ESPN is a friggin' joke. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ESPN is a friggin' joke.

Scotso
08-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Showing Safin/Hernych instead of Nadal/Berdych.

Way to drop the ball, morons.

mangoes
08-17-2005, 03:31 AM
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS.

disturb3d
08-17-2005, 03:35 AM
It would be plain stupid to show Nadal's match.
You're forgetting who the most popular player in the game is; Safin.

ESPN are pulling for ratings, and thats exactly what they'll get.

ys
08-17-2005, 03:36 AM
Relax, Nadal is gone.. Time to show a guy who at least can be a factor at US Open.. And haven't you seen enough of Nadal playing all kind of journeymen last week.. We saw plenty of him..

Glad to see Marat.. :)

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 03:37 AM
I'm shocked! I was about to record it but turned the shit off now. Didn't the motherfuckers advertise the Nadal match earlier?

Santorofan
08-17-2005, 03:38 AM

Definitely agree with you on this one - am so disapointed!!!

uNIVERSE mAN
Relax, Nadal is gone.. Time to show a guy who at least can be a factor at US Open.. And haven't you seen enough of Nadal playing all kind of journeymen last week.. We saw plenty of him..

idiot! didn't you just notice Nadal had a bloody war today, Safin was 7-6 6-4 routine. Who cares!

rofe
You guys are friggin' impatient. Wait for some more rain delays this week and you will have the match in all its glory. Geez!

Scotso
08-17-2005, 03:39 AM
You guys are friggin' impatient. Wait for some more rain delays this week and you will have the match in all its glory. Geez!

Dream on.

Scotso
08-17-2005, 03:40 AM

Seeing as how you are a Russian troll and Nadal-hater, this really doesn't surprise me.

uNIVERSE mAN
what the hell is with this dwarf baseball? why is this garbage pre-empting world class professional tennis?!!

El Legenda

:haha: 98% of people in US dont know who Safin is...they know Roddick,Federer,Nadal

Scotso

Since when is he the most popular player in the game?

nobama
ESPN :smash: Is this just because Nadal played last week and Safin's been out of action. Since it's tape delay I think they should show the best match of the day. Especially if it's the #2 player. I didn't even think twice about them not showing Nadal today. Losers.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 03:49 AM
what match did they show earlier at 3-5pm?

rofe
08-17-2005, 03:51 AM
what match did they show earlier at 3-5pm?

Hewitt match.

sprinterluck
08-17-2005, 04:04 AM
Hewitt match.

You're F'ing kidding me. :fiery: ESPN's website said 3-5pm Safin v. Hernych with no mention of Hewitt. :fiery: I wanted to see that one.

I was so looking forward to seeing Nadal tonight. :sad:

ys
08-17-2005, 04:05 AM
idiot! didn't you just notice Nadal had a bloody war today, Safin was 7-6 6-4 routine. Who cares!

Idiot :p, unless the loser's name is Agassi or Roddick, it's always better to stck with a winner.. because a winner might end up being late in the tournament and therefore should be promoted. Obvious. Who cares about bloody wars of first round..

ys
08-17-2005, 04:06 AM
ESPN :smash: Is this just because Nadal played last week and Safin's been out of action. Since it's tape delay I think they should show the best match of the day. Especially if it's the #2 player.

It is US Open time coming.. They should promote the contenders.. Claycourters's time on US hardcourts is done..

El Legenda
08-17-2005, 04:07 AM
ESPN already has a schedule that is made before the tourny...and TIME SLOTS...im sure Nadal's match was way longer then the time they have..

ys
08-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Seeing as how you are a Russian troll and Nadal-hater, this really doesn't surprise me.

And you should be happy to see someone like Marat.. :lol: And your badreps going, silly.. :lol:

mangoes
08-17-2005, 04:18 AM
:haha: 98% of people in US dont know who Safin is...they know Roddick,Federer,Nadal

LOLOL........................So true. My sister calls him the golly green giant........lolol

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 04:22 AM
There will be rain tommorrow and they will show this match. Dissapointing that they didn't show it tonight but oh well.

World Beater
08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
There will be rain tommorrow and they will show this match. Dissapointing that they didn't show it tonight but oh well.

You truly are missing out on one of the best matches this summer. What a pity!

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
ESPN already has a schedule that is made before the tourny...and TIME SLOTS...im sure Nadal's match was way longer then the time they have..

Good point. They will probably chop it down to just the last set and show it tommorrow.

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 04:25 AM
You truly are missing out on one of the best matches this summer. What a pity!

Yeah, I hope to see some of it tommorrow. I'm actually kind of hoping for some rain tommorrow. :)

warfreakbix
08-17-2005, 04:31 AM
Go ESPN! :bounce:

PamV
08-17-2005, 04:37 AM

They think Safin is a sex symbol because he's got a spread in GQ.

njnetswill
08-17-2005, 04:54 AM
They think Safin is a sex symbol because he's got a spread in GQ.

:lol:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Now the Duck can't be stopped, expect him in the final, a rusty and ill Potato probably won't be a factor.

My predictions: Rogi-Hrbaty and Gasquet-Roddick.

ys
08-17-2005, 05:27 AM
Now the Duck can't be stopped, expect him in the final, a rusty and ill Potato probably won't be a factor.

No Gasquet.. This surface's bounce is too fast for his backhand. He'll lose before. Hrbaty is too inconsistent.. He is not getting past Soderling.. We'll have a repeat of AO semifinal lineup.. Real hardcourt game has finally resumed after a long 7 month break.

CassL
08-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Geez, haven't we got enough of Nadal last week to last a lifetime? Time to see some other players.

Leo
08-17-2005, 05:52 AM

Yes, let's count out the man who owns Roddick on hardcourts. Brilliance!

Anyway, I'm not even a Nadal fan and I am majorly disappointed by this decision. This was clearly the match of the day and the one ESPN should have shown. ESPN is run by a bunch of stupid fuckers who don't care at all for the sport. To sum up my feelings: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Now I'm hoping for rain tomorrow at 1.

Btw, just about everything said in this thread by ys is screwy. For instance, I never knew that Agassi was a journeyman and that Safin was the most popular player in the US.... doubly incorrect.

Leo
08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Geez, haven't we got enough of Nadal last week to last a lifetime? Time to see some other players.

Time to see an exciting upset is the better solution.

ugotlobbed
08-17-2005, 05:53 AM

yep remember my thread yesterday ....

Leo
08-17-2005, 05:56 AM
yep remember my thread yesterday ....

Safin is not better ratings than Nadal right now.

squirtkb97
08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
ESPN showed Hewitt earlier in the day because that's what was live at the time due to the rain delays, and they said several times during that match that they would be showing Safin's match at night, so I wasn't surprised at all.

joycomesmorning
08-17-2005, 09:18 AM
That's a very optimistic statement...there's a LARGE segment of the USA who doesn't even know who Roddick is...doesn't even know that they continued to play competitive tennis after Connors and Mac quit...and complains like heck when ESPN preempts bass fishing reruns for tennis.

A more realistic assessment is that maybe 50% (probably a little higher than that with the under 40 crowd) could identify the name Roddick as a pro tennis player...far fewer than that could identify him on the street and know who he is...

From there, we have a huge drop in those who could identify Federer, Nadal or Safin as tennis players...and proably less than 20% of the people in the USA could name them correctly in a lineup--if you asked them to match names with faces.

No one's kidding with the lack of tennis importance in the USA right now...it's sad. Most of the MOnday morning sports shows made no mention of the results of Montreal. My newspaper had a 1-inch blurb on the bottom of page 2...Agassi's pulling out of Cincy actually got a 3-inch blurb...bottom of page 2!!

Maria is popular...for how she looks..."Oh, she plays tennis?"

Agassi is popular ...for what he does off the court..."you're kidding, he's still playing, what is it, tennis????"

Do something somebody!!

jcm

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
ESPN showed Hewitt earlier in the day because that's what was live at the time due to the rain delays, and they said several times during that match that they would be showing Safin's match at night, so I wasn't surprised at all.
they weer supposed to play the safin match during the day but the rain delay prevented it so when they had a choice they choose the golly green giant over nadal and i agree. too much nadal is boring and safin to me is more entertainment value!

uNIVERSE mAN
08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, let's count out the man who owns Roddick on hardcourts. Brilliance!

Anyway, I'm not even a Nadal fan and I am majorly disappointed by this decision. This was clearly the match of the day and the one ESPN should have shown. ESPN is run by a bunch of stupid fuckers who don't care at all for the sport. To sum up my feelings: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Now I'm hoping for rain tomorrow at 1.

Btw, just about everything said in this thread by ys is screwy. For instance, I never knew that Agassi was a journeyman and that Safin was the most popular player in the US.... doubly incorrect.

I didn't say that!! In case you didn't notice Hewitt has to beat players to even get to the semis, and currently he's fighting for his life against Rusedski, like I said he's not in shape to get there, if he does it would be an incredible achievment. But it's unlikely.