New Coach? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New Coach?

french-guru
08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
what is this I hear about Grosjean having a new coach :confused: Is it true?!

delsa
08-13-2005, 08:56 AM
No. Except if you didn't know he is with Brad Stine. ;)

Truc
09-14-2006, 07:41 AM
This time, it's true. From L'Équipe:
Grosjean se sépare de Stine
Information l'Equipe : argumentant sa décision par «la fin d'un cycle» ou encore «un manque de motivation de la part de Brad (...), une routine», Sébastien Grosjean a décidé de se séparer de son entraîneur Brad Stine avec lequel il travaillait depuis près de deux ans. Dans l'attente de trouver un nouveau technicien, le Marseillais, actuellement 37e joueur mondial, achèvera sa saison avec Alain Quintalet, son préparateur physique.

He splits with Stine and mentions as an explanation "the end of a cycle" or "a lack of motivation coming from Brad, a routine". He doesn't know yet who will be his new trainer and he will finish the season with Quintalet, his physical trainer.

charlie666
09-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Eurosport also has an article about this:
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/balles-bleues/2004/sport_sto963859.shtml

Sébastien Grosjean s'est séparé de son entraîneur américain Brad Stine, a indiqué jeudi le quotidien sportif L'Equipe. Le Marseillais installé en Floride travaillait avec Stine depuis un peu moins de deux ans. "C'est un cycle, j'ai senti un manque de motivation de la part de Brad", a-t-il expliqué.

Après un début de saison encourageant (quart de finale à l'Open d'Australie), Sébastien Grosjean a accumulé les résultats médiocres, notamment des éliminations au deuxième tour à Roland-Garros et à l'US Open, qui l'ont fait tomber à la 37e place mondiale.

En attendant de trouver un nouvel entraîneur, le Marseillais, qui a 28 ans, sera suivi par Alain Quintalet, ancien préparateur physique de l'équipe de France de handball, lors de la tournée européenne en salle.

Hangdog
09-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Alain Quintalet, ancien préparateur physique de l'équipe de France de handball
They have really good coaches at French handball team :cool: lol

I hope these coach changes are for the best. And Seb obviously hasn't been too motivated recently... :rolleyes: Better luck in the new coach researches. Et bonnes vacances :tape:

Truc
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
The whole article in L'Équipe "Grosjean-Stine, c'est fini":

Truc
09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
They both sound pretty frustrated by each other! Stine is disappointed because he thinks Seb doesn't give his work all he's got. For example, he wanted him to play New Heaven because his hardcourt season had been disappointing and Seb preferred to go home.
+ Seb didn't appreciate that Stine is also working with a 13 years old boy atm.
Seb thinks that Brad wasn't motivated enough anymore (after RG). He doesn't agree when people say he doesn't give everything, he stresses he did a lot of physical work.

But the journalist also concludes that he seems to bank too much on his talent and sometimes spends one month without picking up a racket (like in Marseille during the summer). He also barely won really tight matches when he was coached by Stine.

Jessica Theobald
09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Surprising and interesting news!

Thank you for translating the article.

esther
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
so the new coach is who??

Truc
09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
The article in L'Équipe sounds like he might finish the season with Quintalet only.

Marine
09-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Typically Seb at 100 % what Stine said. :mad: :mad: :mad:
His coach was frustrated cos Seb didn't want to playn in New Haven , in short he didn't want to play lot of tournaments, and lacked of motivation. That's sadly true !!!!! Moerover there was a problem of communication...that's also typic of Seb :mad:
And Seb is not agree with that. What a pity !

Sometimes I think he should see a psy, or stop definitly.
He wasted his carreer by his lack of motivation.

Well, Quintalet is not really a coach, just a physical trainer (former trainer of the french team in handball...)

Truc
09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, I forgot the part about the communication problems last time, sorry.
Stine already said in Cincy that he didn't know how to deal with Seb anymore. He thinks maybe he was too directing for Seb who is very cool and doesn't like to be forced to anything.

I agree with you, Marine, and that's obviously the opinion of the journalist too. He first quotes both of them, but he clearly agrees more with Stine (who isn't really harsh with Seb in his statements, more frustrated - and what he says sadly sounds very true).

Jessica Theobald
09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I wonder if the problem is simply that he has such a large personal commitment with two preschool children and his eldest daughter will be 8 in October, Lola is in school now, his family are no longer as mobile as they probably once were, which means they cannot join him on tour. This must be very difficult for him and his family. He is still only 28, not quite past it in tennis terms, but certainly young to have three children. I am sure he adores his children, but he has been a father since the age of 20 and I wonder if this added pressure has had a detrimental effect on his tennis career? Most players seem to start their families in the middle or the later period of their careers, it may be with his wife being eight years older him he felt had to have his family so young. I hope he can bounce back from this and regain some of his old spirit. I must admit even when he won matches his year for example at Wimbledon he played an English player (cannot remember his name) he should have won with ease, but there were moments when it could have gone either way. It is hard to watch him struggle when you know he is so much better then this. :sad:

Truc
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
There was a long article about Seb, Gael and Paulo and the relationship between coach and player yesterday in L'Équipe, I just posted it in Paulo's board:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4256476&postcount=22
(I don't have much time to make a summary of Seb's quotes right now, sorry, I'll try to do it later).

Truc
10-13-2006, 06:05 PM
A rough summary of the article I posted in Paulo's board:

The only new thing in the first part "why did they part ways?" is the last quote from Seb: « J’estime qu’un coach ne doit pas trop s’imposer, pas trop se mettre en avant et que, en revanche, il faut qu’il soit capable de dire les choses à son joueur. » = "I think that a coach must try not to impose himself upon the player, not to push himself forward, but on the other hand, he must be able to say things like they are." He seems to hint at Stine when he says that, that's how the journalist understands it too. Stine was too directive for him, he needs someone who "gives him a break".

And the last part:
"At almost 30 years old, Grosjean knows how difficult it is to find the right person. "Somebody who knows the top level and whom I feel like travelling with. I sometimes spend more time with my coach than with my wife. It is for example important to feel like going to the restaurant with him in the evening, to have something else than tennis to discuss about with him. The human relationship is a key element." Seb needs somebody who will be able to make the required reproaches without hurting him (that's what the journalist says, not Seb) and who will also keep in the background to let him play and enjoy his tennis because that's his nature.
He will be accompanied for the rest of the season by Quintallet and he is going to work a little bit with Bruno Clément during the tournament in Lyon. And after that? "I'm not in a hurry at all to find a new coach.""

charlie666
10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for translating that! :wavey:

*julie*
11-14-2006, 07:19 PM
From L'équipe.fr

Grosjean avec Bruno Clément
Sébastien Grosjean a un nouvel entraîneur. L'ex-numéro un français a annoncé lui même la nouvelle mardi sur son site internet. Bruno Clément, frère d'Arnaud Clément, prendra en mains les destinées du Marseillais. Suite à son élimination prématurée au deuxième tour de l'US Open, Grosjean, âgé de 28 ans, avait mis fin en septembre à sa collaboration avec son entraîneur américain Brad Stine.

Sur son site internet, Sébastien Grosjean a expliqué qu'il partagera les services de Bruno Clément avec le frère de ce dernier et qu'il s'aligneront à «90%» aux mêmes tournois la saison prochaine.» «Je serai tout seul pour le premier tournoi de l'année à Doha. Arnaud a préféré se rendre à Adélaïde. Notre collaboration débutera à Sydney et nous enchaînerons après avec l'Open d'Australie», a-t-il déclaré.

«Je suis vraiment ravi de travailler avec Arnaud et Bruno. Il était important pour moi de voyager avec des gens qui me sont proches», a poursuivi le Marseillais. «Pour le tennis, a-t-il ajouté, je vais continuer à travailler dans l'académie de John Evert (en Floride). Je bénéficie de toutes les infrastructures et de sparring-partners. Cette académie est devenue le deuxième centre fédéral des Etats-Unis».

Sébastien Grosjean a conservé Alain Quintallet pour sa préparation physique.

Seb has decided to keep Bruno Clément as a coach. He will play the same tournaments as Arnaud Clément (except for Doha/Adelaide). He says he is happy cos they are very close friends and it will make travels easier.

I don't know what to think about it, but I hope Seb will have good results in 2007.

Marine
11-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Personly I'm glad !!!! ;)

esther
11-24-2006, 02:54 AM
hmm interesting set up. but wouldnt it be better for seb to work with someone who was going to make him work harder coz hes so lazy...but he doesnt want that right... will bruno be too soft?

KellyluvsGrosjean
11-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Brother of Clement!

Hope Seb will have a good 2007. Longing to see him to lift up the trophy again...:angel: