Agassi withdraws from Cincy

tangerine_dream
08-15-2005, 03:20 AM
As expected......

Defending Champ Agassi Withdraws From Cincinnati

Andre Agassi
By Tennis Week
08/15/2005

Andre Agassi's Cincinnati appearance will be confined to a conference room rather than the court. Hours after falling to Rafael Nadal in the Montreal final, defending Cincinnati champion Agassi withdrew from the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, which begins on Monday in Mason, Ohio.

Agassi's agent, and best friend since childhood, Perry Rogers, informed the tournament of Agassi’s decision on Sunday night.

The three-time Cincinnati champion will meet with the media on Monday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center, home of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, to formally announce his withdrawal.

"Perry just called and said Andre is reluctantly unable to play," said tournament director Bruce Flory. "Perry said Andre had every intention to play in Cincinnati and was very much looking forward to defending his title. He said ‘Andre does not want to start something he can’t finish’. I respect his decision, and I think his choice to come to Cincinnati tomorrow shows a tremendous amount of class and respect for the tournament."

The 35-year-old Agassi was seeded seventh in the 64-man Cincinnati draw. He was scheduled to face Carlos Moya in the opening round. A year ago, Agassi beat three former No. 1 players in succession — conquering Moya in the quarterfinals, topping Andy Roddick in the semifinals and beating Lleyton Hewitt in the final — to raise his ATP record-extending 17th Masters Series shield in Cincinnati.

In Agassi's absence, top-ranked Roger Federer and Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick will both be in action on Monday. Roddick faces Austria's Jurgen Melzer Monday afternoon. Five-time Grand Slam champion Federer meets wild card James Blake on Monday night in his first match since beating Roddick to claim his third consecutive Wimbledon crown.

"We hate to lose any player, especially the defending champion, but with the stellar field we have in Cincinnati, highlighted by Roger Federer and Andy Roddick in action tomorrow, the tournament will still be spectacular," Flory said.

For tickets or information on the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, please call (513) 651-0303 or go to www.cincytennis.com.

jbone_14
08-15-2005, 03:21 AM
YAY!! Go Carlos!! :)

Daniel
08-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Who will replace Agassi on the draw?

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Nice that he will still make an appearance. I've always been a Pete girl, but wow, I have so much respect and admiration for Agassi after days like today. Retirement my ass

LaTenista
08-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Who will replace Agassi on the draw?

A lucky loser (LL) but I hope they don't add a 17th seed and move some players around in the draw.

star
08-15-2005, 04:12 AM
That was just a matter of time. :)

Ten_Isse_Fan
08-15-2005, 04:14 AM
YES! Xavier is in! :D :D And sincerely, that was VERY predictable. but I think it's the right thing to do. He's 35 and playing great tennis, he has to take care of his body.

NYCtennisfan
08-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Well, that was expected.

Carolinita
08-15-2005, 04:49 AM
Carlos has a better chance now :D

Daniel
08-15-2005, 04:59 AM
yep , hope he doesnt lose early again :p

Fee
08-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Fee-stradamus strikes again! (first page of the Monday OOP thread in the Cincy tournament forum). Then again, this one wasn't hard to predict at all. As soon as that final went to the 3rd set, I think everyone on this board knew that Agassi would pull out.

Very cool that he will go to Cincy anyway. :D

megadeth
08-15-2005, 05:13 AM
why pull out when even after cincy, there's still a week for rest before the USO?

Daniel
08-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Because his body is old and he gets too tired easily. He is not young and fresh anymore.

World Beater
08-15-2005, 06:00 AM
why pull out when even after cincy, there's still a week for rest before the USO?

Exactly. I dont think the extra few matches will hurt. If he played i wouldnt have expected him to go that deep but a few high quality contests could only do better for his form. I dont buy the age crap unless he is seriously hurting.

World Beater
08-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Because his body is old and he gets too tired easily. He is not young and fresh anymore.

Ha.

The USO is best of five, seven matches to title. If he really thinks he can win, he should be in physical condition to play cincy as well

Dirk
08-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Perhaps he wants to save his body solely for the USO and not risk getting hurt at Cincy.

megadeth
08-15-2005, 07:00 AM
well yea, but the way it comes off from the press is that it's coming out like andre is already old and fragile like a 50-yr old or something... :p

crouching
08-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Isn't Agassi already injured? He's been having cortisone injections to enable him to play.

I don't think it's wise for him to end up playing two weeks in a row, almost daily, against a tough field.

AZILANA
08-15-2005, 10:43 AM
well, better withdraw now than retire in the tournament... I dont want another scene like the Roland Garros... It really really breaks my heart...

PamV
08-15-2005, 10:45 AM
This will open up the section nicely for Moya. Still I would expect Safin to be the strongest contender in that quarter.

~EMiLiTA~
08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
so just clarifying they replaced him with malisse? so no #17 seed, right?

suus21
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't like pulling him out. He is the defending champion he can at least take a shot at it.

jtipson
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
so just clarifying they replaced him with malisse? so no #17 seed, right?

Might have been too late. They'd probably already done the order of play by the time they had official word about Agassi pulling out.

star
08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Isn't Agassi already injured? He's been having cortisone injections to enable him to play.

I don't think it's wise for him to end up playing two weeks in a row, almost daily, against a tough field.

He had a cortisone shot a long time ago -- shortly after Wimbledon. It's what's allowed him to play this summer. He can only have a couple of those each year. I think it's something like a 6 month wait between each injection.

TheBoiledEgg
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
i knew he was gonna withdraw before he played his QF

Andre going back to back TMS in his age :rolls:

he doesnt go back to back in normal tourns either.

hope Carlos gets going now :D :) take your chance Careless :smash:

its.like.that
08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
:woohoo: