US Open Wildcards [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open Wildcards

Fee
08-18-2005, 10:53 PM
US Open Men's Wild Cards Awarded To James Blake, Former Top 10 Player Mark Philippoussis, Jan-Michael Gambill and a Talented Group Of Young Americans

8/18/05 9:22 PM

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., August 18, 2005 – The USTA today announced that James Blake (Tampa, Fla.), 1998 US Open runner-up Mark Philippoussis (Australia), former Top 20 player Jan-Michael Gambill (Colbert, Wash.) and a talented group of young Americans including Brian Baker (Nashville, Tenn.), Scoville Jenkins (Atlanta), , Rajeev Ram (Carmel, Ind.), Bobby Reynolds (Acworth, Ga.) and Donald Young (Fairburn, Ga.) have been awarded men’s singles main draw wild card entries into the 2005 US Open Tennis Championships, which will be played August 29 - September 11 at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.

Baker, 20, is currently No. 197 in the ATP Entry Ranking having been sidelined twice this year with injury. In the past three weeks, he reached the semifinal of USTA Challengers in Lexington, Ky., and Binghamton, N.Y. and the second round of the US Open Series event in Washington, DC. In April, following a three-month break with a left wrist injury, he reached the final of the USTA Challenger in Tunica Resorts, Miss.

Blake, 25, is currently No. 70 in the ATP Entry Ranking, but was ranked No. 107 and missed direct acceptance at the time of the US Open entry deadline. He reached the final of the US Open Series event in Washington, D.C. two weeks ago. Last year, he finished in the Top 100 for the fourth consecutive season despite a series of injuries and illness. Blake sparked his comeback in May during the clay court season, winning consecutive USTA Challengers in Tunica Resorts, Miss., and Forest Hills, N.Y. before advancing through qualifying to reach the second round of the French Open.

Gambill, 28, is currently ranked No. 142 after finishing in the Top 100 for the seventh consecutive season last year. The winner of three ATP titles has been ranked as high as No. 14 in world. Gambill reached the quarterfinals of the ATP event in Memphis in February and the semifinals of the Granby Challenger in Canada two weeks ago. He was a member of the U.S. Davis Cup team in 1998, 2000 and 2001.

Jenkins, 18, is currently ranked a career-high No. 373 in the ATP Entry Ranking in his first full season as a professional. Last year, he made his tour-level debut at the US Open, earning a wild card as the USTA Boys’ 18s champion and lost to defending champion Andy Roddick in the first round. This year he has reached the semifinals of USTA Futures in Harlingen, Texas and Auburn, Calif., and the quarterfinals of USTA Challengers in Aptos, Calif., and Lexington, Ky.

Philippoussis, 28, is currently No. 202 in the ATP Entry Ranking. The winner of 10 ATP singles titles has been ranked as high as No. 8 in the world and reached the final at the US Open in 1998 and Wimbledon in 2003. Philippoussis has played only eight tour-level events this year due to injury with his best finish coming in June when he reached the semifinals of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.

Ram, 21, is currently No. 221 in the ATP Entry Ranking, one spot below his career-high set two weeks ago. He reached his first Challenger final at the USTA $75,000 event in Aptos this summer and reached the semifinals of the Forest Hills Grass Court Challenger and Tampa Futures. Last year, he made his Grand Slam debut at the US Open.

Reynolds, 23, is currently a career-high No. 129 in the ATP Entry Rankings following a quarterfinal finish at the US Open Series event in Washington, D.C. He began the year by qualifying for the main draw at the Australian Open, where he reached the third round. Reynolds is 10-3 on the USTA Pro Circuit this summer, reaching the final of the Lexington Challenger and the semifinals of Aptos and Binghamton.

