What is wrong with Fed [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is wrong with Fed

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I know he is rusty, bleh bleh but he really looks like shit, not into the match, serving at 115MPH 1st serves :eek: and he cant do anything. To quote Escude Bilbo's http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0032.gif could beat him at this point

rofe
08-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I know he is rusty, bleh bleh but he really looks like shit, not into the match. Cant do anything to quote Escude Bilbo's http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0032.gif could beat him at this point

Patience my dear.

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Patience my dear.
agreed stuff like this should only come when the match is over!

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
The reason I put this up, is he has no firepower whatsoever. 1st serve is at 113mph :eek: Serena can hit harder than that. And he isnt showing any fight

Dirk
08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
One you need to chill with the pessimism.

Dirk
08-17-2005, 08:24 PM
NOTHING IS FUCKING WRONG WITH NINJA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dragon has awakened. :worship:

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 08:49 PM
just so you know fed was broken more times in this match than in the entire wimby fortnight!!!

WF4EVER
08-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I think he lost his favorite razor. He really disn't seem interested at all, but Fed, you really shouldn't look bad and play badly at the same time.

nobama
Well he's certainly proving he's human and won't always play well. But another scrappy match...I don't know how many of these can he get a way with. He seemed positive in his after match interview, so hopefully he can pick it up tomorrow. But he certainly hasn't found his stride yet.

oneandonlyhsn
just so you know fed was broken more times in this match than in the entire wimby fortnight!!!

Well his 1st serves are averaging 115MPH what do you expect? He has no confidence, and his timing is so off. I just dont get it, Roger and Marat are such talents but it doesnt take much to get their confidence low.

ROger won, phew now Marat plz :scared:

nobama
08-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Lleyton Hewitt struggled against Rusedski today too. I really think the lack of match play is hurting these guys. And at events like this you don't have many chances to ease your way into the tournament. Roger got lucky so far because his opponents just sucked a little bit more than he did. I think he's benefiting from a pretty easy dray (at least his quarter). The top players are usually able to pull it off even when they're not playing well and Fed's no exception.

Blaze
08-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Fed and kiefer matches are always a breakfest so I kind of expected it.

mickymouse
08-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's relationship problems. Mirka doesn't seem interested in him anymore. She's either playing on her cell phone or reading a magazine during his matches.

mitalidas
08-17-2005, 09:01 PM
has it really come to this-- citing bigmouth brad's stats now.
that was grass, on which he had not lost a match for 3 years, and had just won a tuneup
this is hard, where he has progressed ONCE beyond the first round, and has just come back from 5 weeks off

disturb3d
08-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Roger is the type of player that brings to the table only enough to defeat the opponent.
That's why you see every player taking a good 3-4 games off him each set.

nobama
08-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Maybe it's relationship problems. Mirka doesn't seem interested in him anymore. She's either playing on her cell phone or reading a magazine during his matches.Well if she wasn't interested why is she with him in Cincy? Just to collect her paycheck? :lol: And if I had to sit through a match like this I'd probably be doing something else too. In fact I should've been doing something else...nothing like wasting two hours watching crappy tennis. :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Did I hear right did Fed just call Rochus a cute player ;)

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Any idea why Kiefer is giving Roger a couple of problems in Wimbly and now here?
I did see most of the Wimbly match but can't see the ones in Cincy :fiery:

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Any idea why Kiefer is giving Roger a couple of problems in Wimbly and now here?
I did see most of the Wimbly match but can't see the ones in Cincy :fiery:

Well Kiwi is annoying as hell, and he irritates a lot of players. Those staredowns are just :scared: he gave those to Agassi too, the nerve of that fruit ;)

Castafiore
Did he?
Why?

mitalidas
Did I hear right did Fed just call Rochus a cute player ;) yeah he did. He said it in the context of rochus being "small" and cute though--meant well

RonE
Simply awful match- from Federer somewhat understandable because of the long break but still downright putrid. That first set especially was disastrous.

But Kiefer put in his fair share of shocking tennis when he was given the opportunity. In fact, Federer is really lucky he played Kiefer who is prone to choke and allow him back to the match otherwise it could very well have been a straight sets loss.

