Will Murray get a US Open wildcard? (if he doesn't qualify automatic) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Murray get a US Open wildcard? (if he doesn't qualify automatic)

LaPetiteSerbe
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd think he would, as he's reigning junior champion...

jenanun
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
i doubt they will give him a wildcard..

now his ranking has gone up to around 135 this week.... so if he does well in cincy
(well, he maybe able to beat dent, as he did that in Queens.... but 2nd round, v likely to face safin, so..........) he may go up to just outside 100? so he may be able to play the qualifying round???

i think the player in the states would have the priorty to get the wildcard.....

skel1983
08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
The way he is playing i doubt he will need one, but previous junior champs haven't recieved one recently, but does he deserve one?? depends on who else is getting one, i think he will get one, from the vibes coming from his camp, he got one for Cinncy and Blake got one for Wimbledon, i know his mother is English but the Yanks will take that into account i would say it's 60-40 in favour of getting one.

skel1983
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Born in England 100% certain.

jtipson
08-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Born in England 100% certain.

My fault, I thought you meant Murray's mother ;) Bad reading on my part.

Experimentee
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
The junior champion does not get a main draw WC, only a qualifying one. He;s got no business being in the main draw anyway, unless he is good enough to qualify.

skel1983
08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
That's incorrect my friend there is no written rule for that????

Also he won't need a WC into qualifiers he will probably be seeded.

People seem to have a big problem with Andy Murray because they feel he is no better than players of similar age as him but he is getting all the breaks, but people have to realistic.

Murray played on Centre court against a worldwide renowned player David Nalbandian and battled it out for five sets, with a worldwide audience watching, this is why he is getting the breaks i.e wc into Cinncy, don't blame Murray he may not be as good as your Fav players, i.e Djokovic, but Murray is fortunate enough as to have played a top 10 player on one of the biggest stages in tennis.

A similar example would be in boxing(sorry if any of you guy's don't know much about the world of boxing) When Mike Tyson fought the Brit Danny Williams and Williams won, everyone wanted a piece of him his next fight was against The best in the business Vitali Klitshko???? Why prior to the Tyson fight he was a bum from England ranked outside the top 30 in the world, but he got world exposure.

So blame the game not the player.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't think so. If he wont get into USO, no problem. His goal should be AO.

skel1983
08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I totally agree, as his coach said, his goal has to be to break into top 100 by end of the year and earn the right to be in their without getting WC'S.but i think he will atleast qualify??? What do you think Fed express

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
If he has to qualify, he can do it. BUT for his fitness it's not the best to play 2 best of 3 sets and 1 best of 5 sets. It might lose him 50% of his total he can spend on 1 tournament. So it would be better to ask for a WC. IF he doesn't get 1. No matter, But he should try to qualify... If he thinks he's not ready yet to try it, he'll be on alternates. But a long way to go. If he makes the QF of Cincy(impossible/I don't think he's ready.) he would be ranked 101. in the world so it's possible that some guys have to pull out.... Canas, Johansson,....
Let's see what tomorrows match brings.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:05 PM
note, only 50% if he has to go the full distance. 11 sets total.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I can imagine if he doesn't: -he was a "fluke" but don't worry, he's the "real deal"!

skel1983
08-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Without a doubt, i think his main atribute is his winning mentality, that's why i feel he has the the cababilites of bettering Henman's career, he is the first brit who mentally(from what i have seen) has what it takes to be up there. Without a doubt, very impressive so far!!!!

croat123
08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
cilic, at 16, easily beat murray at the french juniors in the semis and he so far has gotten only 1 md wc (croatia open) and that was at the last second because another one of the wcs had made the final cut

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Juniors are a different thing. Murray loves to play in front of a big crowd. He likes challenges, juniors weren't that what he wanted to play. Now he's on another level, not to offend you Cilic.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
what was the score?

skel1983
08-15-2005, 04:17 PM
My point exactly!!! Who was watching that match??? no one, this guy might be a great player but no one knows who he is unfortunatly but if he is decent his time will come my freind.

croat123
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
7-5 6-3 (despite cilic getting big leads in both sets and choking)

the day before, murray said that he should have no problems winning the tournament ;)

skel1983
08-15-2005, 04:24 PM
That's incorrect, actully my friend you will find it was the other way round, Murray was 5-1 up in the first set and threw it away.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
That wasn't so easy.

cleverdutchclogs
08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
The US love Andrew Murray!

He has been given wildcards for Newport, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, and he has won 2 out of two Challenger events in the US!

Fee
08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
This thread has an odd cadence to it. Were some posts deleted?

Anyway, what some of you seem to have missed is that the Entry lists for the USO and the USO qualifying tournament are already done, based on rankings 6 and 3 weeks ago, respectively (they are posted in the tournament thread). Murray got direct entry into the qualifying tournament and based on the entry rankings on the day the qualie draw is made, he will be seeded.

As for the USO main draw wildcards, well the rumors are flying and it all depends on who you believe. I've tried to get some more info myself, but even the players I've spoken to have no real idea what is happening yet, just that the USTA is being lobbied very hard by everyone, especially the American guys. I guess we'll know in about a week when the qualie draw is made. :D

cleverdutchclogs
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Juniors are a different thing. Murray loves to play in front of a big crowd. He likes challenges, juniors weren't that what he wanted to play. Now he's on another level, not to offend you Cilic.

Good point!