Defending champ OAF withdraws from China Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Defending champ OAF withdraws from China Open

Tennis Fool
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Reigning champion Safin withdraws from China Open

BEIJING (Reuters) - Defending champion Marat Safin will miss next month's China Open after missing the entry deadline, organizers said on Thursday.

French Open winner Rafael Nadal heads a quality field at the $1.1 million tournament in Beijing.

Fellow Spaniards Carlos Moya and Juan Carlos Ferrero will also appear along with Argentine Guillermo Coria. The men's event takes place from September 12 to 19, immediately after the U.S. Open.

The women's tournament begins the week after and involves five of the world's top 10 players.

World number one Lindsay Davenport, Russians Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova, as well as Serena and Venus Williams are all scheduled to take part.

Serena won the inaugural tournament last year.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 11:06 am

JustmeUK
08-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Well Marat really needs some time to sort his knee out once and for all. If this helps him heal I'm all for it.

Havok
08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
All the $ in the world says that one Williams sister pulls out.;) Anyways that field is hardly "quality". When we have to list Moya and Ferrero as your next biggest stars after #2 Nadal is a bit sad :tape:. Should still be a good event though, tennis in China is rocking ;rocker:.

Five
08-19-2005, 02:31 AM
the title of this thread :haha:

cleverdutchclogs
08-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Can't he ask for a wildcard or something?

lucashg
08-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Nadal is probably gonna win it, then. Unless Moya, Ferrero and Coria start playing their best tennis again. Coria does it with some consistence, but the other two unfortunately not these days.

Is this tournament outdoors or indoors? And is it played in the same week as Bangkok?

mitalidas
08-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Nadal is probably gonna win it, then. Unless Moya, Ferrero and Coria start playing their best tennis again.

I have renewed belief in JCF after watching the quality of his tennis last night

Leo
08-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Certainly not all of those top women will be there.

With Safin out, Youzhny should build on his finals appearance from last year. ;)

NYCtennisfan
08-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Nadal will go deep into the USO and I highly doubt that he will take a trip to China right afterwards to play there.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-19-2005, 03:25 AM
Why the hell is Nadal playing in this tournament? his optionals are full.

Fee
08-19-2005, 03:39 AM
You can't 'withdraw' from a tournament you never entered... Yes, Marat can still ask for a wildcard if he decides he wants to play here.

jtipson
08-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Why the hell is Nadal playing in this tournament? his optionals are full.

They aren't really, he has six optionals to fill until Paris Bercy. So he could gain 115 entry points by winning in Beijing.

However, I don't think he will play. He may be on the official entry list, but he doesn't have this tournament on his website schedule.

With regard to Safin, I understood the owners of this tournament have changed and he was renegotiating his contract. Perhaps they just failed to reach an agreement, or he'll get a wildcard when they do eventually.