Safin is playing against medical advice [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin is playing against medical advice

Bibir
08-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Safin's return from injury is not what the doctor ordered
Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:24 AM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

By Simon Cambers

CINCINNATI, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Australian Open champion Marat Safin admitted he had played against medical advice after returning to the tour with victory in the first round of the Cincinnati Masters Series event on Tuesday.

The Russian fourth seed beat Czech Jan Hernych 7-6 6-4 to reach the second round, but the left knee injury that caused him to miss seven weeks after his third-round defeat at Wimbledon, is still causing him trouble.

"All the doctors were telling me to stay away a little bit longer, for another two weeks at least," Safin said.

"It still hurts a little bit. I am still afraid to move fast. Hopefully, it will get better.

"I took a risk to come here and start a little bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open. The doctor was a bit scared because the pain can increase. For the moment it's OK, but at some stage I can hurt myself even more.

"Maybe you know the soccer player, Ronaldo, he had the same injury, kind of the same. He continued playing and then he hurt himself and he didn't play for two years."

Safin, who is considering playing in the warm-up event in New Haven next week, said that he had been lucky not to require an operation.

"I've been injected with my own blood. It's just a new system, a new thing," the two times grand slam winner added.

"It's like there is a cut ligament. So basically they injected your own blood with the rebuilding cells so the ligament goes together. And so it's produced a little bit faster because normally it takes like three to four months, this injury.

"I guess it took me one month and a half, but still I think I rushed it little bit. Hopefully I'll be OK."

FAVOURITE EVENTS

After winning the Australian Open in January, Safin struggled to regain his form and concentration, while his knee began to affect him badly, both at the French Open and Wimbledon.

The U.S. Open, where he won his first grand slam title in 2000, is one of his favourite events and Safin admitted he would not have returned to the tour so soon had the year's final major tournament not been less than a fortnight away.

"I didn't really practice before the tournament. Only when I just came three days ago, I played for two hours each day," he said.

"I can see that I have to defend a lot of points (in the indoor season), and I need to do really well if I want to maintain myself in the top ten," he said.

"Hopefully I will be lucky with the draws and I'll be able to get through the first week in the U.S. Open so that it can carry me until the end of the season. Because if you manage to get into the second week, then basically it means that you are playing well.

"And then Asia, Davis Cup. Hopefully I can maintain myself in the top ten or even top five, why not?"

Bibir
08-17-2005, 09:07 AM
:confused: :scared:

Puschkin
08-17-2005, 09:12 AM
This does not sound encouraging and sensible, but was Marat ever sensible? :confused:

NINA_BCN
08-17-2005, 09:15 AM
This does not sound encouraging and sensible, but was Marat ever sensible? :confused:

:rolleyes: Who knows it....

TheMightyFed
08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
It's a bit auto-destructive to recognize that he can aggravate the injury and possibly be away like two years... a bit surpriseing from a pro, but this is Marat, we will miss him if he's injured so long... :sad:

jenanun
08-17-2005, 09:48 AM
ahhhhhhhh he should rest!!!!! omg...

i just hope he lost in the next round so he can rest a bit more......

~EMiLiTA~
08-17-2005, 09:49 AM
i hope he knows what he's doing...doesn't sound like it though :scared:

Bibir
08-17-2005, 10:23 AM
After beating qualifier Jan Hernych 7-6, 6-4 in the first round of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters tournament, Safin expressed his intention to play in the Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn. — health permitting.

"I am going to try to play New Haven probably because I need to play a couple more matches to get used to it, work on my fitness and get my rhythm back," Safin said.

When pressed on what he meant by "probably," Safin said, "I will decide how I feel here. If the (knee) will still hurt or the pain will increase, then I will skip New Haven and try to play the U.S. Open. If I am doing OK, then I will try to play New Haven just to get more matches in."

"I took a risk to come here and start a bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open," Safin said. "I’m praying to God so I will be healthy and will be able to play good tennis in the U.S. Open." :o

Bibir
08-17-2005, 10:27 AM
He was destined for Heaven but now he's fated to Hell. :sad:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
This is Murray's chance.
Some good drop shots and short angles:D

mer
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
He was destined for Heaven but now he's fated to Hell. :sad:

Bea, you must know about russian "авось" ? It works sometimes :unsure:

The Pro
08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh that Wild'N'Crazy ruskie. Whatever will he do next?

Seriously though, I've always liked Safin, he does have a personality, which is good in individual sports, but it feels like I hardly ever see the guy work his magic.

Hopefully he wont be another Flip, with talent forever wasted by injury.

PennyThePenguin
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
pffffttt... :rolleyes:

RonE
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
After beating qualifier Jan Hernych 7-6, 6-4 in the first round of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters tournament, Safin expressed his intention to play in the Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn. — health permitting.

"I am going to try to play New Haven probably because I need to play a couple more matches to get used to it, work on my fitness and get my rhythm back," Safin said.

When pressed on what he meant by "probably," Safin said, "I will decide how I feel here. If the (knee) will still hurt or the pain will increase, then I will skip New Haven and try to play the U.S. Open. If I am doing OK, then I will try to play New Haven just to get more matches in."

"I took a risk to come here and start a bit early to prepare for the U.S. Open," Safin said. "I’m praying to God so I will be healthy and will be able to play good tennis in the U.S. Open." :o

Marat :smash:

Saumon
08-17-2005, 11:38 AM

oh yeah God will surely help him :rolleyes:

pleeease Lord Carlos, do something for Marat :crying2:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
I hope his leg breaks off, that'll teach him.

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 11:46 AM
This is Murray's chance.
Some good drop shots and short angles:D
Thats what he said after his match ;) thats his plan.

azinna
08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I am now officially hoping he loses his next match......But wait that means he'll go into a funk and feel he can't beat Top 100 players till the Australian Open....

This man is the definition of Torture. And I'm just a fan. I can't believe a sane woman would attempt a long-term relationship with him.....

TheBoiledEgg
08-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Once an OAF, always an OAF :o :cuckoo:

just hope he better not regret this
one more win and withdraw.

and dont play next week :retard:

Shabazza
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I am now officially hoping he loses his next match......But wait that means he'll go into a funk and feel he can't beat Top 100 players till the Australian Open....

This man is the definition of Torture. And I'm just a fan. I can't believe a sane woman would attempt a long-term relationship with him.....
luckily for Marat there are mnay insane women in this world, he just have to find one ;)

Truc
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Do you have other infos to confirm this, is it true? Marat always talks a lot in his press conferences. It sounds so absurd to take a risk if it's only a matter of 2 weeks...

mer
08-17-2005, 12:03 PM
It sounds so absurd to take a risk if it's only a matter of 2 weeks...

It's not that absurd. Yes it's a matter of 2 weeks, but how could he play USO without playing a single match for two months before it ?

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
:rolleyes: wat a load of :bs:

Bibir
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Bea, you must know about russian "авось" ? It works sometimes :unsure:
русский aвось или фатализм? ;)

It's not that absurd. Yes it's a matter of 2 weeks, but how could he play USO without playing a single match for two months before it ?
IF it's like Ronaldo, it can be a matter of 2 years. :o

Bibir
08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
I wish you the same thing! :retard:

Saumon
08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
ok i'll check the yellow pages to find professeur saillant's phone number for marat :o

mer
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
IF it's like Ronaldo, it can be a matter of 2 years. :o

I meant is is not just the matter of 2 weeks like Truc said but the matter of playing/not playng USO.

Bibir
08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I meant is is not just the matter of 2 weeks like Truc said but the matter of playing/not playng USO.
I know...And I understand him but he has so much points to defend after USO.

He's playing with fire...or is lying to us. :sad:

Welcome back Drama King! :worship:

Bilbo
08-17-2005, 12:48 PM
once an OAF, always an OAF

Marat :retard:

Kip
08-17-2005, 12:53 PM

That's pretty easy to say
when it's not your career!

People question so many things about Marat
and maybe he does himself at times, but this
is his life and he wants to play.

He knows the risk and has excepted
whatever may come of it.

He's doing what feels right for him
at this time and point.

Good Luck Marat!
Hope all goes well! :)

Alisa
08-17-2005, 12:55 PM
marat..... :(

Saumon
08-17-2005, 01:26 PM
ok i'll check the yellow pages to find professeur saillant's phone number for marat :o
found it!
http://www.aphp.fr/index.php?module=offredesoins&action=afficherservice&vue=ods_hsc_service&hopital=066&service=0042

:o

Bibir
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Nombre de lits.....76....... DE PLUS DE 24H

Saumon, That's not enough for all of us. :angel:

the cat
08-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Good luck to Marat in his comeback attempt. :hug: :smooch: I hope he avoids doing major damage to his injured left knee whcih would likely shorten his career. :(

Winston's Human
08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Given that a significant portion of Safin's ranking points are from the last two Masters and the Masters Cup, it seems incredibly reckless to risk further injury by coming back against medical advice.

tennyfan
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
I caught part of the ESPN broadcast last night, and they interviewed Marat. I'm not certain, but I think he said he didn't have the operation on his knee. He said if he would have had the surgery it would have taken 6-12 months to return, so he decided to go with the cortisone shots instead. I'm not sure if I heard it right. Did anyone else wee the interview? I thought he did have surgery and that it didn't go well? If he's just taking cortisone shots, then he's just masking the pain and possibly doing further damage everytime he plays. I'd hate to see him do permanent damage. :bigcry:

1sun
08-17-2005, 02:12 PM
this just proves how much of an oaf he is. marat wtf man? u even mention ronaldo and how it fucked him up, do you want that to happen to you?

hablovah19
08-17-2005, 02:21 PM
:o:banghead:

lau
08-17-2005, 02:39 PM
más pelotudo no podías ser

rofe
08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Marat really needs to have his head examined. I hope Peter had some choice words to say to him.

tangerine_dream
08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Off with your head!

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Marat :crying2: stupid injuries plz leave Safin and Fed alone

Alisa
08-17-2005, 04:24 PM
that's all insane!! how can he be so unresponsible?? and was is he hoping for i wonder?? he won't do well with this injury for sure! so what is he trying to get? that's all very strange. maybe we don't know smth.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I wish you the same thing! :retard:

WTF! I'm not the one going against medical advice!

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 05:13 PM
yuo are crowned the offical safin troll. :worship:

Saumon
08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
hmmm actually you do... you dont remember the doctors who wanted you to wear that straitjacket? :wavey:

JuanChuffy007
08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
aaah Marat :mad: why doesn't he rest, he should listen to the doctors... Huge risk man!

star
08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
It's like Marat WANTS his career to end -- like so he can say -- It was an injury. What can I do? It was fate.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope he's very careful and doesn't push it too hard.

Whistleway
08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
comeon marat.. i knew when you said, 'i am too old for autographs'..

*worried* :( :(

i wish you all the best, and hope everything goes ok !!!!!!!

alfonsojose
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
:rolleyes: :yawn:

Lee
08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Didn't Marat return too soon after his wrist injury and he missed most of 2003 season? :shrug:

Alisa
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
It's like Marat WANTS his career to end -- like so he can say -- It was an injury. What can I do? It was fate.

:eek: OMG it really looks like that :awww: :cuckoo: :help:
wish, we r all wrong :bowdown:
marat is the most unexpexted man i ever heard of :shrug:

MariaV
08-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Oh I'm sure he doesn't WANT that. :rolleyes:
And I'm sure he's smart & careful enough even if it doesn't look like that.

PamV
08-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I think he should defeat Hrbaty and then retire from this tournament. No sense in agravating that poor knee. :angel:

PamV
08-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Or else he likes giving the impression it's worse than it is in order to have an excuse. Some players do that for a mental edge.

Anna777
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Arrgh! Why doesn't he just rest now and play when he's FULLY recovered than he can play at his best! I hope he doesn't make his injury worse. :scared:

Tomorrow
08-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't think a few points in Cincy or even US Open worth it. He has to learn how to take care of himself.Who likes to see such a talent player retire so early!

TheMightyFed
08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
For info, this is a partial knee tendon rupture, and it seems that it's the same French doctor who took care of Ronaldo, which is rather positive given the come back of Ronaldo, but it's pretty dangerous to still play at this level against medical advice... :rolleyes:

Saumon
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
For info, this is a partial knee tendon rupture, and it seems that it's the same French doctor who took care of Ronaldo, which is rather positive given the come back of Ronaldo, but it's pretty dangerous to still play at this level against medical advice... :rolleyes:
no, i think his doctor was italian

TheMightyFed
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I know Ronlaldo saw Saillant, but surely others...

Bibir
08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks to you Dean, they think that Marat met Saillant...Well done! :worship:

Bibir
08-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Or else he likes giving the impression it's worse than it is in order to have an excuse. Some players do that for a mental edge.
That's what some posters said when he revealed he had a knee injury in June...But the injury was real...And he didn't use it as an excuse (even during Wimbledon).

Rosa Luxembourg
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
he did withdraw from Beijing (Sept 12-18)...

Rosa Luxembourg
08-18-2005, 01:15 PM

In this case you need your head to break off. :rolleyes: Not sure that will teach you though.

Saumon
08-18-2005, 01:26 PM
he did withdraw from Beijing (Sept 12-18)...
he was the defending champ :awww:

RogerRocks
08-18-2005, 01:34 PM

bullshit :retard: a tendon rupture won't lead to a broken leg :rolleyes:

Saumon
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
and now he baggles hrbaty :eek: :scratch: :retard: :shrug:

roberta
08-18-2005, 04:31 PM
YES...he´s playing against medical advice........ but..HE WONNNN!!!! :p :banana: ;) ...6-0,6-3!!!! :eek: :D

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM
at least it was strapped!!