worst ever from safin? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

worst ever from safin?

federer express
08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
that was one of the crappest performances i have ever seen!

still beat murray quite comfortably in the end though, 6-4 1-6 6-1

CassL
08-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Sadly, I have to agree with you. That was definitely the worst performance I have ever seen from Marat.

World Beater
08-17-2005, 10:53 PM
tad embarassing. Murray is good, but he shouldn't be giving safin breadsticks

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 10:57 PM
A most pathetic performance by Safin especially in the 2nd set, some of those errors were :eek: He got through and what matters is the big W beside his name. Davai Marat :rocker2:

Tennis_Mad
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Maybe Marat was complacent and over-confident?

Does seem like all the top guys are having trouble this week.

federer express
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
and murray...can he do much besides keeping the ball in play? get some upper body strength!!

World Beater
08-17-2005, 10:59 PM
and murray...can he do much besides keeping the ball in play? get some upper body strength!!

Forget the upper body strength. He needs to work on them legs first. If he starts cramping, it doesn't matter how big his pectorals are!

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Forget the upper body strength. He needs to work on them legs first. If he starts cramping, it doesn't matter how big his pectorals are!

as someone else said in another thread, you would struggle to find a weaker guy of his age. he was physically done by the end of the second set...pathetic!

RonE
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM

Had you seen Federer's match today you may well have change your mind about that...

Raquel
08-17-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't think Andy played very well either. Definitely not as good as last night against Dent. Safin @ 40% v Murray @ 70% = a 3 set error fest, with Safin just too good at the end.

Andy definitely does need to work on his fitness. In fairness he has played 6 straight weeks and played 3 matches on Saturday/Sunday to win the Challenger in Binghampton, flew to Ohio, played Monday against a player on a higher level in terms of experience/ranking and then playing Safin he started looking very tired. It was also a problem for him at Queens and Wimbledon though. I think in the off season he will work hard on the fitness and training. The rest of this season is gravy. Next year is when he has to prove he's not a good rookie but can rise through the tour and compete.

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't think Andy played very well either. Definitely not as good as last night against Dent. Safin @ 40% v Murray @ 70% = a 3 set error fest, with Safin just too good at the end.

Andy definitely does need to work on his fitness. In fairness he has played 6 straight weeks and played 3 matches on Saturday/Sunday to win the Challenger in Binghampton, flew to Ohio, played Monday against a player on a higher level in terms of experience/ranking and then playing Safin he started looking very tired. It was also a problem for him at Queens and Wimbledon though. I think in the off season he will work hard on the fitness and training. The rest of this season is gravy. Next year is when he has to prove he's not a good rookie but can rise through the tour and compete.

good points. except for comparing today's match to his performance against dent. taylor dent is the perfect match-up for murray. andy doesn't have the necessary physical attributes to beat top baseliners at the moment, so his best chance is against someone like dent.

in the off-season he needs some serious work in the gym!!

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Had you seen Federer's match today you may well have change your mind about that...

i saw it. still thought he was better than marat today.

RonE
08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
i saw it. still thought he was better than marat today.

OK, I take it back. In this case I'm glad I didn't see Marat's match :scared:

Bibir
08-17-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm glad too. :scared:

tall_one
08-17-2005, 11:22 PM
you have obviously missed some of Marat's other embarassing performances if you can say that. Besides the guy is coming back from injury, what were you expecting?

Effka
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Was it really THAT bad?
How the hell did Murray have to play then ? ;)

Anyway, we shouldn’t be judging the winner, and a guy who’s playing against medical advice with still some sore in his knee, especially if it's Marat. We all know how fussy he can be even without any injury. I'm both happy and shocked that he actually seems like wanting to make a good result in Cincy.

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
you have obviously missed some of Marat's other embarassing performances if you can say that. Besides the guy is coming back from injury, what were you expecting?

i didn't see him beat hernych but he must have played better than this. he had more than 15 unforced errors in the second set which he lost 6-1. i have seen him lose some bad matches before but this was piss poor!! awful!!!

the good news is he will get better :)

Bibir
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
the good news is he will get better :)
OUF!

ys
08-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Comfortable win.. Who cares...

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Comfortable win.. Who cares...

true. was just questioning if he has ever played a worse match...in his whole life!

lau
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I though he was used to Federer when he created the thread. :p But as I didn´t watch the match I shut up :lol:

federer express
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
I though he was used to Federer when he created the thread. :p But as I didn´t watch the match I shut up :lol:

as a safin fan it was painful to watch. but at least he won!

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
as someone else said in another thread, you would struggle to find a weaker guy of his age. he was physically done by the end of the second set...pathetic!

Maybe if he stopped fist pumping, screaming and jumping up and about after every point he would have more left in the tank

Raquel
08-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Maybe if he stopped fist pumping, screaming and jumping up and about after every point he would have more left in the tank
He didn't do any of that today or last night. He admitted in an interview that he was a bit over the top at Wimbledon. He's been a lot more focused since and quieter on court.

disturb3d
08-18-2005, 12:21 AM
and murray...can he do much besides keeping the ball in play? get some upper body strength!!Roger has less muscle-mass than any other player in the top 50. And he can blast a ball in any direction.

Hitting the ball hard is about coordinating your swing, not tensing your muscles.

PamV
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Roger has less muscle-mass than any other player in the top 50. And he can blast a ball in any direction.

Hitting the ball hard is about coordinating your swing, not tensing your muscles.

I think Federer strings his racquets loose though which creates more power.

They said Nadal strings loose too.

federer express
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Roger has less muscle-mass than any other player in the top 50. And he can blast a ball in any direction.

not everyone can time the ball like federer. some need greater physical strength. and anyway, federer probably has a strong right arm!

gooner88
08-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Watching that match reminded me so much of the Nalbo-Murray match at Wimbledon.
Murray didin't have to do too much to win the 2nd set with Safin hitting all those UE's.
Murray played it smart and just got enough balls back into play until Safin messed it up.
Once Safin got it together in the 3rd there was only gonna be one winner.

federer express
08-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Watching that match reminded me so much of the Nalbo-Murray match at Wimbledon.
Murray didin't have to do too much to win the 2nd set with Safin hitting all those UE's.
Murray played it smart and just got enough balls back into play until Safin messed it up.
Once Safin got it together in the 3rd there was only gonna be one winner.

exactly right! :)

alelysafina
08-18-2005, 12:28 AM
not everyone can time the ball like federer. some need greater physical strength. and anyway, federer probably has a strong right arm!

I remember the commentators saying something about feds having really strong wrists.

Jennay
08-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Marat has just come back from injury, throw him a bone.

mangoes
08-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I say it was a typical safin match.

His mind was in it, then his mind left the match, then it returned and he won the third set.

What is so unique about this performance?????

federer express
08-18-2005, 12:38 AM

His mind was in it, then his mind left the match, then it returned and he won the third set.

it was awful!!!! did you watch the second set? and the first for that matter.

ys
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Next match is crucial. If Marat wins, Roddick will need to reach the finals to pass Marat in the USO seeding list.

mangoes
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM

I'm no expert, but I've always thought, given Roger's flexibility, his training was similar to those of dancers. They don't build muscles, but strengthen their muscles...............................I don't know if that makes sense the way I'm explaining this so don't rip me apart please.

I once dated a dancer and his work out routine wasn't about getting more muscles, but strengthening them and remaining cut of course. He had that slim build like Roger, but he was very strong, more so than the built guys I've dated.

mangoes
08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
it was awful!!!! did you watch the second set? and the first for that matter.

I watched the whole thing, looking up and down from my desk. I wasn't that perturbed. I consider Safin an extremely gifted player, but you only see his talent when his mind is in the game. There were moments, like the third set when he knew he had to take care of business when his mind returned to the match, and he took care of business. And as for the second set, his mind was never in the match in that second set......................and having witnessed his mind lapses on several occasions, typical match from safin.

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Marat has just come back from injury, throw him a bone.
i wont throw him a bone i'll give it so him however way he wants :devil:

Tennis Fool
08-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Answer to thread question: No. I didn't see the AO2002 final, but I hear that was pretty bad. In fact, there are many (x Nth) matches you could put above this one (win or lose).

PamV
08-18-2005, 02:19 AM

I didn't see the 2nd set. For him to lose that 1-6 sounds like he was resting for a bit. He dominated in the 3rd set.

mitalidas
08-18-2005, 02:20 AM
worst EVER? marat has lost matches for giving so little effort he was asked to stop
this was just another bad match

gillian
08-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Gulp! How bad was it?

Crystal702
08-18-2005, 03:39 AM
Not nearly as bad as it could have been. Say, a loss, maybe??

Give the guy a break! The second set was riddled with unforced errors. Nothing too entirely new when it comes to Marat. And, yes, Federer's match was just as bad to watch!:retard:

That's my two cents....

Since he's first up tomorrow with a 11am start, I'll more than likely follow the match via the scoreboard (oh, the horror!) unless it runs over to 3 sets. I don't have enough nails to bite for that, though.

RogiFan88
08-18-2005, 03:43 AM
I didn't see either match but surely Rogi was worse than Marat... his 2nd UGLY win this week... how many more can he [or his fans] take? Blahhhhh...

Tennis Fool
08-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Gulp! How bad was it?
How bad? Oaf's been fined for tanking at a Slam--only player ever to have been so.

Experimentee
08-18-2005, 03:47 AM
Answer to thread question: No. I didn't see the AO2002 final, but I hear that was pretty bad. In fact, there are many (x Nth) matches you could put above this one (win or lose).

Safin did not play that bad in the AO final, you must be crazy to compare that match to this, and you arent really qualified to assume things if you didnt see the match in the first place :retard:

jacobhiggins
08-18-2005, 04:51 AM
Safin was playing Safin tennis, not suprising at all, but he's really gonna have to pick up his game!

~EMiLiTA~
08-18-2005, 09:45 AM
gawd... :scared: glad i didn't see it

and next up is one of his bogey men, hrbaty... :scared:

iced gem
08-18-2005, 10:25 AM
It was pretty bad in the first two sets - but he is very rusty so what can you expect?! He stepped it up a notch in the third though.
He is really going to struggle against Hrbaty if he plays like that.
Go Marat!

kundalini
08-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Safin did enough to win.

Sure he played a lot of truly awful tennis. But he also played some decent tennis too.

There have been matches in previous years when he has played consistent rubbish and gone out to players who did little more than get the ball back a few times.

So not even in his worst 10 performances.

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
the third set was quite nice it went by quite fast

boliviana
08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
he's in a groove now . . . just bageled Hrbaty in under 30 minutes!!

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 08:49 PM
was this match any better

Tennis Fool
08-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Safin did not play that bad in the AO final, you must be crazy to compare that match to this, and you arent really qualified to assume things if you didnt see the match in the first place :retard:
I guess you are qualified to tell me what I'm not qualified to say :p

Anyway, your opinion is the minority.