still a hippo. He said but look at you, you're painted like a zebra but you are a hippo. So then he goes, you know, like I want be a little parrot. So, he put the colours on him and he comes to the monkey and said but, sorry, you are a hippo. So, in the end, you know, he comes and said I'm happy to be a hippo. This is who I am. So, I have to be who I am and he's happy being a hippo.

Q. I hadn't heard that story.

A. So now you know the story. I'm happy the way I am. That's me. That's my tennis. I'm not fighting anything and I'm just trying to play and I'm trying to have fun. Sometimes I have ups, sometimes I have downs. But I'm trying, you know, to make my life easier and enjoy it and it's a difficult job. You have to also understand it's not every day, you know, it's a great time and it's sunny and you play great tennis. You have difficult times. For example, today this loss, you know, it's like you run, you run for two hours and then in the end you lose. So, it's not so difficult and it really like makes you think, you know, like, what I have to improve and how to improve and if you five losses in a row, it's also difficult.

So, you know, you have to work on yourself. Of course you get pissed, you get frustrated because you're not winning the matches but also, you know, I'm here to for the moment to be -- to be there when I'm going to win, and I want to create this moment and I'm working myself and I'm getting pissed at myself, of course, because I want to improve and I want to be better and I want to win tournaments as well as other 128 guys who are going to be in the U.S. Open and 32 guys here right now. That's life.

RonE
08-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Do you think this poll or any amount of persuasion will stop RonE at al from calling him Pig? :shrug:

No :p Just like no poll would stop other people from calling Roddick "Duck", Roger "Rabbit" etc. I don't see how Piggy is more derogatory than Weasel (Coria's nick) which insinuates sleaziness and nastiness. Or Duck for that matter- the reason people started calling Andy a duck is because someone started a thread comparing him to a duck in terms of the way he moves and his appearance. I see those same similarities when I compare Nadal to a pig. But that's just my 2 cents. If you don't like it the ignore option works wonders.

How did Hewitt get the nickname "Potato"?

In 1999 Russia played Australia in Davis Cup in Australia and Kafelnikov was bragging about how he would beat Hewitt. When Hewitt whipped him Yevgeny said the court was like "playing on a potato field" and the label has since then stuck.

Castafiore
08-20-2005, 03:34 PM
No :p Just like no poll would stop other people from calling Roddick "Duck", Roger "Rabbit" etc. I don't see how Piggy is more derogatory than Weasel (Coria's nick) which insinuates sleaziness and nastiness. Or Duck for that matter
Ducks are cute animals.
Rabbit? I don't quite understand why people call Roger Rabbit (erm...now that I see it written like that: does it have something to do with the movie 'Roger Rabbit'?) but it's not that nasty. Rabbits are cute animals as well.
What's so nasty about duck and rabbit except that it's a bit silly to compare top players with those animals?

But RonE, in an earlier post you said that you didn't mean to be nasty in calling him Pig/gy.
Come on, man. I wasn't born yesterday. How the hell is this explanation of yours not nasty?
And the way he tramples and scampers around the court is reminiscent of a pig running and rooting in the mud, plus his high pitched squeals and grunts.
:rolleyes:
Who do you think you're fooling here.

the reason people started calling Andy a duck is because someone started a thread comparing him to a duck in terms of the way he moves and his appearance. I see those same similarities when I compare Nadal to a pig.
I wouldn't compare Roddick's appearance and movement with a duck either but like somebody else mentionned: an important reason why Roddick is called Duck has to do with his last name. The step from Roddick to Duck is a small one.
The similarities of Nadal to a pig is not existant except in the minds of a couple of people who love to hate him for some reason.

Weasel? Pfff...even that animal is cute compared to a pig.
http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/ashling2aa.jpg

$@M
08-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I thought Coria is 'weasel'. I voted for 'El Nino' up there, cuz purely cuz that name suits Nadal's game, crushing like waves and unstopable, with a lil spaish accent in it. Not so sure about Mowgli, definitely not 'piggy', and 'sitting bull' ?

Saumon
08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
If Nadal is Mowgli, I want to rename Marat...TARZAN!!!!! ;)
lmao :haha:

RonE
08-20-2005, 04:09 PM
But RonE, in an earlier post you said that you didn't mean to be nasty in calling him Pig/gy.
Come on, man. I wasn't born yesterday. How the hell is this explanation of yours not nasty?

Nasty to some, funny to others. It's a matter of opinion. Again, I didn't intend it to be nasty but if it is interpreted that way I can't help that. :shrug:

Who do you think you're fooling here.

Hey, if you don't like it, like I said in another post just ignore it. The fact that so many Nadal fans are getting so riled up because of some silly nickname is pretty amazing and funny at the same time.

I wouldn't compare Roddick's appearance and movement with a duck either but like somebody else mentionned: an important reason why Roddick is called Duck has to do with his last name. The step from Roddick to Duck is a small one.

If that is the case I could also come up with a nickname which is a close derivative of the name Nadal but I won't say it because that one really IS nasty.

The similarities of Nadal to a pig is not existant except in the minds of a couple of people who love to hate him for some reason.

Explain that to all the people who have been voting for that name thus far in the poll :p

TennisLurker
08-20-2005, 04:20 PM
forever fetus

amierin
08-20-2005, 04:32 PM
I voted El Nino. I think Piggy is derogatory.

VingaRafel
08-20-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't fall for the "piggy" bullshit. You guys are trying to make it cute. There is nothing cute on calling someone "pig", because that's exactly what you are doing.

Tennis is supposed to bring exciting matches and victories for everybody. You guys are turning it into a hateful thing.

Skyward
08-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Roger is more like a Lion or Tiger.

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/11.gif is reserved for Henman. :lol:. What's wrong with piggies? They are cute and friendly to people. http://bestsmileys.com/animals/8.gif

mallorn
08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by RonE
No :p Just like no poll would stop other people from calling Roddick "Duck", Roger "Rabbit" etc.

Didn't think so, but it's worth a try! ;)

Originally Posted by RonE
Hey, if you don't like it, like I said in another post just ignore it. The fact that so many Nadal fans are getting so riled up because of some silly nickname is pretty amazing and funny at the same time.

I'm a fan but not riled up. Just don't like it and also find it derogatory, that's all. I don't want to ignore you on this account, though. :wavey:

federer express
08-20-2005, 05:25 PM
'let's settle this!'

lets not....

Chloe le Bopper
08-20-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry but Mowgli is a stupid nickname. Why would you give a person a nickname that is another name? .

Because it's common practice to do so? :shrug:

Sjengster
08-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I'd rather own a pig than a weasel.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-21-2005, 07:07 AM
i just call him Rafa, which is not even an option :(

uNIVERSE mAN
08-21-2005, 07:43 AM
we need a consensus here folks! Mowgli sounds good.

oneandonlyhsn
08-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Mowgli is :zzz: but majority rules I guess.

Skyward
08-28-2005, 12:30 AM
"A cat will look down to a man. A dog will look up to a man. But a pig will look you straight in the eye and see his equal."
Winston Churchill

"The pig is "an encyclopedic animal, a meal on legs."
Grimod de La Reynière

"But I will place this carefully fed pig
Within the crackling oven; and, I pray,
What nicer dish can e'er be given to man."
Aeschylus, ancient Greek poet

“Everything in a pig is good. What ingratitude has permitted his name to become a term of opprobrium?”
Grimod de la Reynière (1758-1838)

“'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,' said Piglet at last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?' 'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh. 'What do you say, Piglet?' 'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?' said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. 'It's the same thing,' he said.”
A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner

“(The pig) hath a fair sepulchre in the grateful stomach of the judicious epicure - and for such a tomb might be content to die.”
Charles Lamb (1775-1834)

TenHound
08-28-2005, 03:20 AM
People should call him whatever has meaning to them - whatever best conveys their experience of watching/not watching him. As long as others know to whom you're referring that's sufficient. If others don't like what you call him that's their prerogative. RonE of course is being totally disingenous, which is unfortunate. At least everyone else has the virtue of being honest. But if he thinks he's a pig, he should absolutely call him Piggy. I think he's a thug, so I call him Thuggy. This isn't the military. Far better to be able to name your own experience than follow the orders of others.

TenHound
08-28-2005, 03:26 AM
P.S. I didn't mean to imply that people should call him things that emphasize his loathsome characteristics in the space set aside for those who really like him. that would surely be rude, but this thread is in neutral territory, so those of us who won't go near a guy's tournament or tv set when he's number one, are free to express ourselves here.

jacobhiggins
08-28-2005, 04:27 AM
A couple recent articles are calling , Federer: The Maestro , Raging Bull fits Nadal pretty well!

Sugar Kane
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I thought "Mowgli" the first time I laid eyes on him :p Mowgli!

Sandra
08-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I voted Piggy coz he dous look like a Pig to me ;)