Talent (abilities) vs. Mentality (strength) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Talent (abilities) vs. Mentality (strength)

Denaon
08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm extremely tired of reading posts about "overrating" players.
I think that losing because of some mentality weakness does not allow us to label any player as crap (or anything else bad).
I openly dislike those less talented players that make their way in the tourneys and rankings without any other shot than a massive serve, strong mentality and some help (ue, df and so) from our beloved chokers :D

Talent is unique and priceless.:hearts: Enjoy it :yeah:

alelysafina
08-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Yes, talent is all good, and we all like it, but when you've got a guy whom you know can be a great revolutionary genius in the sport of tennis, but he's losing every other match because of his mentality, you really have to start giving those players who do have mentality their due respect.

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Tennis is largly mental, so it seems silly to me to not respect those who have mastered that part of the game :)

Denaon
08-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Tennis is largly mental, so it seems silly to me to not respect those who have mastered that part of the game :)
I agree, and as a matter of fact I respect them, I just don't like them. However I think that Tennis is not all about being perfect in the mentality department...... I mean, how disrespectful is to say that Marat, Nalbandian or Henman are overrated coz they are not as mentally strong as some other players?

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree, and as a matter of fact I respect them, I just don't like them. However I think that Tennis is not all about being perfect in the mentality department...... I mean, how disrespectful is to say that Marat, Nalbandian or Henman are overrated coz they are not as mentally strong as some other players?
Well, it depends on why they are being called overrated. I find the "overrated" threads stupid too, but they are mainly a consequence of pissed of betters who continue to bet on guys that they have no respect for... presumably so that they have something to whine about later.

ys
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Basically, the game talent is multidimensional, just like a mental talent is mutildinesional either.

For instance, if you'd only watch last two Australian Open of Safin and never saw him play anything else, you would have concluded that the guy is a mental rock..

Apparently , Safin has some aspects of mental talentin which he is extraordinarily strong. And in some aspects he is as brittle as soap bubble..

The thing is .. that opposite to common belief, I do not think that that weakeness hurts Marat really much.. Yes, he bombs from tuneups now and then because of that problem, but the only thing that suffers is his results in those tuneup and therefore his rankings .. But who cares about rankings.. As to the thing that matters, Grand Slams, that is, there were only 2 GS matches to my memory that, I think, costed him.. I.e., you could say he lost them because of a mental fragility in a tournament that he had very good chance of winning otherwise. Lost to Ferrero at RG-2002. Loss to Johansson in the AO final. OK..He could have played better against Sampras in 2001 too.. Perhaps.. In all other GS tournaments, if his game was there, he pretty much delievered, so mental part didn't play much of a role..

Other than that, if you think that someone can win multiple and different GSs without a combination of talent/mentality, you are probably wrong.. :)

nermo
08-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, i think, Tennis in most of times depends on mentality,and i don't see how is this not considered an ability, ...having a tennis talent is very nice and gives us the viewers fun , but imagine if a person has talent without mental strength that saves him in Big shots or who loses temper easily? we'll end up with chokers,or with having disappointing results..cuz simply having talent + mental strength =consistent good results ..and a relaxed person sure takes more logical decisions than a paniced person with talent ..it's an ability and a gift..to manage stress..
as for those depending on defensive playing more than aggressive, i said my humble opinion in a thread before, defense in tennis requires patience and good control, it's not an easy thing and finally all good defensive players take their chances at a certain time of the match to win big shots,otherwise, it's non sense...
as for those totally depending on big serve :well, i don't see its equal to mental strength , in any way..and i don't like this style of playing, cuz i think this is not talent ..serve offers big opportunity ,but doing nothing except serving aces ..gives me the most boring tennis match to watch,..
all in all, for the poll: i surely 'd like my favorites to have both:talent and mental strength :cool: :)

tall_one
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
give me shotmaking and artistry! :banana: I will happily deal with stupid 1st round loses when it means i also get to see shots that take my breath away and temper tantrums that make me laugh. Watching Marat lose is nearly as entertaining as watching him win sometimes lol