Rafael vs. Andre : Who will win Montreal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafael vs. Andre : Who will win Montreal

alfonsojose
08-14-2005, 03:01 AM
I want Andre :hug: but Nadal is going to be tough :speakles:

bad gambler
08-14-2005, 03:02 AM
so where is the poll? :silly:

I'll be aboard the A-train tomorrow, Nadal will get plenty more chances to win more Masters tournamnets in the future

jenanun
08-14-2005, 03:04 AM
ahh... i dunno who i want to win..... both my fav player....

i think i want andre to win more...
but nadal.... i want him to win as well...

i dont mind, whoever win, i will be happy!

hope its going to be a 5 set match,... yeah!

bad gambler
ah that is better ;)

Breakaway
I am really not sure who will win this match... I say Nadal in 3 sets though.

DanEd
08-14-2005, 03:06 AM
hmmmmmmm it is pretty even dunno who will win. I hope both players will play their best.

i think agassi can win of course after all he is a legend, a myth ;)

jenanun
08-14-2005, 03:06 AM
how many sets are they going to play in the final?
i m confused....

nobama
08-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Andre I hope. At this stage in his career who knows when it'll be his last. I can't believe he has 17 MS titles. That's incredible!

oneandonlyhsn
08-14-2005, 03:13 AM
how many sets are they going to play in the final?
i m confused....

Its a best of 3 sets I believe

Good luck to both players :D

Lee
08-14-2005, 03:15 AM
I pick Nadal in 2 but I'm pretty bad in prediction. :shrug:

Ten_Isse_Fan
08-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Why is it best of three!! That sucks!! Up to this year, it was a best of five only in TMS Europe, but this year, it's been best of five in ALL TMS, including Indian Wells and Miami. If Montreal plays best of three, I think it's kinda stupid. It should logically be best of five and I hope it is.

nobama
08-14-2005, 03:23 AM

Good luck to both players :DHow do you know? Does it say on the website or did they mention it on TV or something? I don't know why this one would be different than the other MS events.

BAMJ6
08-14-2005, 03:23 AM
If Andre wins tomorrow, then we won't see him again until the US Open because 35 year old athletes need lots more rest and preparation than those in their 20's

He won't suffer in the rankings if he wins so he can afford it. Nobody wants to see a repeat of Andre grimacing in pain at this US Open like he did in the French Open now do we?

DanEd
08-14-2005, 03:26 AM
yes it is

Good luck to both players :D

YoursTruly
08-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Too hard to choose, it's like a crime to ask this question! Roger-Andre-Rafael is it for me during these days! Okay let me try....I think it's obvious to be a tough one as it's Andre and Rafael, but it's hardcourt and Andre has so much experience in this kind of tournament and plays best on hardcourt (remember Roger def. Rafael at Ericsson Open). Plus, more people know Rafael's game now. But Rafael is just too tough becuase he's got the clay court game and both offense and defense and he's improved so much since the Ericsson, plus he's now a champion. I don't know but I'm just cheering for a great match between these two and I want to see an era vs. era match with them bringing their best and nobody getting injured! But to keep from going on and on, I'll just say that I want Andre to win this even by 1% more because he's THE MAN! And he's in the last part of his career and he's been through hard times again and again, and Rafael is so young that he'll have so many chances. Here's to a great final!

alfonsojose
08-14-2005, 03:32 AM
If Andre wins tomorrow, then we won't see him again until the US Open because 35 year old athletes need lots more rest and preparation than those in their 20's

He won't suffer in the rankings if he wins so he can afford it. Nobody wants to see a repeat of Andre grimacing in pain at this US Open like he did in the French Open now do we?
winning or losing i don't see him playing on Cincy. And he has a tought 1st round match against Moya

Scotso
08-14-2005, 03:33 AM
It does suck that it's best of three. Pf.

tangerine_dream
08-14-2005, 03:57 AM
THE MAN in two, I hope. :D

ugotlobbed
08-14-2005, 03:58 AM
WAT A MATCH FOR THE AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if masha comes to my door tomorrow i will tell her, after the match.

lucashg
08-14-2005, 04:02 AM
I really want Agassi to win. He's been playing well, he's still one of the best on the tour and needs a big title and he's obviouly hitting his last days as a pro tennis player. It will be nice to see Nadal proving he can win outside clay, and setting himself apart from the field even more (except Roger), but he'll have plenty of those titles to win in the future.

I think Nadal's the favorite, but I can see Agassi winning if he's playing his best and moving Nadal side to side, serving and returning well.

Ten_Isse_Fan
08-14-2005, 04:03 AM
WAT A MATCH FOR THE AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if masha comes to my door tomorrow i will tell her, after the match.
There's a lot of things I would do before answering that door ;) Like eating fish and chips... washing my windows... reading a Freud book and analyzing it... going out with friends. Hopefully when I'd be back the next morning, she would be gone :)

NYCtennisfan
08-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I wish they made all the finals of TMS events best of 5. Oh well. I think Nadal goes into this match as a slight betting favorite, probably at .70 or maybe at .65. Agassi will try to go to the open Nadal FH with deep BH's cross court and then hit FH's to Nadal's BH an make him run around but Nadal will chase things down. It should be really fun to watch.

Gogo123
08-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Damn, I want to go see the match live but the tickets are sold out...does anyone know if I will find tickets at the box office?

GonzoFan
08-14-2005, 05:05 AM
I can't wait to see this match !!!! :D
I say Nadal in 3 ...

rofe
08-14-2005, 05:35 AM
I think Andre can win if he is more aggressive and tries to be more like Gonzo on more points than he has this past week. Just trying to keep the ball in play is a sure way to lose to Nadal since extended rallies will simply take the wind out of Andre and Nadal will match that strategy and use it to his own advantage. Andre has to take risks and big ones at that to have a chance to win against Nadal. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that he should become a server and volley player overnight 'cause that would be sure way for him to lose against Nadal.

His serving has to be top notch and he has to put something extra in his first serve.

njnetswill
08-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Nadal in 3.

World Beater
08-14-2005, 05:40 AM
All that training of staying on the baseline and not backing away will be incredibly useful against the dipping top spin of nadal. Andre needs to take the ball on the bounce so as to minimize the effect of the ball kicking off the surface.

He also needs to be very patient in moving nadal around. So many players are forced into overhitting due to nadal's speed. Andre will need to punish returns and gain the upper hand early in points. I also think nadal's fh is vulnerable when attacked with pace, as he has a large swing and tends to mishit when rushed.

superpinkone37
08-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Hmmmm this is hard. I guess I would say Rafa in three. I didn't think that Rafa would be able to play as well as he has this week, especially it being the first tournament on hard for him since Miami. But I have been pleasantly surprised by him, and I think he can and will beat Andre. However, Andre has been surprising me as well. But it's been a long week for him I'm sure, and he had to finish a match and play a full one. It will be an exciting match for sure, and I'm looking forward to it :D

yomike
08-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Andre please win this one. I like claycourters better :worship: but Nadal's an exception. He gets me too overly excited :devil: . It's gonna be 17th or 18th? Master Series for Andre. I was hoping for Gaudio to have won but Agassi will be more equipped to pounce Nadal. Agassi will win in straight sets or he loses the second set and wins like Cincy last year.

LaTenista
08-14-2005, 06:11 AM
I think Andre will win because they are actually very similar in style but Andre's backhand is probably the best on tour. It will be close and a grueling 3 set battle but at this point Andre's experience will be what gets the job done. If they have a rematch next year though, I'd say Nadal.

lau
08-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Hard to say. :unsure:
Rafa in 3... :shrug:

oneandonlyhsn
08-14-2005, 06:28 AM
:eek: Match is cancelled you guys

Just kidding but its supposed to rain quite heavily tomorrow

World Beater
08-14-2005, 06:43 AM
I think Andre will win because they are actually very similar in style .

