Super Mario? More like Stupor Mario. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Super Mario? More like Stupor Mario.

kabuki
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
It's not that I can't believe that he lost to Rusedski, an (occasionally) tricky player. It's the manner in which he lost. Bricked volleys, forehands and overheads galore. When he actually bothered to look interested during the second set, he didn't lose a point on his serve. The other two sets, :scared:.

Fumus
08-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I find Ancic only likes to get up for the big player...everyone else...Ancic just sleeps.

Scotso
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't see how anyone loses to Rusedski, personally.

El Legenda
08-11-2005, 10:18 PM

2004 Los Angels round of 16. Go find out who lost to Rusedski.

NewTennisFan
08-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I think the probabilities were somewhat weighted in Rusedski's favor, as I expressed early this morning in the gambling forum. In spite of the fact that Rusedski's recent form on hard courts is considerably more impressive, the important thing is that Ancic, when he's a big favorite, just doesn't seem to perform. Perhaps he has problems dealing with pressure. I don't know. But it was from among the subjective disadvantages I thought might play a real part in the match. Just a pity I didn't have the guts to place the bet!

Scotso
08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
2004 Los Angels round of 16. Go find out who lost to Rusedski.

Am I supposed to care?

mangoes
08-11-2005, 10:56 PM

I couldn't agree more. HOW :rolleyes:

jrm
08-12-2005, 12:19 AM
When he barely won against Serra in round 2 i had Greg down to win the match!

mangoes
08-12-2005, 01:37 AM
How about Sleepy Mario. I just don't know what goes through him. One sec, he is awake on the court and playing good tennis, then he plays as if he is asleep against Rusedski? There is no way he should have lost to him.

MariaV
08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
No comment really. :tape: :rolleyes: :help:

skel1983
08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Karol Beck fan says it all!!!!

How can anyone be beaton by Rusedski???

you disrespectful idiot!!!!
Give the guy a break 32 years old possibly on the verge of top 25 this year grand slam finalist TMS winner as high as number 4 in the world, show some class you muppet!!!!

Meeek
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM

Give the guy a break 32 years old possibly on the verge of top 25 this year grand slam finalist TMS winner as high as number 4 in the world, show some class you muppet!!!!

:lol: :worship:

Geniey2g
08-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Agreed!
A player deserves to win when they're playing well (and better than their opponent!)

Leave the bitterness behind, guys...

Experimentee
08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Mario :rolleyes:
I dont see how he can lose to Rusedski either. He has a better serve, better volleys, and much better groundstrokes and speed, plus he is younger and higher ranked.

skel1983
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Ancic didn't look bothered for 80% of the match, when he seemed to take an intrest he was winning his serve to Love and taking Rusedski close in most of his service games, but most of the time hitting the ball into the bottom of the net, for me he has problems outside of tennis(body language would suggest this) he has just parted with his coach, looks clueless at the moment. On top form would probably have way to much for Greg, but credit to Greg on a mini revival!!!!

Sjengster
08-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Some people on this board seem to fall victim to the Stepanek Syndrome, ie if a player is ugly, they must be pathetic and untalented. Rusedski has a poor backhand, true, but he's in a completely different league to the likes of Karlovic, Mirnyi, Arthurs et al - his forehand is a better groundstroke than any of theirs, he has good tactical sense and he competes hard, not always effectively but he's a strong fighter. Now I agree, Ancic is an attacking player with more game than him, but I don't find it at all shocking that Rusedski was able to outplay him; he likes playing fellow serve-volleyers, since it's the style he's most familiar with. He's not a great returner, but he does block and chip returns back which is what you have to do against big servers, it worked for periods of the US Open match against Sampras. And if we're going to talk about sleepiness and concentration lapses, why hasn't anyone mentioned Rusedski's appalling drop volley into the net with the whole court open that led to him dropping his serve in the second set and being pushed into a decider? Without that ridiculous showboating shot he could very well have won in straight sets.

Daniel
08-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Mario :smash: