TSN sucks [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

TSN sucks

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Can anyone explain to me why tsn isn't showing any tennis coverage this weekend ? This is the first year where the coverage has been absolutely terrible .

I forgot golf and poker have precendence over tennis .

Shy
08-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Can anyone explain to me why tsn isn't showing any tennis coverage this weekend ? This is the first year where the coverage has been absolutely terrible .

I forgot golf and poker have precendence over tennis .
I think that CBC and Radio-Canada have the rights to the coverage for the week-end.

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Thank you shy for the updates but I checked my rogers tv time listings and I don't see when they will resume broadcasting the semis and finals. Hopefully it's not in the middle of the night .

adelaide
08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Yep. Semifinals are scheduled for 1:00 PM and 6:30 PM on CBC.

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 03:00 PM
TSN doesn't have the rights for weekend action...Why do people always snap without knowing what they are talking about???

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
My problem was with their coverage this ENTIRE weekend

I happen to work during the day and tsn has a history of showing useless golf coverage or cfl throughout the summer which prohibits any tennis during prime time hours . The last 3 days they showed taped matches at 1 am while tsn announced the winners of those results so it is rather pointless watching .

Bottome line is that they should be showing LIVE tennis at 7:30 pm for those of us who can't stay home and watch it during the day .

uNIVERSE mAN
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM

I happen to work during the day and tsn has a history of showing useless golf coverage or cfl throughout the summer which prohibits any tennis during prime time hours . The last 3 days they showed taped matches at 1 am while tsn announced the winners of those results so it is rather pointless watching .

Bottome line is that they should be showing LIVE tennis at 7:30 pm for those of us who can't stay home and watch it during the day .

golf? bwwahahaha

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 03:30 PM

bottom line is they care about ratings not your personal viewing pleasures. CFL games will definitely amass a larger viweing audience than any non-major tennis match. Maybe you should call TSN and personally request that they forget about ratings and try to please 0.01% of Canadians.

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Now I see your point .That explains to me why tsn likes to show curling a lot because of the ratings . Thx for clarifying this up for me mistaflava.

NyGeL
08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
How many people follow tennis on Canada when there are no canadian players?

During Montreal, I never saw the Center Court completly full, even in an Agassi, Nadal or Roddick match (neither the Grandstand).

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Believe it or not, if you knew anything about sports and TV Ratings, the two big yearly Curling tournament (Briar and Scott Tournament of Hearts) both attract more viewers than any tennis match.

FACE IT BRO...tennis is just not a TOP 10 sport in Canada.

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Nygel , I disagree with you , the match with Agassi was a total sell out . In fact , I believe we sell more tickets than in any other masters event . If you watch any of the matches you'll see it's pretty close to sell out . The problem I have is that tsn has a history of showing certain sports to maintain their canadian heritage when it often does poorly in ratings , at least where i'm from .

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM
where are you from? Newfoundland?

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 04:04 PM
nahh , i'm from toronto . We don't watch curling here .

Shy
08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Actually, Tennis is gaining popularity. Each year, the tournament break the previous attendance record. Contrary to sport like baseball and other,kids are starting to get more into it which is good. For instance, many gyms or clubs had to add tennis court each year.

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Thank you shy , someone who finally agrees with me . Tennis is a rising sport in Canada and lets hope they promote the sport even more so than they did in the 90's . I don't want Canada to focus all their attention on hockey which is what all the local radio stations continue to do . They need to show more tennis during prime time hours and not old hockey tapes or golf tournaments that are being played elsewhere . This tournament is in Canada , tsn should at least be showing more tennis than our counterparts over at espn .

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
nahh , i'm from toronto . We don't watch curling here .

I'm from Toronto too and I don't watch curling. Bottom line is, the rest of Canada does and although that's absolutely retarded, TSN goes where the money is at.

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 04:16 PM
You guys have it all fucking wrong. Attendance might be growing but how does that mean the rest of the Country wants to watch it? We are talking about viewers/ratings for TV Networks. Just because the Oshawa Generals hockey team sell out every home game this season, does that mean they would have success in front of a National TV Audience?

What don't you guys understand exactly?

oneandonlyhsn
08-13-2005, 04:20 PM
And you are the same people that blame Rusedski and Lewis for leaving Canada to imrove in their sport :confused:

wimbledonfan
08-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree with you , but don't you think Canada should start promoting other sports more often like they do in the u.s or in Australia. Then people complain that Canada doesn't do well at the olympics .

Another thing I wanted to mention which I read in the Star is that tennis tv ratings have gone up by something like 30 % from last year which is definitely a positive sign . If the marketing execs do a better job promoting the sport and tv coverage is up ,then perhaps we just might see a top ten Canadian player in the next 20 years or so . Otherwise, we will always be just another hockey nation .

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 04:26 PM
And you are the same people that blame Rusedski and Lewis for leaving Canada to imrove in their sport :confused:

huh? Staying in Canada and being a superstar can work wonders for the program. Those two idiots bailed out on Canada pretty damn early. Donovan Bailey could have easily gone and run for Jamaica...but did he? Nope. He made himself a national hero.