Young, 16, currently the No. 1 junior tennis player in the world, earned his wild card by winning the 2005 USTA Boys’ 18s National Championship last weekend in Kalamazoo, Mich. He will attempt to become the youngest player to win a men’s singles match at the US Open since Michael Chang in 1987, and will be the sixth youngest boy ever to compete in the US Open. Young defeated Sam Querrey in the Kalamazoo final 7-6(4), 5-7, 6-2 to become the second African-American to win the Boys’ 18s title in the tournament’s 90-year history, joining last year’s winner Jenkins.

The US Open Men’s Singles Championship is presented by Lexus. Both the men’s and women’s US Open singles champions will earn $1.1 million with the ability to earn up to $2.2 million based on their performances in the US Open Series. In addition, both US Open singles champions will receive a 2006 Lexus GS 430 automobile.

In addition to the eight US Open men’s singles main draw wild cards, the USTA also announced the nine men who have been awarded wild card entries into the US Open Qualifying Tournament, which will be held August 23-26 at the USTA National Tennis Center.

Six of the nine qualifying wild card recipients are age19 or younger.

Players receiving US Open qualifying wild cards are: Alex Clayton (17, Bradenton, Fla.), Brendan Evans (19, Key Biscayne, Fla.), Zack Fleishman (25, Playa del Rey, Calif.), John Paul Fruttero (24, Berkeley, Calif.), Jesse Levine (17, Boca Raton, Fla.), Wayne Odesnik (19, Weston, Fla.), Sam Querrey (17, Thousand Oaks, Calif.), Travis Rettenmaier (22, Los Angeles), and Timothy Smyczek (17, Milwaukee, Wisc.).

http://www.usta.com/ustanews/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=223664&itype=949&icategoryid=163

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Somewhere, a tear rolls down a Murray trolls cheek.

Fee
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
James :woohoo:
Scoville :woohoo:
Jan-Michael :woohoo: :yippee: :banana: (and if you blow this gift, I will hunt you down and put a world of hurt on you

Zack Fleishman :woohoo:
John Paul Frutterro :woohoo:

bummer for Jeff Morrison though, bet he hopes that James gets in directly somehow...

Clara Bow
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Is this an all inclusive listing of all of the wildcards?

So no Andy Murray I guess?

Happy to see Sco make it in. and Ram. And I am happy that Donald Young got his way in by winning the under-18s in Kalamazoo so as there will be no should he/ should he not have received a WC debate. He's 16 now? They grow up so quickly.

Raquel
08-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Andy woz robbed :sad:

oneandonlyhsn
08-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Am I the only 1 who thinks Flip is going to blow his WC

Murray has recieved too many WC he needs to qualify

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Most of thre WCs will "blow" their WCs. That isn't the point.

I'm thrilled this Murray-WC stuff is over, so I can go to qualies and enjoy him without any of the whiners around :devil:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Jan Mike :woohoo:

Flip...good choice i dont think :cuckoo:

Leo
08-18-2005, 11:07 PM

And also a tear for Amer Delic being left out. Waaaah.

Saumon
08-18-2005, 11:10 PM
lmao :spit:

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:11 PM
And also a tear for Amer Delic being left out. Waaaah.
I will photograph him in qualies ;)

Clara Bow
08-18-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm inclined to think that Murray will get an entry through the qualies anyway, so he not getting a WC or no will likely be a moot point after the 26th.

Do they have the complete entry list for the qualies yet?

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Agreed. Unless he draws Adam Chadaj, of course!

stuey87
08-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I think this is a pretty good list. The USTA have got it almost right. I agree Amer Delic should be in, unless he's injured (I don't know his exact status right now) in which case obviously not.
Normally I would disagree with Young as a choice but seen as he's earned it this time that's absolutely fine.

stuey87
08-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Most of thre WCs will "blow" their WCs. That isn't the point.

