Why do men hit harder than women? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do men hit harder than women?

Sinnet
08-15-2005, 05:16 AM
All this foolish discussion of Serena playing Roger in a match got me thinking: why is it that men hit so much harder than women, when the pros (men and women) are taught not only sometimes co-ed, but taught the same?

You can't say it's in strength alone, because I'm putting money down that Serena Williams would win an arm-wrestle against Andy Roddick, but when it coems to just a simple forehand, how is it that (using the same players) Andy can hit a forehand so much harder than Serena? Or is it only the spin?

You'd think that some genius coach would have trained an up-and-coming womens pro player to pretty much play like a guy. Isn't it possible for a female to play like a men's player? If they're a super athlete, you can't say they don't have the ability.

This is just an open discussion, I want some thoughts. I'm curious.

DanEd
08-15-2005, 05:18 AM
just strenght mate.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2005, 05:19 AM
There is more to hitting forehands than simply arm strength. You have to consider the whole body :p

Um, and I would be willing to debate this arm wrestling theory.

DanEd
08-15-2005, 05:21 AM
mens have more strength, endurance and speed than women ;)

Daniel
08-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Dan :wavey: :kiss:

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2005, 05:27 AM
mens have more strength, endurance and speed than women ;)
Endurance? I'm not disagreeing, I'm merely questioning if this is factual.

El Legenda
08-15-2005, 05:39 AM
men are better, women are for cooking and sex :rolls:

Pea
08-15-2005, 05:40 AM
They all take steroids.

mp3junkie
08-15-2005, 05:41 AM
It's simple....Testostorone (not sure if that's spelled right).

jbone_14
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Serena has bigger arm and calf muscles than 99.9% of the mens tour. Her and Nadal are like neck and neck :haha: I don't see why she couldn't, but it's probably because of their height and rotation because Ancic and Karlovic are like super skinny, but they can generate soo much power.

disturb3d
08-15-2005, 06:08 AM
just strenght mate.It has nothing at all to do with strength.
Timing, co-ordination and the ability to 'whiplash' all come into play when trying to hit a fast ball.

megadeth
08-15-2005, 06:11 AM
boobs tend to slow women down and sap their strength! just kidding1 hehehehe

bad gambler
08-15-2005, 07:34 AM
is there a reason for the higher than usual number of stuipid threads in GM recently?

star
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
men are better, women are for cooking and sex :rolls:

If only all I had to do was cook and have sex! Wouldn't life be grand. :)

skel1983
08-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Is this thread for real?????

Men are just stronger in all departments on a whole (in general anyway)

That question is so stupid, why don't women compete with men in all sporting events because men are different species.

I mean Serena against Roddick in an arm wrestle, i would put the house on Roddick winning that.

If people think Serena against any man in the top 100 would be close is kidding themselves!!!

It's like Johnny Mcenroe said a few years ago when Venus first came on to the scene he guarenteed he would beat her everytime.

joyk
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
It's like Johnny Mcenroe said a few years ago when Venus first came on to the scene he guarenteed he would beat her everytime. :bs:
Serena could beat a lot of the guys from top 100,not beat them up but win a tennis match.
I mean Serena against Roddick in an arm wrestle, i would put the house on Roddick winning that.
On that I agree,Roddick is physically stronger than Serena.

Why do men hit harder than women? Simpley put ,because they are stronger,but in tennis strenght isn`t that important.

star
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
:bs:
Serena could beat a lot of the guys from top 100,not beat them up but win a tennis match.

You cannot be serious!

:lol: :lol:

Experimentee
08-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Its in the strength. Spin doesnt make a ball go faster.

skel1983
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I have had this discussion before, fuuny enough with a guy who compiles odd's i asked him when Henin Hardenne won FO what the odd's would be if she met someone like Acasuso on clay

he said Acasuso would be 1.04 to win, so i think that says alot don't you!!!!!!

PamV
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Men have more strength and also more stamina because they simply have more muscle and all that testosterone. I also think they have higher bone density which contributes to overall strength.

I think it's highly unlikely Serena would win an arm wrestle with Andy.....maybe she could take one of the Rochus boys.

alfonsojose
08-15-2005, 05:44 PM
This thread :lol:

And just for the record, look at the head size of the Williamses' raquects. I would like to see them using Lindsay's raquect to hit their forehands. Lindsay's forehand :bowdown:

its.like.that
08-15-2005, 05:46 PM
why are Hantuchova's biceps bigger than Nadal's?

adidas11
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
i second skel1983's post re: this being a serious thread. i don't post much but to see this topic is, pardon me for saying, quite ridiculous.

and i'd still be on the rochus boys to beat ANYONE in the women's field in arm wrestling! as jonny mac would say, "are you serious? you've got to be kidding me" with this topic of why men hit harder and the arm wrestling issue.

but it's threads like these that make me laugh once in a while. it's good to laugh in life. :)

Paialii
08-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't call this thread ridiculous for someone that maybe doesn't understand all of the chemical etc. differences between the bodies of men and women, but the answer (which has been posted several times) is quite obvious in that overall, men are stronger, even if they don't look like it.

As for the arm wrestle deal, I think Roddick would take Serena out, despite Serena's arms looking big. They look big because she's a female. Give Roddick some more credit... he's pretty strong. ;)