One other thing were the line calls- I haven't seen such appaling line calling in a long time- don't they sell eyeglasses in Ohio???

In short, not a match to be remember by any stretch of the imagination :rolleyes:

The upside is that Roger having won two matches while playing subpar has shown some glimpses of his true self in the third set (despite losing serve while swerving for it which has become an annoying habit!), and every match he plays he will improve ever so slightly. So long as he is in the tournament he still has a good shot, and hey for the first time in his carreer he has won back to back matches in Cincinnati- a true milestone! :p

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Well Kiwi is annoying as hell, and he irritates a lot of players. Those staredowns are just :scared: he gave those to Agassi too, the nerve of that fruit ;)
I love a good staredown now and again.

And the real tennis answer is?

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
One other thing were the line calls- I haven't seen such appaling line calling in a long time- don't they sell eyeglasses in Ohio???

and hey for the first time in his carreer he has won back to back matches in Cincinnati- a true milestone! :p

Ditto and ditto :D

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
yeah he did. He said it in the context of rochus being "small" and cute though--meant well

Sounds a bit condescending but I'm sure Roger does not mean it like that.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:12 PM
I love a good staredown now and again.

And the real tennis answer is?

Unfortunately for Kiwi the staredowns only work in the WTA for Serena :lol:

Seleshfan
08-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Did he?
Why?

He did call Rochus cute, and the reason is obvious. Rochus is just an adorable little tennis player. Everytime I see him play, I just want to pick him up and give him an eskimo kiss. I thought I was the only one, but apparently Roger does too.

Castafiore
Unfortunately for Kiwi the staredowns only work in the WTA for Serena

OK, so you don't know the answer.

Next...seriously, what is doing Kiefer to get so many breaks against Fed?

oneandonlyhsn
Sounds a bit condescending but I'm sure Roger does not mean it like that.

I guess I should have written more, he said that Rochus is cute, come on admit even you think that he is cute. Dont you just want to hug him :hearts:

nobama
08-17-2005, 09:16 PM
I did see most of the Wimbly match but can't see the ones in Cincy :fiery:I could've given Roger trouble today and I rarely play myself. :lol:

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:16 PM
OK, so you don't know the answer.

Next...seriously, what is doing Kiefer to get so many breaks against Fed?

net game I think, he has great hands at the net. He seems to do that very well against Roger mainly

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I guess I should have written more, he said that Rochus is cute, come on admit even you think that he is cute. Dont you just want to hug him :hearts:
LOL

I'm curious what Ollie has to say about it. He must be sick and tired talking about his 'height'
Both the smurfs and Rochus come from my country but come on, Rochus is not a cute toy. :sad: He's tennis player, dammit.

net game I think, he has great hands at the net. He seems to do that very well against Roger mainly
ah, thanks.

I could've given Roger trouble today and I rarely play myself.
OK, so let me rephrase: why did he take a set from Roger in Wimbly in your opinion (the only one who could do it)? Is it only because Roger plays badly or is Kiefer actually more than lucky and doing something right?

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 09:22 PM
He did call Rochus cute, and the reason is obvious. Rochus is just an adorable little tennis player. Everytime I see him play, I just want to pick him up and give him an eskimo kiss. I thought I was the only one, but apparently Roger does too.

LOL! He did play pretty good in the last set though. All in all, he didn't look too enthusiastic out there. Once he cut down the errors, it was very tough to win a game off of him. He will pick it up. He sucked all the way through Montreal last year and then played a brilliant match against Roddick. Maybe he will start playing better.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
OK, so let me rephrase: why did he take a set from Roger in your opinion (the only one who could do it)? Is it only because Roger plays badly or is Kiefer actually more than lucky and doing something right?

Well even though the question wasnt directe at me I'll take a crack at it, for some reason Kiwi always gives Roger trouble. Then again Roger has troble with serve and volley players. Kiwi implements this a lot when he plays agaisnt Roger.