I'm thrilled this Murray-WC stuff is over, so I can go to qualies and enjoy him without any of the whiners around :devil:

Hehehe, if you could get a few pictures of him in action I would be most grateful. Have a great time at the qualies :D

Fee
08-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Qualie entry list is in the tournament thread (has been for weeks). Murray will be seeded in qualies. This is all 8 of the main draw wildcards and all 9 of the qualie wildcards. :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Hehehe, if you could get a few pictures of him in action I would be most grateful. Have a great time at the qualies :D
Will do!

As long as he does't play the same time as Mahut or Chadaj :p

kundalini
08-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Glad Murray didn't get a wildcard. He got one for Cincinnati which was generous, and a bit fortunate too, and had received others at Indianapolis and Rhode Island, never mind Queens and Wimbledon.

He can fight his way through qualifying.

Glad Rajeev Ram got one.

Deboogle!.
08-18-2005, 11:25 PM
:yeah:

kundalini
08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
There comes a point when a player receives too many wildcards. And I think Monfils, Murray and Donald Young are dangerously close to that point already (if not over the line). Admittedly the Donald Young situation is complicated because he won his through his tournament victory.

Wildcards can reasonably be used as a catalyst to kick start a young player's career but too many and it gets embarrassing for all concerned, including the player.

Deboogle!.
08-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Well monfils is in the top 50 now (as a direct result of many of the WCs he received, no less - but hey he took advantage of them and won stuff), so he won't need any WCs for a while (ever?). Murray will be there soon as he keeps climbing up the rankings pretty quickly - by next year I bet he'll get into the slams directly and probably most smaller tourneys too. And Young, well, as was said, he earned this one, so no need to start that debate again over this. I'm just glad that the USTA rewarded some of the young lesser-known Americans who've been grinding it out on the circuits.

cartmancop
08-18-2005, 11:59 PM
3 ppl from GA YAY!!!!!!!!!! :)

mitalidas
08-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I think this is a pretty good list. The USTA have got it almost right. I agree Amer Delic should be in, unless he's injured (I don't know his exact status right now) in which case obviously not.
Normally I would disagree with Young as a choice but seen as he's earned it this time that's absolutely fine.
Its a fair set of names --they do have to favor the Americans, and then throw in Flip who has had good results (and I'm sure McEnroe has lobbying power, if Flip needed it). Murray could benefit from qualifying

Papakori
08-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Jan-Mike :yippee:

Duncan
08-19-2005, 12:08 AM
i predict Murray to lose in qualies.... he's too tired and needs a break!

*waits for the insults*

anyways i don't agree with Gambill and Phili getting w/c's! They shouldn't go to 28yr olds who are near the end of their careers :)

Robxon
08-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't understand why people go on about the number of WCs that Monfils/Murray have received. Was it always so?

People forget that Federer received 10 wildcards including Wimbledon and RG,
Hewitt 10, Roddick 11. Was there all this fuss over them.

They appear to be about average for top players. There are, however, three exceptions: Nadal received only 2, the US Open is at least the 16th that Blake has received and I gave up counting with Philippoussis.

Cincy was Monfils 10th WC and Murray has received 6.

stuey87
08-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Its a fair set of names --they do have to favor the Americans, and then throw in Flip who has had good results (and I'm sure McEnroe has lobbying power, if Flip needed it). Murray could benefit from qualifying

I saw McEnroe beat Flip in World Team Tennis a few weeks ago, so maybe it's pity lobbying power :lol:

Amer hasn't played for nearly a month now. I hope he's not too badly injured, whatever's wrong and still hold out hope he qualifies.

kundalini
08-19-2005, 12:57 AM
But which player is the Goran?

I suspect it might be Jan-Michael

Moderator: Questions for the new US Open Champion Jan-Michael Gambill

Q: Congratulations. This has been some fortnight for you. Did you really believe it was possible?

JMG: Not really. I entered the tournament concerned about my form. I've not had too many wins recently and it had begun to play on my mind. You know, you wonder where that next victory is going to come from. You can't play Donald Young every week. If only. Anyway, my hopes weren't that high.

Question: Roger made such a fast start. It looked for a while as though your big moment was going to be a real let down. Were you worried that it might be over in less than an hour?

JMG: It sure looked that way. He was playing brilliantly and I couldn't hit a ball in court. I was struggling to contain him. I'm not sure 6-0 was a fair reflection of the first set but he was just too good.

Question: When did you first sense he might be injured?

JMG: I think it was when he was 4-1 up in the 2nd set. He wasn't getting to shots and I was hitting winners for the first time.

Question: Were you disappointed he still took that 2nd set?

JMG: Sure. I had everything going for me and I just hit too many balls out of court. It was really disappointing to lose that set 4-6. But I kept going and gave myself a chance with the tiebreak in the third.

Question: You had served for that set twice and each time double faulted on break point down. Did you still feel you could find a way to win the set?

JMG: I've been struggling with my serve all year so it wasn't anything new. But in the tiebreak I got some good fortune with the net and I felt I had a good chance with Roger struggling with his injury.

Question: 4 Match points saved in the 4th set tiebreak. How did you do it?

JMG: I can't even remember. It was just a blur. I was struggling with my ball toss. I kept thinking - get the ball in play. Make him move

Question: By the fifth set you had rediscovered the form that took you past Andy Roddick in straight sets. Where did it come from?

JMG: I've always believed in my game and though it has been a difficult year I knew I could turn it around. And in the fifth it came together as it had against Andy. I think it took him by surprise. You know, everyone was talking about straight sets before the match and that's the way it turned out. Just it was Andy on the receiving end. I enjoyed that.

Question: So Jan-Michael do you think this is going to be the first of many?

JMG: I guess it depends if I can get any more wildcards.

stuey87
08-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Hahaha :lol: Brilliant :yeah:
"You can't play Donald Young every week. If only. Anyway, my hopes weren't that high." - A stroke of genius :)

Geniey2g
08-19-2005, 01:15 AM
lol @ all this Andy Murray hate; people saying he "doesn't deserve" a wildcard. And what, players like JM Gambill and Phillipoussis do? Give me a break, what have they done lately? At least Murray's been making a bit of noise on the Challenger circut.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong http://forums.sohh.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

propi
08-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I want a couple of those youngsters vs Tommy, Carlos, Feliciano and Juanqui :D

Daniel
08-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Gambill :yeah:

Scotso
08-19-2005, 02:49 AM
I can't argue with James, Jan-Michael, Brian, Bobby, or Donald (as much as I would like to, but it's the rules) getting a WC.

But Scoville, Rejeev, and Mark? What a bloody joke. There must be major political overtones in this decision. I'm REALLY mad that Amer Delic didn't get one, because he certainly deserves it. And I was hoping that they would get over their dislike of my Hugo and give him a WC. The biggest joke of all is Scoville getting one. Puh-leeze.

Qualifying WCs are fine. Go Brendan!

Scotso
08-19-2005, 02:51 AM
lol @ all this Andy Murray hate; people saying he "doesn't deserve" a wildcard. And what, players like JM Gambill and Phillipoussis do? Give me a break, what have they done lately? At least Murray's been making a bit of noise on the Challenger circut.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong http://forums.sohh.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

Okay I will. JMG is still a good player and still has decent results... he is inside the top 150, and even though he is capable of much more, that is certainly WC worthy.

I like Murray and wouldn't be pissed if he got a WC, but he's British and shouldn't expect one.

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 02:51 AM

its not Murray hate-- when watching the Safin match, I would have enjoyed either of them to win.
This is about equity. The young juniors from America dit not get the chance to show their stuff in Wimbledon, and who knows, could have made some surprising run like Murray did there. But Wimbledon favored the UK players, and what is the USO supposed to do --also pick foreign players?

aj_m2009
08-19-2005, 07:07 AM
I can't argue with James, Jan-Michael, Brian, Bobby, or Donald (as much as I would like to, but it's the rules) getting a WC.

