federer vs rochus [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

federer vs rochus

megadeth
08-19-2005, 12:20 AM
up one set and a break.

looks like he's starting to get his form back...

of course, you wouldn't expect any trouble for him from ollie anyways...

Daniel
08-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Go Roger :rocker:

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Ollie played really well in this. He was cracking the FH and BH, taking the ball early but had no chance against Fed's serve.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Ollie is so cute, no woner Fed said so. He has to be the most adorable little fluffy doll. Fed and Ollie used to play doubles, never saw them but that must have been an interesting duo.

The handshake was so cute

PamV
08-19-2005, 12:51 AM
This was a nice win for Roger because of some of the difficult shots he made and the variety. I agree Ollie is a cute fluffy doll. Roger is pretty cute himself. :worship:

lucashg
08-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Ollie is so cute, no woner Fed said so. He has to be the most adorable little fluffy doll. Fed and Ollie used to play doubles, never saw tehm but that must have been an interesting duo.

Ditto. I didn't watch the match :o, but I guess he played better. 2 DFs, but 14 aces! I wonder how many unreturned serves he had in his favor? Sounds like a close score for such a dominant serve, was Olli playing really well? Roger's returning points won percentage is really small.

Well, glad it was in straights and it was more comfortable. Good luck next round, Roger! And get better by each one! :D

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Ditto. I didn't watch the match :o, but I guess he played better. 2 DFs, but 14 aces! I wonder how many unreturned serves he had in his favor? Sounds like a close score for such a dominant serve, was Olli playing really well? Roger's returning points won percentage is really small.

Well, glad it was in straights and it was more comfortable. Good luck next round, Roger! And get better by each one! :D

I guess I should have said more than Ollies cuteness factor. Ollie played well, he has nice variety but not enough power to really force errors from Fed. Fed was having a hard time returning serve initially but after a few games he picked it up. Like PamV said Roger made some great shots today and Ollie too, he has beautiful hands.

Fed was really dominating the match, his FH was letting him down initially but he picked it up. His biggest improvemnt was the serve, against Kiwi he was averaging 112-115MPH on 1st serve today he was averaging 120-122MPH and was placing it very well. Ollie doesn't have great reach, which makes me even more curious to watch the match between him and Karlovic

Angle Queen
08-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Ollie played really well in this. He was cracking the FH and BH, taking the ball early but had no chance against Fed's serve.Agreed, NYC. Like I said in the OOP thread, both men served very well (70% for both in the first). There were plenty of nice rallies and Olivier had good depth and variety on his shots. Roger threw in a few s/v and even some chip-n-charge (Roche must be rubbing off on him. That, or playing doubles the night before ;) ).

Good quality match between these two friends but the win was never in doubt for Federer.

Gogo123
08-19-2005, 12:55 AM
The stats were good for Federer 31 winners/ 18 UE's
and 8 winners / 9 UE's for Rochus
but the commentator said that there were more forced errors that didn't enter the stats.

The one game that I saw Federer served 3 aces and one unreturnable serve.

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Seems to me the top seeds made a deal, they all played 3 sets yesterday and today they had good solid 2 sets wins :scratch:

Daniel
08-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Well done Roger :worship: :kiss:

1sun
08-19-2005, 01:00 AM
exihibtion in serving from roger, 14 aces, great varity and high 1st percentage. ollie played well, but his game really cant hurt roger. roger definately looked much better in this match than his previous ones

1sun
08-19-2005, 01:02 AM
This was a nice win for Roger because of some of the difficult shots he made and the variety. I agree Ollie is a cute fluffy doll. Roger is pretty cute himself. :worship:
pamv how cums your flag has changed to swiss?

lucashg
08-19-2005, 01:03 AM
The stats were good for Federer 31 winners/ 18 UE's
and 8 winners / 9 UE's for Rochus
but the commentator said that there were more forced errors that didn't enter the stats.

The one game that I saw Federer served 3 aces and one unreturnable serve.

Oh, nice stats! Should've watched the match, definitely. :o I missed their meeting in Miami, and now this. Thanks for posting the stats.

oneandonlysh, I agree with you that Oli has great hands, he really can do so much and can construct some beautiful points. Once he reads the serve well, I think he's able to return it well enough to a "neutral zone", so I guess Karlovic's serve isn't the hardest to read for him and he must've reached for quite enough of them to get a chance to rally with the giant, where he has a better chance to win the point. There's also a matter of serving first serves consistently, don't know about their match's stats so...

Nice to hear that Roger played some good points and they were in for some good rallies! :D

lucashg
08-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Seems to me the top seeds made a deal, they all played 3 sets yesterday and today they had good solid 2 sets wins :scratch:

I noticed that too. I hope they all have agreed to play great tennis from now on. I hope we get to see AO semis rematches, with a different outcome, of course :angel:

alexito
08-19-2005, 01:12 AM
whos is rochus? always easy draw for federer, buuuuuuuuuuuuu

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 01:14 AM
whos is rochus? always easy draw for federer, buuuuuuuuuuuuu

:zzz:

star
08-19-2005, 01:39 AM
:crying2: Ollie! :crying2:

That big ole meanie Fed beating up on sweet cute little Ollie. :fiery: :fiery:

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Roger's tennis was almost back to top level. there were some misfired forehands but the backhand and volleys really clicked! Go Roger

nobama
08-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Good job Rog! :worship: The return game isn't quite 100% but the serving was wonderful tonight. You could tell after the match how pleased he was - I even saw some smiles from him which had been missing the past fortnight. :)

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 02:04 AM
That big ole meanie Fed beating up on sweet cute little Ollie.

LOL!

PamV
08-19-2005, 02:06 AM
pamv how cums your flag has changed to swiss?
I just moved to Switzerland. Guess why?

rofe
08-19-2005, 02:12 AM

Really !! :eek:

wcr
08-19-2005, 02:18 AM

I know why. Best yogurt on the planet is from Saanen. Right next to Gstaad where Roger's known to show up and milk his cow once in awhile and play a little tennis.

wcr
08-19-2005, 02:20 AM

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/international/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3372495&d=2005

PamV
08-19-2005, 02:40 AM
I think Switzerland tops Ireland . Guess why? (Hint: It's not the yogurt)

wcr
08-19-2005, 02:48 AM

The trains run on time (well, almost)?
Clean air?
Folks there are polite?
You love Zurich?
Herzog and DeMeuron (best architects in the world even though they live in Basel)?
You like to mountain bike in the alps?
You're following Peter Sellers ghost?
Best Berliners on the planet?

PamV
08-19-2005, 02:55 AM
The trains run on time (well, almost).
Clean air?
Folks there are polite?
You love Zurich?
Herzog and DeMeuron (best architects in the world even though they live in Basel)?
You like to mountain bike in the alps?
You're following Peter Sellers ghost?
Best Berliners on the planet?

All of those. Plus I might get a job as cat nanny for Ginger Federer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/PJ2004/Tennis/GingerCat.jpg

MissMoJo
08-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Rogi. He looked good tonight, and believe he'll be even better against Jose

wcr
08-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Rogi. He looked good tonight, and believe he'll be even better against Jose

I thought so too. Found his form including those wicked backhand cross court winners.

RogiFan88
08-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Rogi will have to be better vs. Chucho.

nobama
08-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Roger, Lleyton, Andy and Marat all in the SF's of a tournament (most likely). Now that's more like it. :) We haven't seen that since AO and 2004 TMC.

Angle Queen
08-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I thought so too. Found his form including those wicked backhand cross court winners.Some were so wicked even Olivier just stood at the net and shook his head. He'd made good approach shots to come in...and Roger just fired 'em past him. Rochus's body language screamed, "That's just sick. What the heck do I have to do to win these points?" Even the TV guys were having a good laugh with it.

The match itself didn't seem all that exciting (for some reason) while I was watching it. But after having slept on it, I realized it was...a civilized match. No screaming or yelling. No grunting or throwing of rackets. Just some excellently played points by two crafty players who obviously respected each other and their respective tasks. The crowd was treated to a pleasant, if not all-too-short, evening.

Shabazza
08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Some were so wicked even Olivier just stood at the net and shook his head. He'd made good approach shots to come in...and Roger just fired 'em past him. Rochus's body language screamed, "That's just sick. What the heck do I have to do to win these points?" Even the TV guys were having a good laugh with it.

The match itself didn't seem all that exciting (for some reason) while I was watching it. But after having slept on it, I realized it was...a civilized match. No screaming or yelling. No grunting or throwing of rackets. Just some excellently played points by two crafty players who obviously respected each other and their respective tasks. The crowd was treated to a pleasant, if not all-too-short, evening.
They truely respect each other, for sure!
It just makes me even more sad that I couldn't watch it (damn evening session :( - 2am is just too late )

1sun
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
no fed haters?