federer vs blake update [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

federer vs blake update

megadeth
08-16-2005, 12:59 AM
roger currently leads 1 set to love. but was won on a tie break.

looks like he's still trying to shake off the rust...

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Roger is very rusty, making some bad errors. He is down a break in the 2nd

Mistaflava
08-16-2005, 01:23 AM
off-topic....your beloved Kaysar is GONZO!

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 01:50 AM
off-topic....your beloved Kaysar is GONZO!

:ras: Thanks for rubbing it in.

wcr
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
7-6, 7-5

megadeth
08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
a tough test for fed, but he was up against a guy who made it to the legg mason final...

Sjengster
08-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Ironic that Federer blows a chance to serve for the match at 4-4, then comes back from 0-40 on Blake's serve to break him at 5-5. Mind you, he still needed all three matchpoints to close it out. I don't care how dominant a player he is, when he's struggling through deuce games on his serve filled with breakpoints he's giving me coronaries. Much worse following a scoreboard than seeing it live of course, every point your player loses you attribute to a terrible error when it's not always the case.

wcr
08-16-2005, 01:56 AM
a tough test for fed, but he was up against a guy who made it to the legg mason final...

Good point, and, he needed only two sets to do it.

mangoes
08-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Ironic that Federer blows a chance to serve for the match at 4-4, then comes back from 0-40 on Blake's serve to break him at 5-5. Mind you, he still needed all three matchpoints to close it out. I don't care how dominant a player he is, when he's struggling through deuce games on his serve filled with breakpoints he's giving me coronaries. Much worse following a scoreboard than seeing it live of course, every point your player loses you attribute to a terrible error when it's not always the case.

Well it seems like he "kicked it up a notch" in the last game blake served for. I was watching the score via the boards during that game and I saw 40-love and thought, oh boy, looks like this is going to a third set. Well congrats roger. I guess he was a bit rusty after being away for a couple of weeks.

lucashg
08-16-2005, 02:01 AM

:yeah:

I didn't see the whole match, just most of the second set and he seemed so rusty, and a little bit tired. I guess that's all lack of matchplay. Six weeks is a long time off in the middle of the year. He was missing some shots he normally does with closed eyes, but still was good enough to win in straights.

I think his serve should've been more efficient, and he definitely should've used more slice - some bad mishits on that backhand in your everyday rally. At least the bits I saw he seemed to come to the net a lot more often than he usually does on hard, and that's good.

I hope he gets better as the tournament goes on. Hey, at least he won a match in Cincy, that's a good start.

nobama
08-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Roger should be glad he doesn't have to come home with me tonight. I would not be as kind as Mirka will be. He'd be sleeping on the couch or the floor. :devil:

I can't believe the Star Sports commentators said it was good tennis from both players. What are they smoking? :retard: Fed looked like shit, and Blake got tight and choked towards the end. I mean he choked away a 40-0 service game at 5 all. :retard: It really showed that Roger hadn't played a match in 6 weeks. Hopefully he'll step it up in R2. But a high quality match? I don't think so.

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 02:04 AM

I was watching the match, he didnt blow it Blake played really well :hatoff: , and served huge when he was down. Fed on the other hand was missing some easy shots and volleys on his own service game :o and getting a lot of pressure from Blake.
He was clearly rusty and looked relieved to be through, hopefully playing doubles will help get his rythm.

njnetswill
08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Federer is human. :eek:

*faints onto the ground*

World Beater
08-16-2005, 02:10 AM
:yeah:

I didn't see the whole match, just most of the second set and he seemed so rusty, and a little bit tired. I guess that's all lack of matchplay. Six weeks is a long time off in the middle of the year. He was missing some shots he normally does with closed eyes, but still was good enough to win in straights.

I think his serve should've been more efficient, and he definitely should've used more slice - some bad mishits on that backhand in your everyday rally. At least the bits I saw he seemed to come to the net a lot more often than he usually does on hard, and that's good.

I hope he gets better as the tournament goes on. Hey, at least he won a match in Cincy, that's a good start.

In the first set he was rallying from the back. He saw that he was sucking, so he decided to come forward a lot more and pressure blake. Federer's return of serve was the difference in the match. He was able to hit some great returns and put pressure when he was a break down in the second.

Blake hit some great shots, but, its the same story of being too inconsistent and not playing the big points well.

I thought fed looked real bad out there. He was playing it like a practice match. He was in 2nd gear.

alexito
08-16-2005, 02:12 AM
the perfect federer in tie break? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nobama
08-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Roger http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/puke/vomit-smiley-001.gif Please get it together for R2.

nobama
08-16-2005, 02:19 AM
I thought fed looked real bad out there. He was playing it like a practice match. He was in 2nd gear.His lack of match play really showed. He missed some easy shots and was dumping stuff into the net. And I never felt comfortable when he was serving. Hopefully he got the jitters out of his system and will do better next round.

World Beater
08-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Does anyone notice how alexito almost never responds to posters, but will respond only to the thread title?

Chloe le Bopper
08-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Does anyone notice how alexito almost never responds to posters, but will respond only to the thread title?
Yes. alexito is hawt.

lau
08-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Federer is human. :eek:

*faints onto the ground*
That`s exactly what I though.

wcr
08-16-2005, 02:42 AM

What a pleasant surprise. Someone staying focused on the topic at hand.

World Beater
08-16-2005, 02:44 AM
What a pleasant surprise. Someone staying focused on the topic at hand.

Would you rather I start a new thread, so you can complain about that instead? :)

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 02:55 AM
the perfect federer in tie break? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Only Rafa is perfect, everyone else just sucks

yanchr
08-16-2005, 02:58 AM
Much worse following a scoreboard than seeing it live of course, every point your player loses you attribute to a terrible error when it's not always the case.
It is the case for a set and more than a half for Federer, also Blake was very glad to contribute quite some too. And I will tell you it's not much better to see him miss balls horribly, but ya still better than stupid sb.

yanchr
08-16-2005, 03:02 AM
I can't believe the Star Sports commentators said it was good tennis from both players. What are they smoking? :retard:
Have you heard them mention more than twice that it's so good to have this great man back into action? I can tell you, the commentators esp the older one just likes Roger so much. I guess they are tired of what they saw in Canada and are starving for Roger's tennis :lol:

NYCtennisfan
08-16-2005, 03:10 AM
Blake is pretty good on hardcourts. This one was going to be tough from the start. Good win for Federer.

nobama
08-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Have you heard them mention more than twice that it's so good to have this great man back into action? I can tell you, the commentators esp the older one just likes Roger so much. I guess they are tired of what they saw in Canada and are starving for Roger's tennis :lol:Are these the same guys that commented the Roger/Andre match at AO? It seemed like whenever Roger missed a shot one of them would bring up the fact he hasn't played in 6 weeks, trying to excuse away the error. :lol:

I love Roger, but I wasn't loving him tonight. They kept showing Mirka in the stands....and I kept wondering what was going through her mind tonight. :lol: You have to wonder what kind of mood Roger is in after a match like this. Still, I'm glad he got through and in straight sets no less.

But please Roger, no brainfarts in R2, OK? :)

lucashg
08-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Are these the same guys that commented the Roger/Andre match at AO? It seemed like whenever Roger missed a shot one of them would bring up the fact he hasn't played in 6 weeks, trying to excuse away the error. :lol:

:lol: Not the same commentators, but I understand exactly what you mean. One of them gets so excited whenever he hits those amazing shots it gets kinda annoying, but I love nonetheless. It's great to have him back and it's understandable that his match wasn't all that good. Who commented his match today was more calm, but pointed out that his lack of matchplay might have been the reason. Obvious, but...

yanchr
08-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Are these the same guys that commented the Roger/Andre match at AO? It seemed like whenever Roger missed a shot one of them would bring up the fact he hasn't played in 6 weeks, trying to excuse away the error. :lol:

I love Roger, but I wasn't loving him tonight. They kept showing Mirka in the stands....and I kept wondering what was going through her mind tonight. :lol: You have to wonder what kind of mood Roger is in after a match like this. Still, I'm glad he got through and in straight sets no less.

But please Roger, no brainfarts in R2, OK? :)
I don't know if it's the same commentators, probably not. Usually it's these two commentators in most TMS events and I love them :D

Mirka was so tanned. I was wondering why Roger was not that bad :scratch: I bet Roger was very happy with the win today, but wouldn't be happy about the performance. But we know he is not the guy who likes to push things. So he will be fine, except maybe the humidity thing would get to him.

Dirk
08-16-2005, 04:09 AM
He was off for 6 weeks give him a break. Roger will do better in the next round.

jacobhiggins
08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
He played pretty bad tonight, but he still won in straight sets, so this was a good practice match for him, he'll pick it up, he's the best!

nobama
08-16-2005, 10:45 AM
He was off for 6 weeks give him a break. Roger will do better in the next round.He'll have to. As he said he needs more match practice, but he'll have to play better than he did last night to keep advancing. But I guess the sign of a true champion is you get through even when you're playing like shit. And in straight sets no less. Here's what Roger said last night:

What counts is that I got through it. I was disappointed that I couldn't make all the returns I wanted. I was getting aced quite frequently, which is not normal. It shows the eye is not quite there like it was in Wimbledon. It's a matter of getting used to it."
And Blake said:
"I really don't think Roger was at his best; he hasn't played in a little while," Blake said. "That's not an insult. That's a compliment, because he beat me at less than 100 percent. That's something guys on the top are able to do. They find a way to come up big on break points and in tiebreakers. He really raised his game, and that puts a little pressure on me because I know I have to do something special to break him."

Alisa
08-16-2005, 11:19 AM
but still he won... of course it's all only because of this break he had. he'll do better from match to match i quess.

rofe
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
He scraped through in the 1st round and watching him play, I think he will unfortunately scrape through in the second round (most probably against Keifer). I use the word unfortunate because we won't see his beautiful game.

It seems that it takes him longer to adjust to new conditions than all the other top ten players. In the interview with ESPN he said that he has to get used to conditions different from Wimbledon because on HC the points have to be constructed over a longer period of time. :eek:

Fed, wake up! Wimbly is firmly in the past! Nostalgia is not going to win matches for you on HC.

nobama
08-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I wasn't happy with the way he played either, but I'll reserve judgement until after the Kiefer match. I'm glad he's playing doubles. More practice is a good thing.

rofe
08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
I wasn't happy with the way he played either, but I'll reserve judgement until after the Kiefer match. I'm glad he's playing doubles. More practice is a good thing.

It is good that he is playing doubles but I think against Keifer he will be tentative since he has only gone to the 2nd round once in four tries. Once he crosses that psychological barrier I expect him to really shine.

skel1983
08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
That is the sign of a great player, not playing well still wins in stright set's, for me Federer plays the big point's so well and that's what gets him out of trouble when he is obviously not playing well.

tennischick
08-16-2005, 01:50 PM
i'm responding to thread topic, not to any particular poster. so sue me. :p

Blake has definitely muscled up and is hitting the ball harder. his arms are now huger than they were a year ago. and while his calves are still scrawny even they are slightly bigger than they used to be. i still don't see him as a major contender but he is fit enuf to go more than a few rounds as his final in Washington showed. having said all this, i think that Roger played very well against an opponent who has not only improved but who played his go-for-broke style from the very first ball. Blake played his best, Roger was rusty like hell. Blake should have won. he didn't. congrats Rog. keep 'em coming. ;)

Art&Soul
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Not a bad start, Keep it up ROGI ;) Of course with straight sets victories :)

rofe
08-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Keifer just took care of his opponent pretty easily. Were it not for Keifer's choking ways, I would give a 40-60 chance for Fed to win the match against Keifer.

Nimomunz
08-16-2005, 03:16 PM
kiefer might go apeshit again so............... i'm seeing fed taking that one!!

uNIVERSE mAN
08-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Kiefer is a piece of garbage as the match against Agassi proved.

Dirk
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Kiefer is dangerous. I hope Roger will be ready Wednesday. If he makes it past Kiefer he should reach the finals, at least I hope and wins his 4th Master of the year and would have won all the big hardcourt events.

nobama
08-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Kiefer is dangerous. I hope Roger will be ready Wednesday. If he makes it past Kiefer he should reach the finals, at least I hope and wins his 4th Master of the year and would have won all the big hardcourt events.Well, expcet Montreal.

nobama
08-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I remember Halle when he should have lost to Soderling in R1. He did get better as the tournament progressed and of course won it. I'd like to see the same thing happen here and then have him really hit his stride at the US Open.

1sun
08-16-2005, 05:43 PM
kiefer might go apeshit again so............... i'm seeing fed taking that one!!
Nimomunz, whos rack is that in your avatar?

Nimomunz
08-16-2005, 06:49 PM
*acting all coy* why you wanna know?

HONESTLY it aint mine!!

1sun
08-16-2005, 07:47 PM
*acting all coy* why you wanna know?

HONESTLY it aint mine!!
i dont know about you, but i dont hold grudges. so we had a little spat in a thread, so what? no harm done, this is a tennis form, of course we're gonna have agreements and disagreements. its all good man,peace? now tell me whos the rack? ;)

Nimomunz
08-16-2005, 08:41 PM
i dont know about you, but i dont hold grudges. so we had a little spat in a thread, so what? no harm done, this is a tennis form, of course we're gonna have agreements and disagreements. its all good man,peace? now tell me whos the rack? ;)
i was coy coz you were asking me about boobies! Really dunno my friend sent me a get wel adult ecard that apparently you pick one that looks like your own and she picked this one (her tits are not this good....trust me i know!!) but that rack is pretty nice so i said well i'll make that my avvy! mine personally are slightly bigger than those!!

1sun
08-16-2005, 08:55 PM
i was coy coz you were asking me about boobies! Really dunno my friend sent me a get wel adult ecard that apparently you pick one that looks like your own and she picked this one (her tits are not this good....trust me i know!!) but that rack is pretty nice so i said well i'll make that my avvy! mine personally are slightly bigger than those!!
lol.first of all that rack is simply :lick: and i think you should get a picture of your own and put em up!

nobama
08-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Here's some comments from Blake after the match. Class act all the way. :yeah:

Q. Beyond how he plays, how would you say Roger has handled being No. 1 and having the fame that goes along with that?

JAMES BLAKE: I think if possible even better than the way he plays. It's been pretty much flawless. He hasn't changed a bit. He hasn't been arrogant in the locker room; he never is. You know, that's great to see someone that does it with class. He doesn't intentionally get in anyone's face. He doesn't put people down. He goes about his business, he does everything he can, and he's still very accessible to fans. He's accessible, I'm sure, to the media; I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. To put a -- to add an anecdote to how great of a person he is, when I broke my neck last year in Rome, I got a visit from a couple of the Americans, but I got one note in the hospital and that was from Roger saying, "We'll miss you and we really hope you get back here quickly." That says a lot about a person that's No. 1 in the world and doesn't need another friend out here. He really is a class act. I applaud him for being a champion on and off the court.

Q. What do you think it would take for him to kind of light a fire as far as the American audience coming to his game and his way of play?

JAMES BLAKE: Get an American passport (smiling). I mean, that's the only thing I can think of. It seems that the American fans are going to always be partial to Andy Roddick, myself, Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri. And I do think they appreciate him everywhere in the world, though, because of the way he does go about it. But he's not going to come in with the attitude of even a Nadal or a Lleyton Hewitt or anything like that, he's going to go about his business. It took a little while, I think, for the fans to warm to Pete Sampras. I think he's comparable to that because he goes about his business, he doesn't throw temper tantrums, he doesn't throw his racquet, he doesn't do anything like that, and he doesn't, you know, disrespect any of the umpires. He goes about it in a very honorable way, which I really appreciate. And I think the fans, as he gets closer and closer to history, will appreciate it more and more, that he goes about it the right way. I hope especially parents take note of that and let their kids know that, "All right, this guy's the best in the world and he does it the right way." When I was a kid, I was a brat, and I unfortunately had John McEnroe as No. 1 in the world so I could say to my coach, "Look, he does it." So now hopefully those 12-year-olds that are brats, their parents can say, "Look, he's No. 1, and he's doing it the right way." So I hope kids see that.

1sun
08-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Here's some comments from Blake after the match. Class act all the way. :yeah:
cheers mirk.

megadeth
08-16-2005, 11:28 PM
lol.first of all that rack is simply :lick: and i think you should get a picture of your own and put em up!

yea, how about posting yours? :lick:

we wanna compare if it is indeed bigger... ;)

1sun
08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
yea, how about posting yours? :lick:

we wanna compare if it is indeed bigger... ;)
sorry to disappoint but im a dude and dont have a rack.

megadeth
08-16-2005, 11:54 PM
sorry to disappoint but im a dude and dont have a rack.

dude, i didn't mean you, i was joining in your conversation on egging her on...

1sun
08-16-2005, 11:59 PM
dude, i didn't mean you, i was joining in your conversation on egging her on...
ooo i see. egg sum more!

binkygirl
08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't think Federer's mind was there part of the time, in particular the times he completely missed the ball with the racquet. Watching that was surreal.

Nimomunz
08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
ooo i see. egg sum more!
as if! tsk tsk!