But Scoville, Rejeev, and Mark? What a bloody joke. There must be major political overtones in this decision. I'm REALLY mad that Amer Delic didn't get one, because he certainly deserves it. And I was hoping that they would get over their dislike of my Hugo and give him a WC. The biggest joke of all is Scoville getting one. Puh-leeze.

Qualifying WCs are fine. Go Brendan!

Why is Sco gettin a WC a joke?! C'mon, the kid has had a good summer. He's gotten to quite a few semis and quarters in Futures and a few quarters in Challenger play. Plus he's risen over 200 spots in the rankings in about a month and a half. Saying Sco gettin a WC is a joke is just stupid.:rolleyes:

Ferrero Forever
08-19-2005, 07:17 AM
WHY DID THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT TO PHILLIPPOUSSIS? I bet it will be his fault that I'll miss out on seeing JC"s match on tv. We really don't want to see number 200 or whatever he is in the world.

Ferrero Forever
08-19-2005, 07:19 AM
I want a couple of those youngsters vs Tommy, Carlos, Feliciano and Juanqui :D
JC VS Phillippoussis would be just perfect for me! thats the only way I would like Phillippoussis to get a wildcard.

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Okay I will. JMG is still a good player and still has decent results... he is inside the top 150, and even though he is capable of much more, that is certainly WC worthy.

I like Murray and wouldn't be pissed if he got a WC, but he's British and shouldn't expect one.
And nobody should have expected him to get one, not that I didn't appreciate the laughs provided over the last few weeks.

Geniey2g
08-19-2005, 10:01 AM

Of course I didn't just expect Murray to get one- but I don't see why players like Phillipoussis did.

flip_fan
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
no i dont see why mark got one either... he needs matches badly, and qualifying was probably the best scenario for him. he has hardly played all year and certainly not to the standard he was in 2003. If he bombs out here i will be surprised if gets anymore WC offers. This will be his last chance to make something of the gifts he's been given. I hope to god he has been working hard, surely he knows the huge scrutiny he will come under if he doesnt turn things around.

as for jan-mike at least he's been trying, playing in alot of smaller tournaments ect..

I saw McEnroe beat Flip in World Team Tennis a few weeks ago, so maybe it's pity lobbying power :lol:

thats harsh, he'd only been able hit for a couple days before he got the call up to play, because of his ankle injury from wimbledon... i dont think he took the match all too serious...

stuey87
08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
no i dont see why mark got one either... he needs matches badly, and qualifying was probably the best scenario for him. he has hardly played all year and certainly not to the standard he was in 2003. If he bombs out here i will be surprised if gets anymore WC offers. This will be his last chance to make something of the gifts he's been given. I hope to god he has been working hard, surely he knows the huge scrutiny he will come under if he doesnt turn things around.

as for jan-mike at least he's been trying, playing in alot of smaller tournaments ect..

thats harsh, he'd only been able hit for a couple days before he got the call up to play, because of his ankle injury from wimbledon... i dont think he took the match all too serious...

He does need to deliver this time or as you say that'll probably be that in terms of big tournament WCs.
I was only having a laugh about the WTT, I know he wasn't fully fit and I wasn't pretending to judge his form by looking at his results in a format where letcords are still played for instance :p

Whistleway
08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Good to see Ram on the list :yeah:

Experimentee
08-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Mark is the least deserving of a WC. He's done nothing to prove he should get one, sure he was a finalist once but that was a lifetime ago. When he cant even qualify for Indianapolis he has no business being in the main draw here.

Nimomunz
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
flip will just waste it and yes i think its a pity WC

Geniey2g
08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
flip will just waste it and yes i think its a pity WC
The voice of reason!
and thanks for the rep ;)

Angle Queen
08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
i predict Murray to lose in qualies.... he's too tired and needs a break!

*waits for the insults*

anyways i don't agree with Gambill and Phili getting w/c's! They shouldn't go to 28yr olds who are near the end of their careers :)No insults here but I think WCs should be for the young, the old and the injured.

Tell me, if Pistol Pete rang them up and said, hey, I'd like to give it one more shot...how fast do you think they'd say, "Can we book your hotel for you?"

Seriously, I think the USTA did a nice job with this year's list. If these guys really felt going through the qualifiers would benefit them, I suppose they could refuse the direct-entry. Let's hope they all use their opportunity well, even if in a losing effort. There's something to be learned from every match.

Scotso
08-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Why is Sco gettin a WC a joke?! C'mon, the kid has had a good summer. He's gotten to quite a few semis and quarters in Futures and a few quarters in Challenger play. Plus he's risen over 200 spots in the rankings in about a month and a half. Saying Sco gettin a WC is a joke is just stupid.:rolleyes:

yeah because anyone who gets to a few semis in futures events deserves a WC?

dude, look at his ranking.

aj_m2009
08-20-2005, 04:32 AM
yeah because anyone who gets to a few semis in futures events deserves a WC?

dude, look at his ranking.

Dude, I know his ranking, I mean cmon, I slightly do run a site for the guy. Thats exactly why I strongly believe he deserves the WC he got, cos I know exactly whats happened lately. And u notice how u just happen to include pretty much the least impressive thing I listed? As I said, his ranking has also risen over 200 spots in the last 6 weeks. I dunno bout u but I find that pretty impressive.

Fee
08-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Okay, before you two come to fisticuffs over this, let me suggest you are looking at this from the wrong angle. Its not about ranking, or recent records. Its about the USTA's preference, pure and simple. The USTA has invested money in all of these young guys, so perhaps they looked for a return on their investment as one of the factors. Let's face it, because Sco is Black he can be marketed to an audience that the USTA wants to draw to tennis. He is also a 'team player' and is willing to work with the USTA at events and such.

Bobby Reynolds has some name recognition because of his Aus Open success. Brian Baker is still on their list, and he's young, so I can see why he got one despite his problems this year. The toss up was between Amer and Rajeev, who seem similar in so many ways. Can't even guess how they made that decision. But I'd bet there was some politics involved, as with most things.

As for JMG, well he's almost always done whatever was asked of him, he came up through the USTA system, and he if called in every favor he had coming to get this, so be it. Flip, well, he's a former finalist and he's must have found some way to convince them he still cared about tennis. Personally, I would have given his to someone else unless he was willing to take a treadmill test to prove his fitness (but that's just me). :D

Angle Queen
08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Hmmm...let's have a quick update on how the USTA's selections are doing.

So far...we have JMG going down in three straight to Massu 7-6(4), 6-2, 6-3. Brian Baker pulling off the huge upset of Gaudio -- 7-6(9), 6-2, 6-4. And poor Bobby had the hard luck draw again Nadal. He's already down a break in the first.

aj_m2009
08-29-2005, 07:28 PM
...And poor Bobby had the hard luck draw again Nadal. He's already down a break in the first.

And down 2-5 in the 2nd.

Geniey2g
08-30-2005, 12:37 AM
And down 2-5 in the 2nd.
Well he lost. The wildcards are 1:2 so far :rolleyes:

aj_m2009
08-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Sco actually won after saving 2 MP!:D

Fee
08-30-2005, 02:43 AM
The parts of that match that I saw, Sco was playing really well except for one brainfart game that he had where he bricked an incredibly easy overhead. I swear he's put on muscle since I saw him in Aptos at the end of July. Took a few pictures of him, I'll see how they turn out.

Did anybody think that JMG was going to beat Massu? Please....

aj_m2009
08-30-2005, 02:48 AM
The parts of that match that I saw, Sco was playing really well except for one brainfart game that he had where he bricked an incredibly easy overhead. I swear he's put on muscle since I saw him in Aptos at the end of July. Took a few pictures of him, I'll see how they turn out.

