Did Rusedski receive a warm reception in his home town? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Rusedski receive a warm reception in his home town?

vogus
08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Just wondering if the great Yankee Brit got booed in Montreal, or whether all has been forgotten and he is just another tennis player now.

Havok
08-12-2005, 01:33 AM
He didn't get booed. People didn't cheer like crazy for him (not like they do with Nadal, Agassi, Roddick etc.) but he was received warmly for a change.:devil:

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
he can go fuck himself along with Mary Pierce, Owen Heargraves and Lennox Lewis.

chew on that

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Yankee Brit? :confused: Canuck Brit, unless I somehow missed his American connection.

Erm, Mary was BORN in Canada but didn't grow up here, so I hope you're kidding Mista.

bad gambler
08-12-2005, 05:08 AM
the people i met in montreal had no idea who greg rusedski was

liptea
08-12-2005, 05:38 AM

hahaha. Poor Greg, thinking he's important enough to be some major traitor, and the Canadians don't even care. Canada wins.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 12:04 PM

:haha:

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
After 10 years I would hope people finally moved on.

About time. As much as I don't like him, the resentment toward Rusedski was really disturbing. In 95 I understand because Rusedski did some immature things and it just happened recently, but after that?

hablovah19
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
RDS and TSN still show his matches and talk about him saying he probably would have done just as well playing for Canada, which I think is crap since they don't seem to fund sports as well as other countries :o

the people that didn't know who Rusedski is probably don't follow tennis much :p

didn't know Rusedski could speak french too :eek: :angel:

his reception with the media is not as bad as it used to be, from what I've seen on TV anyway...

Mary Pierce from what I understand is just born in Canada (montreal ?) and Rusedski is not a Yankee (I can't remember his background but his last name should be a hint? :shrug: ) ;)

skel1983
08-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Lennox Lewis was born in England

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Lennox Lewis was born in England

okay my bad. Well then he should have represented England at the Olympics.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 12:32 PM
After 10 years I would hope people finally moved on.

About time. As much as I don't like him, the resentment toward Rusedski was really disturbing. In 95 I understand because Rusedski did some immature things and it just happened recently, but after that?

how would you like it if Andre Agassi represented Armenia instead of the US??? Would you not hold a grudge for more than 10 years?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

delsa
08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Mary Pierce from what I understand is just born in Canada (montreal ?) and Rusedski is not a Yankee (I can't remember his background but his last name should be a hint? :shrug: ) ;)
Not only is she born in the French speaking region of Canada, yes Montréal, Québec but her mother Annick is French too.

Experimentee
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
how would you like it if Andre Agassi represented Armenia instead of the US??? Would you not hold a grudge for more than 10 years?

Why would anyone hold a grudge for that? As I understand it, Rusedski has British citizenship and lives there. Whats the problem with him representing GB then?

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Rusedski is of Polish descent I think. From what I saw of the crowd, they didn't boo him.

The Pro
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Ha poor Greg, I'd feel sorry for him if I felt sorry for him.

pesto
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Greg has an English mother. He lives in England, has married a horse-faced English woman, who is, god help us, pregnant with his (presumably) child. That is going to be one ugly baby.

The British press and public are pretty ambivalent to him. They will support him if there is no "true" Brit in the field. When the news broke about his drug trouble one newspaper led with "Send this slack-jawed Canadian home", which was pretty vicious, I thought.

Mary Pierce lives in Florida, and when she won the FO 10 years ago, spoke French about as well as I did - that is, barely at all.

What is it with Canada that all their decent players want to leave? Is it that bad at supporting them?

oneandonlyhsn
08-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Greg has an English mother. He lives in England, has married a horse-faced English woman, who is, god help us, pregnant with his (presumably) child. That is going to be one ugly baby.

The British press and public are pretty ambivalent to him. They will support him if there is no "true" Brit in the field. When the news broke about his drug trouble one newspaper led with "Send this slack-jawed Canadian home", which was pretty vicious, I thought.

Mary Pierce lives in Florida, and when she won the FO 10 years ago, spoke French about as well as I did - that is, barely at all.

What is it with Canada that all their decent players want to leave? Is it that bad at supporting them?

I cant blame any athlete for wanting to leave Canada unless you are a hockey player :zzz: 80% of the people in Canada when surveyed couldnt name 2 Canadian athletes in the Olympics :smash: how embarrasing. The goverment doesnt do shit for players so why should a player who knows with proper coaching if given a chance would do well stay in Canada. I cant blame anyone for looking at greener pastures for improvement especially tennis, its expensive and Canada sure wont help you out

gooner88
08-12-2005, 02:31 PM

Bet that was the Daily Mail. :rolleyes:
Their chief sports writer tore into Greg's reputation before the case was even heard, and didin't have the courtesy to apologise when Greg was found innocent. What an idiot.

delsa
08-12-2005, 02:40 PM
True that Pierce was raised in Florida, has an American father and didn't speak French 10 years ago but she does now. She's fluent although she has an accent. Those things are so complicated...I was just pointing out that she had "French blood" if that means something and his born in a French-speaking country even though that's not where she was raised so she kind of came back to her roots in a way...

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
True that Pierce was raised in Florida, has an American father and didn't speak French 10 years ago but she does now. She's fluent although she has an accent. Those things are so complicated...I was just pointing out that she had "French blood" if that means something and his born in a French-speaking country even though that's not where she was raised so she kind of came back to her roots in a way...

if we all went back to our roots we would end up where Adam and Eve did the nasty.

tangerine_dream
08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Just wondering if the great Yankee Brit got booed in Montreal, or whether all has been forgotten and he is just another tennis player now.
Brits and/or Canadians are not Yankees. US only. :)

And no he wasn't booed. The crowd gave him a nice cheer.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
he can go fuck himself along with Mary Pierce, Owen Heargraves and Lennox Lewis.

chew on that

get your shitty country to give some fucking funding to developing athletes then!!!

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
get your shitty country to give some fucking funding to developing athletes then!!!

shitty country? are you a fuckin dumbass natzi?

pesto
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I understand how Pierce can claim French nationality, but I find it a bit odd, when she doesn't identify strongly enough with the country to choose to live there, or to speak the language reasonably fluently at the time she made the switch.

It's not quite as bizarre as the gulf states such as Qatar basically buying Kenyan athletes, who continue to live and train in Kenya, though.

oneandonlyhsn
08-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I understand how Pierce can claim French nationality, but I find it a bit odd, when she doesn't identify strongly enough with the country to choose to live there, or to speak the language reasonably fluently at the time she made the switch.

The same can be said about most tennis players though

Sadly I agree with you on this, my sis swims competitively and its very difficult. Suprisingly the Americans have already offered her a lot of $$ for her to move south of the border. She would love to get an offer like this from Australia.

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 04:17 PM

I have better things to worry about than the nationality of some people I have never met.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:27 PM
RDS and TSN still show his matches and talk about him saying he probably would have done just as well playing for Canada, which I think is crap since they don't seem to fund sports as well as other countries :o

I don't think he would have done as well if he stayed in Canada. He went to England for a reason, and he did reach number 4 in the world and make a slam final after doing so. Given our track record, I find it hard to believe he would have done that if he stayed. But who knows.

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM

chew on that

What was your name before this one? I just can't imagine that a retard like you slipped under my radar for thousands of posts up until now.

Mary Pierce was born in Canada while her parents were on vacation. Nothing about her is Canadian, so why don't you go fuck yourself instead.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Mary has no allegiance to Canada aside from spending a little time where when she was a baby. To discuss that one any further is ridiculous. Now, I may be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that France was willing to help develop Mary when crazy Jim had problems with the USTA? If that is the case, then Voila.

delsa
08-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Well, she spends half her time in Paris now. Her new club is there. Her "staff" Xavier Moreau and all are French and there too...She's half American and half French. I think that's how she feels but anyway it doesn't matter. It's her problem. That's none of our business.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
What was your name before this one? I just can't imagine that a retard like you slipped under my radar for thousands of posts up until now.

Mary Pierce was born in Canada while her parents were on vacation. Nothing about her is Canadian, so why don't you go fuck yourself instead.

good, we don't want her and her bullshit

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Why are you so aggressive with this? If they don't represent Canada, there's a reason. Either they prefer another country or are not satisfied enough with Canada.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Why are you so aggressive with this? If they don't represent Canada, there's a reason. Either they prefer another country or are not satisfied enough with Canada.

I am not aggressive. If what you are saying is the case, why are threads like this being started. Everything is said and done for a reason. I am just trying to avoid having stupid threads like this started again in the future.

:eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:42 PM
It was a valid question. Well, aside from that whole "yankee" thing. WTF?

pesto
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Ok, if she spends time in France - but her residence is listed as Florida on the WTA site - I guess actually most players spend most of their time on tour, and hardly have a home! I don't mind what she considers herself, and I don't think it's a "problem", it's just curious.

As for Canada being crap at developing tennis players, Britain hasn't done too well either - Tim Henman basically has a very well-off family with a strong tennis history. I'm not saying that to belittle his achievements, just to say that it would be hard for him to do so well if he relied purely on the British tennis establishment.

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Mary plays for France because the USTA refused to give her financial support when she was young. France offered, and she accepted. She still plays for them as thanks for their support.

Mary has more loyalty than most tennis players.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Canada is garbage at developping Tennis players...that I will admit. It's pretty damn sad and I know there is some talent here somewhere. But where there is talent, there is immigration. No matter who we have here, they will go back and play for their Country.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok, if she spends time in France - but her residence is listed as Florida on the WTA site - I guess actually most players spend most of their time on tour, and hardly have a home! I don't mind what she considers herself, and I don't think it's a "problem", it's just curious.

As for Canada being crap at developing tennis players, Britain hasn't done too well either - Tim Henman basically has a very well-off family with a strong tennis history. I'm not saying that to belittle his achievements, just to say that it would be hard for him to do so well if he relied purely on the British tennis establishment.
And Spain gets credit for Andy Murray ;)

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Canada doesn't do very well at supporting their players, so what do you expect?

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
And from what I understand, Britain works very hard and spends quite a bit on their tennis players. They just don't have the talent.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Well if we had someone to support we would do it. Much like England has their football (and basically nothing else matters there), here in Canada we have the NHL, the NBA, the CFL and MLB. All sports take precedence over Tennis.

Would be nice to have a Canadian superstar for once...I don't think Frank Dancevic has what it takes.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
And this is why my former dislike of Greg never had anything to do with his leaving Canada. I can hardly blame him. If you don't play hockey you don't matter here, apparently. Well, unless you win the Masters. Then you matter for a couple weeks. If you're probably the best diver in the world you don't matter though ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
And from what I understand, Britain works very hard and spends quite a bit on their tennis players. They just don't have the talent.
I was under the impression that they went looking in the wrong places for their talent $$$$$$$$ but may be mistaken.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
And this is why my former dislike of Greg never had anything to do with his leaving Canada. I can hardly blame him. If you don't play hockey you don't matter here, apparently. Well, unless you win the Masters. Then you matter for a couple weeks. If you're probably the best diver in the world you don't matter though ;)

what's diving? Haha. I know what you mean. But if European countries all had the NFL, the NBA, the NHL and MLB teams, who knows where tennis would be today. The Americans have good tennis players because the country is so damn big. Tennis is a European sport whether we like it or not. Ooops, it's an non-North American sport is what I meant. What can you do? I am huge sports fan of all pro sports. I don't like diving and those sports (apart from at the Olympics) but I love tennis.

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Tennis Canada is starting to make an effort to inject more money (And Laurendeau predicts we might have a Slam winner in the next 10 years :tape: ), but it's not enough. First we need more futures! Only 2 (at the same place :retard: ), that's embarrassing.

With part of the money they made last year at the Rogers Cup, they wanted to pay free tennis lessons to some poor students, but it ended up being a total failure because the kids didn't have money to pay a bus ticket to get there or didn't make it for other reasons. There's really a long way to go.

Tennis Canada sucks anyway. Just look at their shitty website. Nuff said.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Tennis Canada is starting to make an effort to inject more money (And Laurendeau predicts we might have a Slam winner in the next 10 years :tape: ), but it's not enough. First we need more futures! Only 2 (at the same place :retard: ), that's embarrassing.

With part of the money they made last year at the Rogers Cup, they wanted to pay free tennis lessons to some poor students, but it ended up being a total failure because the kids didn't have money to pay a bus ticket to get there or didn't make it for other reasons. There's really a long way to go.

Tennis Canada sucks anyway. Just look at their shitty website. Nuff said.

do you think guys like Dancevic or Steckley have a shot at the TOP 50? Ever? I know they just gave Frank an additional $25 000 but how much can that help?

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Steckley is old. He's like what, 25? He's not going to magically start making his way into the top 100 I'm afraid.

Dancevic career doesn't seem to go anywhere even if he's a solid player. He's the male version of Pelletier.

The only good prospect is Bester. And maybe Polanski.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
shitty country? are you a fuckin dumbass natzi?

don't confuse me with your father.

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Steckley is old. He's like what, 25? He's not going to magically start making his way into the top 100 I'm afraid.

Dancevic career doesn't seem to go anywhere even if he's a solid player. He's the male version of Pelletier.

The only good prospect is Bester. And maybe Polanski.

I enjoyed watching Bester play on Day 1 but I really don't see him going anywhere...this is sad.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:04 PM

That's not the problem, the problem is there are no free tennis courts here, you have to pay court fees or join an expensive club just to play recreationally, on top of that the courts that are outdoors are either too wet or we're breathing fumes trying to play on them :(

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Well if we had someone to support we would do it. Much like England has their football (and basically nothing else matters there), here in Canada we have the NHL, the NBA, the CFL and MLB. All sports take precedence over Tennis.

Would be nice to have a Canadian superstar for once...I don't think Frank Dancevic has what it takes.

You have ice hockey that's it!

Mistaflava
08-12-2005, 05:08 PM

thanks for Byron Dafoe...really

Lee
08-12-2005, 05:10 PM
That's not the problem, the problem is there are no free tennis courts here, you have to pay court fees or join an expensive club just to play recreationally, on top of that the courts that are outdoors are either too wet or we're breathing fumes trying to play on them :(

Sounds like in Canada. You can't play outdoor during the winter and only a few months in the summer. And playing indoor will cost a fortune, like your arms and legs, so unless you have wealthy parents and you have absolutely no talent in hockey, baseball, football, etc etc, you may develop into a good tennis player.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Sounds like in Canada. You can't play outdoor during the winter and only a few months in the summer. And playing indoor will cost a fortune, like your arms and legs, so unless you have wealthy parents and you have absolutely no talent in hockey, baseball, football, etc etc, you may develop into a good tennis player.

You don't have to be a member of MENSA to figure out why the warm countries with year round play are producing the majority of the talent.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Actually, it's not. But judging by your posts in there, I wouldn't expect you to know very much about what you speak ;)

uNIVERSE mAN
08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Oh come now Chloe! you're awfully judgmental considering you're a girl who doesn't understand the purpose of a flag.

hablovah19
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't think he would have done as well if he stayed in Canada. He went to England for a reason, and he did reach number 4 in the world and make a slam final after doing so. Given our track record, I find it hard to believe he would have done that if he stayed. But who knows.

that's what my post was trying to point out ;) :wavey:

hablovah19
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Not only is she born in the French speaking region of Canada, yes Montréal, Québec but her mother Annick is French too.

forgot about that! :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Oh come now Chloe! you're awfully judgmental considering you're a girl who doesn't understand the purpose of a flag.
Topic?

YoursTruly
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Thank you for this topic, it's interesting. I'm Canadian so I thought I'd comment on it. To this day, I'm not impressed about Greg dumping Canada for Britain. I remember watching the 1995 Canadian Open and I loved it so much when he was booed heavily when he appeared that I got goosebumps! What is annoying is that the crowds don't boo anymore and they're actually supportive! What's with that? I'm not. I don't support traitors. That's one thing about being too nice that's not good.

And here's where the connection between the main purpose of this thread (Greg) and the latest comments on Canadian players and funding. Greg got up to no.4 in the late 90s and I think if he stayed in Canada, I honestly believe that would have made a difference in Canadian tennis. Male and female. But he left and he took possible inspiration with him. We have good players here and every 5 years we have prospects but then they become flowers that never bloom. And right now we have a good number of male and female tennis prospects that are seen playing for Davis and Fed Cup (Dancevic, Niemeyer, Pelletier, Wozniak, etc.), but I think time is running out on them to peak high. Wozniak and Fichman are just starting out on the WTA though. Then what? They'll pass again and never get to reach their potential just like the previous batch (Nestor, Lareau, Larose, Nejedly, Jeyesselan, Drake) and at the same time Canadian tennis will be eyeing on some new players who they say will have a "bright future." It's a cycle that isn't ending. Other countries issues are that they have lack of players. Our issue is that we always have a bunch at every era but then they don't show their promise. We have a weak tennis foundation pro and public/amateur/leisure, we have an autumn and winter that last very long and then, no stars of our own to look up to.

YoursTruly

Paul Banks
08-12-2005, 11:23 PM
What is annoying is that the crowds don't boo anymore and they're actually supportive! What's with that? I'm not. I don't support traitors. That's one thing about being too nice that's not good.

So you don't support Seles, Navratilova and the numerous people who changed their nationality during their life?

So you have a problem with every Canadians who emigrate here, because they are traitors to their original country?

The resentement toward Rusedski is extremely unfair. Greg had the right to choose to represent Britain, if he felt Britain was a better country for him. Judging him for his decision is like judging someone religion, sexual orientation or lifestyle; it's his own business.

"We would love you if you would be one of us, but because you're not, we hate you". Ugh. People reaction only confirm Rusedski did the right thing.

I do not agree at that time with some of Rusedski actions that were immature and innapropriate (like waving the flag at Wimbledon), which is why people were mad at him in 95, but after that people should have had the maturity to accept he prefers to be British rather than Canadian.

It's sad that people are hating on him simply because he was the only decent Canadian player. If there would have been more successful players than him at that time, people wouldn't have really care about Rusedski leaving Canada.
So Rusedski has been used as a scapegoat by frustrated Canadian tennis fans.

GermanBoy
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Who knows who you met... :rolleyes: :p

ultraX
08-13-2005, 03:53 AM
that's the main issue here.

Most of tennis players have a hard time to get fund sports and Sponsors cuz
Tennis isn't that popular here. They put all their crappy cash to recruit Hockey players instead of it which I totally loathe.

I'm pretty sure the only good thing here is this tournament but after this sunday when it will be done nobody will really care of it.

Don't get me wrong but I think Hockey Les canadiens is crap!!!

the people that didn't know who Rusedski is probably don't follow tennis much :p

didn't know Rusedski could speak french too :eek: :angel:

his reception with the media is not as bad as it used to be, from what I've seen on TV anyway...

hablovah19
08-13-2005, 04:50 AM
that's the main issue here.

Most of tennis players have a hard time to get fund sports and Sponsors cuz
Tennis isn't that popular here. They put all their crappy cash to recruit Hockey players instead of it which I totally loathe.

I'm pretty sure the only good thing here is this tournament but after this sunday when it will be done nobody will really care of it.

Don't get me wrong but I think Hockey Les canadiens is crap!!!

The Habs rule :p

Mistaflava
08-13-2005, 12:28 PM
The Habs rule :p

they rule the shitty teams. GO LEAFS GO!

hablovah19
08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
they rule the shitty teams. GO LEAFS GO!

I hope you're not counting on Lindros to save you :haha:

LAFFS Blow, Habs rock :rocker2:

YoursTruly
08-14-2005, 03:27 AM
So you don't support Seles, Navratilova and the numerous people who changed their nationality during their life?

So you have a problem with every Canadians who emigrate here, because they are traitors to their original country?

The resentement toward Rusedski is extremely unfair. Greg had the right to choose to represent Britain, if he felt Britain was a better country for him. Judging him for his decision is like judging someone religion, sexual orientation or lifestyle; it's his own business.

"We would love you if you would be one of us, but because you're not, we hate you". Ugh. People reaction only confirm Rusedski did the right thing.

I do not agree at that time with some of Rusedski actions that were immature and innapropriate (like waving the flag at Wimbledon), which is why people were mad at him in 95, but after that people should have had the maturity to accept he prefers to be British rather than Canadian.

It's sad that people are hating on him simply because he was the only decent Canadian player. If there would have been more successful players than him at that time, people wouldn't have really care about Rusedski leaving Canada.
So Rusedski has been used as a scapegoat by frustrated Canadian tennis fans.

1. Don't you EVER compare Greg leaving Canada to Seles and Navratilova defecting to the United States. The former Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia were very difficult to live in and were going through rough times. Oh yeah, Greg was in a troubled country with political turmoil! Please. And it is not like judging someone because of their orientation, religion, etc. It's so far from that. Don't try to sound so PC and media-aware and so smart. That's the problem of people like you. You and your memorized lines of sounding just. You can say that somebody has the "right" but the problem is there is no thought or research behind saying that they have their "right." Fine so I have my right to feel this way. Rights are so abused.

2. He could have chosen to represent Britain at a younger age when he was starting out. Don't ask me, ask him.

3. He was not the only decent Canadian player. Maybe the top chance for the 90s and current era, but we've had Carling Bassett, Helen Kelesi and a few others. Do your homework.

4. What do you know? You're American! This is a Canadian issue and one that is an issue in our hearts. You deal with your own issues, which you have a lot of.

Paul Banks
08-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Don't you EVER compare Greg leaving Canada to Seles and Navratilova defecting to the United States. The former Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia were very difficult to live in and were going through rough times.

And what difference does it make? There are many players who don't leave their country even if they are difficult to live in and are going through rough times. So let's be clear, you welcome in Canada with open arms people from countries like Yougoslavia, but you treat like traitor people who come from the USA or France, for example?

And it is not like judging someone because of their orientation, religion, etc. It's so far from that. Don't try to sound so PC and media-aware and so smart. That's the problem of people like you. You and your memorized lines of sounding just. You can say that somebody has the "right" but the problem is there is no thought or research behind saying that they have their "right." Fine so I have my right to feel this way. Rights are so abused.

7 lines, no point. Ok.

He could have chosen to represent Britain at a younger age when he was starting out. Don't ask me, ask him.

He could. He didn't have to.

He was not the only decent Canadian player. Maybe the top chance for the 90s and current era, but we've had Carling Bassett, Helen Kelesi and a few others. Do your homework.

Please tell me you're f*cking kidding me. What was Bassett or Kelesi ranking in 1995?

4. What do you know? You're American! This is a Canadian issue and one that is an issue in our hearts. You deal with your own issues, which you have a lot of.

I'm Canadian obviously, read the friggin' thread.

Believe it or not, a lot of Canadians believe in freedom of choice and respect Rusedski decision.

Paul Banks
08-14-2005, 05:55 AM
The fact is, if Rusedski would have been the fifth best Canadian at that time, no one would have cared much if he would have leave for Britain... But because he was the only hope, people decided to hate on him, because there is no one else to care for. It's really sad.

oneandonlyhsn
08-14-2005, 06:09 AM
I dislike Rusedski as a player but I totally respect his decision to leave for greener pastures. Unless Canada improves drastically to induce encouragement and motivation into their athletes I cant blame any athlete for wanting to leave.

I find most people say from Ontario and those areas are more sympathric towards athletes. I am from Alberta, and majority of people here and the neighbouring areas that I have talked to dont give a rats ass about anything to do with sports. They think that supporting athletes so that they can train fulltime is a waste of goverment and taxpayers money and should go towards other more important things.
:o I know I cant wait to get out of this part of the world

YoursTruly
08-15-2005, 09:48 PM

And what difference does it make? There are many players who don't leave their country even if they are difficult to live in and are going through rough times. So let's be clear, you welcome in Canada with open arms people from countries like Yougoslavia, but you treat like traitor people who come from the USA or France, for example?

7 lines, no point. Ok.

He could. He didn't have to.

Please tell me you're f*cking kidding me. What was Bassett or Kelesi ranking in 1995?

I'm Canadian obviously, read the friggin' thread.

Believe it or not, a lot of Canadians believe in freedom of choice and respect Rusedski decision.

Yap yap yap blah blah blah, you're of no importance. Besides, I thank you for paying attention and for reading all of what I've written :) talk to you soon!

Paul Banks
08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
It was a pleasure owning you.

YoursTruly
08-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Keep at it! Love ya! ;)