Today however, Roger was just :retard: in the 1st set his timing was so shitty, and his serve was just awful 114MPH is not going to cut it for you Fed, not in the ATP. Maybe he thought he was playing someone from the WTA today who knows. Anyway, Kiefer played good in the 1st set, not great but good. Fed played the bigger points better in the last 2 sets I guess

Roger The Great
08-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure how many people remember at this point, but Fed played like garbage all the way through the Toronto Masters event last year. He really struggled against pretty much everyone (except Roddick) yet managed to squeak through and win the tournament. So I wouldn't be suprised if he still finds a way to win this tournament. And really, all that matters is winning the matches no matter how he plays.

Roger The Great
08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
LOL! He did play pretty good in the last set though. All in all, he didn't look too enthusiastic out there. Once he cut down the errors, it was very tough to win a game off of him. He will pick it up. He sucked all the way through Montreal last year and then played a brilliant match against Roddick. Maybe he will start playing better.

You beat me to it. Well done. :)

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure how many people remember at this point, but Fed played like garbage all the way through the Toronto Masters event last year. He really struggled against pretty much everyone (except Roddick) yet managed to squeak through and win the tournament. So I wouldn't be suprised if he still finds a way to win this tournament. And really, all that matters is winning the matches no matter how he plays.

I hope so, the only difference is he was very tired last year this year he is coming back from injury and a long layoff. Anyway, as long as he gets the big fat W beside his name I'll take it. But step it up Fed

rofe
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I could've given Roger trouble today and I rarely play myself. :lol:

Um, I don't think so. Roger would probably beat you 6-0, 6-0 even if he played you like he did today.

I knew it would be an ugly win and it was. No problems for me unlike some of you so called Fed fans. :p

He takes longer to get back into matches after a long layoff or a surface change. That is just the way it is. He almost lost the match 1st round Halle but the key word here is "almost". He has such incredible confidence in his match closing abilities that he somehow finds a way out. That is why I don't take too kindly to hypothetical situations of what if he had met Berdych in the 1st round. It did not happen so lets just move on to the next round.

I think he was serving at that slow speed today because he wanted to cut down on double faults. He probably realized that in a baseline rally he had a better chance than Kiwi so he probably concentrated a lot more on his ground strokes than his serve game.

Everyone and his/her mother knows that Kiwi is a choke job so Fed probably took it more as a practice game and played like it was a match only on the big points. ;)

He, unfortunately for his fans, only seems to improve incrementally with each game so against Ollie I see one good and one bad set from him in his two set win.

From the QF onwards, I expect him to raise his level because he will realize at that point that he has a good chance of winning Cincy.

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
A couple of interesting things of note for Roger in Cincy. He has hit more errors than winners in both matches and he has been outaced in both matches.

1. I can't remember the last time he hit more errors than winners in back-to-back matches on hardcourts. I think he did it once on clay this year but that's to be expected on clay.

2. I can't remember the last time someone outaced him anywhere. Now its happened wtice in a row.

He doesn't look good out there but he still has won the matches. He has a pretty easy road to the final if Safin loses. He will play Rochus, Acasuso/Horna, then maybe Safin.

rofe
08-17-2005, 09:43 PM

I don't think he likes the humid, hot conditions at Cincy. No amount of practice in Dubai will change that. He can get used to it but he will never like it. If the conditions are always at the back of his mind, he will not play like he wants to. I think the key thing for him is to block that out of his mind. If he goes deep in this tournament (which I think he will), he will be able to block it next time around.

star
08-17-2005, 09:47 PM

Roger :worship: :worship:

He's got very good taste in players. :)

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 09:50 PM
:( oh man, I hope Rochus is able to show how cute he can play tennis out there (wishful thinking, I know). He's not a fluffy toy. ;)

nkhera1
08-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Well even though the question wasnt directe at me I'll take a crack at it, for some reason Kiwi always gives Roger trouble. Then again Roger has troble with serve and volley players. Kiwi implements this a lot when he plays agaisnt Roger.

Today however, Roger was just :retard: in the 1st set his timing was so shitty, and his serve was just awful 114MPH is not going to cut it for you Fed, not in the ATP. Maybe he thought he was playing someone from the WTA today who knows. Anyway, Kiefer played good in the 1st set, not great but good. Fed played the bigger points better in the last 2 sets I guess

Federer's average serve can range anywhere from 115 to 120 (mostly in the 117-118 range) so I don't see what was so bad about that. Besides I would rather place my serve well and sacrafice those few mph. Also Federer was off since Wimbledon if he started playing well immedietely then half the tour should think of retiring

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Federer's average serve can range anywhere from 115 to 120 (mostly in the 117-118 range) so I don't see what was so bad about that. Besides I would rather place my serve well and sacrafice those few mph. Also Federer was off since Wimbledon if he started playing well immedietely then half the tour should think of retiring

Not its not that he only started serving over 120MPH in the 3rd set, his serve wasnt only slow but it didnt have the variation either. I think it has more to do with confidence than anything. I hope playing doubles will get him back to song

1. I can't remember the last time he hit more errors than winners in back-to-back matches on hardcourts. I think he did it once on clay this year but that's to be expected on clay.

He had more winners than errors in both matches but not by much

2. I can't remember the last time someone outaced him anywhere. Now its happened wtice in a row.

Yeah he said the things that give him the most trouble after a long layoff is his timing and ability to return serve

nobama
08-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Safin's down 0-4 in the second set. :retard: Ok I don't feel so bad about Rogi now. :lol:

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Safin's down 0-4 in the second set. :retard: Ok I don't feel so bad about Rogi now. :lol:

Safin :crying2:

1sun
08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
A couple of interesting things of note for Roger in Cincy. He has hit more errors than winners in both matches and he has been outaced in both matches.

He doesn't look good out there but he still has won the matches. He has a pretty easy road to the final if Safin loses. He will play Rochus, Acasuso/Horna, then maybe Safin.
im pretty sure in both matchs roger hit more winnners than errors

wcr
08-17-2005, 10:15 PM

Yes I remember the way Federer played last year in Toronto. Perhaps it was because he'd just won back-to-back titles (7 days apart) on grass (Wimbledon) and then clay (Gstaad). Then he goes on to win the hard court title (Toronto). No wonder he went out in the first round of Cincy against Hrbaty last year. He was exhausted and should have cancelled the tournament altogether. He regrouped in time for the USO title.

star
08-17-2005, 10:15 PM
It's crazy the way Fed fans flip out when he loses a set or doesn't play well.

I agree with the poster who says that Federer is the kind of player who normally plays just well enough to win. There are a few players he likes to pull out the stops against, but normally he only turns up the jets when he has to, and then he wins. Sampras played just the same way, and he did ok for himself.

nobama
08-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't think he likes the humid, hot conditions at Cincy. No amount of practice in Dubai will change that. He can get used to it but he will never like it. If the conditions are always at the back of his mind, he will not play like he wants to. I think the key thing for him is to block that out of his mind. If he goes deep in this tournament (which I think he will), he will be able to block it next time around.Ok, I'm confused, before the match Gilbert said that he talked to Roger and Roger said something about how he likes it hot better and that it was too cool on Monday night. :confused:

nobama
08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
im pretty sure in both matchs roger hit more winnners than errorsWell he did against, Blake but not sure in this match. Either way, way to many UE's.

Skyward
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Ok, I'm confused, before the match Gilbert said that he talked to Roger and Roger said something about how he likes it hot better and that it was too cool on Monday night. :confused:

You never know who Gilbert is going to coach next year. He could tell him that he likes to play in the North Pole. :lol:

wcr
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
It's crazy the way Fed fans flip out when he loses a set or doesn't play well.

Sure is. Makes you wonder if they're really his fans at all.

I agree with the poster who says that Federer is the kind of player who normally plays just well enough to win. There are a few players he likes to pull out the stops against, but normally he only turns up the jets when he has to, and then he wins. Sampras played just the same way, and he did ok for himself.

Sampras went about his matches full well knowing his serve would never let him down and he'd just wait for the opportunity to get the break. One break per set is all he needed. And, if he had to, he'd pull it out in a tiebreak. Best serve in tennis.

The live Federer matches I've attended I can say that Roger was never casual about any point. He played like he wanted to win every single one. I never had the sense his opponent would win a game or a set until the ball bounced twice.

Now that he's hit tennis middle-age at 24, perhaps he'll coast a bit more like Sampras did around the same time.

propi
08-17-2005, 10:26 PM
So much drama lovers here... he's winning matches and still people complain.
Get over it he's human, he has good and bad days as anyother person in the planet ;)

Seleshfan
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
So much drama lovers here... he's winning matches and still people complain.
Get over it he's human, he has good and bad days as anyother person in the planet ;)

Well...there really is no proof that he's human. Some have claimed, that he's a cybernetic organism sent from the future to annihilate a certain tennis player's career, so that this player will retire, and go into the study of nanotechnology which will lead to the creation of the advanced supercomputer which is responsible for creating Roger and sending him back. If this is true, Roger is not allowed to have bad days.

P.S. Coming to a tourney near you, Roger - The Tennisator.

star
08-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Sure is. Makes you wonder if they're really his fans at all.

Sampras went about his matches full well knowing his serve would never let him down and he'd just wait for the opportunity to get the break. One break per set is all he needed. And, if he had to, he'd pull it out in a tiebreak. Best serve in tennis.

The live Federer matches I've attended I can say that Roger was never casual about any point. He played like he wanted to win every single one. I never had the sense his opponent would win a game or a set until the ball bounced twice.

Now that he's hit tennis middle-age at 24, perhaps he'll coast a bit more like Sampras did around the same time.

oh my goodness. I've seen Federer play as if he were half asleep. You might want to check out one of his matches against Moya.

Sjengster
08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
He was broken seven times during Wimbledon and four times in this match, so that claim on the first page is nonsense. I understand people who complain that Federer fans get too hysterical about his poor performances, but this was several levels below poor, especially the first set. I honestly think if he'd been playing someone who could sustain their level of play for more than a few games per set (ie, not Kiefer), he'd have been dumped out. Of course, that's the tradeoff with Kiefer - you're going to get chances because of his mental lapses, but at the same time he'll go through red-hot, untouchable passages of play. It's his ability to hit big returns and forcing shots that puts fear into Federer and makes him play so tentatively, the same thing happened during parts of their Wimbledon match.

rofe
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Ok, I'm confused, before the match Gilbert said that he talked to Roger and Roger said something about how he likes it hot better and that it was too cool on Monday night. :confused:

First of all it is Gilbert we are talking about here. Secondly, I used humid before hot (maybe I should have emphasized it) so what I was saying is that Roger does not like that combination and in that order at least as far as I can tell.

Raquel
08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Roger did not play his best today but it just goes to show what a high standard he has set for himself the last couple of years when not playing well in a 3 set, 2nd round match of a non-Slam is getting discussed. Roger's determination is not as obvious as Lleyton's or Rafael's but he has inner determination that gets him through when he's not playing well. I'm glad he won and gets to play another match in build up to the US Open.

PamV
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Well of course we'd like him to be playing better and looking like a magician on the court right now. However, often times he's been like this in opening rounds. To expect him to be like the Ninja Master every time he plays would be unrealistic. Let's just hope for the best.

I think Safin looks pretty scary right now even though he went to 3 sets. I am not sure about Hewitt and Roddick as I haven't seen them play yet.

rofe
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
He was broken seven times during Wimbledon and four times in this match, so that claim on the first page is nonsense. I understand people who complain that Federer fans get too hysterical about his poor performances, but this was several levels below poor, especially the first set. I honestly think if he'd been playing someone who could sustain their level of play for more than a few games per set (ie, not Kiefer), he'd have been dumped out. Of course, that's the tradeoff with Kiefer - you're going to get chances because of his mental lapses, but at the same time he'll go through red-hot, untouchable passages of play. It's his ability to hit big returns and forcing shots that puts fear into Federer and makes him play so tentatively, the same thing happened during parts of their Wimbledon match.

It is interesting that you say that since Kiefer has "tested" Fed but hasn't won a match this year. Fed, in my opinion plays a high risk game because he raises his level based on who he is playing. So, if that player plays very differently than how Fed perceives it, it suddenly becomes harder for Fed to tighten the screws. That is why he has this tendency to lose to good players he has seldom played before.

Today, he was fully aware that he would get his chances against Kiefer as did I but he couldn't control his own game effectively. I remember when he had close matches against Ivan this year and everyone was saying that it was only a matter of time before Ivan would win one. It never happened.

PamV
08-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Everyone and his/her mother knows that Kiwi is a choke job so Fed probably took it more as a practice game and played like it was a match only on the big points. ;)

ITA. I think Roger makes some loose errors when he feels pretty sure he's going to win and feels that he can break back etc. Today he was up two breaks and then lost serve. Maybe he tried something tricky that he wouldn't do other wise because he knew it didn't matter.

PamV
08-18-2005, 02:43 AM

It's hot in the day and cool at night. Also Roger doesn't see as well at night.

PamV
08-18-2005, 02:45 AM

Keifer was #3 in the world at one time. He's still pretty good & did well in the USOpen series last year.

nobama
08-18-2005, 03:05 AM
ITA. I think Roger makes some loose errors when he feels pretty sure he's going to win and feels that he can break back etc. Today he was up two breaks and then lost serve. Maybe he tried something tricky that he wouldn't do other wise because he knew it didn't matter.:lol: I like that you're trying to find the positives, but Roger did not allow himself to get broken near the end of the thrid because he knew he had that insurance break. The plain truth is he still was shaky in the third set and still was not hitting the ball that cleanly. He just hasn't quite found it yet. Hopefully he'll play better tomorrow. Do we know if it's a day or night match?

World Beater
08-18-2005, 03:10 AM
oh my goodness. I've seen Federer play as if he were half asleep. You might want to check out one of his matches against Moya.

Unfortunately for moya, fed doesn't need to be awake in order to beat him.

oneandonlyhsn
08-18-2005, 03:20 AM
:lol: I like that you're trying to find the positives, but Roger did not allow himself to get broken near the end of the thrid because he knew he had that insurance break. The plain truth is he still was shaky in the third set and still was not hitting the ball that cleanly. He just hasn't quite found it yet. Hopefully he'll play better tomorrow. Do we know if it's a day or night match?

Its a night match, Roger leads H2H 1-0 but Ollie is in very good form. Hope he doesnt treat him as cute tomorrow.

PamV
08-18-2005, 03:35 AM
:lol: I like that you're trying to find the positives, but Roger did not allow himself to get broken near the end of the thrid because he knew he had that insurance break. The plain truth is he still was shaky in the third set and still was not hitting the ball that cleanly. He just hasn't quite found it yet. Hopefully he'll play better tomorrow. Do we know if it's a day or night match?

He said he didn't have the rhythm going yet. Is he going to play tomorrow already? I am pretty hopeful he will play well against Rochus. I think the matches will be getting a lot tougher after that. I wonder about Acasuso.

BlackSilver
08-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Federer will be fine, he will continue to win even playing with lots of ups and downs at least until the final stages.

I can't remember the last time someone outaced him anywhere. Now its happened wtice in a row.

Ivan did it, Safin can have done this in Halle

RogiFan88
08-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Acasuso or Horna could give Rogi a hard time IF he makes the QF. Hopefully he now has enough matchplay to do just that -- still be playing on Friday. ;)

wcr
08-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Acasuso or Horna could give Rogi a hard time IF he makes the QF. Hopefully he now has enough matchplay to do just that -- still be playing on Friday. ;)

Horna? Saw him beat F-LO at IW in 2004. Horna was out there fighting for a paycheck. F-LO was distracted by his own good looks and the silly task of running down a lot of balls Horna was throwing at him.

Horna? I just can't imagine Roger losing to Horna on hardcourts.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Federer%2C+Roger&player2=horna

jacobhiggins
08-18-2005, 04:41 AM
Roger's game is the most precise game in the game ....you got that right? When he's on, he's unbeatable, but when it's a little off, the precision of his shots are off, therefore he misses a lot of shots and has lots of errors. It's high risk tennis! Most other players have a very conistant shot selection and game, but Federer's precision play (when on) pushes him to the next level that no one can reach! But when you take almost a month off, it's not going to be there!

rofe
08-18-2005, 04:51 AM

Neither will give him any problems. Acasuso plays tennis as if he is relaxing and sipping a margarita and Horna? Horna who? Unless he f**ks up big time (which he won't) he will sail to the semi-finals.

Semi-finals is where the real challenge begins.

