So, we're all agreed: Burgsmuller beats Federer hands down in the charisma department [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So, we're all agreed: Burgsmuller beats Federer hands down in the charisma department

Sjengster
08-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Sheesh, that thread title only just fits.

Not that I particularly care about the charisma quotient of either man, and no amount of photos of Federer in Adonis mode posted on this board by his fans will convince people that he is charismatic. I just have a feeling that Fumus would declare a cabbage to have more charisma than Roger if it developed the startling ability to beat him in important Slam matches and tournament finals.

Where does that leave Fat Dave, though? Or for that matter, Mellow Jiro?

sigmagirl91
08-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Fumus were to declare that the cabbage did indeed have more charisma than Federer. At this rate, a box of rocks will do-anything to begin another "humorless Federer" thread.

Skyward
08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Who is Burgsmuller? He's a no show on ESPN. :sad:

Sjengster
08-13-2005, 12:33 AM
The undisputed sex god of the ATP. I've seen women tremble at the knees when confronted by his manly charms many times.

sigmagirl91
08-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Such a charming man, that Burgsmuller.

RogiFan88
08-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Who is Burgsmuller? He's a no show on the ESPN. :sad:

How can you ask such a question when he's the most charismatic player on the tour! ;)

federer express
08-13-2005, 01:04 AM
some players just have an aura and can be quiet and still charismatic:

good examples...
borg
edberg
mecir
sampras
federer

bad examples...
karlovic
henman
burgmuller
spadea
soderling

Fee
08-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Oh my, Borg...

He was on TV recently (was it during Wimbledon) doing an interview. He looks so goooooooood now, I nearly fell off my chair. Heavy sigh... still my first love in the tennis world. :hearts:

NYCtennisfan
08-13-2005, 01:52 AM
Dirt and portobello mushrooms have WAY more charisma than Federer.

Chloe le Bopper
08-13-2005, 02:33 AM

good examples...
borg
edberg
mecir
sampras
federer

bad examples...
karlovic
henman
burgmuller
spadea
soderling
Sampras had about as much charisma as a baked potato.

savesthedizzle
08-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Oh my, Borg...

He was on TV recently (was it during Wimbledon) doing an interview. He looks so goooooooood now, I nearly fell off my chair. Heavy sigh... still my first love in the tennis world. :hearts:

Borg. :inlove:

Skyward
08-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Isn't Hewitt a baked potato. :confused:

Seleshfan
08-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Burgsmuller rocks! He has more charisma in his left testicle than Federer has in his whole body. Just the other day, I was having a conversation with Burgsmuller's left ball, and it was just so charming. It had this quiet charisma, you know, that confident, witty aura. I felt like it was holding back at times though. I love a ball of mystery, that only added to its charm.

liptea
08-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Hello, I think we're all forgetting the King of Charisma, Jerome Haehnel.

TennisLurker
08-13-2005, 06:43 AM

good examples...
borg
edberg
mecir
sampras
federer

bad examples...
karlovic
henman
burgmuller
spadea
soderling

Sampras, yeah

:haha: :haha: :haha:

athie
08-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Don’t you ppl ever have anything positive to say about Lars? Some of you ppl really pee me off :mad:

The Pro
08-13-2005, 08:09 AM
I dunno, I think there's charisma in the way Federer conducts himself.

However, Nadal (who I think has more charisma ON court, but maybe that's a language thing, maybe some non-fanatical spaniard can help?), Safin and Roddick have plenty more charisma.

Federer is kind of the boring guy who always wins. Like Stephen Hendry or Michael Schumacher.

nobama
08-13-2005, 08:31 AM

However, Nadal (who I think has more charisma ON court, but maybe that's a language thing, maybe some non-fanatical spaniard can help?), Safin and Roddick have plenty more charisma.

Federer is kind of the boring guy who always wins. Like Stephen Hendry or Michael Schumacher.It all comes down to personal opinion. Plus we don't really know these guys, we only know how they act on court. Roger might not be boring off court at all, and Rafa might be really shy off court (at least Roger says he is), who knows. The way one acts on court is not necessarily indicitive of their real personality.

David Kenzie
08-13-2005, 09:12 AM
As long as the ATP ranking doesn't include a charisma bonus, I don't give a shit ;)

Nimomunz
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
did anyone see the Facing Federer documentary? Perfect to show you that quiet Henman is much more charismatic than utterly boring Federer. do you remember that scene wheer they were playing pool?

Skyward
08-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Gosh, it's actually a relief to know that Nimomunz doesn't find Federer charismatic. :lol:

Nimomunz
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Gosh, it's actually a relief to know that Nimomunz doesn't find Federer charismatic. :lol:
oh have i developed a bit of a fed-hating rep? bugger coz that was like the last thing i wanted to do
:lol:

nobama
08-13-2005, 03:38 PM
That's the best example you can come up with? :lol:

Space Cowgirl
08-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Having spoken to the guy a couple of times, I say that Lars rules!!! :yeah:

Neely
08-13-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm glad to see that a player like Lars gets again a mention here in a thread title! :yeah:
He really rocks and to some extent I would agree with the topic title :) ... he's just by far not an as successful tennis player like Federer ;)

Sjengster
08-13-2005, 08:33 PM
did anyone see the Facing Federer documentary? Perfect to show you that quiet Henman is much more charismatic than utterly boring Federer. do you remember that scene wheer they were playing pool?

I don't know about Henman's charisma, he's certainly chirpier and more animated than Federer - in fact, the latter seems to be a little nervous around him, even though he's now made inroads into the head-to-head record. Apparently Federer joked with him about his injury just before the US Open, though, so they must be very good friends. But hey, as I said on this board at the end of last year, neither of them has ever pretended to fart on court so they obviously lack the natural charisma of Roddick.

OK, so German posters here have actually seen Burgie's charisma in person... I honestly haven't detected it. Yes, it was a wind-up thread, but with reference to his manly charms I would venture that he has distinctive cheekbones, at least.

Black Adam
08-13-2005, 08:47 PM

Federer is kind of the boring guy who always wins. Like Stephen Hendry or Michael Schumacher.
hum hum...........Schumi is the most charismatic guy compared to the other drivers imo :p

NYCtennisfan
08-13-2005, 09:05 PM
If Federer was more "charismatic" in the way most people interpret the word, then the amount of haters that would swarm over his every move would be greatly magnified. He quietly and respectfully beats down everyone but does so in a way that is not in your face. I can imagine him doing fist-pumps, and yelling and being super intense on court and I think a lot of people would be peeved because they would see it as him rubbing it in. I think for guys like Borg, Sampras, and Federer, they way they are is the only way that they could be and get away with being so successful. Anything more demonstrative would just be hard to swallow for most people because they would already be swallowing beatdowns.

Castafiore
08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
So, one stupid 'charisma' wind-up thread wasn't enough? :shrug:

Stop this BS, please. There are enough tennis boards where you can whine about this sort of stuff. ESPN is a nice one for bitching.
Let's talk about tennis without being a total bitch/ass towards players we like less but others do.

Sjengster
08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Yes, but too many people took Fumus' wind-up thread seriously. My thread actually had a useful purpose in pointing out that his adoration of Nadal is not because young Rafa has more charisma than Federer, but because he is capable of beating him with regularity.

I've nothing against Burgie myself, and don't worry, the tennis discussions cannot be too far away, once the board has been purged of its more tedious members. The day will come....

missbungle
08-14-2005, 02:41 AM
This charisma bullshit is such a load of hot air. Besides, I don't find ANY tennis players to be particularly charismatic - and if there are players that are charismatic, there isn't really any avenues to display it in the world of tennis. If I want to see charisma I'll look to rock stars or movie stars etc.

YoursTruly
08-14-2005, 02:44 AM

good examples...
borg
edberg
mecir
sampras
federer

bad examples...
karlovic
henman
burgmuller
spadea
soderling

You said it perfectly federer express! :) Perfect examples and categorizing.

PamV
08-14-2005, 02:53 AM
It all comes down to personal opinion. Plus we don't really know these guys, we only know how they act on court. Roger might not be boring off court at all, and Rafa might be really shy off court (at least Roger says he is), who knows. The way one acts on court is not necessarily indicitive of their real personality.

I think Rafa does seem shy at least on camera. The Tennis Channel has 1/2 hour segment about him where they followed him around with a camera in Miami in 2004. Rafa spoke in Spanish and he was bascially the same as when he speaks in English....shy and didn't say much. Of course maybe he's different when the cameras aren't on. However, I wonder why some think charisma is equated with being an extrovert. Quiet shy people can have charisma.

Another thing....many have said Agassi has charisma but for a long time now on court he plays very subdued and business-like. He's not putting on a show. So I think the perception of charisma just boils down who we feel a chemsitry for.

PamV
08-14-2005, 02:58 AM
If Federer was more "charismatic" in the way most people interpret the word, then the amount of haters that would swarm over his every move would be greatly magnified. He quietly and respectfully beats down everyone but does so in a way that is not in your face. I can imagine him doing fist-pumps, and yelling and being super intense on court and I think a lot of people would be peeved because they would see it as him rubbing it in. I think for guys like Borg, Sampras, and Federer, they way they are is the only way that they could be and get away with being so successful. Anything more demonstrative would just be hard to swallow for most people because they would already be swallowing beatdowns.

I don't get your logic here. I don't think many people define charisma as being "in your face" and agressive. Is that what you are assuming? Borg although quiet had lots of charisma and was quite an idol in his day.

PamV
08-14-2005, 03:01 AM
My thread actually had a useful purpose in pointing out that his adoration of Nadal is not because young Rafa has more charisma than Federer, but because he is capable of beating him with regularity.

Of course we know that Roger is also capable of beating Rafa regularly too. Maybe we should see how it goes in the next year before assuming anything.

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Lets hope the charisma machine Burgy has a wonderful 2007.

Sofonda Cox
11-26-2006, 03:24 PM

good examples...
borg
edberg
mecir
sampras
federer

bad examples...
karlovic
henman
burgmuller
spadea
soderling

oh come on! he had as much charisma as a vegetable

scarecrows
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Lets hope the charisma machine Burgy has a wonderful 2007.

he has an importand 2nd round to defend at Aus Open

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 04:50 PM
he has an importand 2nd round to defend at Aus Open

He will draw on his charisma to defend that result and he will take a set off Nadal next time they play.

scarecrows
11-26-2006, 04:52 PM
on clay ;)

Sunset of Age
11-26-2006, 04:52 PM
However, I wonder why some think charisma is equated with being an extrovert. Quiet shy people can have charisma.

That's a very good remark. I contribute it to general shallowness if people can't see the charisma of less extrovert people. To me, Rogi is very charismatic indeed. There's more to people than their public appearance!

And for the record, Shy!Rafa is a lot more charismatic than Court!Rafa, at least to me.

Action Jackson
11-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Burgi is one sexy beast.

Duchova
11-27-2006, 10:34 AM
What a thread!

JMG
11-27-2006, 12:13 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EHtMzByfeiY

Does Lars still have his army in Melbourne?

Andre'sNo1Fan
11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes, but too many people took Fumus' wind-up thread seriously. My thread actually had a useful purpose in pointing out that his adoration of Nadal is not because young Rafa has more charisma than Federer, but because he is capable of beating him with regularity.

Rafa does have more charisma than him, by far. People keep talking here about what these players are like off the court. Well, what do we care, we only judge by what they do on the court and their interviews etc. Its safe to say here that Federer is not interesting, or inspiring in the same way as some great champions like Muhammed Ali, Tiger Woods or John McEnroe are.

Yeh, or Pete Sampras. People always compare Sampras and Federer and I don't know exactly what they are, but one thing that is pretty similar is there personalities, on the court and when listening to them. I certainly would never be inspired by either of them, no matter how good their tennis is.

Sjengster
11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Note: I never said that Nadal didn't have more charisma than Federer, I said that's not the reason Fumus likes him. Anyway, your assessment is your own opinion and hardly an irrefutable fact. I've found Federer both interesting and inspiring in the past with his interviews, does that show I'm abnormal in some way?

Action Jackson
11-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Does Lars still have his army in Melbourne?

I think they are still around and there is a tradition like this in Australia, where players like Burgsmuller who aren't exactly known to the masses get a random cheer squad.

jole
11-28-2006, 02:06 AM
I think they are still around and there is a tradition like this in Australia, where players like Burgsmuller who aren't exactly known to the masses get a random cheer squad.

Lars is a man of panache and it's not hard to believe that he would have this following.

Action Jackson
11-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Lars is a man of panache and it's not hard to believe that he would have this following.

This is very true, though I think Behrend has a bit more flair though.

JMG
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's a pic of the future German DC team. Larsi has the goal top 100 for next year and of course he will do it.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9481/finns006ko0.png

atheneglaukopis
12-01-2006, 01:02 AM
I've found Federer both interesting and inspiring in the past with his interviews, does that show I'm abnormal in some way?Obviously. :p

Action Jackson
12-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Obviously. :p

The only thing Safin has over Lars are his 2 GS titles.

scarecrows
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Larsi gave a fight tonight but still lost 7-5 7-5 to Kuznetsov

anyway he still can give a shot to that top 50 goal he still has :yeah:

Action Jackson
04-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Larsi beats Boris Becker for charisma.

Action Jackson
07-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I wonder what Larsi is doing at the moment?

The_Nadal_effect
07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Why isn't Nadal on the list? King of Charisma and Clay :p

...And Fed is charismatic (albeit in a quieter way)

Monteque
07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Burgsmueller is sucks. His name is too long and hardly to spell. Worse, I even can't remember how the hell his face. The only one Burgsmueller beats Federer in the world is the words of his surname....IT'S LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Action Jackson
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Why isn't Nadal on the list? King of Charisma and Clay :p

...And Fed is charismatic (albeit in a quieter way)

Jumping around and picking your arse isn't a sign of charisma.

JMG
07-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Larsi is playing qualifying at the Manchester challenger. :worship:

I bet most haters here don't know that Larsi has won an ATP event.

Monteque
07-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Larsi is playing qualifying at the Manchester challenger. :worship:

I bet most haters here don't know that Larsi has won an ATP event.

You right. I never remember the guy on tour "Who just have win one ATP event". It hundreds of player.....be serious!!

scarecrows
07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
You right. I never remember the guy on tour "Who just have win one ATP event". It hundreds of player.....be serious!!

I'm pretty sure you know plenty of players that havent won a single title

drop the hate, Larsi is cool

Monteque
07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you know plenty of players that havent won a single title

drop the hate, Larsi is cool

Yeah, he should be cooler with GS title on hands.

Action Jackson
11-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Hope Larsi comes to Melbourne, cause the Larsi Army are waiting for him.

scarecrows
11-20-2007, 08:55 AM
here's another view at Larsi Army

the J-Block should learn from these guys how cheering is done

TankingTheSet
11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
From what I remember from seeing Burgsmuller on TV he was very reserved in the way he moved, he served as if he was lighting a cigar.

I think he is retired now.

Nathaliia
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Retired and still beating Fed hands down. This is what is called charisma.

tripb19
11-20-2007, 12:24 PM
I was hit full force by the Larsi Army two years ago, they are small but loud. Their chants are great.

Action Jackson
11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Like the guys said "It's all about Lars".

star
11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I was hit full force by the Larsi Army two years ago, they are small but loud. Their chants are great.

A few years ago, I was standing by the scoreboard checking out the matches to be played, and two couples were also there. One of them very excitedly said, "There's Lars! We have to see him!" and the other three also seemed quite excited. They weren't speaking with German accents either. I was sort of shocked. I hadn't known Lars had dedicated fans. :)

Nathaliia
11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
In Aachen challenger he was having breakfast next to my table :D

I feel happy for the rest of my life.

MrChopin
11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't know about Henman's charisma, he's certainly chirpier and more animated than Federer - in fact, the latter seems to be a little nervous around him, even though he's now made inroads into the head-to-head record. Apparently Federer joked with him about his injury just before the US Open, though, so they must be very good friends. But hey, as I said on this board at the end of last year, neither of them has ever pretended to fart on court so they obviously lack the natural charisma of Roddick.

:lol: Nice example.

Action Jackson
11-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Here is Mr. Charisma himself showing off his other talents.

http://www.fibo2006.de/bilder/download/geschick_gr.jpg

scarecrows
02-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Larsi is back

he'll play Belgrade Challenger qualies and surely will win it all

:worship: Larsi :worship:

Nathaliia
02-09-2008, 12:07 PM
He came back from retirement because of his fangirls in Serbia.

Manon
02-09-2008, 02:08 PM

good examples...

federer

Yup, and I am Brad Pitt.

Magus13
02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Yup, and I am Brad Pitt.

No. Just a Tool who has Noles C*ck in his mouth.

scarecrows
02-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Larsi beat Traykov in first round qualies and he didnt lose a single drop of sweat

JMG
02-10-2008, 08:30 AM
There is a good quality stream for Larsi at the moment:

rtsp://live.gemaxopen.com/cam_1.sdp (Quicktime)

Larsi was a bit unlucky and is 1-6 1-0* down against Sabau.

JMG
02-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Burgsmüller beat Sabau 1-6 6-3 7-6(4)

He hit 3 aces in the tb and even played chip & charge once.

Nathaliia
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Another question, hasn't Sabau retired yet? :tape:

scarecrows
02-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Larsi :bowdown:

CooCooCachoo
02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Q3 against Jan Minar. The first real test for Larsi!

Action Jackson
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
here's another view at Larsi Army

the J-Block should learn from these guys how cheering is done

Without a doubt.

scarecrows
12-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Happy 33d birthday Larsi

Action Jackson
12-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Hope the charismatic one had a good day.

Action Jackson
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
EHtMzByfeiY

Yes, he is still more charismatic.

scarecrows
04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Federer would dream to have fans like those

scarecrows
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
another one that will be sorely missed from the Aussie crowds

Action Jackson
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes, he will be missed. I remember when Werner Eschauer made it one year to the AO, he got a fanbase.

rocketassist
12-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Burgsmuller is definitely a charismatic player.

Start da Game
12-27-2009, 07:56 AM
why drag sampras into every thread? charisma, depends on how you see a person........sampras was just pure class all the way.......be it on the court, or off it.......only his fans can understand that pete was a thinking man on the court who could control his emotions........in that view, borg must be really boring of all, but his fans don't think so and even i don't think so.......

every great player has his own charisma........any buffoon can wear a suit and pose for 'rolex' ads, that doesn't mean you are more charismatic than others........any buffoon can stand atop a hill and shout 'kia'........pete chose not to do all that garbage, hence he didn't........that doesn't make him a less charismatic person........

his real charisma lied in his grace on the court, his modesty off it and his elegance in shotmaking........go ahead and give me one player who is as acrobatic as him on a tennis court.......we will talk about charisma........

paseo
12-27-2009, 12:52 PM
why drag sampras into every thread? charisma, depends on how you see a person........sampras was just pure class all the way.......be it on the court, or off it.......only his fans can understand that pete was a thinking man on the court who could control his emotions........in that view, borg must be really boring of all, but his fans don't think so and even i don't think so.......

every great player has his own charisma........any buffoon can wear a suit and pose for 'rolex' ads, that doesn't mean you are more charismatic than others........any buffoon can stand atop a hill and shout 'kia'........pete chose not to do all that garbage, hence he didn't........that doesn't make him a less charismatic person........

his real charisma lied in his grace on the court, his modesty off it and his elegance in shotmaking........go ahead and give me one player who is as acrobatic as him on a tennis court.......we will talk about charisma........

Monfils is more acrobatic than Sampras.

Start da Game
12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Monfils is more acrobatic than Sampras.

wrong.......

paseo
12-27-2009, 01:43 PM
wrong.......

How's so?

Action Jackson
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Sampras was not modest.

Start da Game
12-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Sampras was not modest.

i don't think one or two aggressive statements make him immodest.......he was usually very humble and polite.......respectful towards his opponents.......

Start da Game
12-28-2009, 03:25 AM
How's so?

monfils will be a sitting duck if he tries some of pete's acrobatics........

The Freak
12-28-2009, 03:39 AM
monfils will be a sitting duck if he tries some of pete's acrobatics........

:confused:

That doesn't even make sense :lol:

If you really think Pistol Pete was more acrobatic than Monfils you have a problem. Pete was pretty much better than Gael at everything EXCEPT acrobatics.

Start da Game
12-28-2009, 03:54 AM
:confused:

That doesn't even make sense :lol:

If you really think Pistol Pete was more acrobatic than Monfils you have a problem. Pete was pretty much better than Gael at everything EXCEPT acrobatics.

monfils is definitely acrobatic.......the difference being, he is a headless acrobat whereas pete was a thinking one........monfils is a mad athlete who lacks direction.......in other words, he doesn't know how to put his athletic skills to use........that doesn't make him a superior acrobat(athlete) than pete ON A TENNIS COURT even if he is more flexible than pete and can sprint faster than pete........

people easily forget what a dynamic player pete was........all they remember is his GOAT serve........no one can match his slamdunks and running forehands........one word, devastating........

Action Jackson
12-28-2009, 05:46 AM
i don't think one or two aggressive statements make him immodest.......he was usually very humble and polite.......respectful towards his opponents.......

Professional sportsmen especially ones at the top are not modest.

scarecrows
12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
not even Nadal comes close

Action Jackson
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Nadal wishes.

Nathaliia
12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Nadal will advertise Armani with pants but Lars will surpass Nadal and will advertise Armani without pants.

paseo
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Nadal will advertise Armani with pants but Lars will surpass Nadal and will advertise Armani without pants.

:lol: