MARTIN, Alberto ESP v CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
MASSU, Nicolas CHI v (12) HENMAN, Tim GBR

(15) STEPANEK, Radek CZE v (WC) MONFILS, Gael FRA
NOVAK, Jiri CZE v BECK, Karol SVK
YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS v SAULNIER, Cyril FRA
BERDYCH, Tomas CZE v (2) NADAL, Rafael ESP

veyonce
08-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks, Björki. Hope Rafa won't be burned out...

real_dream
08-13-2005, 08:23 AM
http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/31891660-M.jpg [SIZE=7] VAMOS RAFA!!!! :worship: :worship: RAFA BEATS PUERTA IN MONTREAL WITH 6-3 6-1!!!! :worship:

Jennay
08-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Buena suerte :dance:

Björki
08-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:

ataptc
08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Vamos Rafa! Don't think he will get burned out since he's only 19 and full of energy (I hope) :)

alexito
08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
I think rafa take a break, and look after oneself, usopen is close.

veyonce
08-16-2005, 04:18 AM
I agree, worried that all these tournaments will take a toll on his body since he's human after all not superboy??!! Lol...

But on the other hand, he wants to improve his game on hard courts since he seldom play on hard courts.. Guess it's really a conflict of interest...

But he did relax in Cinny by playing golf before practising.. He's staying at Marriott..

Volcanic Tennis
08-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Vamos Rafa! :worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :rocker2: :rocker2: (Just discovered smilies)

ragazza
08-16-2005, 12:56 PM
i wish him luck in all tournaments, he can make it more titles than we can think of with that tipe of play... :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker:

ataptc
08-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Rafa's match is at night, so I hope he has sufficient rest. The commentator said today that Rafa only flew to Cincy at 5am on Monday.. Vamos Rafa!

Saumon
08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Now, here's a cute story. Leslie knows Carlos Moya. He's been getting her daily tennis tickets. She called him today about her ticket, and someone else answered the phone. The guy said Carlos wasn't there. Leslie asked it he was Jofre, and the guy said "No, I'm a friend."
Leslie saw Carlos a bit later, and he said that Rafa was in his room playing Playstation. So Leslie talked with Rafa, but didn't know it.
that's so cute! :lol: :hug: :kiss:

Volcanic Tennis
08-16-2005, 08:18 PM
that's so cute! :lol: :hug: :kiss:

aww, that is cute! LOL!

linny28grace
08-16-2005, 10:12 PM
that lucky lady!

Leonandy
08-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Anybody's watching the game? The sports channel is showing the WTA game in Montreal ,so i can only watch the score online.
it seems to be a tough one.
tie-breaks for first set now
Vamos,Rafa

Neely
08-17-2005, 02:30 AM
Rafa in troubles now? He just lost the 2nd set...
hopefully he can do well again in the third :unsure:

veyonce
08-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Yes... Hopefully he can break berdych's serve...

Leonandy
08-17-2005, 03:38 AM
Come on,Rafa...

alexito
08-17-2005, 03:48 AM
no problem rafa, you are the best
fight fight and fight to the end
you are very tired, two day ago win montreal
and last year, federer win toronto but lost in 1st round in cincy
rafa, take a break, usopen is very close.

Leonandy
08-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Such a bad day for me,both Gato and Rafa lost

Leonandy
08-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Yeah,i believe he needs a break

veyonce
08-17-2005, 04:08 AM
I rather him take a break and prepare for the US Open.. He is going back to Spain to prepare for the US Open.

Scotso
08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Too bad Rafael :sad:

I agree he could use a break, but I don't think he should go to Spain. He should go to the US Open site and start practicing on those courts.

eddie_hyden
08-17-2005, 05:20 AM
i'm so bumped up rafa lost. but again, maybe not that surprising considering he competed in montreal final just few days ago. forgive me but who's this berdych? i didn't see the match, but what part of his games that actually hurt rafa? did rafa play well at all?

my guess is, rafa is having thoughts in his mind, as much as he wants to win, some part of him think that it's ok to lose too, as he can get some rest heading USO. i mean, he wants to win this, but maybe not as much. may not be true, but hey, at least this is what i want to believe.

i hope he can access what are his weaknesses are during this lost. after all, it's better to lose 1st round here, rather than say, during GS (touch wood)...

good day!

...ed

eddie_hyden
08-17-2005, 05:23 AM
I rather him take a break and prepare for the US Open.. He is going back to Spain to prepare for the US Open.

he's going back to spain? what's the rationale of that? maybe he misses someone back home, lol..

Carlita
08-17-2005, 06:38 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: oh noooooooooo !! This is not a fun score to wake up to :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

:hug:Rafa

Björki
08-17-2005, 06:58 AM
:sad: but congrats to Tomas.

veyonce
08-17-2005, 07:19 AM
He's going back to Mallorca to spend some time with his family and friends. He said in a post-match interview that he was very tired and the humidity affected him. His hamstring was also bothering him...

From Cincinnati Masters website:

Berdych Stuns Nadal

CINCINNATI - Tomas Berdych lit up Tuesday's night session with a three-set, first round knockout of second seeded Rafael Nadal at the 2005 Western & Southern Financial Group MASTERS.

Berdych ended the World No.2's 16-match winning streak with a bruising 6-7(4), 6-2, 7-6(3) victory. He cracked 70 winners to 45 unforced errors while Nadal managed 41 to 20 in the same categories.

The 19-year-old from the Czech Republic saved three match points serving at 5-6 in the third set, bringing the crowd to its feet and Nadal weary as they entered the deciding tie-breaker. Nadal double faulted the first point and then again at 3-5 to give Berdych three match points. But he needed only one of the match points, finishing the battle after two-hours, 57 minutes.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Berdych: Yeah, I think the service, yeah, the serve is one of my best shots. So I have to make my style of the tennis on the serve and then nots to play long rallies like Rafael is doing. So I needs to play something different than he's like, and I think I make it today.

Yeah, I'm happy with my tennis today.

(On the difference between today and the Bastad final):
So I think the biggest difference was the surface, because we play on the clay court and that's the ‑‑ I think the surface that Rafael like the most. And it was so close. So I was really waiting for the rematch on my surface so...

And I make it for myself, so I am happy. We will see.

Nadal: Yes, I think I don't have good luck in the draw. I say that in Montreal because today I was play against Tomas Berdych , so I know he's very good player. For the first round if you play against any player when he play with a little bit topspin, you can improve your game.

Because is the same court, but is not the same. Is same surface, but not always is the same because here is a little bit more slowly. The ball with the humidity stay little bit more tough.

So the changes, and I am little bit tired. I don't have the same explosion when I run. So for that, and because for ‑‑ because Tomas Berdych play very, very good match. So for that I lose today.

...I think Berdych is one future Top 10 player, I think. He play very well. He is very young.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 07:24 AM

:eek: The 1st time I agree with you.

I maybe the only one who isnt too sad about this, I think Rafa was playing too much and HC are very hard on the body. He needs to have a solid rest for the US Open so this is a good thing IMO. Anyway its too hard to win Toronto/Montreal and come out firing in Cincy. Berdych played awesome but Rafa was a bit tired too. They need a week between Cincy and Toronto/Montreal. Get some rest Rafa :hearts: but why in Spain isnt that too far away, maybe he wants to be with his family :hug:

veyonce
08-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Eurosports.com
Reuters - 17/08/2005

Berdych shocks Nadal

Rafael Nadal's 16-match unbeaten streak was ended by Tomas Berdych on Tuesday as he fell 6-7 6-2 7-6 in the first round in Cincinnati. The Spaniard blew three match points in the final set before Berdych took the decisive tiebreaker after almost three hours of pulsating action.

"I was a little tired," Nadal admitted.

"I didn't have the same explosion when I ran and because Tomas Berdych played a very, very good match, I lost today. I think he will be a top 10 player.

"I am disappointed but know I can improve if I am physically stronger. I am still happy though, because I can prepare better for the U.S. Open."

The two 19-year-olds fought out a stunning battle, the Czech plundering huge winners from the baseline and Nadal chasing down everything as if he was playing his first, and not his 74th match of the year.

The French Open champion snatched the first set 7-4 in a tiebreak but the world number 36 hit back to take the second, thanks to some punishing groundstrokes that even the mobile Nadal could not run down.

Berdych, who beat Roger Federer in the first round of the Olympic Games last year, roared back to level the match and then looked poised for victory when he broke to lead 5-4 in the third set.

Nadal refused to give up though, and after breaking back, he held three match points in the 12th game only for Berdych to save them all and force a tiebreak.

A Nadal double-fault gave Berdych three match points, and he clinched victory on his first to set up a second round match against Russian Mikhail Youzhny.

veyonce
08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Berdych belts Nadal to derail Spaniard's win streak
AFP 17/08/2005

CINCINNATI, United States (AFP) - Czech Tomas Berdych ended the torrid 16-match win streak of Rafael Nadal as he upset the second-seeded Spaniard 6-7 (4/7), 6-2, 7-6 (7/3) to reach the second round of the Cincinnati Masters.

The 19-year-old Spaniard, who captured the latest of his nine 2005 titles at Montreal on Sunday, fell victim to an accumulation of fatigue and a determined opponent who saved three match points in the 12th game to throw the final set into a tiebreaker.

Nadal was only 48 hours removed from his first career hardcourt title, which he captured with a victory over Andre Agassi in Montreal.

Berdych, meanwhile, showed the form that he used last year to knock Roger Federer out of the Olympic Games, ending his effort on the first of three match points.

Nadal twice saw the trainer for back pain, with the teenager stretched out out the court during the pair of three-minute on-court interventions.

Berdych also took treatment on a thigh near the end of a marathon lasting for nearly three hours.

The win was revenge for Berdych, who lost to Nadal last month in Bastad.

And while Nadal has taken the tennis world by storm, capturing the French Open title as well as three Masters Series crowns this year, his fellow 19-year-old Berdych wasn't intimidated.

"I've known him so long. We've gone through the same tournaments growing up so we know each other so well," Berdych said.

"This is not like beating Federer, that was something amazing.

"But this match is perfect for me. It's not like I played with Agassi - he is a legend. But I'm happy with my tennis tonight."

"I was a little bit tired, I didn't have the same explosion when I run," Nadal said. "So for that, and because for Tomas played a very, very good match, I lost today.

"I did everything I could to win, but I came up short. I was very confident but I just couldn't do it.

Nadal said he would spend his time before the US Open, which starts on August 29, at home.

"I think I'll go to Mallorca tomorrow, because if I stay one week, two weeks here before the US Open, I think it is better mentally if I stay in Mallorca for one week."

ayena
08-17-2005, 10:33 AM
:crying2: Rafa.... :crying2: What happened there??? :shrug:

Lottie09
08-17-2005, 11:46 AM
:tennis: I'm not sure if I'm all alone on this one, but if his coach Uncle Tony had been there, he would have won. I'm sure of it. His uncle's an amazing coach and knows Nadal better than Nadal knows himself...

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/thumbs/U687P6T12D1719302F44DT20050815063157.jpg (http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13319)

ragazza
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Tony's more like a teacher,not a coach...he just proved he can't make Rafa win other but clay... i think u'r alone, Lottie ;) and i'm very sorry for Rafa,not that he lost but that he was very tired and that's a bad think for a just 19 years old thingy...

The Pro
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
That's what I love about Nadal, even when he loses he has respect and good words for his opponents.

Contrast that with Serena Williams when she was beat by Craybas. "I played terrible, all she needed to do was get the ball over the net."

It's not easy to be gracious.

Castafiore
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Tony's more like a teacher,not a coach...he just proved he can't make Rafa win other but clay
:confused: No offence but your post confuses me a bit (maybe I'm misreading your post, sorry if that's the case) but why do you say that Tony is more like a teacher and not a coach? Tony is his teacher + his coach + his uncle.
Besides, Rafa won in Montreal on another surface than clay and his uncle was not there either :angel:

i'm very sorry for Rafa,not that he lost but that he was very tired and that's a bad think for a just 19 years old thingy...
Confused again.... :confused:
It's perfectly normal for a 19-year old to get tired after the week he's had and considering his entire very busy schedule throughout the year. 19-year olds have lots of energy but that source of energy does have a bottom.

I was a little bit tired, I didn't have the same explosion when I run," Nadal said. "So for that, and because for Tomas played a very, very good match, I lost today.

"I did everything I could to win, but I came up short. I was very confident but I just couldn't do it.
:yeah:
No excuses, just telling it like it is.

ataptc
08-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Poor rafa but the loss will probably serve him well as it sounds like he's getting nagging injuries because of insufficient rest. So rest up and come back strong for USO :)

veyonce
08-17-2005, 04:02 PM
US Open is much more important than Cincinnati... Rafa's back & hamstrings are starting to give him problems.. So, it is a blessing in disguise.. Wouldn't want him to pull out of US Open because of injuries...

freesbee
08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Rafa :sad:

but I agree with you, it's probably a good thing, he can get sufficient rest now for the USO :)

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 11:21 PM
:tennis: I'm not sure if I'm all alone on this one, but if his coach Uncle Tony had been there, he would have won. I'm sure of it. His uncle's an amazing coach and knows Nadal better than Nadal knows himself...

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/thumbs/U687P6T12D1719302F44DT20050815063157.jpg (http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13319)

:confused: Nadal needs to win more free points with his serve especialy on faster surfaces. The longer he is out there on HC the harder it is on his body, rest up Rafa

Jennay
08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Rafa :( Rest up for the USO. :hug: :yeah: