When Agassi played his first ATP match, Nadal wasn't born yet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When Agassi played his first ATP match, Nadal wasn't born yet

NYCtennisfan
08-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Agassi played his first carrer match at a once popular event in LaQuinta, California on Feburary 24th, 1986. He won that match against a guy named John Austin. He then lost to Mats Wilander, who was number 3 in the world at that time in the next match.

When Agassi won his first tournament on November 30th, 1987, Nadal was a little more than a year old.

When AGassi first cracked the top 10 in June 1988, Nadal just turned 2 years old.

When AGassi first cracked the top 5 in July 1988, Nadal was a little over 2 years old.

When Agassi made his first Grand Slam SF, Nadal was a little more than 2 years old.

When AGassi made his first Grand Slam final in 1990, Nadal was a little over 4 years old.

When Agassi won his first Grand Slam title at Wimby in 1992, Nadal was a little over 6 years old.

When Agassi first became number 1 in the world in April of 1995, Nadal was 8 years old, 2 months away from turning 9.

When Agassi completed the career slam in 1999, Nadal had just turned 13 years of age.

When Agassi first finished the year number 1 in the world, Nadal was a little over 13 years of age.

When Agassi won his 50th career title in 2002, Nadal was 15 years old going on 16.

When AGassi won his 60th career title earlier this summer, Nadal was 19 years of age and the #3 player in the world about to become #2.

And now they play tommorrow. I can't wait.

RonE
08-14-2005, 08:03 AM
:eek:

Amazing.

Actually in that regard I see a lot of similarities between Connors and Agassi. The former also started his carreer around the time the latter was born and they ended up having some very fiery and competitive matches between them! Should be a blast, I can't wait!!!

World Beater
08-14-2005, 09:50 AM
:eek:

Amazing.

Actually in that regard I see a lot of similarities between Connors and Agassi. The former also started his carreer around the time the latter was born and they ended up having some very fiery and competitive matches between them! Should be a blast, I can't wait!!!

Yes, but agassi actually dislikes the comparison between him and connors, when someone asked him about the similarities.

RonE
08-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Yes, but agassi actually dislikes the comparison between him and connors, when someone asked him about the similarities.

What I meant to say was the similarity not between Agassi and Connors in terms of their playing style but rather the similarities between the Agassi-Connors matchups and the Nadal-Agassi matchups insofar as the generation gap in both cases was so large.

NYCtennisfan
08-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Amazing.

Very interesting. Do you remember their battle at the USO when Agassi was 18 and Connors was 35?

RonE
08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Very interesting. Do you remember their battle at the USO when Agassi was 18 and Connors was 35?

Well I was only about what? 8 or 9 myself at the time :lol:

But I remember they met in the '88 USO quarters where Agassi gave him a real thrashing and then proceeded to say something along the lines of "oh, I think I should have beaten him 2, 2 and 1" in the PC.

That really pissed ol' Jimmy boy off and I was lucky enough to watch a taped match of theirs during one of the rain delays of their rematch the following year (1989) which Agassi eeked out in five sets. But you could see the aggravation and determination of Connors after what had occured the previous year to put the young brat in his place and to his credit he almost did! What an amazing match. :worship:

oneandonlyhsn
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Andre is a legend :worship:

Vivaciousvibes
08-14-2005, 09:14 PM
NADAL is one game away from putting ole granny pa Agassi back in his rocking chair!

NYCtennisfan
08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
ANd now it comes full circle with Nadal defeating Agassi. Wonderful match.

binkygirl
08-15-2005, 12:50 AM
That guy named John Austin is the older brother of tennis legend, Tracy Austin. He was an agent for a while. He's married to the fitness celebrity, Denise Austin.