Why did Sampras never win the Rogers Cup? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Sampras never win the Rogers Cup?

LoveFifteen
08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Why did Sampras never win the Rogers Cup? I just started watching tennis two years ago so I don't know.

Dirk
08-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Andre always stopped him and Safin did in the semis at 2000. Had Pete won he would have had an easy final. Doesn't matter, he has plenty of hardcourt masters and seven hardcourt slams.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
he didn't eat enough Canadian Bacon

Fumus
08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
cuz Pete sucked!

jtipson
08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Why did Sampras never win the Rogers Cup? I just started watching tennis two years ago so I don't know.

I don't think anyone has won the "Rogers Cup" in the ATP before. This year is the first one. But I guess you mean the Canadian Open.

Lee
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
:p My excuse for Pete not winning Canadian Open is he skipped this tournament half of the time and when he played, this was usually the first tournament he played after a long layoff post Wimbledon.

wimbledonfan
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Exactly what Lee said . Petes first tournament after wimbledon was the Canadian Open and this tournament was just like putting his feet into water before going for the big splash . We all know , Pete put more emphasis on slams more so than the other tournaments .Another reason is that there wasn't as much incentive to do well here than there is now with the increased prize money and points to be earned by competing at this event . I remember when half of the top ten players wouldn't even show up to this tournament .

RonE
08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
He almost did win it in 1995 when he was in the final and won the first set against Agassi. I didn't see the match so I don't know what happened (did Andre hit more aggressively and go for his shots, did Pete's form dip etc). But I think the Canadian Open traditionally had slower courts than Cincy and the Open so it also wasn't as tailored to his game. And as was mentioned before, while he certainly could have won it if he put his mind to it and prepared properly I guess it just wasn't enough of an incentive and he viewed these events mainly as preparation for the U.S. Open.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:27 PM
The most plausible explanation was due to the fact he was defeated before he could.