Nadal-Berdych: The next generation in great rivalries [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal-Berdych: The next generation in great rivalries

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:26 AM
1st meeting: 2005 Bastad FR Clay (O) R.NADAL 6-2 2-6 4-6

2nd meeting: 2005 Cincinnati 1stR Hard (O) T.BERDYCH 6-7 6-2 7-6

DanEd
08-17-2005, 02:50 AM
it is possible, berdych has a great potential.
i think his groundstrokes are the most powerful

disturb3d
08-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Why is Gasquet so hyped? Berdych is twice as talented.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 02:53 AM
I knew he would defeat Nadal today, he gave Rafa a hard time on clay and Berdych isnt very good on the dirt so I was expecting the upset. Plus its that time of the month for Berdych

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:53 AM

because Gasquet is from a Western country... whereas Tomas only comes from the former Eastern block Czech Republic.

megadeth
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
i think it's still pre mature to speculate, but it's quite possible in due time, provided berdych also makes a breakthrough like rafa

megadeth
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
coz if not, berdych could be one of those unseeded guys that becomes a nemsis for a certain top player

e.g.
sampras-ferriera
kucera-agassi
berdych - rafa?

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
I knew he would defeat Nadal today, he gave Rafa a hard time on clay and Berdych isnt very good on the dirt so I was expecting the upset. Plus its that time of the month for Berdych

fair play, Berdych's best results so far have come on clay.

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:57 AM
coz if not, berdych could be one of those unseeded guys that becomes a nemsis for a certain top player

e.g.
sampras-ferriera
kucera-agassi
berdych - rafa?

the best example is Santoro-Safin

:lol:

Neely
08-17-2005, 02:57 AM
Because Gasquet had the bigger results so far and he was already getting much attention and hype before juniors whereas same can't be said about Berdych in that amount

Havok
08-17-2005, 03:03 AM
What the heck happened to the Nadal/Gasquet matchups? They have way more history with the juniors and all. And yes Nelly thanks for pointing out the obvious to people who just can't get a grast of things.:sad:

Scotso
08-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Berdych is a sweet player... good hands and all.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Berdych is a sweet player... good hands and all.

:wavey: Is that Berdych in your avatar, he look svery different there

lucashg
08-17-2005, 03:19 AM
Because Gasquet had the bigger results so far and he was already getting much attention and hype before juniors whereas same can't be said about Berdych in that amount

:yeah:

Disturbed, you wanna talk about hyped up? Try Andrew Murray.

Gasquet will give all 85-88 born players some real trouble. Just wait and see.

As for Nadal vs Berdych, nice rivalry there. Still early to call, I wish some of them youngsters started to be more consistent. Nadal exploded, Gasquet has reached Hamburg F and Monte-Carlo SF and won Nottingham, Monfils and Berdych made the finals of Sopot, and Andrew Murray came out of nowhere to conquer the UK. Djokovic is slowly making his way, and he'll mean trouble soon as well. I miss Baghdatis out of them doing well.

Young and Del Potro are material for a couple of years.

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:19 AM

lol... look at his username, then look back at his avatar.

DanEd
08-17-2005, 03:20 AM
it is Karlol Beck ;)

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:21 AM
:yeah:

Disturbed, you wanna talk about hyped up? Try Andrew Murray.

Gasquet will give all 85-88 born players some real trouble. Just wait and see.

As for Nadal vs Berdych, nice rivalry there. Still early to call, I wish some of them youngsters started to be more consistent. Nadal exploded, Gasquet has reached Hamburg F and Monte-Carlo SF and won Nottingham, Monfils and Berdych made the finals of Sopot, and Andrew Murray came out of nowhere to conquer the UK. Djokovic is slowly making his way, and he'll mean trouble soon as well. I miss Baghdatis out of them doing well.

Young and Del Potro are material for a couple of years.

Monfils defeated Mayer to win Sopot, not Berdych.

lucashg
08-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Monfils defeated Mayer to win Sopot, not Berdych.

Oops :o
You're right. So, Mayer is another youngster that can really cause some talking, throw him in the mix as well. :p

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:32 AM
Well, Mayer is 21 turning 22 soon, he should already be more developped than the others.

rofe
08-17-2005, 03:32 AM
Oops :o
You're right. So, Mayer is another youngster that can really cause some talking, throw him in the mix as well. :p

Nah, Mayer is no good. I saw him in Halle this year. Nothing special. Berdych on the other hand seems to have potential.

vincayou
08-17-2005, 06:19 AM

Because he's got a higher ranking, is younger, has put good results on clay and grass, has beaten Federer this year, etc...

jole
08-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Mayer, sadly because I like him a lot, will most likely never break into the top 20 unless he makes some medium to large changes in his gameplan. Unless Florian is having an absolutely brilliant day, any player with nice stick on their shots can clean up on his quirky shots.

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Because he's got a higher ranking, is younger, has put good results on clay and grass, has beaten Federer this year, etc...
Also because he has prettier eyelashes.

vincayou
08-17-2005, 06:40 AM

That was so obvious, I didn't mention it.

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Hee.

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 08:36 AM

but Tomas is better looking than Richard :kiss:.

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
He's really not. ;)

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
He's really not. ;)
richie looks like a frog, probably coz he is one :lol:

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM

Because people on the board say so. :worship:

Gasquet is nothing an overhyped piece of trash! No talent whatsoever! :fiery:

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Back to the topic of this thread it could be a rivalry and one without the hype of Nadal/Gasquet or Nadal/Monfils and I know personally I am more interested in Nadal/Berdych matches and yes I have seen the Båstad match as well, than the other two that were previously mentioned.

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Back to the topic of this thread it could be a rivalry and one without the hype of Nadal/Gasquet or Nadal/Monfils and I know personally I am more interested in Nadal/Berdych matches and yes I have seen the Båstad match as well, than the other two that were previously mentioned.

I like Tomas too and am glad he has pulled off a big upset, but it's ridiculous how quick these bandwagon hoppers are.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
I like Tomas too and am glad he has pulled off a big upset, but it's ridiculous how quick these bandwagon hoppers are.

I wouldn't know I remember having a convo with its.like.that and devid the Feli Lopez lover at different times a while ago about the Berdman and his potential and they have been complimentary to him, so I wouldn't call him a bandwagon jumper, maybe the rivalry is stretching it, as I hate the term.

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't know I remember having a convo with its.like.that and devid the Feli Lopez lover at different times a while ago about the Berdman and his potential and they have been complimentary to him, so I wouldn't call him a bandwagon jumper, maybe the rivalry is stretching it, as I hate the term.

Yeah, I guess I'm a little too sensitive. I just dislike it when such declaration threads pop up after one good win, even if they are about one of my favourite players. I guess I just don't like hasty assumptions.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'm a little too sensitive. I just dislike it when such declaration threads pop up after one good win, even if they are about one of my favourite players.

I know what bandwagon jumpers are like, hence you look at one of the main reasons I started the Acasuso thread.

Berdych is still young and his game will take time to develop and at the same time I didn't think it was fair to include him in that section.

alexito
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
no, the next generation nadal gasquet

delsa
08-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I like all these young newcomers: Djokovic, Berdych and co. and those a little bit older but coming strong now behind them, in their trace...like "Hey! How come they're developping faster than us?!" for ex. Muller, Mayer etc... I think it will be really interesting to follow them in the future and they add a lot of excitment and spice up the tour being among the (too) old rivalries etc... ;) :yeah:

TennisLurker
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
my 11 years old niece lurves Gasquet, she thinks he is the only good looking player

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
my 11 years old niece lurves Gasquet, she thinks he is the only good looking player

You need to reducate her. :)

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Dont we need to wait for them to play a few matches before we call it a rivalry

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 06:35 PM
You need to reducate her. :)
There is no hope for someone who thinks he is hot! :eek:

Havok
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Nadal/Berdych would be rivalries of the opening round matches :haha:. Doesn't see Berdych really breaking into the top of mens tennis, while Gasquet is literally almost there and Monfils has more potential to do so that Thomas does I believe.

its.like.that
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Dont we need to wait for them to play a few matches before we call it a rivalry

sure, but 2 close matches on 2 different surfaces between 2 of the best under 21 players in the world, I think warrants some notice.

alfonsojose
08-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Berdych hits the ball so cleanly. He reminds me of Lindsay's strokes :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Nadal/Berdych would be rivalries of the opening round matches :haha:. Doesn't see Berdych really breaking into the top of mens tennis, while Gasquet is literally almost there and Monfils has more potential to do so that Thomas does I believe.

Why don't you see Berdych making it? How does Monfils have more potential? Out with your theories I am interested, then again you were someone who said Acasuso had a weak serve, so this should be good.

Deivid23
08-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Why don't you see Berdych making it? How does Monfils have more potential? Out with your theories I am interested, then again you were someone who said Acasuso had a weak serve, so this should be good.

If you make a poll here:

Which 3 youngsters have more potential?

Gasquet-Monfils-Murray

Berdych-Verdasco-Djokovic

First three will be likely the winner and that would be funny as hell, itīs all about the hype

bad gambler
08-19-2005, 05:59 AM
First three will be likely the winner and that would be funny as hell, itīs all about the hype
And who is more known to the public

Action Jackson
08-19-2005, 06:01 AM
If you make a poll here:

Gasquet-Monfils-Murray

Actually I think that's a very good idea and there should be some other players added, to make it a combo, then some interesting reactions.

As for hype read the Fed vs Nadal US Open final thread and you'd see what I am talking about.

vincayou
08-19-2005, 08:02 AM
If you make a poll here:

Gasquet-Monfils-Murray

Maybe but all are living up to the hype. Verdasco... is going the way of Malisse.

Freddi22cl
08-19-2005, 10:07 AM
because Gasquet is from a Western country... whereas Tomas only comes from the former Eastern block Czech Republic.

nonsense. Entering Cinci, Gasquet is 31-8 ytd including a title on grass. Berdych is 22-23 and continues to disappoint. Talented no doubt, consistency lacking

rommel99
08-19-2005, 10:31 AM
im a richard fan myself but after watching the berdych-nadal match i would think berdych has more game than either nadal or gasquet.. his technique are just so fluid and efficient, he makes his shots looks so effortless.. his forehand reminds me of federer.. and his timing is perfect.. too bad his inconsistent.. if berdych continues like this he would be like malisse..

its.like.that
08-19-2005, 04:46 PM
nonsense. Entering Cinci, Gasquet is 31-8 ytd including a title on grass. Berdych is 22-23 and continues to disappoint. Talented no doubt, consistency lacking

who won their maiden title earlier out of those 2?

lucashg
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
If you make a poll here:

Gasquet-Monfils-Murray

Oh, the birth of that thread. :rolleyes:

Funny because one year ago Nadal would be part of the same overrated overhyped group that is the first one. You can't predict if the so-called talented group will ever live up to their potential, and you also can't say if the overhyped group won't live up to their hype. Oh... unless you can predict their futures like you did with Nadal's. :o

Haven't seen much of all of them except Gasquet and Verdasco (still not much) and they're really talented. Gasquet lacks the fitness, stamina and the mental toughness. He's much more calm, but he still chokes and you can see he's having a nervous breakdown. Verdasco lacks the consistency and the mental toughness as well, he doesn't have any! Should he get his shit together, he could do so well.

You never know if they're going Federer's or even Safin's way or Malisse's.

nevenez
09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

e.g.
sampras-ferriera
kucera-agassi
berdych - Federer

Fixed.

Jagerbomb
09-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Fixed.

12-6 H2H, and you bumped a 10 year old thread to express a stupid idea.