NYCtennisfan
08-18-2005, 05:21 AM
Sooner or later Federer will find his rhythm. When he is out os sync, he gives up way too many easy points every game, even on his own serve, but especially on return. When he starts findiing his rhythm, like he did in the 3rd set against Kiwi, he gives up nothing. It makes taking a game from him very difficult. Two fo the games that Kiwi held in that set Federer had break point.

NYCtennisfan
08-18-2005, 05:24 AM
It is interesting that you say that since Kiefer has "tested" Fed but hasn't won a match this year. Fed, in my opinion plays a high risk game because he raises his level based on who he is playing. So, if that player plays very differently than how Fed perceives it, it suddenly becomes harder for Fed to tighten the screws. That is why he has this tendency to lose to good players he has seldom played before.

Today, he was fully aware that he would get his chances against Kiefer as did I but he couldn't control his own game effectively. I remember when he had close matches against Ivan this year and everyone was saying that it was only a matter of time before Ivan would win one. It never happened.

Good point here. Fed almost always serves his best against the best servers because he knows that he will not get as many opportunites to break.

Puschkin
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I have not seen Roger's matches in Cincy, but obviously he is not playing his best. Maybe it looks even worse than it is, because we still have the Wimbledon final in our heads.

Becarina
08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
he just needs to get his groove back...he will be fine

yanchr
08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I actually find him a lot better in the 3rd set (I didn't watch the 1st set luckily) so I believe he will get improved each match. Don't get too worried pls.

Shabazza
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
I actually find him a lot better in the 3rd set (I didn't watch the 1st set luckily) so I believe he will get improved each match. Don't get too worried pls.
Dittto!!

TheMightyFed
08-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I have not seen Roger's matches in Cincy, but obviously he is not playing his best. Maybe it looks even worse than it is, because we still have the Wimbledon final in our heads.
You're right, we remain on a dream image, and for him it's a little "back to reality", from his 3rd crown in his favorite tournament to post-holiday Cincinnati. As he said himself, I found him hesitant between attack and defense, a bit out of position sometimes because of that. He lacks play and thus lacks fire that goes with confidence. Now when the big names are around and his self-esteem in stake, he will be ready for sure... but overall he doesn't play that crappy, I would love to have his current game !! We jsut expect beautiful strokes from him, but I was still happy to find again his net-attacks, his aces at key points and all that stuff that are his trademark...

RogiFan88
08-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Neither will give him any problems. Acasuso plays tennis as if he is relaxing and sipping a margarita and Horna? Horna who? Unless he f**ks up big time (which he won't) he will sail to the semi-finals.

Semi-finals is where the real challenge begins.

Horna who?? Don't let George hear you say such things. :p

We'll see... Rogi hasn't even made the QF yet...

Acasuso, I know he's a lower-ranked Argie, could have done some damage to Rogi at the USO in R1 a couple of years ago but retired w some dumb injury... no doubt it happened cos he spends far too much time at the beach instead of training hard... :p ;)

oneandonlyhsn
08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Horna who?? Don't let George hear you say such things. :p

We'll see... Rogi hasn't even made the QF yet...

Acasuso, I know he's a lower-ranked Argie, could have done some damage to Rogi at the USO in R1 a couple of years ago but retired w some dumb injury... no doubt it happened cos he spends far too much time at the beach instead of training hard... :p ;)

:lol: Chucho is capable of so much, when he is paying attention he can make anyone look like a total clown on the court

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe it's relationship problems. Mirka doesn't seem interested in him anymore. She's either playing on her cell phone or reading a magazine during his matches.
:lol: true! but constsnt winning must be geting boring for her!

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
has it really come to this-- citing bigmouth brad's stats now.
that was grass, on which he had not lost a match for 3 years, and had just won a tuneup
this is hard, where he has progressed ONCE beyond the first round, and has just come back from 5 weeks off
dont get all defensive on me aissh you need a chill pill!

rofe
08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
its true isnt it so dont get all defensive on me aissh you need a chill pill!

By the way Nimomunz, :topic: I was trying to rack my brains to figure out where I heard your sig and I got it now - Terry Hatcher says that to Seinfeld in a very funny episode of "Seinfeld". :D

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
By the way Nimomunz, :topic: I was trying to rack my brains to figure out where I heard your sig and I got it now - Terry Hatcher says that to Seinfeld in a very funny episode of "Seinfeld". :D
the first the only person to actually get it! good rep just for that!!

tangerine_dream
08-18-2005, 04:27 PM
I find it odd that many of you are writing off Roger's chances of winning a few matches here, let alone winning the tournament. Just because he's rusty and has a bad record here doesn't mean he won't do well here. He's looked rusty and out of it before but has managed to pull himself together when he has to (see last year's TMS Canada matches when he looked like he got hit by a bus on the way to court). And I'm sure he is desperate to end his awful Cincy run and usually when Roger becomes single-minded about improving something, he does it (see his improved backhand; see also his French Open run this year).

Experimentee
08-18-2005, 04:40 PM
What is with people acting like Federer is playing the worst tennis in the world jsut because he is losing sets? At least he is winning these matches, and Blake and Kiefer are no pushovers on this surface. What about giving the opponents some credit? It seems that is never done when Federer is involved anymore. If hes playing as bad as some of you say he is, he would have lost to Blake and Kiefer!

RogiFan88
08-18-2005, 06:10 PM
"(see last year's TMS Canada matches when he looked like he got hit by a bus on the way to court)" -- Tangerine Dream

I wouldn't go THAT far...

wcr
08-18-2005, 06:22 PM

Have you ever attended one of Roger's matches and seen Mirka in the stands? She sends text messages on a Blackberry. She's been doing this since the Blackberry hit the market. Maybe she's sending reports to Tony Roche? Maybe she's sending reports to Lynette Federer? Maybe she's taking care of Roger? You're perfectly welcome to think ill of her activities if it suits you. There's no evidence that it bothers Roger.

nobama
08-18-2005, 09:58 PM
What is with people acting like Federer is playing the worst tennis in the world jsut because he is losing sets? At least he is winning these matches, and Blake and Kiefer are no pushovers on this surface. What about giving the opponents some credit? It seems that is never done when Federer is involved anymore. If hes playing as bad as some of you say he is, he would have lost to Blake and Kiefer!I watched the match agains Kiefer and I'm sorry but Kiefer wasn't playing great tennis. That's why I was frustrated with Rog more than anything. Blake played better, but the Kiefer match was for the most part just horrible tennis from both sides. Marat and Lleyton raised their games today and won pretty easy (although it looks like they got some help from their opponents), so hopefully Roger can put in a better performance tonight.

Daniel
08-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Roger :kiss: :worship:

nobama
08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Have you ever attended one of Roger's matches and seen Mirka in the stands? She sends text messages on a Blackberry. She's been doing this since the Blackberry hit the market. Maybe she's sending reports to Tony Roche? Maybe she's sending reports to Lynette Federer? Maybe she's taking care of Roger? You're perfectly welcome to think ill of her activities if it suits you. There's no evidence that it bothers Roger.Yeah they showed her the other night and it certainly was not a cell phone she was playing with. You're probably right - she could be sending updates to team Fed since Roche isn't here and neither is his mother.

lunahielo
08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
mirkaland~I think she keeping stats.

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 11:28 PM
why bother when they are other people doing the exact same thing

rofe
08-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I watched the match agains Kiefer and I'm sorry but Kiefer wasn't playing great tennis. That's why I was frustrated with Rog more than anything. Blake played better, but the Kiefer match was for the most part just horrible tennis from both sides. Marat and Lleyton raised their games today and won pretty easy (although it looks like they got some help from their opponents), so hopefully Roger can put in a better performance tonight.

Just to cause you more grief, I am going to say that the 1st set will be an ugly win for Fed but expect the 2nd set to be a lot cleaner. So, expect some more heartburn. :D

Oh, and he will win in 2.

mitalidas
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
dont get all defensive on me aissh you need a chill pill!
don't over react. and i'm quite cool thanks

mitalidas
08-18-2005, 11:50 PM

The Seinfeld quote is correctly, "And by the way, they're real and they're spectacular"

nobama
08-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Just to cause you more grief, I am going to say that the 1st set will be an ugly win for Fed but expect the 2nd set to be a lot cleaner. So, expect some more heartburn. :D

Oh, and he will win in 2.Well one of your predictions was correct.