:confused: :o :rolleyes:

Poljud
08-14-2005, 06:55 AM
If Andre wins it will be motivation for him to go on which is what most of us want to see. Rafa will have plenty of other chances, go ANDRE!

Anna777
08-14-2005, 07:08 AM
It'll be an interesting match :aplot:
But I say :banana: GO RAFA :banana: (in 3)!!

Art&Soul
08-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I hope Agassi, Go Andre!

ServeAlready81
08-14-2005, 07:15 AM
I really want Andre to win this. Who knows if he'll have this chance again.

Ruski
08-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I believe Andre can take this one!!!!

missbungle
08-14-2005, 07:24 AM
My head says Rafael but my heart says Andre. Good luck guys!

RonE
08-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Just the match I have been waiting for!!!!! :bounce:

As to who I think will win, hard to say. Here is what I posted on another thread and it still applies:

There is truth to that in that Andre has accomplished a lot more on the surface than Nadal has to date but don't forget it's all about the match-ups.

Adversly, one could say the same about Federer being better at his prime on hardcourts yet even when they played on hard piggy beat him once and came within two points of doing it a second time.

It will boil down to two things if they do meet:

1.) Will Andre be able to deal with the akward spin and hit through the ball with enough power and precision on a consistent basis to take Nadal out of his comfort zone?

2.) If the answer to the first question is 'yes', will Andre have the stamina required to keep hitting with the same ferocity and precision taking into account that the pig will run down everything and can hit really good shots from defensive positions turning defense into offence.

In short, Agassi will have to play a lot of defense as well as offence and cover quite a lot of ground. If he can do it and maintain a high level over the course of the match then he will come out as the winner. However, if he has too many dips and slip-ups piggy will be all over him.

The Pro
08-14-2005, 09:39 AM
With any luck we'll all be winners tomorrow, a Rafa vs Rusedski final would have been PUKE.

Vamos Rafa!

Deivid23
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Agassi (I´d love to be wrong, though)

Black Adam
08-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Why is it best of three!! That sucks!! Up to this year, it was a best of five only in TMS Europe, but this year, it's been best of five in ALL TMS, including Indian Wells and Miami. If Montreal plays best of three, I think it's kinda stupid. It should logically be best of five and I hope it is.
I gonna bump up a thread where the issue has already been discused and the reason why Canada TMS can't have a 5 setter final unless Cincy is moved back by a week ;)

blosson
08-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Did you noticed that Rafa was born in the year Agassi turned pro? :lol: 1986

Let's see if uncle Andre has a thing or two to teach young Rafa.

vincayou
08-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Hmm, hard to tell but Agassi is certainly a better player than those that Rafa has met so far in Montreal. And we don't know anything about this particular match up. I'll go for Andre in 3.

Auscon
08-14-2005, 01:12 PM
So good to see Andre kicking some arse again, but I'm still hoping Rafa will seal the deal here in 3

avocadoe
08-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm hoping for an exciting competitive match and assume we'll get that. I think Rafa wins though, unless Andre has an incredible serving day, he might, and is able to do damage on Rafa's serve, he might. I don't see Andre going side to side effectively enough to win against the power of Nadal though. So I picked Nadal in 3.

David Kenzie
08-14-2005, 02:10 PM
I wish I could see this match live. I'm rooting for the double A on this one, but if Nadal wins I'll be happy too.

The kid
08-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I hope Andre win this one cause it will be among his lasts opportunities while nadal, who I like very much as well, will have a lot more
I think Agassi surely has the game to beat nadal but it will depend how he recovers from efforts. Against gaudio he seemed to struggle a lot, so i hope it will be better this time

Jorge
08-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Rafa in 3 sets :yeah:

thrust
08-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Tough choice, as I like both of them. However, I do think that if Andre serves like he did last night he will win. Also, I think his strong ground strokes are going to be tougher for Rafa to run down and make strong returns. I pick Andre in two close sets.