Unfortunately all I we got to see on tv was the very end of the match when Sco was up like 3-1 or whatever in the 5th set tie-break. But from there he was lookin pretty good!

Did anybody think that JMG was going to beat Massu? Please....

At the beginning of the match I thought JMG had a chance but after the tie-break it was like "there aint any way he's coming back now".

Geniey2g
08-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Sco actually won after saving 2 MP!:D
Excellent!! I knew he won after looking like he was gonna lose, but I didn't know it was after saving 2 MP! :bigclap: Well done to him, and I hope to see his next match :yeah:

aj_m2009
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Excellent!! I knew he won after looking like he was gonna lose, but I didn't know it was after saving 2 MP! :bigclap: Well done to him, and I hope to see his next match :yeah:

Yeah he was down 15-40 at 4-5 in the 5th! And I imagine just about everyone'll get to see it since he plays Nadal next.

Geniey2g
08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
*cough* Mark Philippoussis what a load of crap *cough*

kundalini
08-31-2005, 09:32 PM
So the youngsters delivered where the draw gave them a chance, and generally put on a decent show.

And the out of form, out of shape, were less than impressive and failed to win even 1 set.

While the in form, in shape, James Blake looks a decent bet for a good run in the tournament.

Congratulations to those who deserve them - Blake, Scoville Jenkins, Brian Baker

Hard luck - Rajeev Ram, Bobby Reynolds (tough draw)

Good luck in the Challenger circuit - Mark P and JMG

As for Donald, I hope his confidence can cope with being destroyed time and time again.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 02:02 AM
So the youngsters delivered where the draw gave them a chance, and generally put on a decent show.

And the out of form, out of shape, were less than impressive and failed to win even 1 set.

While the in form, in shape, James Blake looks a decent bet for a good run in the tournament.

Congratulations to those who deserve them - Blake, Scoville Jenkins, Brian Baker

Hard luck - Rajeev Ram, Bobby Reynolds (tough draw)

Good luck in the Challenger circuit - Mark P and JMG

As for Donald, I hope his confidence can cope with being destroyed time and time again.
:yeah:

Young is another one who needs to take his ass to the Challengers. 7 Tour level losses and 0 challenger level activity??

smucav
09-01-2005, 02:24 AM

Hard luck - Rajeev Ram, Bobby Reynolds (tough draw)Two women wild cards (Perry & Glatch) also won first round matches. Glatch is 15.

Two out of two wild card doubles teams that played today won first round matches:
Kuznetsov/Oudsema
Delic/Morrison (d. (5) Paes/Zimonjic)

At least one more will win a first round match since Baker/Ram face Jenkins/Reynolds in the first round.

kundalini
09-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Brian Baker struggled in his 2nd round match against Malisse losing in 4 sets after taking the first on a tiebreak.

31 winners to 56 unforced errors.

But this has been a big week for him; and hopefully a catalyst for a breakthrough next year.

Scoville also put in a great display against Nadal in the 2nd round, losing in 3 sets. He should now be in position to obtain the funding he needs to develop his game so that he can break into the top 100 in the next couple of years.

So despite his relatively low ranking, Scoville was a great choice for a wildcard.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 08:03 PM
So despite his relatively low ranking, Scoville was a great choice for a wildcard.
Totally agree.

What a great match against Rafa yesterday, Scoville has plenty of talent and lots of potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how he's progressed in a year's time.

And at least Baker put up a good fight.

aj_m2009
09-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Sco and Bobby have advanced in the doubles, beating Baker and Ram 6-1 3-6 6-3.:)

Angle Queen
09-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Here's a final roundup:

Blake
1R Blake d. Rusedski[28] 7-5, 7-6(3), 6-3
2R Blake d. Andreev 6-2, 6-2, 6-4
3R Blake d. Nadal[2] 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4R Blake d. Robredo 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3
Q Agassi d. Blake 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(6)

Baker
1R Baker d. Gaudio[9] 7-6(9), 6-2, 6-4
2R Malisse d. Baker 6(5)-7, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4

Gambill
1R Massu d. Jan-Michael Gambill 7-6(4), 6-2, 6-3

Jenkins
1R Jenkins d. Bastl 7-6(4), 6-0, 6(1)-7, 4-6, 7-6(5)
2R Nadal[2] d. Jenkins 6-4, 7-5, 6-4

Philippoussis
1R Kucera d. Philippoussis 6-4, 6-2, 7-5

Ram
1R Wawrinka d. Ram 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(6), 6(2)-7, 7-5

Reynolds
1R Nadal[2] d. Reynolds 6-3, 6-3, 6-4

Young
1R Galimberti d. Young 7-6(4), 6-1, 6-2

and just in case all those first round losses are disheartening, here's one to keep things in perspective:

Roddick
1R Muller d. Roddick[3] 7-6(4), 7-6(8), 7-6(1)

I also find it interesting that Nadal was mixed up with three of the wildcards...defeating Reynolds in 1R and Jenkins in 2R before losing to Blake in 3R.

Fee
09-16-2005, 05:13 PM
You mean Jenkins in the 2nd rnd (for Nadal, your comment at the end). :D

This year's class looks to have done better than last year's class, if I remember correctly. At least the US will get an AO spot for Flip's WC. JMG needs to use the next two months to get his ass in gear. I prefer to believe there is still some good tennis in him.

Experimentee
09-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I dont think the US will geet an AO WC. There was no formal exchange, the US just gave Flip a WC because he was a big name who reached the final before.

Angle Queen
09-16-2005, 06:29 PM
You mean Jenkins in the 2nd rnd (for Nadal, your comment at the end). :DOops...sorry Fee. Good catch. I was in a hurry to get to lunch.

smucav
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
I dont think the US will geet an AO WC. There was no formal exchange, the US just gave Flip a WC because he was a big name who reached the final before.Swap secured Scud wildcard:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2211633&postcount=29

Scotso
09-17-2005, 02:12 AM
I hope a decent American player gets it.

Amer :hearts:

Experimentee
09-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Grrr so an American will get an Aussie WC, and in return we get Scud's crappy showing at the US Open :mad: :rolleyes:

Grinder
09-17-2005, 05:32 PM
It will probably go to Mardy Fish if he's healthy.

Geniey2g
09-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Here's a final roundup:

Blake
1R Blake d. Rusedski[28] 7-5, 7-6(3), 6-3
2R Blake d. Andreev 6-2, 6-2, 6-4
3R Blake d. Nadal[2] 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4R Blake d. Robredo 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3
Q Agassi d. Blake 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(6)

Baker
1R Baker d. Gaudio[9] 7-6(9), 6-2, 6-4
2R Malisse d. Baker 6(5)-7, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4

Gambill
1R Massu d. Jan-Michael Gambill 7-6(4), 6-2, 6-3

Jenkins
1R Jenkins d. Bastl 7-6(4), 6-0, 6(1)-7, 4-6, 7-6(5)
2R Nadal[2] d. Jenkins 6-4, 7-5, 6-4

Philippoussis
1R Kucera d. Philippoussis 6-4, 6-2, 7-5

Ram
1R Wawrinka d. Ram 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(6), 6(2)-7, 7-5

Reynolds
1R Nadal[2] d. Reynolds 6-3, 6-3, 6-4

Young
1R Galimberti d. Young 7-6(4), 6-1, 6-2

and just in case all those first round losses are disheartening, here's one to keep things in perspective:

Roddick
1R Muller d. Roddick[3] 7-6(4), 7-6(8), 7-6(1)

I also find it interesting that Nadal was mixed up with three of the wildcards...defeating Reynolds in 1R and Jenkins in 2R before losing to Blake in 3R.
:woohoo: JAMES!!