Have I been giving Ljubicic's Tennis Game too much credit?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Have I been giving Ljubicic's Tennis Game too much credit??

mangoes
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Ljubicic started the year so strongly that I estimated in earlier posts that he would finish the year in the top 8. Now, a couple of months later, he is being kicked out extremely early in tournaments by players he should be able to defeat. Have I given his game too much credit? Or is he a head case? Why isn't he in the top 8? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fumus
08-15-2005, 07:06 PM
see sucking in the dictionary.

Sjengster
08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
suck (sk)
v. sucked, suckˇing, sucks
v.tr.
1. To draw (liquid) into the mouth by movements of the tongue and lips that create suction.
a. To draw in by establishing a partial vacuum: a cleaning device that sucks up dirt (e.g. insect exterminator, Fumigator).
b. To draw in by or as if by a current in a fluid.
c. To draw or pull as if by suction: teenagers who are sucked into a life of crime.
3. To draw nourishment through or from: suck a baby bottle.
4. To hold, moisten, or maneuver (a sweet, for example) in the mouth.
5. Vulgar Slang To perform fellatio on.
v.intr.
1. To draw something in by or as if by suction: felt the drain starting to suck.
2. To draw nourishment; suckle.
3. To make a sound caused by suction.
4. Vulgar Slang To be disgustingly disagreeable or offensive.
n.
1. The act or sound of sucking.
2. Suction.
3. Something drawn in by sucking.
Phrasal Verbs:
suck in
To take advantage of; cheat; swindle.
suck up Slang
To behave obsequiously; fawn.

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
No you have not :)

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
see sucking in the dictionary.

See Davis Cup round 1 :) :wavey:

mangoes
01-08-2006, 10:03 PM
:lol: I had forgotten all about this.................. :lol:

nkhera1
01-08-2006, 10:28 PM
See Davis Cup round 1 :) :wavey:

I've never seen fans dwell on one victory more than Ljubicic fans. It must be because he doesn't have many other big wins.

I think Ljubicic will continue to be in the top 10 with his game especially if he can hit his forehand well, and he can probably move up because he doesn't have many points to defend from the Grand Slams.

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I've never seen fans dwell on one victory more than Ljubicic fans. It must be because he doesn't have many other big wins.Well they don't have too many other big important wins to dwell on :shrug:

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 10:42 PM
That was not a big win, that was a expected win, Agassi was old, and Ivan had plenty of game to beat Roddick, as we have seen in the last 2 matchs they played, you can even go back to Indy 2004 or USO 2003.

reason i bring up with americans is- "Croatia has no chance"

Next :drive:

revolution
01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Ljubicic, love him or hate him, has made sensational progress in a year. It will be intriguing to see how he does in slams though.

Mike, I called him an awful player to you before, but you do know I was joking :p

tangerine_dream
01-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I've never seen fans dwell on one victory more than Ljubicic fans. It must be because he doesn't have many other big wins.
Exactly. Team Croatia were treated like war heroes in their home country for defeating the US team in the first round of DC. :cool: Meanwhile, the USA's loss didn't even register a blip here; a yawn and a shrug. Kind of like a soccer match. :lol:

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Well they don't have too many other big important wins to dwell on :shrug:

So you quote nkhera1, and say same thing :confused: can't think for yourself :wavey:

It must be because he doesn't have many other big wins.

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Exactly. Team Croatia were treated like war heroes in their home country for defeating the US team in the first round of DC. :cool: Meanwhile, the USA's loss didn't even register a blip here; a yawn and a shrug. Kind of like a soccer match. :lol:

tennis in USA, think about it :wavey:

i bet 85% of Americans cant tell you who Roddick is :)

mangoes
01-08-2006, 11:00 PM

However, they can tell you who Agassi and Serena are....... :lol:

tangerine_dream
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM

I'll bet 99.999999% Americans don't know and don't care who Ljubicic is. :lol: :p Tennis is not big here, everyone knows that, but Roddick's Q rating is actually pretty high for a tennis player.

Still, in terms of street recognition, the US is still Agassi/Williams territory here. :cool:

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 11:12 PM
I'll bet 99.999999% Americans don't know and don't care who Ljubicic is. :lol: :p Tennis is not big here, everyone knows that, but Roddick's Q rating is actually pretty high for a tennis player.

i bet 3-4% do know :rolls:

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
That was not a big win, that was a expected win, Agassi was old, and Ivan had plenty of game to beat Roddick, as we have seen in the last 2 matchs they played, you can even go back to Indy 2004 or USO 2003.

reason i bring up with americans is- "Croatia has no chance"

Next :drive:

Thats a pretty poor reason to keep bringing it up just because someone makes a negative comment on Ljubicic's game, especially because the person who said that isn't even American. :rolleyes:

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Believe it or not Roddick is actually pretty popular. For instance when he hosted Saturday Night Live a few years back it was one of the most popular episodes. I would think that Roddick is a lot more marketable than Ljubicic can ever be.

liptea
01-09-2006, 12:09 AM

People know who Roddick is. He's been in a lot of magazines and stuff. But I bet they don't know what his tennis game is like.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Believe it or not Roddick is actually pretty popular. For instance when he hosted Saturday Night Live a few years back it was one of the most popular episodes. I would think that Roddick is a lot more marketable than Ljubicic can ever be.

Yes i would think that Roddick is more marketable in US, same as Ivan would be in Croatia. :)

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Thats a pretty poor reason to keep bringing it up just because someone makes a negative comment on Ljubicic's game, especially because the person who said that isn't even American. :rolleyes:

its a good reason, just go back and read some of the stuff that has been said before the tie started :rolls:

uNIVERSE mAN
01-09-2006, 12:15 AM

Still, in terms of street recognition, the US is still Agassi/Williams territory here. :cool:

99.999999% of Americans couldn't point out their country on a map.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
99.999999% of Americans couldn't point out their country on a map.

also a good point :yeah:

I was watching Jay Leno other night, and some guy said that Detroit is closest state to Canada. :D

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Yes i would think that Roddick is more marketable in US and everywhere excluding Crotia , same as Ivan would be in Croatia. :)

Thats more like it.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Thats more like it.

Serbia, Bosnia, i bet there is few more ;)

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
its a good reason, just go back and read some of the stuff that has been said before the tie started :rolls:

Now your just stretching. So your going to use that comeback on every negative Ljbicic remark just because some people thought he was going to get hammered in a match against America? You need to come up with something better or just stop.

rexman
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
To be frank, who cares how marketable someone is?

I care about tennis, not endorsement deals. Call me crazy.

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:24 AM
To be frank, who cares how marketable someone is?

I care about tennis, not endorsement deals. Call me crazy.

Determine's someones popularity which came into debate in this thread.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Now your just stretching. So your going to use that comeback on every negative Ljbicic remark just because some people thought he was going to get hammered in a match against America? You need to come up with something better or just stop.

im not talking about negative remarks about Ljubo, i am talking about everyone saying CROATIA HAD NO CHANCE :)

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:31 AM
im not talking about negative remarks about Ljubo, i am talking about everyone saying CROATIA HAD NO CHANCE :)

That has nothing to do with this thread.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
That has nothing to do with this thread.

okay