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree with you , but don't you think Canada should start promoting other sports more often like they do in the u.s or in Australia. Then people complain that Canada doesn't do well at the olympics .

Another thing I wanted to mention which I read in the Star is that tennis tv ratings have gone up by something like 30 % from last year which is definitely a positive sign . If the marketing execs do a better job promoting the sport and tv coverage is up ,then perhaps we just might see a top ten Canadian player in the next 20 years or so . Otherwise, we will always be just another hockey nation .

I agree with you bro, but the TV Networks will not show anything until the ratings rise. I am happy to hear that Tennis ratings are rising because I would love to see every tournament on TSN (even the ones in Europe), like they do for Golf every week.

oneandonlyhsn
08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
huh? Staying in Canada and being a superstar can work wonders for the program. Those two idiots bailed out on Canada pretty damn early. Donovan Bailey could have easily gone and run for Jamaica...but did he? Nope. He made himself a national hero.

Yeah but we are taking about athletics compared to tennis there is a huge difference in the amateur program. Anyway, I understand if some people dont like it but my sister is heavily involved in competitive siwmmimng and the amateur program does shit to encourage/supprt the kids. Hell my sister is getting more encouragement and support and sponsorship from south of the border rigth now. Wankers :mad: that is the ones from the south

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 04:37 PM
how big is the difference?

oneandonlyhsn
08-13-2005, 04:38 PM
how big is the difference?

oops read my earlier and edited post :D

Lee
08-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm a tennis fan but I'm better sitting down watching a curling match than a tennis match. I enjoyed the Briar and Scotts tournament of hearts. Too bad there's no curling on TV in US. *sigh*

Lee
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm from Toronto too and I don't watch curling. Bottom line is, the rest of Canada does and although that's absolutely retarded, TSN goes where the money is at.

Retard??? Curling is actually a lot more intelligent game than tennis. It's a very complicated mind, strategy and fine skill game. But obvious you know nothing about it and this is a tennis forum, so :shrug:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM

curling? bwwahahahahaha!

hablovah19
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Retard??? Curling is actually a lot more intelligent game than tennis. It's a very complicated mind, strategy and fine skill game. But obvious you know nothing about it and this is a tennis forum, so :shrug:

I tried to watch curling during Winter Olympics, unfortunately I just don't get it :o :shrug:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-13-2005, 06:12 PM

oh shut up! it's lawn bowling on ice with a fucking broomstick.

oneandonlyhsn
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM

I liek curling, but I find it very boring compared to tennis. I would never skip a tennis match to watch curling but thats me

Lee
08-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I liek curling, but I find it very boring compared to tennis. I would never skip a tennis match to watch curling but thats me

I felt the same way like most of the people here until I played myself and I'm hooked. Unfortunately, my knees don't like the sport so I can only be a spectator.

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
TSN sucks at tennis! Why are we surprised?

Havok
08-14-2005, 12:17 AM
How many people follow tennis on Canada when there are no canadian players?

During Montreal, I never saw the Center Court completly full, even in an Agassi, Nadal or Roddick match (neither the Grandstand).
Trust me, for every Agassi/Nadal match center court was pretty much as full as it can get! The reason being as why you probably say that is because when you watch matches from Montreal on tv, you usualy only see the lowest seats (level 100) and those seats aren't for everyone. Those are the more expensive seats, not everyone can buy those, so it's the level 200 and 300 seats that are FULL, but you never really see them. Also your first line is insanely stupid. Canada doesn't have ANY players anyways, so we follow everyone else :retard:. The Montreal event has broken its attendance records for like the 4th straight time and I think last year there was roughly 400 000 people who attended the rogers cup (WTA) for the whole 9 days it was going on.

YoursTruly
08-14-2005, 03:10 AM
TSN was horrible this year for their Men's Rogers Cup coverage. A lot of the later weekday nights were completely ignored and pushed way past bedtime to the reject hours, and not only that but these were slots when Andre was playing? And what did they show live? Canadian Football League (CFL) games. Horrible move. I've e-mailed them a note on this because the things like the CFL are a whole season while the Rogers Cup is once a year, and it's our very own tournament with ANDRE playing! I thought they want to see the legends and stars! Then the CBC and Radio Canada (CBC in Montreal) have the broadcasting rights to the Rogers Cup for the weekend but I turned on the TV for the evening match and CBC was showing CFL!!!!!! I then learned that Radio Canada was showing the Andre-Greg match live but it's in French and I don't like that. TSN and CBC had so much bragging going on about their coverage but how could you brag when you don't have anything to brag about?!
Also some here have mentioned about the golf thing, and that is also crap that I won't even go into the how lame golf gets more coverage thing.

Mistaflava
08-14-2005, 03:43 AM
:haha:

Curling is for fuckin losers...Lee, do you live in Newfoundland or Timmins?

Lee
08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
:haha:

Curling is for fuckin losers...Lee, do you live in Newfoundland or Timmins?

Sorry to disappoint you :rolleyes: I am living in Metro Phoenix, the 6th largest city in USA. (I may be mistaken on the 6th, but definitely in top 10)