What is wrong with Andy Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is wrong with Andy Roddick?

Sidneygod
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
and what are his chances at the US Open?

despite what has happened, Andy is still the 3rd favourite to win the US Open (behind Federer and Nadal).

So we must not give up hope! :worship:

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Many of us think it's a confidence problem that he is having right now. He seems to have good weeks like, say, Queens/Wimby or Washington DC or Houston and then follow up with something crappy (Indy, Montreal, or Rome, respectively). Some of us think he needs a sports psychologist - at least try it and see what happens. We know his game is improving and that he's in good shape, and we don't like to see him lose matches we know he could've or even should've won. But he's not really hitting with conviction or authority or confidence right now and so his shots are weaker and are sitting up and so his opponents are able to tree off on them and smack winners.

We hope he snaps out of it - sooner rather than later would be good :)

But of course he should do well at the USO - he hasn't lost before the QF there since he was a real pro (I don't really count 2000 when he was 17), so losing any time before the QF would be a big disappointment IMO. The rest would depend on his seeding and draw. If he's seeded 4, I'd expect him to make the semis but if he's seeded 5 and draws Fed in the Quarters, well the.... lol.

I believe he's capable of winning it, tennis-wise, but mentally I don't think he's in the right place right now.

Volcanic Tennis
08-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Eh, maybe you're right Deb, but I think I cursed him :X

Noelle
08-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Matt, you did not curse him! :(

Believe me, I went through a certain phase this year believing that I was a jinx on him. However, no matter what I did (no matter what superstitions I had :D ), all his matches were still just his to win or lose.

These days I've gone back to watching Andy's matches live and just trying to deal with the fact that our boy has a little mental problem that he has to deal with. But I'm sure he'll bounce back. :)

tangerine_dream
08-15-2005, 03:10 AM
Nothing.

superpinkone37
08-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Everything. ;)

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Okay, okay, I didn't curse him. :( It's easier to think that :P

Well, you know, he'll get back into it... hopefully sooner than later.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
andy = mental.

Fumus
08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
He's not the best player in the world that's his biggest problem. After that it's luck and confidence.

RodLo
08-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Oy...:banghead:

Carito_90
08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Apart from everything? nothing.