is hewitt racist? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

is hewitt racist?

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
or just languagist? ;)

Hewitt vs. los hispanos
Lleyton Hewitt no olvida los entredichos con Coria en la Davis de Sydney, aunque su preocupación ahora es la creciente afluencia de hispanoparlantes en el circuito Consultado en rueda de prensa sobre la gira del US Open, el hoy Nø 3 del mundo volvió a criticar a Alberto Mancini "por incitar a Coria y quejarse permanentemente ante los juez de silla" y, al preguntársele si el asunto seguirá, afirmó: "Hay un par de tipos con los que no tomaría una cerveza, seguro. Son afortunados de tener muchos argentinos con los que puedan pasar el rato en el vestuario. Hoy, los únicos que hablamos inglés somos Rod****, Blake, otros estadounidenses, Henman y yo. Sólo eso. Nos sobrepasaron en el área del idioma".

Hewitt agaisnt Hispanic people

Hewitt doesn't forget the problems with Coria in Davis Cup in Sydney, eventhough his worries now go for the increasing number of Spanish speaker in the circuit. About the Usopen's tour, number 3 in the world criticized Alberto Mancini again for sending Coria to complain about every ball and confront the umpire. When the press asked if it will go on, he said: "There are a few guys with which i wouldn't drink a beer, that's for sure. They very lucky to have a lot of argentinians to chat with in the locker rooms. Today the only ones that speak English are Rodd-ick, Blake, a few americans more, Henman and me. Just this. They beat us in the language area."

source (http://com5.runboard.com/bmaratsafinarttennis.fmainchat.t316)

Apparently this was printed in an argentinian newspaper.
Any comments? :devil:

skel1983
08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
i wouldn't say he is racist, he is just a highly strung guy who obviously doesn't let things lie, he has alot of aggresion on the court and alot of players and fans alike don't like that an awful lot. It was probably a off the cuff remark after the tie with Argentina where he was obviously dissapointed with the tie. I don't think he is racist at all. He respects guys from all around the globe i know one of his fav players is Guga, i don't think Nationality, colour has any significence to Hewitt's opinion and attitude towards you.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
:yawn:

boliviana
08-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Racist . . . maybe. That is just a nasty set of comments . . . Ignorant perhaps. Classless. An ass of the highest order? How can you justify comments like that? There is no excuse . . .

Reminds of John Rocker - idiot pitcher in baseball who just went off the deep end about the 7 train in NYC (that's the one that goes to Shea Stadium and the US Open). He just bitched and moaned about all the foreigners on the train and how no one spoke any english or was white. The press killed him . . . and he needed so much police protection when he played here.

Experimentee
08-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I dont think that comment was racist, Its natural to be more appreciative when people can speak your language and can have a chat. The Blake incident is a better basis for claiming that Hewitt is racist.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Nimomunz, who gives a s*** about Lleyton Hewitt! All that matters today is the King. What up KAY - SAR!! Tonite is the nite :D hehe

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
i just think its weird he would say that becoz most of them though they are spanish speakers speak english.

Kristen
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
"Today the only ones that speak English are Rodd-ick, Blake, a few americans more, Henman and me. Just this. They beat us in the language area.":haha: I hadn't heard this part before, although the part about Lleyton not having a beer with Coria has been getting around.
1. It's "Henman and I" although I'm sure this isn't a poor translation, just poor English from alleged legendary Aussie.
2. I'm with ninomunz' last post... how many Spanish-speaking people speak English? How many English-speakers, speak Spanish.

:lol: It's not the only area they beat you in :wavey:

oneandonlyhsn
08-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Nimomunz, who gives a s*** about Lleyton Hewitt! All that matters today is the King. What up KAY - SAR!! Tonite is the nite :D hehe

:worship: :worship: I LOVE KAYSAR

lau
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
from http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/usopenseries_hewitt.asp

(...)
Question: On a separate subject, do you think looking back and reflecting on what happened over the weekend, do you think the officials kind of lost control of your match? Also, does it seem to you, what's the deal with these guys from Argentina and you or what?

Lleyton: It was a weird situation on the weekend. I didn't feel like I actually did anything wrong at all throughout the match. I felt like their captain, Alberto Mancini, was definitely trying to put Coria in that kind of frame of mind I think right from the start, you know, him questioning and going to the referee the whole time instead of just using the chair umpire. I think definitely think the chair umpire could have been a lot firmer. There was no need for the referee to come out every second game on the court. Obviously, the crowd is going to get a lot more involved when that kind of stuff happens as well. You know, spitting involved again. There was a lot of incidents I think that just added up to it not quite being a tennis match.

Question: Do you think some of the bad blood might carry over next time you play one of those guys or do you think it's going to be not forgotten but isolated?

Lleyton: I'm not sure. You know, obviously, there are a couple of guys that I definitely wouldn't go and have a beer with, that's for sure. That's just the way I see it. You know, they're obviously very fortunate that there's a lot of Argentines on the tour as well and in the locker rooms that they can hang around with, a lot of their close mates out there. At the moment, the only English-speaking guys are Andy Roddick, James Blake, a couple American guys, Tim Henman and myself. That's about it. We're outweighed in the actual speaking department in the locker room.
(...)

mitalidas
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
hey, this is half the story
didn't coria say that he wanted to kill hewitt? if you want a fair and balanced debate, put that quote up from his interview too

lau
08-11-2005, 05:34 PM
didn't coria say that he wanted to kill hewitt? if you want a fair and balanced debate, put that quote up from his interview too
He said something like :scratch: "when he`s oncourt you feel like killing him." And said that when he`s not playing he`s a totally different person.
I`m not saying Hewitt is racist ;) I think this is not enough. There have been other incidents to discuss wheter Lleyton is racist or not, as was previously pointed out.
In fact, when I read this quotes I didn´t feel he was being offensive... I though "act like a man and stop crying" :lol:
And to tell you the truth, I wanted to post the interview because I though the article was biased ;)
Anyway, Coria and Hewitt will never be my favourites... :rolleyes:

zethand
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I think he is just mad because he is not happy. People that cannot accept themselves cannot accept others. And Coria is the same case.

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
maybe he feels left out

nobama
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
At the moment, the only English-speaking guys are Andy Roddick, James Blake, a couple American guys, Tim Henman and myself. That's about it. We're outweighed in the actual speaking department in the locker room.
What his he talking about? :scratch: Unless he's talking about guys who's first language is English? Because there are plenty of players other than who he mentioned who speak English very well. Federer and Johansson are two that come to mind.

Raquel
08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Saying there's more Spanish speakers than English speakers in the locker room is not racist.

boliviana
08-11-2005, 05:57 PM
The question isn't about Coria . . . the question is about Hewitt. If you stack up his comments - separate from anyone else's behavior - then it doesn't look very pretty. He comes across as a narrow minded ignoramus.

AND . . . if you can't make your argument stand on it's own without using others' behavior, etc. for justification then your argument must be pretty weak.

Not everything need to be about bashing Coria . . .

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
not evrything needs to be about bashing hewitt.

dont you just think maybe he's lonely and feels left out? needs a hug?

p.s. i heart the word ignoramus!!

mitalidas
08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds like the only valid responses to this are the ones that ensure its bashing of hewitt. That's just stupid. These comments came after an extremely ugly and heated match between coria and hewitt. they have to be seen in light of what had just taken place, and how each was provoked by what the other said during and after the match. No one wants to start a retaliatory thread entitled "Finally Coria replaces choking instincts with killer instincts" and so the optimal thing to do is have a balanced debate here
This thread is not about bashing hewitt, it is about discussing what and why he said what he did. get over it

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
the thread title is for people to pay attention! I wanted to grab the hewitt-bashers and the hewitt-lovers both and not rehash the whole ugly davis cup match but if you want to go ahead, fine by me! :wavey:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Until Coria shows me he is capable of growing a beard, I have no respect for him.

boliviana
08-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Sounds like the only valid responses to this are the ones that ensure its bashing of hewitt. That's just stupid. These comments came after an extremely ugly and heated match between coria and hewitt. they have to be seen in light of what had just taken place, and how each was provoked by what the other said during and after the match. No one wants to start a retaliatory thread entitled "Finally Coria replaces choking instincts with killer instincts" and so the optimal thing to do is have a balanced debate here
This thread is not about bashing hewitt, it is about discussing what and why he said what he did. get over it

But those comments aren't the only ones . . . he called a ref a fag . . . he's got a history that goes back a ways on this . . . if it's racism then it's lack of tolerance . . . whatever it is, it isn't excusable. His comments weren't confined to Coria . . . he went on to add stuff about all the argentines and the language thing . . . he's damn redneck . . .

uNIVERSE mAN
08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
But those comments aren't the only ones . . . he called a ref a fag . . . he's got a history that goes back a ways on this . . . if it's racism then it's lack of tolerance . . . whatever it is, it isn't excusable. His comments weren't confined to Coria . . . he went on to add stuff about all the argentines and the language thing . . . he's damn redneck . . .

you're on coke.

gsm
08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
lol @ boliviana and friends...

Turkeyballs Paco
08-11-2005, 06:59 PM

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

waaaa waaaa waaaa

How old are you? I'm guessing... 11?

irma
08-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I guess that leaves Hewee one option. He should hire a teacher and learn Spanish!

Jelena
08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess that leaves Hewee one option. He should hire a teacher and learn Spanish!

Actually that was that, what I thought too. He should ask one of the native Spanish speaking colleagues to give him Spanish lessons. I know they appreciate it a lot even if you only ask them in their native language how they are. And that would be a beginning....

NYCtennisfan
08-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Until Coria shows me he is capable of growing a beard, I have no respect for him.

LOL!

Eve83
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, at least he didn´t fail to mention Blake;)

bad gambler
08-11-2005, 11:36 PM
:lol:

Lisbeth
08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Of course many of the Spanish speakers (and for that matter, other European language speakers) are able to speak English to varying degrees but they probably choose to chat in the locker room in Spanish to other Spanish speakers rather than in English to the English speakers. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing wrong with Lleyton pointing out the fact either.

A lot of not so subtle stuff was said by both sides surrounding that tie and it's already been done to death.

connectolove
08-12-2005, 12:00 AM
NADAL IS GOING TO KICK HEWITT'S ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigmagirl91
08-12-2005, 02:06 AM
NADAL IS GOING TO KICK HEWITT'S ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic:

drf716
08-12-2005, 03:50 AM
he shows lots of signs that perhaps he is

binkygirl
08-12-2005, 06:25 AM
I think that Hewitt is very, very ignorant. You have to remember that his priority growing up was tennis and not school. His intellectual development is 'lacking' to say the least.

Anna777
08-12-2005, 06:38 AM
You know what? Sorry to all the people who like Hewitt - but he's poo. There's nothing pretty about his behaviour or his attitude. Whether he's racist or not, I'm not sure, but the fact that people are questioning it is bad enough for me. I got no respect for the man.

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 06:55 AM
OK I have no problem with people not liking Lleyton for whatever reason they choose, BUT ...

Anna777, if you seriously believe that the fact someone questions a player (especially on an internet forum) is sufficient proof that they have the trait that is being questioned, how can you possibly be a fan of anyone? Every single player gets accused of something bad from time to time.

Just looking at your avatar, some people questioned whether Coria had a tendency towards criminal violence after what he said about Lleyton but if you actually believed that you'd be a fool AND miss out on enjoying some great tennis.

These guys are real people and highly talented (and competitive) ones at that - taking one or two comments out of context doesn't give a fair picture of any of them.

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Well, at least he didn´t fail to mention Blake;)

I'll pay that :lol:

Anna777
08-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Damn- i got told! My apologies - it's just that the issue is racism and, well, its something i feel that not a single person on earth should possess - even in the slightest degree - and for an issue such as this to be going around in the game of tennis, I dunno, it shits me i guess.

alelysafina
08-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Hewitt isn't racist, he just wasn't born with the filter in your brain that tells you what to say and what to keep to yourself..

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 07:47 AM
That's OK Anna 777 - and I didn't mean any personal attack on you ... I just know a fair bit about Lleyton and realise he's way more complicated (not to mention far more socially minded and compassionate) than one might think from the isolated comments certain people choose to post here. Plus I also feel strongly about racism (indeed have spent a fair part of my professional life actively fighting it) and don't think it's an accusation which should be bandied around lightly or without telling all sides of a story ;)

Anna777
08-12-2005, 07:47 AM
And i forgot to mention: i never said Hewitt has no talent - and as i said before I don't know whether he is racist or not - so my dislike towards him is not based solely on the question of his character, that's stupid and unfair.

alelysafina
08-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Damn- i got told! My apologies - it's just that the issue is racism and, well, its something i feel that not a single person on earth should possess - even in the slightest degree - and for an issue such as this to be going around in the game of tennis, I dunno, it shits me i guess.

I wish for that too anna, but unfortunately, even amongst the most accepting of people there is a touch a racism. I think everyone is racist, the difference is just the extent of racist that you are.

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 07:49 AM
alelysafina, there is a touch of truth in both your comments above :)

People are entitled to like and dislike whichever players they like :)

Anna777
08-12-2005, 07:50 AM
So are we cool? - Sounds like we're about to biff! lol
Perhaps if i change my 1st statement: Racism is poo.

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
If you mean with me, we're totally cool :yeah:

Anyway, we can rely on Coria and Hewitt to biff for us if required :lol:

Anna777
08-12-2005, 08:01 AM
:haha: - Mental image! :boxing:

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
i'd give the edge to hewitt if it ever came down to that!!

amierin
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Question: On a separate subject, do you think looking back and reflecting on what happened over the weekend, do you think the officials kind of lost control of your match? Also, does it seem to you, what's the deal with these guys from Argentina and you or what?

Lleyton: It was a weird situation on the weekend. I didn't feel like I actually did anything wrong at all throughout the match. I felt like their captain, Alberto Mancini, was definitely trying to put Coria in that kind of frame of mind I think right from the start, you know, him questioning and going to the referee the whole time instead of just using the chair umpire. I think definitely think the chair umpire could have been a lot firmer. There was no need for the referee to come out every second game on the court. Obviously, the crowd is going to get a lot more involved when that kind of stuff happens as well. You know, spitting involved again. There was a lot of incidents I think that just added up to it not quite being a tennis match.

Question: Do you think some of the bad blood might carry over next time you play one of those guys or do you think it's going to be not forgotten but isolated?

Lleyton: I'm not sure. You know, obviously, there are a couple of guys that I definitely wouldn't go and have a beer with, that's for sure. That's just the way I see it. You know, they're obviously very fortunate that there's a lot of Argentines on the tour as well and in the locker rooms that they can hang around with, a lot of their close mates out there. At the moment, the only English-speaking guys are Andy Roddick, James Blake, a couple American guys, Tim Henman and myself. That's about it. We're outweighed in the actual speaking department in the locker room.

I'm coming late to the debate but reading the statements in context like this reaffirms my feelings that the man has ideas that don't fit in a sport like tennis which is an international sport. This coming on the heels of my finding out he refused to dance with one of the Williams sisters during the post Wimbledon ball adds to my feelings that he is racist.

I hope the Spanish Armada, the Argentinians, and any other Latino/Hispanic players do what they do in baseball here in the States when some player shoots of his mouth and disses a team or its players and posts this on the walls of their training courts and lockers.

And I agree with whomever said Rafa is gonna nail LH's azz to the wall when they play again.
(...)

Rex
08-12-2005, 12:32 PM
there is definateky too much drama here with lleyton hewitt, i think that is the make-up of sport, but i still believe it to be too much right now.

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Considering Hewitt's best friend is an indigenous Australian, so no he is not exactly white and his coach is Lebanese, so yes it's very clear that Hewitt holds some very clear white power views.

Experimentee
08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Considering Hewitt's best friend is an indigenous Australian, so no he is not exactly white and his coach is Lebanese, so yes it's very clear that Hewitt holds some very clear white power views.

It is possible to have non-white friends and still be racist, though I'm not saying Hewitt is.

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
It is possible to have non-white friends and still be racist, though I'm not saying Hewitt is.

Ok, a black and an Arab friend, so all he needs now is an Asian or a Hispanic, then he'd have the set then?

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
it is said that covertly racist people count the number of black friends they have. its like 'hey i'm not racist i have four black friends who have been over at my place collectively eight times.' :lol:
lleyton need a mind brake.

max122
08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Hewitt needs to chill! and Relax and enjoy tennis on the courts... stop being such an ass :P

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
it is said that covertly racist people count the number of black friends they have. its like 'hey i'm not racist i have four black friends who have been over at my place collectively eight times.' :lol:
lleyton need a mind brake.

Considering everyone is racist or guilty of forming ethnic stereotypes at some point or another I doubt Hewitt is someone who dances around in white robes and reads Mein Kampf for inspiration.

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 02:23 PM
i dont think that he's KKK but he probably is covertly racist!! Everyone is to some degree covertly racist!

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:27 PM
i dont think that he's KKK but he probably is covertly racist!! Everyone is to some degree covertly racist!

That's true enough.

Socket
08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
This coming on the heels of my finding out he refused to dance with one of the Williams sisters during the post Wimbledon ball adds to my feelings that he is racist.
That had nothing to do with her color, only the size of her boobs. He was afraid of damage to his eyes.

It never happened. It's a rumor that's been floating for years, but it never happened. Find me a newspaper article that says that he refused to dance with Serena. Saying that your hairdresser's best friend's cousin read it doesn't count.

:rolleyes: at this entire thread. If you guys hate Hewitt so much, why do you devote so much time to talking about him?

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
:rolleyes: at this entire thread. If you guys hate Hewitt so much, why do you devote so much time to talking about him?

I wouldn't know I don't actually think Hewitt has these views that some people want him to have, but you are the best Hewitt apologist around, so you can do a much better job of defending him than I ever could.

mitalidas
08-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by amierin
This coming on the heels of my finding out he refused to dance with one of the Williams sisters during the post Wimbledon ball adds to my feelings that he is racist.

There was no post Wimbledon ball so this must be another invention

Socket
08-12-2005, 03:04 PM

And there hasn't been for years, only a sit-down dinner. That moron is misremembering that Serena once asked Lleyton to play MD at a tournament when they were both starting out, but he couldn't because he had already signed in to play with his sister. This is how vicious rumors get started and repeated.

Of course, when your motivation is hatred, the truth of the matter is irrelevant, and you're more than happy to post slanderous lies, thereby making a public fool of yourself.

DayTripperGH
08-12-2005, 05:56 PM

even if it was just MD you have to remember that a has a gf [a fiancee now]
so its really his choice if he wants to or not

hewitt is my favorite player...but ill give you that it was a racist comment
it was saying "tehy are very lucky to have argentenians to chat with" implies that argentenians aren't liked therefore they are lucky to have people from the same country...this may have been said...fine...but understand this was said out of hate of Coria...so i dont think he meant all argentenians...so give him a break...everybody lets words slip out (i dont see anything else racist in there)

alfonsojose
08-12-2005, 06:01 PM
If little Hewitt is born as black as the night , i'd die laughing :lol: :devil:

Nimomunz
08-12-2005, 06:02 PM
If little Hewitt is born black as the night , i'd die laughing :lol: :devil:
:lol: what goes thru your head sometimes?!?

Lee
08-12-2005, 06:06 PM
If little Hewitt is born black as the night , i'd die laughing :lol: :devil:

:rolls: :haha:

binkygirl
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm coming late to the debate but reading the statements in context like this reaffirms my feelings that the man has ideas that don't fit in a sport like tennis which is an international sport. This coming on the heels of my finding out he refused to dance with one of the Williams sisters during the post Wimbledon ball adds to my feelings that he is racist.

(...)

When did dancing return to the Wimbledon ball? I thought that 77 or 78 was the last year for that.

Socket
08-12-2005, 11:50 PM
When did dancing return to the Wimbledon ball? I thought that 77 or 78 was the last year for that.
Dancing has not returned. The person who posted that lied.

Lisbeth
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Lleyton and Serena played doubles together at the AO one year (see cute pics attached :D !) so obviously he had no problem with potentially spending hours with her on a tennis court ;)

Anyone who believes and spreads the dance story is at best reactionary, gullible and ill informed :)

ultraX
08-13-2005, 03:14 AM
no offense to Hewitt fans BUT

I've never liked this guys anyway, neither for his game or his style
I think he SUCKS....

jes_021
08-13-2005, 05:29 AM
no offense to Hewitt fans BUT

I've never liked this guys anyway, neither for his game or his style
I think he SUCKS....

Which has absolutey nothing to do with this thread, but is just a way of bashing Hewitt.

victoria_maraude
08-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Guys, I don't know if it's true, but i've read an article about Hewitt callin' Srichaphan "Fucking Chinese" during a match. Do you know anything about it?

Lisbeth
08-13-2005, 07:12 AM
I can sure you if any Aussie tennis player ever said that it would be big news in Oz considering we have a huge and powerful Asian population and I've never even heard of this story before right now Another false story someone made up to "prove" their preconceived ideas. I'd mention that he has at least one young Asian-Australian hitting partner he mentors but no-one would listen :rolleyes:

Sigh. Would anyone else like to make up or repeat any complete lies about Lleyton without any evidence? Or at least a link to where they "heard" or "read" it.

misyou25
08-13-2005, 10:46 AM
he wasnt being racist, he was honest...if he can't deal with some people personnally it's his problem and it's true that there are many many spanish speaking tennis players right now...geez...when you're hewitt you have to be careful with every word you say :lol:

tennisvideos
08-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Can't remember who said this, but I love it:

"If you look for racism you will find it".

IMO, judgement and hatred are equal in stature to racism. We should take an honest look at ourselves sometimes before hurling stones.

misyou25
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
that's true...you could also say i'm a racist cos i dont like the williams sisters

PamV
08-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Yeah, and Coria was grabbing his crotch during the match showing his groin to the chair ump after some call he didn't like. Then he started making that Swedish gesture with his hand to mock Hewitt. Both Hewitt and Coria were going at each other....it was a heated match.

As for that particular quote about language.....it seems he's only commenting that there are few Argentenian players who don't have many friends which implys they have nasty personalities. There's no racisim in that. It seems like the "rascist" accusation is thrown around so freely today when it doesn't even apply. Spanish speakers are not limited to any certain race. What does race have to do with it?

PamV
08-13-2005, 01:56 PM
even if it was just MD you have to remember that a has a gf [a fiancee now]
so its really his choice if he wants to or not

hewitt is my favorite player...but ill give you that it was a racist comment
it was saying "tehy are very lucky to have argentenians to chat with" implies that argentenians aren't liked therefore they are lucky to have people from the same country...this may have been said...fine...but understand this was said out of hate of Coria...so i dont think he meant all argentenians...so give him a break...everybody lets words slip out (i dont see anything else racist in there)

Right! The statement is not racist....by the way Argentinian is not a race....it's a nationality. Spanish speakers come in all races also.

Hewitt was not refering to all Argentians he was refering to a few guys he wouldn't want to have a beer with because of the on court temper flare ups....Coria and a few others. There was one guy who spit at him I can't remember who that was.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Dancing has not returned. The person who posted that lied.

I have to spread love before I can give you a good rep, but this is just so funny! :wavey:

Socket
08-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I have to spread love before I can give you a good rep, but this is just so funny! :wavey:
:) I have been told that I have that good old New Yorker directness down pat.

PamV
08-13-2005, 11:29 PM

Calling a ref a Fag isn't racist.....but have you ever paid attention to the names the Roddick calls umpires and linesmen? Soderling is very obnoxious to his opponents during matches yet no one talks about him. One player's actions don't justify another's but the point is why crucify Hewitt and not examine everyone equally?

If you have a bunch of actual statement he made then please provide the exact quotes and don't just generalize. Apparently the Argentine guys have the history of not liking Hewitt and it goes both ways. Both sides have said stuff. In this thread the quote that Hewitt made only said there were a few guys he wouldn't want to have a beer with. Is that being racist? Does a player need to like everyone on the tour?

PamV
08-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm coming late to the debate but reading the statements in context like this reaffirms my feelings that the man has ideas that don't fit in a sport like tennis which is an international sport.
(...)

Reading this thread has made me think that there are a lot immature overly sensitive tennis fans who will use Hewitt as a whipping boy just for fun. He could say he doesn't like Swiss cheese and that would be construed as racist against Federer.

Can't people comprehend that there are a few players who don't like each other on tour? For that matter Gaudio and Coria had a lot of bitterness between them and a fist fight in the locker room at one time.....does that make them racists too?

Socket
08-13-2005, 11:57 PM
PamV for President!!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

PamV
08-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks Socket. I plan to run on a platform of equality for eveyrone. If we are going to pick apart everything Hewitt says then let's do that to everyone.

Hokit
08-14-2005, 01:16 AM
is hewitt racist? ... or just languagist?

The second one: 'languagist'. He has a temper and it can get in the way of his tennis. But besides that '01 US Open match against Blake, I don't think he's said anything incriminating.

Anna777
08-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Can't people comprehend that there are a few players who don't like each other on tour? For that matter Gaudio and Coria had a lot of bitterness between them and a fist fight in the locker room at one time.....does that make them racists too?

:eek: Fist fight???? Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but can i get details on that??

alfonsojose
08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
:eek: Fist fight???? Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but can i get details on that??
i think it was in Hamburg 2003, SF. Don't know if it was physical, but they had a row or something very heated

lau
08-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Gaudio and Coria obviously don´t get along..... , but a fist fight?! :rolleyes:
As far as I know, there was no fist fight....

boliviana
08-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Wertheim on Hewitt . . .

When Nadal sues the tour, makes homophobic and racially-tinged remarks during matches, and acts as though every off-court demand on his time is akin to a request for his left kidney, I would be more inclined to agree. But a few of you have taken issue with Nadal's emoting, so I'll post this as you can continue the discourse, if you like, on message boards, etc.

oneandonlyhsn
08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Calling a ref a Fag isn't racist.....but have you ever paid attention to the names the Roddick calls umpires and linesmen? Soderling is very obnoxious to his opponents during matches yet no one talks about him. One player's actions don't justify another's but the point is why crucify Hewitt and not examine everyone equally?

If you have a bunch of actual statement he made then please provide the exact quotes and don't just generalize. Apparently the Argentine guys have the history of not liking Hewitt and it goes both ways. Both sides have said stuff. In this thread the quote that Hewitt made only said there were a few guys he wouldn't want to have a beer with. Is that being racist? Does a player need to like everyone on the tour?

:worship: :worship: :worship:

revolution
08-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, the Blake thing was what made me dislike him. Nothing against his tennis as he's the second best all round player in the world IMO unless Safin is up for it, but his behaviour pisses me off.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Strange he would feud with Blake considering James is one of the nicest guys on tour. Very humble and articulate.

PamV
08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Gaudio and Coria obviously don´t get along..... , but a fist fight?! :rolleyes:
As far as I know, there was no fist fight....

Yes, they had a fist fight in the locker room. There was a lot of jealousy between them at one time.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Yes, they had a fist fight in the locker room. There was a lot of jealousy between them at one time.

Gaudio was jealous that Coria had Carla.

cleverdutchclogs
08-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Gaudio was jealous that Coria had Carla.

Who is Carla?

Doctor Dance
08-22-2005, 03:05 AM
i think hewitt's behaviour has improved a little since the early 2000's. Back then i really couldn't stand the guy, he was very obnoxious on court but now of course he still does his c'mons and all but mostly he is ok.

Still isn't one of my favourite players

sigmagirl91
08-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Who is Carla?

Ummm....Coria's wife.

cleverdutchclogs
08-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Ummm....Coria's wife.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

lau
08-22-2005, 03:30 AM
You`re ruining the Hewitt bashing :( :p
If you say so PamV, you seem to be so sure... :p To tell you the truth, I couldn´t care less, but Why Horna said to Coria "I`m not Gaudio I`ll actually hit you"?? ;)
:scratch: I could be mixing dates :shrug:
Trust me, if a fist fight in a locker room happened between Coria and Gaudio it would be in all the newspapers and TV shows here.