Guess who's laughing now... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guess who's laughing now...

onewoman74
08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-cincinnatimasters&prov=ap&type=lgns

It wasn't always so. Rochus, who is from Belgium, and Federer, who is from Switzerland, were teenage doubles partners. They won the Wimbledon junior doubles title in 1998.

Before that, Rochus beat him regularly.

``I remember him when we were 13 years old. He was always losing 6-0, 6-1 against everybody in the under-14 tournament,'' Rochus said.

But that was then. Federer, who just turned 24, has been No.1 in the world for 81 weeks, the seventh-longest period ever.

``We were almost laughing at him, and now he's laughing at us,'' Rochus said. ``He's No.1, easy. And really, when he was young, at the beginning, he was really bad.''

jacobhiggins
08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Federer has a tremendous learning curve, he lost his first junior match I believe 06 06, baggeld twice! He can accomplish anything in tennis, it's all up to him!

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 03:56 PM
``We were almost laughing at him, and now he's laughing at us,'' Rochus said. ``He's No.1, easy. And really, when he was young, at the beginning, he was really bad.''

Rogi :yeah: how times have changed

ae wowww
08-19-2005, 04:05 PM
What a legend :D! Inspiration for every one ;) Almost...

nermo
08-19-2005, 04:10 PM
It wasn't always so. Rochus, who is from Belgium, and Federer, who is from Switzerland, were teenage doubles partners. They won the Wimbledon junior doubles title in 1998.
Before that, Rochus beat him regularly.
``I remember him when we were 13 years old. He was always losing 6-0, 6-1 against everybody in the under-14 tournament,'' Rochus said.
But that was then. Federer, who just turned 24, has been No.1 in the world for 81 weeks, the seventh-longest period ever.
``We were almost laughing at him, and now he's laughing at us,'' Rochus said. ``He's No.1, easy. And really, when he was young, at the beginning, he was really bad.'' posted by onewoman74

:) nice post , it's amazing how a person can change all through his life,must have taken him so much work and determination.. :yeah:

BD006
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I guess that's why he said he would get really angry when he lost as a youngster. It was cos he sucked. :p

Angle Queen
08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah, what goes around comes around. I heard every flat chested joke growing up. But at almost 40 and still barely 100 lbs, I can eat, drink and be merry all I want. And what I got, still ain't much...but it ain't gone south either. ;)

As part of the comment last night, Roger mentioned that they were about the same size...and he just grew, got bigger and stronger (:secret: and better too). Keep laughin' Rog...all the way to the bank...and immortality.

Castafiore
08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
As part of the comment last night, Roger mentioned that they were about the same size...and he just grew, got bigger and stronger ( and better too). Keep laughin' Rog...all the way to the bank...and immortality.

For such a small guy, Olivier is doing fantastically well! Let's see some of the big guys get his results if they would be by miracle reduced to that heigth. :(

Angle Queen
08-19-2005, 04:45 PM
For such a small guy, Olivier is doing fantastically well! Let's see some of the big guys get his results if they would be by miracle reduced to that heigth. :(Oh agreed, Casta. Olivier's game is much bigger than his size and he verily impressed me last night.

disturb3d
08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
What a legend :D! Inspiration for every one ;) Almost...If you say so.... Pretty suspicious, actually.

ExpectedWinner
08-19-2005, 05:04 PM
No surprise. One handers bloom later.

Rex
08-19-2005, 05:38 PM
it good how he improved quickly, he must have worked really hard, all the hours on and off court- i suppose thats where the point can be made that he is not arrogent but just appreciative of all the work he has done.

Pea
08-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Under 14s. Not under 18s.

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Hmmmm....this sounds strange. We have all heard of Federer's prodigious talents so it is hard to imagine him losing to everyone in the under 14 tournies so easily, even if he wasn't mentall tough.

In any case, an interesting story.

jacobhiggins
08-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Federer was different then the young prodigies Mac, Borg, and Conners, that's why I'm so impressed about him. Federer wasn't that good, he BECAME good through practice. He was not born with this talent like a lot of people claim.

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
^I don't know jacobhiggins. I watched the BBC telecast of the Roddick/Federer final and before the match, they had this segment on Federer and showed clips of him as a youngster. One of the things that they showed amazed me. They showed a 10 or 11 year old Federer pouting and getting upset. He takes a ball out of his pocket and sends it over the net with a perfect BH, basically the same stroke that he has now.

He has worked hard on his game, even since 2003 he has improved.

1sun
08-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Federer was different then the young prodigies Mac, Borg, and Conners, that's why I'm so impressed about him. Federer wasn't that good, he BECAME good through practice. He was not born with this talent like a lot of people claim.
he was definately born with talent. it just needed more time to develop because it was such a raw talent. and remember roger was a nutcase when he was younger so that would have slowed down the development, and since hes controlled his mentality the results and talent has just poured out. and still is.

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Earlier this year, roddick said in an interview that "even as a junior, no one liked to play Roger" (he was referring to the under-18's junior tour)

Beforehand
08-20-2005, 12:35 AM
I guess that's why he said he would get really angry when he lost as a youngster. It was cos he sucked. :p
I almost spit my drink out while reading that.

Havok
08-20-2005, 12:43 AM
:lol: Cute little piece there. We can't judge everything on junior tennis results, though they're usually a pretty good indicator.

mellowyellow
08-20-2005, 04:44 AM
i was really surprised by that comment. i never thought that roger sucked before

Dirk
08-20-2005, 04:47 AM

No he had the talent from when he was young but it couldn't put it together until he became an adult.

Dirk
08-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Earlier this year, roddick said in an interview that "even as a junior, no one liked to play Roger" (he was referring to the under-18's junior tour)

Yes, I remember Roddick (who never played Roger on the juniors) saying that his friend played him once and said he was small but really smooth.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-20-2005, 05:06 AM
that was really cute

oneandonlyhsn
08-20-2005, 05:24 AM
No he had the talent from when he was young but it couldn't put it together until he became an adult.

He had talent he was just a mental case who couldn't put it together and never believed in himself

irma
08-20-2005, 06:37 AM
It's weird how one tournament can turn a mental headcase in a great champion. I hardly saw such a change before within two tournaments (french 2003/wimbledon 2003)
I guess he must have made that switch somewhere in juniors too considering he became the best junior player in the end!

Art&Soul
08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Cool, Keep laughing ROGI... :)

cleverdutchclogs
08-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I hardly saw such a change before within two tournaments (french 2003/wimbledon 2003)

He won Halle in between! Perhaps that provided him with a huge confidence boost!

Dirk
08-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Roger had won 4 titles coming into Wimbledon 03 so the year was already looking to be great one for him and was seeded 4th there. He just had a big problem with dealing with being called one of the favorites at slam events.

World Beater
08-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Sampras sucked in the juniors as he was still developing his game, whereas federer did well as a junior, but maybe not as a middle-schooler.

The fact that Sampras was able to make the transition should be more of a shocker than federer failures as a fourteen year old!

DDrago2
08-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Anyone who byes this story about Federer being bad as a boy is naive. He was probbably physicaly and mentaly weak, and he said that he didn't havet strenght in his shoulder to play his one-handed backhand properly etc., so there were those things that costed him dearly. But when he grew up this things came in place and his talents could come to scene. Roger's talents were surely obvious when he was a boy.
Maby Rochus said what he said the way he said it partialy because he is a bit... irritated? jealous?
Yeah, they were friends - but then even more so...

yanchr
08-20-2005, 04:23 PM
It's weird how one tournament can turn a mental headcase in a great champion. I hardly saw such a change before within two tournaments (french 2003/wimbledon 2003)
After Wimbledon 2003, he went back to his usual headcase :retard: until TMC RR against Agassi which I think is the real turning point...

And on watching him play a few second as a junior from some video, I actually see a bit sign of him now already...

amierin
08-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Federer's rise was as "miraculous"(sp) and as awe inspiring as Nadal's is to some. Berdych's rant about Nadal as a junior sounds just like what Rochus said about Federer as a junior.

Federer was not ordained by TPTB to become the player that he is. He worked very hard at it and has succeeded.

disturb3d
08-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Anyone who byes this story about Federer being bad as a boy is naiveNo one knows what he was like outside of tennis. But on court, he was a brat with a low temper (surprising he's not British).

Carito_90
08-20-2005, 06:16 PM
:sobbing: Poor Kid!Roger :lol: