Andy Murray def. Taylor Dent 7-6 (4), 7-6(1) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray def. Taylor Dent 7-6 (4), 7-6(1)

Havok
08-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Allez Andy, now lets see what all those people who bitched about his WC say.:devil: Awesome win, keep it up.:D

Duncan
08-17-2005, 12:35 AM
what a victory

he played brilliantly!

Lisbeth
08-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Well done Andy Murray! :D

Effka
08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Tactics on Dent: play every ball just 10 cm from his racquet. 100% he'll miss his shot.

Way to go Andy nonetheless :yeah:

jenanun
08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
well andy! yay!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
ANDY!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: SO HAPPY!!! :woohoo:

Robxon
08-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Fantastic result, Andy.

If , Sorry When, he beats Safin - World No. 4 - an appropriate prize would be a deserved WC for the USO.

stuey87
08-17-2005, 12:43 AM
I hope Dragan eats his words of "what has Murray ever done" :p
Won through brilliantly in the first round of Cincy from a set up unlike others, that's what.

PinkFeatherBoa
08-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Well done to Andrew.

stuey87
08-17-2005, 12:45 AM
His match has "Possible court change" on it. Do you think they'll move it to stadium?

Duncan
08-17-2005, 12:46 AM
His match has "Possible court change" on it. Do you think they'll move it to stadium?

I hope they don't move it to night session or something cos then i wont get to see it!!!!

stuey87
08-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Especially if Berdych wins, they'd swap with Berdych Youzhny surely?

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I hope Dragan eats his words of "what has Murray ever done" :p
Won through brilliantly in the first round of Cincy from a set up unlike others, that's what.
Stupid comment. Not having to play qualies and playing a lower quality opponent makes such a comparison absurd.

Regardless, I am pleased for King Andy and wish him luck in the next round. I hope, however, that he does NOT get a main draw WC for the USO because I am going to be there for qualies and want to see him :p

stuey87
08-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Stupid comment. Not having to play qualies and playing a lower quality opponent makes such a comparison absurd.

2003 US Open, Hard, R32
NY, U.S.A. Hard R32 Dent 7 6 6 7 3 6 7 6 6 4

The only meeting between Dent and Gonzalez, looks pretty close in quality of player to me, with Dent perhaps the higher as seen by the win. I accept your objection to my comment though and apologise if it was in any way offensive.

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 01:00 AM
2003 US Open, Hard, R32

The only meeting between Dent and Gonzalez, looks pretty close in quality of player to me, with Dent perhaps the higher as seen by the win. I accept your objection to my comment though and apologise if it was in any way offensive.

I bleieve Gonzo is a higher quality opponent than Dent, and their head to head doesn't change that ;) No disrespect to Dent, whom I also happen to like.

Regardless, you being so nice makes me feel bad for calling your comment "stupid" as opposed to just "silly". My apologies ;)

I just like Djokovic so I didn't like the rubbing in that he lost. But then, I forget the odd fighting that goes on between random Murray fans on a particular Djokovic fan :p

federer express
08-17-2005, 01:03 AM
murray is a good player and better than henman was at that age. but, i still think he will struggle to eclipse or better henman's career. that may sound strange particularly as he may seem better equipped to succeed at 3 out of the 4 slams. however his game is no different from a lot of the guys out on the tour. henman has always had something different in being one of the best volleyers in the world. murray is going to have to compete against the likes of federer, roddick, hewitt, safin, nadal, gasquet, monfils and so on from the back of the court. i guess i'm saying he doesn't bring too many things to the table that every player hasn't seen before. none of this is to take away from how good he already is and will be. but ultimately, no matter how much he improves i still think he will be physically weaker than most of the guys and without the electric pace of a coria or nadal.

still an excellent win today....

stuey87
08-17-2005, 01:04 AM
I bleieve Gonzo is a higher quality opponent than Dent, and their head to head doesn't change that ;) No disrespect to Dent, whom I also happen to like.

Regardless, you being so nice makes me feel bad for calling your comment "stupid" as opposed to just "silly". My apologies ;)

I just like Djokovic so I didn't like the rubbing in that he lost. But then, I forget the odd fighting that goes on between random Murray fans on a particular Djokovic fan :p

You may be right, I might be being silly amid elation at Andy's win and was driven to take a stab at Dragan. I have nothing against Novak at all, he's a very talented player who will win lots of titles. The comment was more aimed at the certain Djokovic fan, who has you say does like to pick fights.

Friends? :hug:

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 01:06 AM
You may be right, I might be being silly amid elation at Andy's win and was driven to take a stab at Dragan. I have nothing against Novak at all, he's a very talented player who will win lots of titles. The comment was more aimed at the certain Djokovic fan, who has you say does like to pick fights.

I should have noticed it was a stab at Dragan and left it alone.

(That said, Novak is currently winning the Andy vs Novak contest ;))

Friends? :hug:

Of course :yeah:

njnetswill
08-17-2005, 01:10 AM
At least he earned his wildcard.

cleverdutchclogs
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
2003 US Open, Hard, R32

What's that got to do with the price of fish? Does that make Dent a better player or something? Does what happened 2 years ago, by the smallest of margins, actually mean anything at all?

stuey87
08-17-2005, 01:52 AM
If you read all of the above closely I was using that as a rough marker of the standards of Dent and Gonzalez in a debate Chloe and I have since settled.
This thread's about Murray's wonderful victory tonight, so that's what I'll focus on.

I hope he takes loads of confidence from tonight and doesn't get too bashful at getting even more marriage proposals from young ladies :p

mangoes
08-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Congrats, but I'll save the "awes" for when and if he beats Safin. Taylor Dent isn't that big a fish.

disturb3d
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
federer, roddick, hewitt, safin, nadal, gasquet, monfilsIronic, all the best players in the world play from the baseline.

Scotso
08-17-2005, 03:14 AM
well done Andrew! :D

vincayou
08-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Well done Andy! Hey, he's putting some impressive results for a so called overhyped guy. Winning this match following his victory in a challenger last week, very impressive!

He's doing very very well, I didn't expect this after wimbledon.

skel1983
08-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Well done Andy, i stayed up all night to watch a brilliant preformance.

I just want to say for all you people such as CooCooCachoo and Experimentee(who i have had many private heated discussions about Andy Murray) that he is not a fluke, fraud and other insulting word you want to use against the young guy.

Obviously we don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but Dent is a top 32 player, and watching the match form game 2 or 3 there was no doubt if Andy kept him composure he would win.

What i think is so impressive is his return of serve, for me it's amazing, he still needs a lot of work on his own serve though, but this kid is making tremendous strides and it will be no walkover for Marat Safin he will know he is in a match woth Murray.

Papakori
08-17-2005, 09:33 AM
well done andy

The Pro
08-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I'd much rather watch Andy Murray make a journey to the top than Rusedski.

It's about time we had another brit to support, especially a Scot.

Now waiting for girl on the woman's side to catch up....

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 10:51 AM
I watched some of the second set and first set tiebreaker. He does seem to get up for the big points, when he was broken he broke straight back. And the two tiebreaks he played were great tennis, especially the second one.

I dont think he has the power to hurt players, but his returns are very very good. Also has very good passing shots and lobs. I could imagine him playing henman and tearing henman up :lol: henmans weak serve would be an easy task for murray.

Will be interesting to watch him against safin, safin was meant to be shaky against hernych. Although i feel safin has the tools to punch murray off the court, and if safin is playing well there is no question who will win. Murrays strengths are his passing shots, return of serves, and his consistency (but he doesnt have a great ability to end the points).

I think he will need to work on his muscular strength and power though, because he is one of the weakest looking 18 year olds ive seen. That shows in the power of his shots too. If he manages to get abit more power, he would be very dangerous with the added ability of being able to hit more winners.

Also nice to see his attitude has really calmed down on court, he seemed quite relaxed and wasnt going mental like he did at wimbledon which is nice to see. He admitted himself in an interview after the match, that it wasnt needed and abit over the top :lol:

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 10:55 AM
murray is a good player and better than henman was at that age. but, i still think he will struggle to eclipse or better henman's career. that may sound strange particularly as he may seem better equipped to succeed at 3 out of the 4 slams. however his game is no different from a lot of the guys out on the tour. henman has always had something different in being one of the best volleyers in the world. murray is going to have to compete against the likes of federer, roddick, hewitt, safin, nadal, gasquet, monfils and so on from the back of the court. i guess i'm saying he doesn't bring too many things to the table that every player hasn't seen before. none of this is to take away from how good he already is and will be. but ultimately, no matter how much he improves i still think he will be physically weaker than most of the guys and without the electric pace of a coria or nadal.

Yes i agree, he doesnt have the fastening pace or the power of a safin. I think he will do well against the serve and volleyers though, but against the baseliners who have alittle more than him (i think he would struggle). Very true about the strength issue, i recently went to a local junior tournament and there were 13/14 year olds who looked physically stronger than murray :help:

Auscon
08-17-2005, 11:23 AM
:(

well done Murray

Nimomunz
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
wat murray did at wimbledon was needed its the same way henman behaves at wimbledon....man you need those brits on your side!!

JustmeUK
08-17-2005, 01:07 PM

I think it is very hard to draw parallels between Murray and Henman with regard to how Murray's career will progress. That his game at the age of 18 is better than Henman's is definite. As to what he will bring that is different as he gets older, then that is hard to tell. From what I've seen of Murray over the summer and last night, he had the ability to stay in rallies and has a good return of serve perhaps moreso on the BH side. I think during the runup to the Nalby-Murray game someone said Andrew plays like David, just that David is a little bit better in every department which I think is an accurate reflection of things as they stand and certainly testament to Andy's game if he can be compared so favroably to David.

However, how he progresses is very much an unknown quantity. He's a big boy and in terms of his height, he can very improve his serve. He serves reasonably big now but he seems to be a little off balance with his motion as opposed to the very best servers. His forehand, too, I believe can become a huge weapon. Let's not forget he's 6'2" and has time to work on filling that frame out. I really think he will be much more powerful than the 5' something Coria. Even now, he has not look outclassed or overpowered in his matches against the top players on tour which surely bodes well for him in the future. He's never going to be a great volleyer.. certainly not in the mould of Henman but I really think the halcyon days of S&V are going to become a rarity simply because players have so much more power from the ground these days.

His biggest asset? Without doubt, his mind. He brings 100% commitment to his game and is passionate but seems to be able to control the adrenaline rush that comes with that passion. Let's see where he goes in the coming 9 months. Come Wimbledon of next year, we will see a very different Murray and one in whom will be the standard bearer for British tennis for the next decade.

Regenbogen
08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
yay for andy...i watched about 5 games of his match, and i felt like i was practically the only person who wasn't for taylor lol

Raquel
08-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Brilliant win Andy. Really happy for him and from what I saw of the match he performed really well. He has got great hands and court sense. Sounds weird but he kind of reminds me of Hingis sometimes in the way he contructs points. I am glad he has calmed down the on court antics as well. Wimbledon was a bit of a circus and I think the adrenaline got him very intense but last night he was very calm and realised he had to concentrate and stay focused. Great to see him win play so well in his Masters Series debut.

He has nothing to lose against Marat so it should be fun to watch.

alexito
08-17-2005, 04:42 PM
yes andy, good work

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-20-2005, 09:06 AM
alexito, for one time we have the same opinion:lol:

cleverdutchclogs
08-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Yes i agree, he doesnt have the fastening pace or the power of a safin. I think he will do well against the serve and volleyers though, but against the baseliners who have alittle more than him (i think he would struggle). Very true about the strength issue, i recently went to a local junior tournament and there were 13/14 year olds who looked physically stronger than murray :help:

Joeb_uk,

Bill Threlfall is the man! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
He doesn't mince his words, he's straight talking, says it how it is - to him, a spade's a spade!