Are indoor courts faster than Wimbledon? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are indoor courts faster than Wimbledon?

konyalikartal
08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Some of tennis fans here say as if indoor courts are the fastest of all courts. What are your opinions?

Deivid23
08-16-2005, 12:58 PM
I think people who actually have played in both surfaces will give you a more accurate approach but from what Iīve seen and what Iīve been told by players, indoor carpet is the fastest surface, grass has the handicap of balls bouncing too low but that not necesarily means the surface is faster imo.

Bilbo
08-16-2005, 01:02 PM
yes, indoor carpet is the fastest surface on tour

konyalikartal
08-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Then what about the indoor hard courts? Are they too different from indoor carpet courts? For example if we want to grade them according to their speed what will be the result among grass, indoor hard and indoor carpet courts?

TheBoiledEgg
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
they were Faster than grass, they've been slowed down and there's not many carpet courts left.
then again these days the grass they use are slower than some of the hard courts.

nothing was faster than playing on wood :bolt:

skel1983
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I hear alot of players say Basle in Switerland is the fastest on the tour. Wimbledon is not the fastest, Grass benefit's your serve more i.e Roddicks record at Wimbledon, but it's not the fastest.

Eve83
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
There are also different kind of carpets. So you canīt say for sure which is the fastest one.

Iīve never played on real grass. I have the opportunity to play at Gerry Weber Halle which is around the corner but spending 50 Dollars for an hour is too much. Iīd like to cause I also love playing on carpet, itīs an amazing speed and the ball doesnīt bounce much high up.

Alvarillo
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
some indoors courts in Belarus, Czech Republik or Slovak Republik are ICE !
Spaniards and Argentineans can tell you ;)

Fee
08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
The indoor hard court used for San Jose is 'medium' according to the players each year. It was kind of slow the first year I went there (2002) but I think its been a little faster since then. I think the indoor courts used at Memphis are a little bit faster, since they are permanent, but neither one of those is as fast as indoor carpet.

Gonzalo81
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
I heard that once Paraguay used the same floor than a basketball court in a DC tie....I can imagine that would be the fastest court that you can find...donīt you think?

NYCtennisfan
08-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Yes, indoor CARPET is the fastest but a damp, slightly slick grass court is right up there. Too bad there aren't very many indoor carpet events anymore like there used to be.

Caralimon
08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
I heard that once Paraguay used the same floor than a basketball court in a DC tie....I can imagine that would be the fastest court that you can find...donīt you think?

Not just once sadly.

Eve83
08-16-2005, 11:50 PM
I love they way how carpet feels like under your feet...so soft;)

Luv carpet

federer express
08-17-2005, 02:22 AM
then again these days the grass they use are slower than some of the hard courts.

i dont believe that. if it is true and they do play like slow hard courts then why is federer the only guy to have beaten roddick on grass in the last 3 years?