Why did Nadal give Agassi a set in Montreal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Nadal give Agassi a set in Montreal?

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I think a straight sets victory would have looked much better on paper, but I suppose we can now commend Rafa for his charitable nature as well.

Vamos.

TheMightyFed
08-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I think a straight sets victory would have looked much better on paper, but I suppose we can now commend Rafa for his charitable nature as well.

Vamos.
Cos' Agassi dictated the game and was more aggressive. I'd like to know how many kilometers they respectively ran during this match, but I guess Rafa ran much more. Agassi footwork is still incredible....

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Cos' Agassi dictated the game and was more aggressive. I'd like to know how many kilometers they respectively ran during this match, but I guess Rafa ran much more. Agassi footwork is still incredible....

yer ok, Agassi is god.

But I still dont understand why Rafa gave him a set :scratch:.

Saumon
08-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Vamos.
:retard:

Deivid23
08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
:retard:

Donīt try to figure this kid out, heīs still a little grasshopper looking for some attention ;)

amierin
08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm glad someone started this thread. I felt he did the same thing for Moya and I think it has to do with respecting one's friends(Moya) and elders (Agassi). Which speaks volumes about the type of man Rafa is. His play in the third set proved he could've taken Andre out at any time.

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm glad someone started this thread. I felt he did the same thing for Moya and I think it has to do with respecting one's friends(Moya) and elders (Agassi). Which speaks volumes about the type of man Rafa is. His play in the third set proved he could've taken Andre out at any time.

It called stepping up, what an insulting post. Its embarrasing to read :o, what a tard

1sun
08-16-2005, 02:08 PM
thats the most stupid thing ive ever herd.

Castafiore
08-16-2005, 02:08 PM
It sounds really nice, doesn't it? But, I don't believe that theory because I really don't think that Rafa would be so generous as to give a set to Agassi just because he was respecting his elders. I mean, he's respectful and humble off the court but he's very eager to win on the court.

The comments Nadal gave were the following:
set 1: Agassi's game plan = backhand to Nadal's forehand + make him run around a lot by distributing the ball all over the court.
Nadal said that he was pretty much allowed to play his own game because Agassi didn't put him under much pressure
Result: set Nadal

set 2: change of game plan by Agassi = backhand to Nadal's backhand + play with more aggressivity.
Nadal said that this surprised him quite a bit. He fought back quite well but still had to give up one of his serve games
Result: set Agassi

set 3: change of game plan by Nadal = reply to the more aggressive play of Agassi by being more aggressive himself in more than one way (attacking more + dictating the pace of the game)
Result: GSM Nadal

mangoes
08-16-2005, 02:13 PM
EXCUSE ME????

Cause Agassi played a really good second set......................

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
EXCUSE ME????

Cause Agassi played a really good second set......................

Dont bother you will never change some peoples opinions

rofe
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Too funny ! :D

The thread starter was trying to be funny right? :confused:

MariaV
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Vamos.
Because Rafa is a really nice & polite kid. Vamos. :D

skel1983
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!!!

Nadal has respect for his elders etc etc!!!!

That must of been an attempt at humour, because Nadal is the most intense guy on the tour, he wouldn't even give his own mother a point for free never mind a set!!!!!!

He has to be the most competitve guy's on the tour!!!
But that did make me laugh!!!!!

Fumus
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Nadal did not gift that set to Andre. Nadal played soo defensive that whole match until the third set. Rafa was just keeping the ball in play and letting Agassi mess up. I think he knew that Agassi was going to hit for the lines and make mistakes because he had never played Rafa before. Truth be told in the second set Agassi started to come in the court much more and just blasting shots to Rafa's backand. After a couple sonic blasts from Agassi, Rafa would cough up a short ball and Agassi would have his way with Rafa. Third set Rafa said I need to step up and played more agressive.

Puschkin

I am afraid this interpretation might be too naive. I just can't imagine any tennis professional giving out sets as presents out of respect or friendship.

its.like.that
Donīt try to figure this kid out, heīs still a little grasshopper looking for some attention ;)

your calls are wittier and your insults inflict deeper wounds each time you post... even though they're always the same :scratch:

lol :retard:

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Too funny ! :D

The thread starter was trying to be funny right? :confused:

:lol: that's for you to decide, cobba ;)

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Nadal did not gift that set to Nadal.

can't argue with you there...

:haha:

PamV
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Agassi had worked Nadal in the 2nd set. Nadal didn't give Agassi anything. Nadal ran side to side all over the court and Agassi had him out of position enough to win the points. By the 3rd set Agassi was too tired to keep going. He's 35 and he had to play two matches the day before.

mickymouse
08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
If so, then I wonder why he was giving Agassi all those dagger looks in the second and third set........ not in keeping with a charitable nature, I'll say.

mickymouse
08-16-2005, 03:27 PM
oops, forgot to mention the time-out for 'cramps' at 15-15 during the match with Moya....guess that was to allow Moya a rest

Clara Bow
08-16-2005, 03:34 PM
By the 3rd set Agassi was too tired to keep going. He's 35 and he had to play two matches the day before.

It wasn't just Agassi being tired, but also that Nadal changed his tactics and became more agressive in the third. Nadal was too defensive in the first and second set, and Agassi was really able to take advantage of that in the second set when he was shooting to Nadal's backhand. Nadal even said after the match that he realized after the second set that he needed to alter his game to be more aggresive in the third.

Skyward
08-16-2005, 03:44 PM
http://iris.etv.cx/EMOTICONS/smillies/LAUGHT~211.GIF

to people responding seriously.

Deivid23
08-16-2005, 03:45 PM
your calls are wittier and your insults inflict deeper wounds each time you post... even though they're always the same :scratch:

lol :retard:

One of the many differences in our styles is that I donīt like to insult anyone (you canīt say the same) and being wittier than you is an easy task, honestly.

PD: My repetitive label of "little grasshopper" concerning you reflects perfectly the fact of being an amateur who tries to make people think heīs playing with the big guys, nothing to do with an insult and you shouldnīt take that as an offense, just face the reality and deal with it ;)

jacobhiggins
08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Rafa is going to have to up his game in the future, becasue his heavy topspin shots are becoming predictable. Watching the Agassi match I realized, He dosen't really do anything that special, he's very fast and hits with a lot of topspin, when players start to learn to play him, then Nadal could be in a little trouble, this is a breakout out year much like Roddick!

fabolous
08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
cuz he placed a bet on a 3-set victory, where the odds are much higher than on a 2-set victory :p

madmanfool
08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Rafa is going to have to up his game in the future, becasue his heavy topspin shots are becoming predictable. Watching the Agassi match I realized, He dosen't really do anything that special, he's very fast and hits with a lot of topspin, when players start to learn to play him, then Nadal could be in a little trouble, this is a breakout out year much like Roddick!

What's so special about him, is that he hardly makes any unforced errors
You have to win every single point against him, no free gifts

nkhera1
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
The better question is why did Nadal give 3 sets to Muller at Wimbledon? Surely he could have won in straight sets.

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 04:47 PM
One of the many differences in our styles is that I donīt like to insult anyone (you canīt say the same) and being wittier than you is an easy task, honestly.

PD: My repetitive label of "little grasshopper" concerning you reflects perfectly the fact of being an amateur who tries to make people think heīs playing with the big guys, nothing to do with an insult and you shouldnīt take that as an offense, just face the reality and deal with it ;)

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

why do you persist at attempting to come across as a man of great wisdom and knowledge? who are you fooling? really... giving yourself raps, and preaching utter nonsense doesn't quite cut it for me somehow... :sad:

I really wish I could match it with you and John Gotti and the other "big guys" to whom you refer, but some of us just don't have what it takes to be figureheads in society.

That said, you should be thankful for your grey matter, but perhaps your elitist efforts would be better spent in emulating Garcia Lorca, rather than urinating mindless connotations and arguing that 1 = 1.

Look forward to hearing from you soon :wavey:.

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 04:49 PM
cuz he placed a bet on a 3-set victory, where the odds are much higher than on a 2-set victory :p

finally we're starting to answer the question... :)

rofe
08-16-2005, 04:53 PM

why do you persist at attempting to come across as a man of great wisdom and knowledge? who are you fooling? really... giving yourself raps, and preaching utter nonsense doesn't quite cut it for me somehow... :sad:

I really wish I could match it with you and John Gotti and the other "big guys" to whom you refer, but some of us just don't have what it takes to be figureheads in society.

That said, you should be thankful for your grey matter, but perhaps your elitist efforts would be better spent in emulating Garcia Lorca, rather than urinating mindless connotations and arguing that 1 = 1.

Look forward to hearing from you soon :wavey:.

This is the only sensible message from you in this entire thread (that you started). :p

its.like.that
08-16-2005, 04:59 PM
This is the only sensible message from you in this entire thread (that you started). :p

go to bed, it's late...

rofe
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
go to bed, it's late...

Not everyone lives where you do - unless you also think the world is flat...

disturb3d
08-16-2005, 06:07 PM
His play in the third set proved he could've taken Andre out at any time.Andre had a higher amount of unforced errors and winners.
The final score was up to him, not Nadal.

Fumus
08-16-2005, 06:11 PM
can't argue with you there...

:haha:

Dude, I didn't re-read it...lol

I got interupted biatches, you knew what I meant. :D

nobama
08-16-2005, 06:44 PM
What about the tb and two sets he gifted to Roger in Miami? Roger is feeling lonely being left out of the discussion. :sad:

1sun
08-16-2005, 06:49 PM
What about the tb and two sets he gifted to Roger in Miami? Roger is feeling lonely being left out of the discussion. :sad:
:lol:

Fumus
08-16-2005, 06:53 PM

Yea, Nadal doesn't lose he gifts. It's all in Nadal's grand plan of things. :)

BD006
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM

nobama
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Yea, Nadal doesn't lose he gifts. It's all in Nadal's grand plan of things. :)Yes, that 5 hour final in Rome (plus the blisters) was a gift to Roger as well. Rafa knows how sentimental Roger is about Hamburg so he thought he'd let Rogi win that one. What a guy. :worship:

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't know why Rafa gave that set to Agassi. Why do people give sets after rain delays? That really annoys me. It should have been won in two, but oh well. Rafa still won!

tennischick
08-16-2005, 07:29 PM
the more important question: why did Pat and Cliffy ask Nadal so many questions flipping about Agassi? you'd swear Agassi had won the flipping match :devil:

it was bad enough having to listen to them cream themselves over Agassi throughout the match -- altho' Pat was more honest in admitting that Agassi didn't stand a chance. but to torment poor Nadal with his limited English with so many questions about Agassi was both unfair and disrespectful.

same for Rogi last night. first Brad calls him Blake to his face which is bad enuf. and then they hustled him off the air in the middle of his answering their stupid question. Roger handled it brilliantly of course, but ugh, these commentators can be so disrespectful to non-Americans. :mad:

NYCtennisfan
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I believe the thread starter went attention fishing and caught some attention fish.

megadeth
08-17-2005, 01:16 AM
thats the most stupid thing ive ever herd.

i agree. no pro in their right mind would give a set away no matter how good he is.

in tennis, even if you're up 2 sets to love in a 5-set match and up 5-0 in the 3rd, you can still lose.

i remember agassi even saying that if there's a chance to close out an opponent sooner, then go for it.

and also, purposely extending it to 1 more set shows arrogance rather than charity to one's elders or mentors. plus, you also run the risk of being injured with that extra set.

the reason nadal WAS TAKEN to 3 sets against Moya is he had to tone down his pumping up antics OUT OF RESPECT but not because he gave a set purposely.

bad gambler
08-17-2005, 01:21 AM
jimbo you bored when you started this thread?

when i return to Oz, lets catch up for a beer :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 02:12 AM
http://iris.etv.cx/EMOTICONS/smillies/LAUGHT~211.GIF

to people responding seriously.
*snort*

cleverdutchclogs
08-17-2005, 02:29 AM
I find first post on this thread utterly patronising and insulting - the person who posted it obviously never watched the match or knows absolutely nothing about tennis.

Think about this...if you are going to tank a set away, what idiot would do it on his own serve (like Nadal did)! It would mean that his opponent (Agassi) would be serving first in the final set - which he did!

If he was going to tank the set on his serve, he would have done it at 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4............definately not 4-5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Dude, I didn't re-read it...lol

I got interupted biatches, you knew what I meant. :D

it's cool champ

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:56 AM

Miami was more of a Rafa-choke.

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 02:59 AM
I believe the thread starter went attention fishing and caught some attention fish.

1. ok, I haven't heard that before :rolleyes: .

2. then why are you posting here?

3. are you not seeking attention by making this post?

4. if you're going to post nonsense like this, stay out of my threads.

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
*snort*

hey chlo, nice to see you here :)

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:02 AM
jimbo you bored when you started this thread?

when i return to Oz, lets catch up for a beer :D

ok champ, I'll let you know when I'm up in Sydney again...

and you still haven't guessed who my new tennis coach is. :sad:

its.like.that
08-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I find first post on this thread utterly patronising and insulting - the person who posted it obviously never watched the match or knows absolutely nothing about tennis.

Think about this...if you are going to tank a set away, what idiot would do it on his own serve (like Nadal did)! It would mean that his opponent (Agassi) would be serving first in the final set - which he did!

If he was going to tank the set on his serve, he would have done it at 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4............definately not 4-5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYCtennisfan
08-17-2005, 05:48 AM
1. ok, I haven't heard that before .

2. then why are you posting here?

3. are you not seeking attention by making this post?

4. if you're going to post nonsense like this, stay out of my threads.

thanks

LOL! You know what I mean.

Ten_Isse_Fan
08-17-2005, 06:17 AM
Oops, Tomas got too much respect from Rafa :devil: