Does anyone else think Brad Gilbert needs to shut the F up?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anyone else think Brad Gilbert needs to shut the F up??

mangoes
08-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I'm trying to watch the Agassi/Kiefer match, and Brad Gilbert is just running his mouth continuously. He won't stop. TALK, TALK, TALK............ Shut the fuck up. Can't he get someone else to coach??

oneandonlyhsn
08-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Gilbert annoys me with his constant Americanizing peoples names, like Nicky D for Davydenko :rolleyes:

Oneofakind0490
08-12-2005, 12:37 AM
They say the same thing every match. Its so annoying.

mangoes
08-12-2005, 12:40 AM
They say the same thing every match. Its so annoying.

I feel like when Brad isn't coaching us, the viewers on tennis, he is giving numbers and history lessons. He is truly decreasing my enjoyment of this match.

NYCtennisfan
08-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't know, I am finding him kind of amusing lately. It's really weird.

Lee
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Hit the mute button. :p ;)

mangoes
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't know, I am finding him kind of amusing lately. It's really weird.

lololololol..........................I'm sure you can find many good doctors in NY that can prescribe a great antiviral drug for those symptoms........LOLOLOL :p ;)

sigmagirl91
08-12-2005, 12:48 AM
lololololol..........................I'm sure you can find many good doctors in NY that can prescribe a great antiviral drug for those symptoms........LOLOLOL :p ;)

Or an even better trankie. :rolleyes:

MissMoJo
08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I find PMac more annoying lately. Brad actually got a laugh out of me with his reference to kiwi's 'Mr.T starter kit' :haha:

sigmagirl91
08-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I find PMac more annoying lately. Brad actually got a laugh out of me with his reference to kiwi's 'Mr.T starter kit' :haha:

Yeah, I heard that. Kiwi's quite the "bling king", isn't he?

bad gambler
08-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Gilbert annoys me with his constant Americanizing peoples names, like Nicky D for Davydenko :rolleyes:

Nicky D :haha:

bad gambler
08-12-2005, 01:06 AM
This is the first time I'm listening to him and I'm finding it hilarious :lol:

Haute
08-12-2005, 01:10 AM

That's because he can actually pronounce Nicky D and not struggle trying to say Nikolay Davydenko. ;)

Regenbogen
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
I find PMac more annoying lately.
he's driving me insane :o

tangerine_dream
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
No. He redeemed himself with that "Mr T starter kit" comment. So dumb it's funny. :haha:

Pea
08-12-2005, 01:15 AM
What I hate is how he always so willing to say anything negative about foreign players, like his rant about how Kiefer stares his opponents down all the time and how he goes out of his way to annoy umpires and linesman.........etc. etc. etc...........my gawd. You can say the same thing about any of the American players. Even agassi stares his opponents down.

MissMoJo
08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
he's driving me insane :o
ditto, i might be willing to listen to sharapova's howls over his embarressing hero worship :rolleyes:

Yeah, I heard that. Kiwi's quite the "bling king", isn't he?
He's giving marat a run for his money

nobama
08-12-2005, 01:24 AM
He is truly decreasing my enjoyment of this match.Keifer did that for me. What did it take, almost an hour to play the first set?

Clara Bow
08-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Brad Gilbert is much better at commentating when he is courtside/in the stands. Then he doesn't yammer so much and actully can offer some decent analysis. He has more of his "coaching hat" on when he is courtside.

Today when PMac was saying that they gave Cliff the night off so Brad would be in the broadcast booth Brad said that he would rather be doing his stands gig. My thought "Me too Brad, me too."

In the booth he can be too much.

nobama
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
What I hate is how he always so willing to say anything negative about foreign players, like his rant about how Kiefer stares his opponents down all the time and how he goes out of his way to annoy umpires and linesman.........etc. etc. etc...........my gawd. You can say the same thing about any of the American players. Even agassi stares his opponents down.That's why I don't like when PMac and Gilbert comment on Agassi and Roddick matches, because the bias is so obvious it's sickening. I mean yesterday PMac was making excuses for Andy's early exit saying he didn't have time to adjust to the court & conditions. :tears: Of course he had to say that because he was the one talking up Andy and what great form he is in.

mangoes
08-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Brad Gilbert is much better at commentating when he is courtside/in the stands. Then he doesn't yammer so much and actully can offer some decent analysis. He has more of his "coaching hat" on when he is courtside.

Today when PMac was saying that they gave Cliff the night off so Brad would be in the broadcast booth Brad said that he would rather be doing his stands gig. My thought "Me too Brad, me too."

In the booth he can be too much.

True. I don't have a problem with him when he is sitting courtside.

sigmagirl91
08-12-2005, 01:34 AM
That's why I don't like when PMac and Gilbert comment on Agassi and Roddick matches, because the bias is so obvious it's sickening. I mean yesterday PMac was making excuses for Andy's early exit saying he didn't have time to adjust to the court & conditions. :tears: Of course he had to say that because he was the one talking up Andy and what great form he is in.

Typical CYA move.... :o

onewoman74
08-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Pls...I changed the channel, cause BG's mouth wouldn't stop running...I found my boyfriend Jon Stewart...BG or Jon S...no contest!!!! Jon wins every time!!

tangerine_dream
08-12-2005, 01:54 AM
That's why I don't like when PMac and Gilbert comment on Agassi and Roddick matches, because the bias is so obvious it's sickening. I mean yesterday PMac was making excuses for Andy's early exit saying he didn't have time to adjust to the court & conditions. :tears: Of course he had to say that because he was the one talking up Andy and what great form he is in.
Are you also sickened when PMac creams his pants over Roger?

Fumus
08-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Brad gives the best commentary on ESPN(maybe not when John Mcenroe or Martina Navratolova does commentary but thats few and far between).

MTF gives Brad a bad rep because he's a know it all and MTFers are notorious know it alls. Brads commentary is very insightful, example, tonight he was talking about pulling the trigger down the line with the backhand and when to do it. I think stuff like that could help anyones game aswell as their overall knowledge of tennis. Brad's certainly better than Cliff "Alzhiemier" Drysdale, Mal "I don't know shit about tennis" Washington, or Patrick "EYE DROPPER!!" Mcenroe...the whole team at ESPN blows.

I will take John Barret and his BBC sidekick anyday over the ESPN clowns, but that's just me. Brad is good, I mean he's certainly not for everyone but he doesn't make shit up, or read stupid facts about players dads off of some friggin' sheet that ESPN's crack squad has created...he's just Brad but, he knows tennis.

lunahielo
08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
I only wish they would both (BG and PMc) would learn how to pronounce Nadal's name.

With the $$ they are making it seems like they could buy a Spanish pronunciation book and learn how the letter *A* sounds.
But I guess that would be too easy. :confused:

oneandonlyhsn
08-12-2005, 02:09 AM

It actually annoys me to no extent when they go gaga over any player, even Roger and that says something. I love Roger and Rafa and I know how nice and talented they are but my God it gets annoying sometimes when thats all they say. If I didn't know any better I swear PMac would ditch his wife for Rafa :rolleyes: I'd take the commentary on Eurosport any day over ESPN

tangerine_dream
08-12-2005, 02:39 AM
It actually annoys me to no extent when they go gaga over any player, even Roger and that says something. I love Roger and Rafa and I know how nice and talented they are but my God it gets annoying sometimes when thats all they say. If I didn't know any better I swear PMac would ditch his wife for Rafa :rolleyes: I'd take the commentary on Eurosport any day over ESPN
Eurosport puts me to sleep but I agree that sometimes PMac and Co. can go a tad overboard when praising a player (and it's not just the Americans they go nuts for; you're right: Rafa is PMac's new child bride :lol: ). My point is: bragging about a top ten player's abilities isn't "bias" it's just stating a fact.

NYCtennisfan
08-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Brad actually got a laugh out of me with his reference to kiwi's 'Mr.T starter kit'

LOL! That was hilarious!

NYCtennisfan
08-12-2005, 02:49 AM
MTF gives Brad a bad rep because he's a know it all and MTFers are notorious know it alls. Brads commentary is very insightful, example, tonight he was talking about pulling the trigger down the line with the backhand and when to do it. I think stuff like that could help anyones game aswell as their overall knowledge of tennis. Brad's certainly better than Cliff "Alzhiemier" Drysdale, Mal "I don't know shit about tennis" Washington, or Patrick "EYE DROPPER!!" Mcenroe...the whole team at ESPN blows.

Brad is abrassive and irriatating and annoying but he makes very good insights into the game. Anyone who has ever read his book "Winning Ugly" knows this. He was making a very good point the other day about why Roddick lacked firepower from the BH side. He talked about how Roddick had a "stiff" left arm that didn't allow for a natural explosion through the hitting zone. The form is not bad but the stiff arm prevents the shot from being smooth or powerful.

He is hard to take but he does offer things that other commentators don't.

nobama
08-12-2005, 03:11 AM
I don't like it when they drool over anyone. I know PMac goes gagga over Roger too, but he doesn't make excuses for him. That's what bothered me more than anything. Instead of just giving Mathieu credit and saying Andy played a bad match he had to come up with some excuse about how Andy didn't have "time to adjust". I think that's a lame excuse. If say, Hewitt had played Washington and won and then went out early in Montreal would PMac have said the same thing?

rofe
08-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Rafa is PMac's new child bride :lol:

Since yesterday PMac has been raving about how wonderful it would be to see the Rafa-Seb match and today when they came on court, I thought he came pretty close to jerking off at the though of the "animal" Rafa.

Fumus
08-12-2005, 04:20 AM
Brad is abrassive and irriatating and annoying but he makes very good insights into the game. Anyone who has ever read his book "Winning Ugly" knows this. He was making a very good point the other day about why Roddick lacked firepower from the BH side. He talked about how Roddick had a "stiff" left arm that didn't allow for a natural explosion through the hitting zone. The form is not bad but the stiff arm prevents the shot from being smooth or powerful.

He is hard to take but he does offer things that other commentators don't.

yea exactly, but alot of fans don't like him in here just cuz he's pushes his opinion so hard. Since everyone here has crazy opinions of their own, they don't like Brad pushing his so they get sad :sad: and then mad :mad: and then they come here and whine about in their posts.

liptea
08-12-2005, 04:23 AM

sorry, but I think that's really funny. I just wish Brad would realize that people are laughing AT him, not WITH him.

Fumus
08-12-2005, 04:38 AM
sorry, but I think that's really funny. I just wish Brad would realize that people are laughing AT him, not WITH him.

Actually I think that helps the American people learn the players that they don't know. Even the casual tennis fans in America may not know Davydenko.I mean, that's what they did with the US Open series, Andy "Rocket Man", Roger "The Boss", Safin "Mr.Upredictable"...etc it all helps with creating a fan base. :)

MissMoJo
08-12-2005, 04:41 AM
... I thought he came pretty close to jerking off at the though of the "animal" Rafa.
He did, that's what those multiple 'oh yeahs' were for.

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:46 AM
He must be destroyed.

Murkofan
08-12-2005, 04:48 AM
All of the ESPN commentators need to be destroyed :p

Hell, I'd say destroy the entire network so TNT would get the Slams back if it didn't mean the loss of Around the Horn, PTI, and Stat Boy :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :p

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:49 AM
I LOVE AROUND THE HORN! :bounce:

Murkofan
08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
It's one of three shows I bother to watch on a regular basis :p

KarstenBraasch#1
08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
So Brad ridiculed Kiefer?

Brad :worship: :hearts:

Scotso
08-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Ditto. It's on right after I get off work every day so it's pretty convenient for me to just come in, plop down and relax while watching it. I have to admit I liked it more when Max Kellerman was the host, but I still love it.

Who's your favorite panelist? I love me some Woody!

superpinkone37
08-12-2005, 04:59 AM
I like Brad. You have to admit it-- he knows tennis. Obviously he is annoying, but you cannot tell me that pmac with his "HELLO!!" and "THE DROPPER" are not. Maybe Brad is better at the sidelines gig that way we can hear his comments every once in a while but he is not constantly talking. Brad comes up with the funny stuff, but maybe its just us laughing AT him like Niti said. But no "joke" needs to be repeated 43854375 times like he often does. Also, Patrick and Brad should never be in a booth together. Ever.

Scotso
08-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Yes, PMac is annoying. The only commentators that aren't annoying are Johnny Mac and Tracy Austin. I love it when they team up.

liptea
08-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Brad Gilbert + Vince Spadea = True Love Knows No Gender.

haha, Brad, the good times are killing me!

superpinkone37
08-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Brad Gilbert + Vince Spadea = True Love Knows No Gender.

haha, Brad, the good times are killing me!
Brad and Vince! :inlove:

:haha:

alelysafina
08-12-2005, 05:52 AM

:eek: I do that :o ....

He scared the crap out of me when I was watching the PHM vs. Roddick match, he would just do this scary evil wisper... *shudder*

Clara Bow
08-12-2005, 05:54 AM
The only commentators that aren't annoying are Johnny Mac and Tracy Austin.

I really enjoy Mary Carillo when she is on. She can have a pretty good wit. She can go on her mini-rants (particualry in regards to the WTA) but overall I really enjoy her.

I like Cliffy too.

And Brad- as obnoxious as he can be at times- is good from the sidelines I think. He understands the game. I do wish, however, that he would go back to coaching and coach James Blake because I think he could be a big asset for James.

I do think that PMac and Brad (and Cliffy) do have the ATP players they luuurve. Agassi and Roddick first tier, then Federer (Feds is the number 1 for Cliffy I think) and Safin, second tier, then Nadal (though could quickly move up a tier). Brad also really likes Hewitt, which fits I think.

nobama
08-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Cliffy loves Roger, but the worst are the Eurosport commentators (I don't know their names). At the TMC when Roger and Marat played that amazing tie break, they were quite annoying with their constat gushing over Roger. There was one point - match point where there was a bad line call and Roger didnt' question it. The commentators went on and on about how well he was taking it, how the match should have been over, ect. Then later on in the tb when one of Roger's serves was wide, but it wasn't called out they said something like he deserves a break. And at the end of the match when Roger was thanking the crowd they were gushing about what a wonderful human being he is, how he's the class of tennis, ect. I like Roger, but this was a bit much.

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Pls...I changed the channel, cause BG's mouth wouldn't stop running...I found my boyfriend Jon Stewart...BG or Jon S...no contest!!!! Jon wins every time!!
honey thers no way Jon is your boyfriend coz he's my baby daddy!!

nermo
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
sometimes, i think, commentators believe they can make more money when they talk about 3000000000 words/sec.
it's very much annoying, :mad: and it's even worse when they take the side one player , ignoring poor viewers..don't know , may be it's something wrong with the job itself.. :cool:

onewoman74
08-12-2005, 01:00 PM
honey thers no way Jon is your boyfriend coz he's my baby daddy!!

I guess we're gonna have a catfight...cause it's gonna get nasty!!! LOL!!! :boxing:

mangoes
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
yea exactly, but alot of fans don't like him in here just cuz he's pushes his opinion so hard. Since everyone here has crazy opinions of their own, they don't like Brad pushing his so they get sad :sad: and then mad :mad: and then they come here and whine about in their posts.

No, that is not the reason for my being upset. I enjoy his opinions, but he needs to shut up occasionally and not continuously talk. Offer his opinions, then give his mouth a little break so viewers can concentrate on what's happening on the court. It's like sitting next to someone at a tennis match that doesn't stop talking. It would irritate anyone.

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I guess we're gonna have a catfight...cause it's gonna get nasty!!! LOL!!! :boxing:
oh no you didnt!!! :fiery:

:lol:

croat123
08-12-2005, 01:18 PM
they all suck. every single one of them. some european comentators are bareable, but the ones on espn are the worst. espn would save money by not having any commentators and just giving us the audio feed from the court (of course, they could invest the money they save into interactive coverage)

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
audio feed on the court is only bearable when a player goes on a tirade and other times its just boring. i hate it when the player is telling the umpire somrthing and PMac is all 'well he's telling the umpire that he ...." i'm like STFU so we can hear it from the horses mouth!!

revolution
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes! One of the best coaches in the world but also a mouthy little shit.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm liking him better than Pmac lately.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Is Mary Carillo straight?

mitalidas
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Is Mary Carillo straight?Its not conclusive proof, but she is married to a man and has a kid with him

PamV
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM

I know. Both he and PMac have the worse pronunciations possible. Cliff Drysdale can pronounce so why can't they.

soonha
08-23-2005, 08:24 PM
People, it looks like he's NEVER gonna change...... :o

Brad Gilbert speaking to Tennis Week on his commentating for ESPN: "They had to change their style to me. I use no notes, I don't wear a suit and tie, I wear a t-shirt (laughs). I'm the same way on and off (camera)...That's the way I commentate and that's the way I am as a person -- if I feel something in my head, I'm going to let it fly and not think too much. I don't rehearse or anything, I just let it fly...I always want to see (Andre Agassi) win. But if I'm not objective they probably won't put me on TV. But you watch Andre and you know he's still hitting a darn good ball so it's not like he's not in the thick of things. So I feel like when they come down to me, I'm gonna be me and whatever is on top of my head, I'm just gonna wing it."..

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2005-08-23/d.php

boliviana
08-23-2005, 09:01 PM
When he was born, they lost the "listen" button . . . he doesn't have one. He goes off on tangents and makes himself the center of the universe. Agassi at one point had to remind him that Gilbert was an employee and to get over it . . . I heard the story . . . I think Gilbert wanted them to fraternize after a tournament or practice or something. He forgets his place. He wears out his welcome.

the commentators on the tennis channel are pretty good . . . they shut up during points and all you hear is the ball and the grunts . . .