Mistaflava
08-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Should be a great match but I give the very slight edge to Andre. Would you really go against Rafa tough? Should be a classic.

Experimentee
08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Andre in 3 :)

~EMiLiTA~
08-14-2005, 03:15 PM
rafa in 3

Bilbo
08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
you better win this one, andre

GermanBoy
08-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Don`t really like Agassi but Nadal is even worse, so Agassi, win that thing! :)

lunahielo
08-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Andre, I hope~~I hope~~I hope~~!! :)

maqk
08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Agassi is hugely Xperienced - but a bit old too [ specially when compared to Rafa who :tennis: the ball like a BEAST from anywhere ] - but Agassi is no doubt :tennis: legendarious - any way I hope 4 Rafa as I think after MOYA [ me a madMoyaFan ] - Rafa has inspired me the most

hope it will b a HELL of a :tennis:MaTcH:tennis: match

Rafa in 3 sets

tennischick
08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Rafa in 3 sets :yeah:
love your new avatar! :eek:

the odds favor Rafa (2.75 to 1.40) but of course i hope that Andre wins this. but if he has to lose to anyone in a final, it's OK that it's the hottest guy of the season. ;)

jenanun
08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
still havent decided who i want to win....

i guess i would love to see andre to win.... but i think nadal is going to win.......

ys
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Finally Nadal plays someone with at least one quality that can worry him - big doublehander who can stay with his forehand.. Watching Nadal playing someone with the second quality - big serve - such as Safin - would be even more interesting, but even this could prove to be too much for Nadal. The worst thing about it is .. we won't see it.. Weather.. :(

dylan24
08-14-2005, 06:13 PM
double A in straight sets

Golfnduck
08-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Andre "The Legend" in 3

Jimnik
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Amazingly, the 2 have never met before. It will be interesting to see how Andre copes with Nadal's Super Heavy topspin shots. Federer couldn't cope in Miami, for the first 2 sets. Can Andre cope?

Shame that it's not best of 5 sets because this match could be a classic.:drool:

alinefx
08-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Agassi needs to get this done in Straights or else Nadal will take it. I hope Dre comes through.. only so many chances left (specially when Fed's not on the other side of the net (one of AA's main roadblocks to GS and MS Successes the last 2 years)).... GO Andre!

lilfairyprincess
08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
does ne1 know if the rain has stopped in montreal?..it seems the doubles ,match has bin moved to court BN and the agassi-nadal match is now on centre.

name_change
08-14-2005, 08:05 PM
i'm praying with all my heart that it's andre.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Rafa in 2 :D

Mistaflava
08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Rafa in 2 :D

how nice of you to come in here and predict that after Rafa has already won the first set. Nice job...

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

wimbledonfan
08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I predict Rafa will win the first set 6-3 . I'm not so sure how the second set will be , but i'll let you know in about an hour .

Vivaciousvibes
08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Grandpa Agassi is going down!!

VAMOS!!! Nadal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucashg
08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
The amazing match-up issues continue. Agassi's having problems hitting balls in his shoulder area. It doesn't help Nadal's the best defensive player on tour and that Andre himself isn't near as fast as he used to be. His shots aren't deep enough to trouble Nadal and he seems impatient in some rallies.

I knew Nadal was the favorite, but I was in hope Agassi could win a set. I hope he can, and hopefully the whole match. Gonna be tough. It's raining, right? I stopped to watch to record some cds and suddenly they're re-showing Nadal vs Mathieu? ...

Saumon
08-14-2005, 09:08 PM
they are back on court :bounce:

Lady
08-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Rafa in 3, it's nice to be proven correct! :cool:

Yay, Rafa!! :hearts: