scenarios [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

scenarios

rommel99
08-19-2005, 01:57 AM
now that marat and andy won, what are the scenarios on how one of them would get the seeded four for the us open with one more tournament next week? tnx

jtipson
08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Actually Hewitt could drop to fifth as well, although it is less likely. The problem with being seeded five of course, is that you will be drawn against one of Federer, Nadal or the other two in the quarter-finals.

Here is what each has to do this week to get a top 4 seed:

Hewitt: will be seeded top 4 if he makes the semis, or if he loses in the quarters and the final doesn't consist of Roddick beating Safin.

Roddick: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he reaches the final and loses to anybody but Safin. If he doesn't make the final, or loses to Safin there, he'll be seeded fifth.

Safin: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he is runner-up provided he doesn't lose to Roddick with Hewitt having reached semis; if Safin loses before the final he will only be seeded top 4 if Roddick fails to make the final.

rommel99
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
tnx..

jtipson
08-19-2005, 08:24 PM
With Safin losing to Ginepri it's now very simple:
1) Hewitt is assured of a top 4 seed
2) the other top 4 seed goes to Roddick if he reaches the final, otherwise Safin gets it

Socket
08-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I was very confident that he wouldn't drop to No. 5 for the Open, but :woohoo: anyway!

nkhera1
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
2) the other top 4 seed goes to Roddick if he reaches the final, otherwise Safin gets it

Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat has entered as a wildcard?

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat at entered as a wildcard?

No apparently, Safin :crying2:

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I love how you work these scenarious out!:D

Actually Hewitt could drop to fifth as well, although it is less likely. The problem with being seeded five of course, is that you will be drawn against one of Federer, Nadal or the other two in the quarter-finals.

Hewitt: will be seeded top 4 if he makes the semis, or if he loses in the quarters and the final doesn't consist of Roddick beating Safin.

Roddick: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he reaches the final and loses to anybody but Safin. If he doesn't make the final, or loses to Safin there, he'll be seeded fifth.

Safin: will be seeded top 4 if he wins, or if he is runner-up provided he doesn't lose to Roddick with Hewitt having reached semis; if Safin loses before the final he will only be seeded top 4 if Roddick fails to make the final.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 10:35 PM

I have a question for you, what if Roddick wins by defeating Ginepri?

jtipson
08-19-2005, 10:47 PM
I have a question for you, what if Roddick wins by defeating Ginepri?

Now that Safin is out, Roddick just needs to get to the final. Doesn't matter who he plays or whether he beats them.

BTW I know you didn't ask this, but if Ginepri were to win the title, he would get seeded at the USO.

nkhera1
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Is it possible for Roddick to get the number 3 seed ahead of Hewitt and if so what would he have to do?

RonE
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Does next weeks tournament change anything because I heard Marat has entered as a wildcard?

No it doesn't, as seedings for an event are made according to the entry ranking of the week prior to the event- meaning Monday's (August 22nd) ranking in this case.

jtipson
08-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Is it possible for Roddick to get the number 3 seed ahead of Hewitt and if so what would he have to do?

He has to win the title.

NYCtennisfan
08-20-2005, 02:16 AM

Thanks for this!

tennisnut
08-20-2005, 04:50 AM
roddick will be number 4 at us open.he loses 50 not 120 points.atp confirms this.olympics from last year confused this situation.

Deboogle!.
08-20-2005, 05:04 AM
roddick will be number 4 at us open.he loses 50 not 120 points.atp confirms this.olympics from last year confused this situation.But Andy didn't have enough points from the olympics for it to matter, did he? I don't understand. I trust Bob Larson, he's usually spot on with the rankings possibilities and whatnot and he says Andy has to make the final. It drove me nuts to hear PMac and Cliff tonight say about 15 times that winning the QF would put Andy #4.

Does anyone know whats going on? :lol:

nkhera1
08-21-2005, 01:35 AM
So andy is a top 4 seed for sure now right?

Merton
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Yes :D

nkhera1
08-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Yes :D

So now all he has to do is beat Federer to get a 3 seed.

Merton
08-21-2005, 01:58 AM
The #3 and 4 seed are the same. In either case he draws one of Roger/Rafa for the semifinal.

victory1
08-21-2005, 02:00 AM
The #3 and 4 seed are the same. In either case he draws one of Roger/Rafa for the semifinal.

I don't think Roddick cares about drawing Rafa in the semi, I think he would prefer him then Federer! ;)

jtipson
08-21-2005, 08:29 AM
roddick will be number 4 at us open.he loses 50 not 120 points.atp confirms this.olympics from last year confused this situation.

ATP confirms what? If they said he loses 50 then they don't know their own system (not the first time).

Roddick will lose his temporary sixth optional, which happens to be his semi-final points from Memphis, 110 points. His Olympic points didn't even count on his ranking, so although they disappear it didn't make any difference.

Now that he's into the final, he will have more points than Safin, and will therefore be number four. If he'd lost to Hewitt, he would have stayed at five.

oneandonlyhsn
08-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't think Roddick cares about drawing Rafa in the semi, I think he would prefer him then Federer! ;)

Ditto, him drawing Rafa should please Andy more than anything, I hope. Plus I want to see them paly again on HC